News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Bellevue, MI July 30-31, 2011

Started by ITB, August 01, 2011, 11:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Wow, this was a great weekend!  A great bunch of shooters who showed MUCH improvement, a team of instructors who ALL brought their "A" game, a top-notch host range, new Riflemen (and Riflewomen), new IIT's, and great weather.  What more can you ask for?

Well, we also had lots of sun, warm temperatures, hot dogs and sloppy joes for lunch, great history, flying canopies, tossed cookies, enough empty water and Gatorade bottles to build a small house, hot rifles, flying lead (literally), hotter brass and, most importantly, lots of fun.  And no one needed to be wheeled away for heat exhuastion (except for a couple of instructors  ;) ).

Congratulations to our new Riflemen (and woman) - Bill, Larry, Bob, Stacy and Steve.  You guys did great!

Usul and Ruby - you guys are knocking on the door - 208 and 205.  One of the traits of a Rifleman is persistence.  I look forward to handing you the Rifleman patch at a future event.

Thanks to our father/son duos - Douglas, Daniel, Matthew, Mike, Kevin and Luke.  It's great having multiple generations on the line, and it gives me hope for our future.

Thanks to my wonderful team of instructors - you guys did some great history - both strikes and DOM's.  With a crew like this, it's easy for me to look good as the Shoot Boss.

Congrats to Michigan's two new Red Hats - Bill Winkle and Grindstone!!!!   Huzzah!!!   Now, get back to work..... ~~:)

Here are a few pics - my camera got buried in the truck and only surfaced Sunday afternoon.  Anyone else who has pics, please post up!

Thanks again to everyone for a great shoot.

Waveman shooting an AQT with his Garand - notice how the expert photographer  %)  caught the clip and shell casing caught in midair above the rifle:

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Rascal21

Thank you for being a great shoot boss!  ~~:)

FYI, we think the rifle is toast from the squib. The receiver is bowed, the barrel is bloated out about half way down......It's 30 years old, may just be time for a new one.  :'( It got the job done beforehand with the Rifleman score. ;D

I am looking forward to a lot of pictures, since we had MANY cameras around over the 2 days. :) I Have quite a few but they are at home, will post later :)

ITB

Stacy - thanks for the kind words.  I'm sorry to hear about the rifle, but I'm glad that you weren't hurt.  If you and Larry are planning on tossing the receiver and barrel, I'd love to have them as a demonstration tool when I talk about squibs in my safety briefing. 

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

mac66

The persistence of the shooters never ceases to amaze me. The heat was pretty brutal and yet I heard no complaints, just gritty determination to learn and get better.  These shooters are not couch potatoes, they are out there learning markmanship and history, making their ancestors proud.

It is a pleasure to be among such people.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Rascal21

Rascal21

Rascal21

Rascal21

Just in case anyone was interested in what we pulled out of my rifle last night :)

Rascal21

Also, if anyone has a picture of me getting my patch, I would love to have a copy, please post!!!!

Thank you!
Stacy

Superheat

Wow another wonderful weekend at Bellevue.  The youth shooters were MOST impressive.  Luke handled a bolt action tuber better than most adults.  O0  Matt and Dan were tough ALL weekend.  :--- :~ 
Rose gets my most improved.
Usul and Ruby, we get to do it again... ;D You both have a wonderful attitude and the Rifleman persistence.  It just putting all four stages together. 

Listening to history in the shade.

A full line is a Beautiful thing!

SpiderBITE 

Madhatter and Dan

BILL X 2

Min and Joy

Usul and Ruby

Superheat

A good orange hat has your back and  your stomach?? #)

Two very happy "former" orange hats!

50% more red hats in ONE weekend Priceless..

Rose working hard at her marksmanship.

Larry

Waveman and Usul

DOES PINK CLASH WITH RED?

Superheat

MORE!!

Rascal our newest 'RIFLEWOMAN' and  head of bellevue promotions  ;D

Thats 42 E's

One tired crew

Rascal21

Thanks Superheat!!!! Love the pictures!

Usul

Thanks everyone. Once again, a great time. 208!! :slap:
Congrats Grind, Billwinkle and all the new riflemen! :)
See you at the next one.

btw, does anyone know the come-up from 25yd for a 75yd shot with a 36gn 22LR (or how I can figure it out)? Anything I've found doesn't seem to put it in terms that we were taught.

There's a conflict between my beans and some rabbits, and I'm going to mediate for them.

hawkhavn

Hmmm,
The strength of the base of the pillar, that would make a fine sentiment for an Appleseed Instructor to have.  I'll have to think on that for a bit.

Now, Usul, in regards to your posed question.

Remember the formula: Inches, minutes and clicks

I would prefer to determine the answer experimentally.

Measure out your two target distances (in this case 25/75 yards). Shoot a 5 round group at each range with the same point of aim (Center or 6 o'clock hold) for each target.

Measure the drop between the 2 groups. You now have the inches part of your equation.

Good luck on your mediation strategy!
Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Usul

Thanks, hawkhavn!
Soooo... if the drop distance is say 6"

... and i'm shooting 75yds ... 1 MOA is 3/4" at 75 yds... it's an ... 8 MOA difference...  on a 1/4 scope....

32 clicks up?

Grindstone

Usul,

Your math is correct, if you found yourself 6" low at 75 yards 32 clicks would be right. If your 6" is coming from a trajectory table on the ammo box, you will need to correct for the elevation of the scope above the bore axis. If you subtract the drop @25 from the drop @75, then it might be pretty close. But is is still best to determine experimentally because the trajectory table doesn't consider a bunch of real world factors that influence the flight speed.

More pictures here:
http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k576/Qn2m7g4DE/Appleseed/Bellevue%202011_07_30/

Rascal21

What are everyone's thoughts about canopies over the firing line???  Just a thought for next time....

Also, I do have a suggestion due to all of the casing burns I sustained this weekend :D  If the line gets longer than 20 individaul shooters, I think we should either turn the line sideways or open up both of the 100yd ranges for shooting.

Again, just some thoughts I have had since Sunday! I know that the burns are par for the course when shooting on a line #)

mac66

Quote from: Usul on August 02, 2011, 11:33:41 PM
Thanks, hawkhavn!
Soooo... if the drop distance is say 6"

... and i'm shooting 75yds ... 1 MOA is 3/4" at 75 yds... it's an ... 8 MOA difference...  on a 1/4 scope....

32 clicks up?

Except that a 22 is pretty flat shooting out to 75 yards or so and then drops off. My charts indicate that a 22HV sighted in at 25 yards will be approx 1.25" low at 75 but about 4.75" low at 100.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Superheat

Mac,
That was my thought.  For field use at 75 yds I would just hold 2" high and Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.  I would like to confirm with known distance.  Usul has a pretty typical 10/22 with scope.  Anyone know where the crossover is when sighted in at 25 meters.  (I scored his 208, I know he is sighted in) ;D

ITB

Quote from: Rascal21 on August 03, 2011, 08:32:13 AM
What are everyone's thoughts about canopies over the firing line???  Just a thought for next time....

Also, I do have a suggestion due to all of the casing burns I sustained this weekend :D  If the line gets longer than 20 individaul shooters, I think we should either turn the line sideways or open up both of the 100yd ranges for shooting.

Again, just some thoughts I have had since Sunday! I know that the burns are par for the course when shooting on a line #)

Stacy - I'm generally not very pro on canopies on the line.  And at Centerline, we're facing east-west, so we'd have to keep moving them to keep in the shade.  For safety and efficiency for quickly clearing the line, I prefer to keep the line as uncluttered as possible.  Perhaps if we were having nonstop heavy rain, it might be a possibility.

I'd love to open up the other half of the 100-yard range.  In fact, that's my plan.  We only had 15 shooters pre-registered and had six walk-ons.  Usually there are only a few walkons at best, so I'd figured that 20 was plenty and no need to use the other side.  And I've already spoken with Judy turning the line sideways and shooting into the side berm and she's ok with it.  I'd love nothing more that to be forced to do that to accommodate 60 shooters.  Sounds like a challenge to our Bellevue promotions team...... ~~:)

Rascal21

Hey, There is nothing wrong with the Bellevue Promotions Team! In fact I was going to ask you what the Michigan Schedule looked like in October/November as I would like to try and get an Appleseed shoot when it is a bit cooler out (I know we are in Michigan, but these FL temps are killing me) and normally October is still temperate and generally very little of the s word!

I Have talked to quite a few people who are interested but are wondering how AS would work for them, as they only have bolt action rifles...Can you give me some pointers, that may get us a few more.

mac66

Quote from: Superheat on August 03, 2011, 08:45:40 AM
Mac,
That was my thought.  For field use at 75 yds I would just hold 2" high and Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.  I would like to confirm with known distance.  Usul has a pretty typical 10/22 with scope.  Anyone know where the crossover is when sighted in at 25 meters.  (I scored his 208, I know he is sighted in) ;D

Crossover is 55.
Ronald Reagan

George Hacker

Rascal21,

There were a lot of bolt-action rifles seen at my first Appleseed in Castle Rock, WA.  In fact I think the young man with the red stocking cap became a rifleman with a bolt-action rifle.  Go to the following AAR to see pics of them in action (and send your friends there too) http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23755.0.  Appleseeds are easier with semi-autos, but they are also bolt-action friendly too (and I suspect lever-action in a pinch).  :)

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Superheat

Quote from: Rascal21 on August 03, 2011, 11:38:02 AM
I would like to try and get an Appleseed shoot when it is a bit cooler out (I know we are in Michigan, but these FL temps are killing me) and normally October is still temperate and generally very little of the s word!

I Have talked to quite a few people who are interested but are wondering how AS would work for them, as they only have bolt action rifles...Can you give me some pointers, that may get us a few more.

After the first three events at Bellevue, I WOULD LOVE TO COME IN THE FALL! 

In Lapeer we made THREE bolt action riflemen in ONE day!  Yes it can be done.  Smooooooth is the method.  Run what you brung as ITB would say!  Luke was doing great with his bolt action squirrel killer.

Rascal21

Been a little warm for your liking there superheat??? We have had awesome weather, as far as rain goes, but the heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shootself: