News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco, GA August 13-14, 2011

Started by 4merUSMC1803, August 15, 2011, 06:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4merUSMC1803

Saturday morning, at the West Georgia Youth Range, started out hot; typical of West Georgia in the "dog days" of August.  However, twenty patriots were treated to the story encompassing the legendary exploits of Paul Revere, John Parker, Isaac Davis, and many other great revolutionary heros!  The attendees shot some "redcoats" of their own.  They learned the six steps of firing the shot, the steady hold factors for various positions, and Natural Point of Aim.  They practiced and learned about their individual rifles and received an introduction to the AQT.  Afterwards, shooters measured the progress of their marksmanship skills against more "redcoats".

Even with the threat of scattered thundershowers on Sunday, once again, attendees struck another blow for liberty.  Most showed great progress and improvement as they challenged themselves against the AQT, time and again.  In spite of the heat and humidity they persisted.  They heard more about the deeds and sacrifices from Mr. Whittemore, Mr. Lamson, Mr. Wyman, and the plucky Mother Batherick, among others.  As severe weather threatened later in the afternoon, they closed out the day with a final run at the redcoats.

We were very fortunate to have expert help from the instructor staff, including: RHs, Dr John & franklinfarmer,  and IITs Col Barrett, cadman, & cswhitfield, as well as a special Benediction from Georgia's State Coordinator, friedenmeister.  With this top-notch team shouldering the load and "pushing the cart", an informative and fun weekend resulted for both shooters and instructors. 

In the tradition of the worthy blacksmith, Captain Isaac Davis, as he toiled and tempered the steel bayonets for his Acton militia men, two Riflemen were forged during this weekend; Adam H. with a 218 and Jeff B. with a 210!

Waco Appleseeders, we're looking forward to your after action coments!
D Lawley

edindah

This was my first attendance at an Appleseed and I have got to thank all of the Red Hats and Orange Hats for a great experience.  All of them had the patience of Job, willing and able to attend to an individual shooting instructions, which really paid off. I salute the two individuals that earned their Rifleman Badge - it is certainly not a giveaway token, but something you really have to earn. I was also impressed with the young folks attending this event (I wish I had their energy and stamina!). All took the course in a very serious and responsible manner. These are the leaders of tomorrow. My congrats to Col. (Cpl) Barrett for getting his Red Hat.  As I write this, I am still feeling some aches in places I have not had in many, many years, but each ache was obtained by practicing the shooting positions taught and truly added to better groupings on the targets.  (I did enjoy putting the lead in the red!)  Perhaps what impressed me most was the dedication of the instructors. Since they are all volunteers, there is a certain genuine eagerness to share their knowledge. I thank each one of them. I also appreciate our Shoot Boss explaining the Genesis of the Appleseed Project, which I hope is explained and  incorporated in all future events.
Nec Aspera Terrant

Georgia Gator

This was my 2nd Appleseed, and I had another great time.  It was satisfying to qualify on the first AQT we shot even if was just barely qualifying.  I realize I still have a ton to learn to reach my goals as a shooter.  Thank you to the instructors who devoted their time this weekend.  The history lessons had an even greater impact on me the second time around. 

Col Barrett

Edinda and Ga Gator, it was great working with both of you this weekend. I am glad you were both able to be part of a wonderful Appleseed. I hope to see you both again before too long. Keep dry firing and share the appleseed message with others when you have a chance.

Congrats to GG for scoring Rifleman and thank you Ed. See yall soon!

cswhitfield

It was another great weekend with some very fine Americans.  Thank you all for coming and participating.  It was truly a privilege to share time with you.  Below is the first installment of pictures.  I will post more as time allows. 

Thank you all,

csw
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

Installment #2
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Piker

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

cswhitfield

Some more pictures.

cswhitfield

and some more

cswhitfield

a few more

cswhitfield

And finally!  Hope everyone has a picture or two to enjoy. 

cswhitfield

OOPS!  Guess I should have attached the pics before I posted :slap:

DrJohn

What a pleasure to work with such dedicated students as we had at Waco last weekend. I believe Darrell mentioned that the volunteer instructors don't get paid except for the improvement  we see in the shooters' marksmanship skills. Well, I consider we got paid very well at Waco. My commendation to such a fine group, and I hope to see all of you again soon on the Appleseed "trail". And I also hope you bring as many of your relatives, friends, and acquaintances as you can. Huzza!!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

franklinfarmer

It was a pleasure to work with all of you at the West Georgia Youth range.

Great job on the photos, Craig.  I got a kick out of Dennis showing up to shoot in his flip-flops, but the photo of him "barefoot and prone" really cracks me up.  (This is not recommended footwear---just for the record---but I guess we do emphasize the importance of relaxation!)

I think it's fair to say we got a good cursory description of our examples, the riflemen Hezekiah Wyman, Isaac Davis, John Parker, Samuel Whittemore, Mary Batherick, and so on.  It's now up to us to continue the journey of becoming a rifleman.  Follow their examples.  To learn more, the book Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer is a good place to start.
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce