News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Turn Out and Muster Up for the August 7th Picnic!

Started by Puma Mami, July 21, 2011, 02:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puma Mami

Project Appleseed in Minnesota is hosting its 2nd Annual Friends and Family Picnic. All Appleseeders welcome! Bring your friends and family!

Sunday, August 7th   
[Rain Date Sunday, August 21st--we don't have a shelter rented]
1pm to 5pm
at Brookview Park in Golden Valley
In a grassy, shaded space near the playground

http://www.goldenvalleymn.gov/parks/brookview/index.php 

Come out and enjoy food, fun and camaraderie with your fellow Appleseeders! Bring your friends, your family and your kids. There is a large playground, a big grassy area with some shade, plus lots of space for camp chairs. We will have fun stuff for kids, hear about Appleseed, upcoming events, and the new AppleCore and LibertySeed programs, sing an Early American song or two, dance a simple Early American dance (or watch), and play some yard games.

We will eat lunch about 1:30pm. If you plan to grill at the park, please bring a grill in case one isn't available, and arrive early. Puma Mami's family will arrive early to get us a good spot.

Please RSVP to Puma Mami at PumaMami@rocketmail.com or directly on the forum here. Let us know what you plan to bring to share : )

Directions:

Brookview Park is at 200 Brookview Parkway N, Golden Valley, MN.
The park is located off Winnetka Avenue, south of Highway 55, between Highway 100 and Highway 169. While heading South on Winnetka, turn right on Brookview Drive. We will be closest to the parking lot near the playground. There is also a map on the attached flier.

Spread the word!

Please be sure to share the attached flier with anyone who might like to join us. You can print it or email it around. We also have a Facebook event page at "Minnesota-Land of 10,000 Appleseeds!" -- https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=222621561112802. You can invite your Facebook friends directly from that page, just click on "Select Guests to Invite."

I've put together a list of numerous things we'll need to make this event a success. Please volunteer to bring what you can. I'll keep it updated as people sign up to bring things.

Needed Items:

Meat to grill (what kind will you bring? how much?)
    - Kosciusko - Winona old-style hot dogs
    - Buzz - barbecued chicken
Buns - hamburger and/or hot dog or brat buns (see what meats are being brought)
    - Kosciusko - a couple of loaves of bread
    - Notaeh - bread
Vegetable tray
    - Notaeh - veggies
Fruit tray
    - Notaeh - fruit assortment
Chips
     - mnsti263 - chips
Hotdish, side dish or salad (potato, macaroni, etc)
     - Puma Mami - quinoa jambalaya
     - Notaeh - can of beans
Desserts
     - mnsti263 - rice krispy treats
     - Kosciusko 's Mom - cookies, brownies
Soft Drinks (cans or 2 liter bottles)
     - Puma Mami - three 2 liters of Sierra Mist Natural
Large water tank with spigot (5-7 gallons)
     - Puma Mami - 7 gallon water tank
Condiments - ketchup, mustard, etc.
     - Kosciusko - ketchup/mustard
     - Notaeh - ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing
Paper plates
     - Cooper
Plastic utensils
     - Cooper
Plastic cups
     - Cooper
Napkins
     - Cooper
Back-up grills in case park grills are in use (2-3)
     - Cooper - 2 burner Coleman campstove and propane
Charcoal or Propane for Grill (see what kind of grills are coming)
    - Cooper - propane
Coolers w/Ice
    - Puma Mami - one large cooler with ice
Extra chairs
     - Puma Mami - a few extra camp chairs and/or folding chairs
Folding table or card table
     - Puma Mami - one card table
Filled water balloons
    - Puma Mami
Water guns
    - Puma Mami (will probably need a bunch more if it's hot)
Tug-of-war rope (can be rented from the park for $10 fee, $10 deposit, 763-512-2345)
Other park-type games, Frisbees, kites, etc.
    - Puma Mami - a few fancy kites
    - Puma Mami - 2 soft-sided frisbees
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Kosciusko

I will bring the famous Winona old-style hot dogs, enough for everbody.   

Will somebody guesstimate the number required ?

Puma Mami

Quote from: Kosciusko on July 22, 2011, 06:28:11 PM

Sounds great!

Aftermath told me he's guessing somewhere around 20 participants. We should get a better idea once more people RSVP.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Dougum

Good idea Minnnesota! O0 I'll try to pull some strings and get something started up here in Ohio.  &)

Doug :---
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off

JustJeff

hmmmm, I'll be in Farmington visiting my middle son and his family from the 6th thru the 13th...... might be able to crash this one (if he doesn't work that day and I can talk him into going).
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Puma Mami

Quote from: JustJeff on July 23, 2011, 10:09:22 AM
hmmmm, I'll be in Farmington visiting my middle son and his family from the 6th thru the 13th...... might be able to crash this one (if he doesn't work that day and I can talk him into going).
All Appleseeders, friends and family are welcome. We hope to see you there!  O0

adamt

Put me down for 2.

Also, please let me know if any logistical issues arrive for any of our would be attendees. I am familiar with the area and plan on attending. Any past shooters or not quite first time shooters are welcome to come also. And people from Wisconsin....

AdamT.
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

AFTERMATH

Quote from: JustJeff on July 23, 2011, 10:09:22 AM

It just so happens, that's why we planned it that weekend!   ^-^  Maybe....

Quote from: adamt on July 24, 2011, 02:11:21 AM
Put me down for 2.

Also, please let me know if any logistical issues arrive for any of our would be attendees. I am familiar with the area and plan on attending. Any past shooters or not quite first time shooters are welcome to come also. And people from Wisconsin....

AdamT.

That's right!  Even people from Wisconsin!  >:D
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AFTERMATH

Hey Jennifer,

Can you forward that flyer to the state e-mail.  Ask Mike if he can forward it to the Newsletter listing?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

mnsti263

Sounds like it will be lots of fun.  The wife and I will come and bring some rice krispy treats and chips to share.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: mnsti263 on July 25, 2011, 10:37:10 PM
Sounds like it will be lots of fun.  The wife and I will come and bring some rice krispy treats and chips to share.

Ooohh....  Rice krispy treats!

See you there Derek!

Puma Mami

Quote from: AFTERMATH on July 25, 2011, 10:34:07 PM
Hey Jennifer,

Can you forward that flyer to the state e-mail.  Ask Mike if he can forward it to the Newsletter listing?
Yes, I'll send it over.  O0

Blue Five

Quote from: AFTERMATH on July 25, 2011, 09:25:15 PM
That's right!  Even people from Wisconsin!  >:D

Didn't you know that Minnesota is really Western Wisconsin Territory? 

How could you have missed that?

We've converted the populace to cheese heads...with reconditioning  &)

Sounds like it will be a great time!  Hope some blood born Wisconsinites will crash it to show Minnesota Western Wisconsin Territory that we can border raid just as good as any Minnesotan Western Wisconsin Territory dweller!

But seriously, everyone, have a good time!  Down a few burgers and sweets for me...

B5
-Compulsive border raider
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Cooper

Rifledog and I plan on being there...

No idea what we'll bring, I'll watch the list and try to fill the gaps.

Janelle
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Cooper

Please reply and let Puma Mami update the needs/bringing list so we can plan on filling the gaps !!!

I will bring:
Paper plates
Plastic utensils
Plastic cups
Napkins
Back-up grills in case park grills are in use (2-3) : 2 burner Coleman campstove and propane

Cooper
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

sparks1

Quote from: Cooper on August 05, 2011, 01:09:43 PM
Please reply and let Puma Mami update the needs/bringing list so we can plan on filling the gaps !!!

I will bring:
Paper plates
Plastic utensils
Plastic cups
Napkins
Back-up grills in case park grills are in use (2-3) : 2 burner Coleman campstove and propane

Cooper

Done at 1640 hrs.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Kosciusko

OK, I got 6 pounds, that's 48-54 dogs

I've bring a couple loaves of bread and some ketchup/mustard

mom  volunteered to make some cookies brownies

Quote from: Puma Mami on July 23, 2011, 09:27:08 AM
Quote from: Kosciusko on July 22, 2011, 06:28:11 PM

Sounds great!

Aftermath told me he's guessing somewhere around 20 participants. We should get a better idea once more people RSVP.

Notaeh

Iron will Kelli and I are planning to make it along with the two seedlings.  Not sure what we will bring yet.

AFTERMATH

Jennifer, give me a call when you can.  I'll see if I can't pick up the loose ends for the list.
If no answer, just leave a message with the needs.

Notaeh

We are bringing fruit assortment and some veggies.  Also some more ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing, and bread.  Got a can of beans too.

Puma Mami

Thanks, everybody, for RSVPing and signing up to bring stuff! Looks like we will have nice weather, too, just a bit of rain in the early morning, then pleasant and not too hot.  O0

We are looking forward to seeing everyone there.  ..:..

Puma Mami

The picnic went well, and the weather cooperated - breezy and mild. We had good food, good company, fun stuff for the kids, and we did the sing-along and learned about some American Revolution songs. Thanks to everyone who came out and made it a success!  ;D ;D ;D

If anyone wants the specific information on the music and songs we listened to, here they are. All are available on Amazon.com, and some from the library through interlibrary loan:

Fiddle Tunes of the Lewis & Clark Era by The New Columbia Fiddlers
http://www.amazon.com/Fiddle-Tunes-Lewis-Clark-Era/dp/B000172L36

Colonial and Revolution Songs with Historical Narration by Keith and Rusty McNeil, 2 CD set. This is the one where they gave a little talk first, then sang the songs.
http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-Revolution-American-History-Folksong/dp/1878360094

Homespun Songs of the Patriots in the American Revolution by Bobby Horton
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C7R1LQ

We had a productive meeting afterward, too, and talked about a lot of good promotion ideas and how to grow the Appleseed program in Minnesota. Thanks to Kosciusko for leading a good discussion!  O0

I'm attaching some photos here.

Puma Mami

More photos...

Puma Mami

More photos...

Taylor

Congratulations for a fine looking AS event. If duty had not called us east of the Cheddar Curtain we'd have been honored to join you.

Taylor and Dicey
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison