News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Flash flood! Er...Report: Searsboro, IA!

Started by Junior Birdman, April 20, 2008, 12:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Birdman

Rain, rain, and then rain. Finally stopped some time in the early morning, before daylight, and then it really got cold. 2 of the 4 ranges we were to use were flooded, so we had to improvise, adapt and overcome.

None of the above stopped 45, (I think), shooters from coming out though! Some from IL, SD, etc. All chomping at the bit to seed!

Since we were overrun with shooters, both available lines had to run relays, but this worked pretty well, and should prove the same tomorrow.  The relay did slow things down though, and we only turned out one practice AQT just before it got too dark. It was a LONG day, but the shooters took us up on the offer to stay as long as they wanted to shoot.

Could y'all hear the "Shot heard across America"? We did our part!  And the 3 "HUZZAHS!" afterwards?  Yeah, that was us too.

Great history! Great food! Great shooters! And the greatest thing is that I get to go back and jump in the same pool tomorrow! (And they say the sun will be shining!)

Can't wait to see the AARs from the other shoots!    JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

cmidkiff

Rain?  I didn't see any rain, just mud, standing water, flooded fields...  Had to set my tent up on a concrete slab... if I'd have set it in the grass, we would have needed scuba gear.

What a great time!

Jr Birdman ran us as a relay through both days, on two of the four ranges.  The other two would have had us up to our waist in muck.  The two shorter ranges we used were all gravel, with the water table about a half inch below the surface.  Saturday was cold, windy enough to make keeping the target stands upright into a challenge, and wet.  Sunday was much more pleasant, with the sun finally making an appearance around 1pm and hanging around just long enough to sunburn my daughter's face and neck.

I thought someone said the total was 47 shooters, but I might be mistaken.  It was enough, for the facility and the conditions.  Had it not been so wet, we could have handled a hundred, but with the two large ranges closed... I'm glad we didn't have any more than we did.  Running as a relay slowed things down a great deal.

Jr. Birdman and the other instructors present did an excellent job. I know I learned a great deal, and my two teenage daughters in attendance improved a great deal over the weekend.  Both will be returning with me to the Osage Beach shoot this fall, and I have one more teen daughter who will be making her first Appleseed appearance.

Thanks, folks, for a great weekend, and a special thanks to Iowa-Mark's better half, for providing a hot lunch on a cold, dreary day.  Wonderful people, good conversation, great historical stories, and lots of shooting more than made up for the challenges that the weather presented.

If I remember right, Jr. Birdman handed out 3 rifleman patches over the weekend...

HUZZAH!   HUZZAH!   HUZZAH!

Junior Birdman

You had to be there Friday if you wanted to experience the monsoon.

Sunday looked much the same as Saturday; low, overcast skies and a cool breeze, and no rain. But the forecast was for shrinking groups and AQT's, so off we went again to dive into the pool of marksmanship.

We only lost 4 shooters from Saturday and gained one for Sunday, so a net loss of 3 wasn't too bad, but we were still forced to shoot in relays.

We started with a mass review of the basics, safety rules, six steps, steady hold factors, etc, and most shooters had a good grip on the skull work, so it was off to the firing line!

We polished off a few 4 minute squares before moving on to the AQT grind, and the shooters really shone. The relay ran smoothly and the shooters anticipated each move we made. Even the new guy kept up.

The day went really fast and the sun eventually did come through, and I finally got to show off my Appleseed T-shirt and get a bit of a tan. 

The berms were very muddy, and each strike of a 30 caliber bullet sent huge clods of mud high into the sky. Sometimes the mud clods would fall as far back as the firing line. One such clod, after it's mortar like flight, landed squarely on the rear sight of Miss S's rifle, splattering her face with mud. Good thing the safety goggles were in place! (Just as a consolation, she should know that many women here in NYC pay big bucks to have someone put mud on their faces. We at Appleseed provide this service at no charge)

At the end of the day, we decided to do a salute to the men who died on Lexington green on 19 April, 1775. Since we had 2 bays, it took a bit of doing, but it worked.  We posted 8 targets on each bay, one for each man killed. Then we divided into 8 teams on each bay. Miss M. was posted atop the dividing berm to act as a starter, and when she gave the signal, a line boss on each line read the name of one man killed, and a volley was fired. We then read the name of another man, and another volley was fired. This continued until we had read each name aloud and fired a volley in their honor. A fitting end to a weekend in their honor.

The shooters gathered one last time for last minute speeches and we handed out a couple more Rifleman's patches and lauded the man who cleared the "Minuteman's Challenge", top to bottom, in 40 seconds! (We're still waiting for someone to clear it with all rounds in the red, so I still have a chance!)

The remaining shooters helped clean up the site, store target backers, and replace the plate machines. After finishing out admin duties, the instructors departed, some heading home, the rest of us to dinner and a little after action rest and such. It felt good to sit down!

Iowa's first Appleseed went very well, all things considered. The range was soggy, but a great facility with huge potential. The folks who came were, as always, the best of the best. Despite the cold, wet, windy conditions, there was nary a complaint. Lots of smiles and many thanks for coming.  Thanks to Mrs. IOWA-mark for the hot food on Saturday! And a special shout out and thanks to Morgan for that life saving brownie.

I saw improvements all around and I hope the shooters will take the tools they got this weekend and continue to shoot and recruit! (I still have a bunch of Rifleman's patches!)
I also hope they went home with a new appreciation for their American heritage and history and the link they have through marksmanship with the men who stood firm on 19 April, 1775.   JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

Sheepdog

Hello to all!  Despite the rain and wet range this was a fantastic event. This was my first full Appleseed. My first experience with Appleseed was one day last October in Ottawa, IL. Now that was rain with the thunder and lightning making additional highlights.  The weather at Searsboro was tolerable and Sunday afternoon was perfect!

It was interesting to see the cadre come together pre-shoot and work out an action plan of how this was all going to happen. They divided us up and went to work. With our size the relays seemed to work well as one group received instruction, the other group applied the principles, worked the steps,  concentrated on hold factors, and refined positions

The range was a great facility with high berms running the entire sides.  Very safe design feature especially when the bees flew by. We were fed HOT food for free a little after noon on Saturday and boy did that taste good!

Instruction was top notch. I was with Jr. Birdman's crew. He oversaw two IIT (?) who worked as range safety officers and called the line on alternate days.  These guys were awesome too as they attended to online instruction, coaching, target analysis, and encouragement, constant encouragement! The line was run with the highest degree of safety that prevailed from start to end.

My overall impression and expectations were exceeded.  If anyone is reading this and considering attending their first Appleseed let me recommend it highly. This program and its instructors are ready to train, coach, and compliment any student willing to learn...from the beginner to somebody who has been shooting rifles since childhood.  This program IS for YOU. The fellow shooters were great too. Everybody there was motivated to learn and better their abilities.

After having been 'trained' by the military, NRA counselors, NRA Law Enforcement trainers, I have never been schooled as intensely and precisely as it was done this weekend.  Appleseed puts it all together and gives you the tools necessary to 'take it to a higher level.'

And then there were the stories. These guys did a great job setting the stage and relating the history and antidotes of the past. I've got a few books on order now based on suggestions made by Jr. Birdman.

Nuff said, It was great, thanks to all for making it happen, and a pleasure to exercise the 2nd with free men and women.

Best regards, Mike

RAMSEUR: SEVEN OH EIGHT

vmt193

This was my first experience with Appleseed and I really wasn't sure what to expect but figured I better at least try it once. Now, I have to say that it was one of the best firearms events I've ever been to. My son and I were on IOWA-Mark's squad with Alonzo1 providing the backup. It would have been nice to spend some time on Jr. Birdman's line too, but with the conditions I can see where moving everybody into new routines would have caused some slow-downs.

The history was great!!! The guys did a super job of story telling. Even though the pollen and stiff Iowa breeze made my eyes water a bit every now and then, the tales of what those men did and sacrificed to give us this Nation is humbling beyond description. WWII and Vietnam have always been pet subjects of mine, but I can see it's time to expand my horizons a bit. A trip to the library is now on the list.

SHOOTING: Yup, very crowded due to the flooding and lost use of a couple ranges by several days of heavy rains. The Big Springs Range is a super nice set-up and I would have liked to try some on the longer ranges. Even with shooting two relays on each range, I think the crowded lines may have held down some of the scores a bit, but it was nobody's fault.

I took the time beforehand to build up some LTRs with Tech-Sights and trigger kits, so I knew the rifles were up to it. We just needed to do our part. I had read Fred's Guide beforehand and knew the six steps, I just couldn't put 'em all together at the same time. After repeated nagging coaching by the instructors for a day and a half, we began to listen and gradually started pulling all the steps together for each shot. My son was knocking on the door of "Rifleman" all weekend but just couldn't break out of the 190s. Late in the day on the last AQT he was able to pull it together and shoot a 216. Being able to shake his hand after Jr. Birdman presented him with his Rifleman patch in front of the whole crew was THE highlight of my weekend and not soon forgotten!!!

I have a few friends and nephews to drag along next time but am also going to actively work toward a MN Appleseed. Looking for a spot already!!!

Thanks for a great time!

A nuther Mike

rgrosz

We started on a wet note, and was going to have a good time and learn something no matter what. We didn't have fancy LTR's or some centerfire rifles, just some rifles borrowed from my son's friend and some old bolt 22's. One of the loaned rifles was a 17 HMR with 200 rounds. We all learned something about using bolt guns. We would not trade it for anything. The skill we gained using and clearing the bolt guns will take us for a long time.
On the way home we discussed and cussed the weekend. My youngest Grandson said he is going to quiz his teacher on the War and the first days, I really believe he will. And another thing that I heard (this time for his Mom). She said he talked for at least an hour non-stop. He must have been really impressed. Al the other Grandson was far less talkative. But he was an old timer 'grinder' as he says it. He is one to ride skateboards around, he seams to take to shooting a lot to.
We sure enjoyed the history lessons and the shoot as a whole. When we get anther chance we will be back, and this time there is going to some Rifleman patches go home with us.

A hardy "THANK YOU" and the cheer of the day.

HUZZAH!!!!!!

Rob

Steelheart

I have an idea what the monsoon was like as it was heading north as I as heading south.  Fortunately it was done by the time I pulled into the range friday night.  Seeing standing water just about everywhere that wasn't gravel driving or parking area caused a bit of a pause but then I saw that the campers got to set up on the concrete pad for the 500yd swamp firing line.  Good thing I bring lots of rope as some was needed. 

I'm another who in the past was "trained" by the US Army and did fairly well but without regular rifle practice had allowed rust to form over my skills.  A good portion of that rust has been knocked off but there is still some left.  I suspect that it won't be there for much longer. ;)

Saturday morning a bit cool (I didn't plan for near winter conditions) and it didn't get much better the rest of the day.  But I think the cold was better than high temps where you have to worry about people having heat injuries from not drinking enough fluids.  I don't think I saw anyone else with something to drink in between relays on the line.

Sunday the weather was better.  It started out cool but still better than saturday.  During our history session at lunch it was amusing to watch the Southerners shiver.  ;D Yes, I'll admit now that it was a little cool in that wind but I wouldn't have admitted it there.  Once we got back to the line the weather was warming up nicely.  By the end it was one of those gorgeous days on the range.  Everyone seemed to be having fun and there skills were coming together as well.

Previous to attending the proper use of a sling just didn't click in my head.  Descriptions and pictures didn't do it for me.  Once I actually saw it then it came together.  Now I'm currently searching for some more slings as I know I'll want them in the future for various rifles (I currently have 3 but 2 are in use).  I also learned that once the weather gets nice (ie tee shirt temps) the same level of tension on the sling I was using with a fleece on would slowly make my hand go numb.  Not a big deal, just something to expect.

The history sessions were a nice addition to a great class on rifle marksmanship.  I especially liked the additions about events of April 20th 1775 and the stories about the old men who still went out to do what they could.

Everyone who attends will learn what they need to work on to better their rifle skills.  I know that I need to work on my sight picture, putting too much finger on the trigger and my trigger follow through.  Other shooters will have other issues.

Jr Birdman talked about the riflemans bubble.  Its something that I think I was able to pull off.  On the way home I stopped at a rest area to use the facilities.  As I untucked my shirt I heard something hit the floor.  I looked down and saw a steel case from a 223.  It must have rolled down behind my belt and stayed there during one of the last prone sessions.  I know that I was having cases land on my back and stay there until I was able to shift them off (at the end of a string).  When I saw the case on the floor I just started laughing.  That case is sitting on my desk by my lamp and probably will for a while.

Another training aid that doesn't require a firing line is the old Dime Washer drill.  If you were in the military you'll probably remember this one.  The "shooter" get themselves settled into a good prone shooting position (with a double checked unloaded rifle).  An assistant then places a dime (you want something small and light) or a washer of similar size and weight on the curved part of the barrel.  On an AR or M16 this would be ahead of the front sight for example.  The shooter then, with following all the proper steps for a shot, squeezes the trigger.  If its done right the dime will stay on the barrel.  If not, the dime will fall off.  The assistant can also watch to try and see what the shooter may be doing wrong if they know the proper steps.  I've seen some people who could then,  carefully, work the slide on an M16 without the dime falling off.  I think the longest I saw someone do was 7 or 8 trigger pulls until the dime fell off. 

I think I've got a buddy at work talked into attending now.  I know that I'll be attending another Appleseed.  I just need to figure out when I can take another weekend off.  Here's hoping that Iowa-Mark can get the possible shoot set up for Sept.

Oh, for those of us who are on this forum, when shooters are filling out there initial paperwork let them know that screen names are an option on the name tags.  I'll answer to either of my names (sometimes I go to sign emails as Steelheart if I've been on forums recently).

Steelheart
NRA & GOA Member     http://www.taurusarmed.net

alonso1

Well this was my first Appleseed outside of Texas.  It started off by me missing my flight and having to catch another one several hours later.

When I arrived in the great state of Iowa, the first thing I noticed was that it was cold.  Birdman was good enough to pick me up at the airport and that was the beginning of this Appleseed for me.

Saturday we started early, as stated before, the range was wet and muddy.  We had to break off into two groups and fire in relays.  I must say the relays kind of threw me off at first, it was a good thing I had Iowa-Mark and Alex there.

As the day went on, I had the chance to work with some really good people.  Steve and Gabe were shooting on the line and both of them had shot at a previous Appleseed.  John had the most unique rifle yet, it was a FNC, and it was a very nice piece.

Anyhow, due to the relay, I felt the shoot started a little slow but it began to pick up as we all started to get into the groove of things.

This Appleseed was the first time I had the chance to tell the third strike, I was worried at first but it turned out to be a lot of fun. 

As the day continued on I worked the line.  I was really happy to see a strong showing of young folks there (Good job parents and grandparents for bringing them to shoot).

Sunday we lost three shooters so Iowa-Mark and I decided to get everyone on line, it was tight but no more relays, it worked and we were able to shoot a lot more.

Also on Sunday, we found we had three men who knew what they were about, the Rains (father and son) and Kendall all shot Rifleman.  Well done!

We closed Sunday by remembering the militiamen who were killed in Lexington.  Iowa-Mark called out the names of the fallen and the shooters fired a volley after each name.  It was really moving; I felt sorrow as well as pride as each name was called out.

That was pretty much it for Iowa, over all I had a great time.

Be safe,
                                                                          Mark

Scout

Hey Mark-We missed you in Texas. Not the same without you on the line here. JB said he ran you into the ground by Sunday night. You need to make sure when you get back, you let the rest of the Texas guys know what it is like to do it out on the road. ;D

We are proud of you Mark! ;) :D ;D ;D ;D
Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

vmt193

Here are a couple pictures from that balmy Saturday afternoon.

vmt193

OK, here's the other one.

Steelheart

Thanks for the pics.  Someone (I think it was Iowa-Mark) took some of JB's group.  Could  someone post those if they're available?

Steelheart

Sheepdog

If someone has the time can you tell me how to add pictures to a post. I have several action shot everone might enjoy.
Mike

Steelheart

Quote from: Mongoose57 on April 25, 2008, 12:53:17 AM
If someone has the time can you tell me how to add pictures to a post. I have several action shot everone might enjoy.
Mike

If you hit Reply (or Preview if you use the Quick Reply window at the bottom) you will get to the page where you have Additional Options.  It will be below and to the left of the window you type in.

Once you click on Additional Options you will see a button labeled Browse.  This will allow you to find the file on your computer (its easier if you already know where it is).  Once you find it, click on it and then hit Open.  The location will then be shown in the window next to the Browse button.  If you want more, click where it says more attachments.  You might also have to hit Insert Attachment, I don't do much picture attaching so I can't say for sure.

I think then all you need to do is hit Post.

Steelheart

Sheepdog

Thanks, I'll try once.

[attachment=1]

IOWA-mark

from Range One,

IOWA-mark

range one

IOWA-mark

range one

IOWA-mark

searsboro

IOWA-mark

range one

Steelheart

Thanks Mark.  I'm trying to get a few more shooters to attend and I think the pics will help.

Steelheart

IOWA-mark

searsboro
The boys on range one were a great group of kids. Two were cousins I think, they would be on relay one with their dads assistance and then dads would fire on relay two. The other two were brothers attending with granddad.  They had new rifles and were having difficulties with mags and a really annoying malfunction causing a jamb.  After a distressed look from one of the boys, we worked through a jamb clearing sequence in a cadence and after a couple of times he was off on his own.  I could see his rifle stop, then he set about putting it right, and back to firing.  Even though it used up most of his rapid fire string he was wearing one of those "powered by accomplishment" smiles.  While rifleman may still be a distance down the road he certainly learned the drill and not to be rattled by stoppages.  Good group of kids.

IOWA-mark

searsboro

IOWA-mark

searsboro---Appleseeders make a impact on the berm, a common sight on the April 19/20 weekend.