News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NY Instructors Annual Meeting

Started by Another D.O.M., July 15, 2011, 04:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another D.O.M.

Josey Wales has suggested that an Annual Meeting of our NY instructors is in order, so that we can discuss our current position, our goals, and our plans for dealing with continued growth.  We have reached a stage in our development where we need to begin treating NY Appleseed as a business.  As is the case with any successful business, we need a plan and we need to communicate.

The initial idea is to hold a weekend meeting somewhere within the state, similar to an IBC.  Call it a MBC (Management Boot Camp).  Maybe I'll hit up National for rockers  ;D

I'd like everyone to provide input on this topic.  We will need to consider the following:
-->  Date(s) and time(s) - slower winter season may be best; this year or next?
-->  A location for the meeting - food, lodging, meeting space, etc.
-->  A COF - what subjects need to be addressed as we move forward?
-->  Nominations/selection of coordinators for several important areas.

Ideally we will continue these meetings at least once per year, possibly more often if there is a need to do so.  The goal is to prepare for our future and growth, so that we can be proactive rather than reactive as the NY program becomes more successful.

Please don't be bashful - let us all know what you're thinking.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

The Mrs.

I think this is a GREAT idea!!  This is the third time I am writing this as the last two the Appleseed site  :bomb: :bomb: on me.

I have some thoughts and would be happy to work with you on this project.  Give me a buzz and we will work out a time to talk.

Sue
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Spartan

Great Idea!!
I know JW and KDAN are busy right now with the subway seed to get into this, this week but here go my thoughts:
Date(s) Fall during a weekend= that way we have planning time for spring/ or all set for spring planting: this year
-->  A location for the meeting Near ALBANY: as that is the Capitol of the state-
-->  A COF - Appleseed Mission
                   Are we accomplishing the mission in NY State?
                   How/where are we succeding?
                   How can we improve:  location, recruiting, numbers of students, advertising, instructor quality, KD, history programs,
                   Resource the requirements to improve
                   Go shoot, eat and be happy:)

"With your shield or on it"

boltgun71

Good idea.

Im thinking it needs to be this year, around the late September to early December timeframe, and somewhere from the Central NY area to Capital district around Albany.

Topics should include assessments of current locations and possible new ones, promotions of shoots, increasing attendance, cross-polination of instructors, and certainly KD since there are still lots of locations not firing KD.  In regard to assessing current locations we need to look at either increasing or decreasing the number of events at current locations and determine next years tentative schedule of events. 

LittleMo

Great idea!   O0

We are getting bigger both in staff and locations. To be more efficient we do need to be more business wise.

Where: As mentioned, possibly in either Central NY or Albany area - someplace that is half way for all to lessen the drive. If all or most NY instructors show, we will need a large conference room for probably Saturday and Sunday, as well as a place for out-of-town instructors can stay. I'm not sure if most ranges we visit could handle that many people, or give up their clubhouse for a weekend. Most business facilities that cater to meetings of this size are located in well populated areas. To make it easier on all and free parking, preferably in a suburban area (i.e. Colonie instead of downtown Albany). And a good place to eat afterwards!  **)

When: I suggest 4th quarter of this year during our slow time. Yet early enough to set plans for next year, and to avoid snowy road conditions.

Topics: Ranges, proper staffing at AS events, carpooling, paid advertising to reach more people (i.e. PennySaver, Clipper Magazine, newspapers) (have we picked most of the "low hanging fruit" and now need to go higher up on the tree to reach more people?), training of IITs and up, blue hats, history reprints to handout, New York specific AS bumper or window stickers, NYSRPA alliance, forming alliance with regional organizations (i.e. various regions of NY sportsman alliances, Friends of History Fulton NY), informational tables at shopping malls, short surveys for attendees to fill out (was mentioned at the AIBC with Fred), email addresses from attendees for follow-up emails and announcements, keeping costs down, coordinators and committees to share duties, and of course the students.

Who: Hopefully all NY instructors and blue hats. Maybe invite Riflemen (those who earned the Rifleman patch but decided not to accept an Orange hat for now) to get feedback from them?

I'm sure there are many other topics. We should have an agenda of the topics to follow to keep the meeting flowing.

If we have this at a business facility, would corporate pick up the cost, or will there be a nominal fee for the instructors that attend?

Gary

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

R1SGx2

Hi Team,

Been talk, maybe time to open the door all the way on Library seeds also.

We got a good thing going...

mark
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

kDan

I'm curious to see what Josey Wales comes up with for this.  I talked a bit with him last two days, but we were kinda busy with the Manhattan crowd.  He set up a Long Island IIT meeting last winter that really helped get the team together for the spring and summer season.   

Nick, why don't you consider some of these ideas and come up with an agenda.   

Burlington Flats is pretty central as well, especially since we need to concentrate on the western half of the state a bit.  There's a clubhouse, a nice range, and they love us.  Plus it's cheap and nobody can sleep past 5 am.

Go up there in the fall and maybe you and Rich can shoot a deer just like last year.  I don't know who's gonna wanna carpool with either one of you though. 

Maybe charliehotel.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

RATTLESNAKE

Even though I have been M.I.A. lately, my heart is with Appleseed and I would love to see an Annual Meeting established......
"It is not yet too late to accommodate the dispute amicably. But I am of opinion, that, if once General Gage should lead his troops into the country, with design to enforce the late Acts of Parliament, Great Britain may take her leave, at least of the New-England colonies, and, if I mistake not, of all America. If there is any wisdom in the nation, God grant it may be speedily called forth!"
- written in a letter from Joseph Warren to Arthur Lee, 20 February 1775

Dakota

B-Flats gets my vote if it's central enough. NYS is pretty friggin big, I don't know how far apart the rest of you guys are.
Let's do it before the winter, I'd like to see that place before it gets it's winter coat.
Maybe we can get a bike ride going O0
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

Spartan

Dakota, Ill bring my Specialized Epic MTB, that's the kind of bikeride you had in mind right:)

Dakota

I guess I can drag out my old Diamond-Back, but that's not what I meant. :cool2:
I was thinking more about Charlie Hotel, kDan and I riding up on bikes we don't have to pedal, as long as I can get someone to cart my rifles up, the M1A sticks out of the saddlebags.
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

Spartan

In the 60's they did studies in europe that showed shortly after cycling most shooters scored higher in their off hand scores,,as a result of the balance exercise.  i guess it would would work for riding a motorcycle too. :)) There, you have more reasons to ride now.

kDan

Quote from: Dakota on July 18, 2011, 04:16:33 PM
I guess I can drag out my old Diamond-Back, but that's not what I meant. :cool2:
I was thinking more about Charlie Hotel, kDan and I riding up on bikes we don't have to pedal, as long as I can get someone to cart my rifles up, the M1A sticks out of the saddlebags.

O, I thought you meant my Trek 8000!  Okay, I'll ride with you guys, but we let Charliehotel lead into the corners just to make sure it's safe.     :sos:

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

I also think this is a great idea.

Time to (once again) put our NY heads together and brain storm.
As Team NY grows so can our plan of action.

Lets do this.

I also would like to see it done before winter sets in. Makes travel alot easier.

September, early October?
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

CharlieHotel

Quote from: kDan on July 18, 2011, 05:13:30 PM
Quote from: Dakota on July 18, 2011, 04:16:33 PM

O, I thought you meant my Trek 8000!  Okay, I'll ride with you guys, but we let Charliehotel lead into the corners just to make sure it's safe.     :sos:

:slap:
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Josey Wales

..I am sorry for my delay but on the homefront I have been busy, busy, busy... I have ideas, I have read your suggestions and will be on it soon.. 
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

B9

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Rattlehead

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on July 15, 2011, 04:38:00 PM
I'd like everyone to provide input on this topic.  We will need to consider the following:
-->  Date(s) and time(s) - slower winter season may be best; this year or next?

Plan it and I'll see what's going on - probably won't know until about 2 weeks out....

-->  A location for the meeting - food, lodging, meeting space, etc.

My vote goes to B-Flats, assuming the club is ok with accommodating.  The location seemed to work well for the AIBC when we had everyone there last Dec.  It's large enough, has good meeting space, and is fairly centrally located in the state.

-->  A COF - what subjects need to be addressed as we move forward?

Just off the top of my head - goals for 2011, generalized AAR (ie, what were the highs/lows overall... recurring patterns, etc.  We don't need to get hung up on "OMG I had a muzzle sweep!" "Me too!"  :wall: :wb: ... but were there any serious improvements from other ranges that should be discussed/shared?  Or anything that we need to be aware of that caused a serious problem.  Since it's a bullseye for long drawn out discussions on nothing and/or dead horses, I would strongly advise that topics for discussion here be submitted prior to kicking off the meeting).   I agree with boltgun's idea of re-assessing each range.

Spartan

Rattlehead those are some great comments!!

lakesideoflife

I heard a bit about Burlington Flats this past weekend from kDan, Josey Wales, Charlie Hotel, Big Matt, SunnyAM and VietVet at the NYC AS. Although I'm unfamiliar with the town name, I did spend quite a few vacations in Oneonta when I was a kid and even remember going to the Otsego County Fair multiple times. Why am I telling you this? LOL, only to say it seems central enough that free2scour and I can certainly make the trip.

As for timing, sooner is better.  Would be great to do it Oct-Nov, before the holidays get in the way. AND before it gets snowbound up there...

Lakeside
Pat aka 'Lakeside'

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffusd and Virtue is preservd." ~Samuel Adams

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism." ~Alexander Hamilton

"The history of a free people is a history of hard choices." ~David Hackett Fischer

sgtrock

B-Flats is more than willing, ( From my stand point) I will give the club a heads up that it MIGHT be decided to be here, please don't assume until we have a set of dates that I can bring up to the club at our meetings, We have our meetings every 3rd (third) Thursday of the month,,, Other than that I am in,,,, Our club schedule is online for who ever wants to look at it, I haven't seen it in a while but it should be pretty much up to date,,,, I just checked, the 2ND of October is our annual Hog Roast, it is not on the events calender so that day is out, other than that, a lot of weekends are open in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec

Here the link; http://www.bffgc.com/

A good list of topics or COF will need to be in place for this work, we don't need a smoke and joke session,,, Stay on mission, Stay on message

sgtrock

sgtrock

The Club has been given a heads up, if and when you guys decide, as to where it will be,,,

Another D.O.M.

Thanks Stoner.  We don't have a date yet - awaiting word on a possible indoor event at Hudson Falls in early Oct.  Nick and I will be talking about this over the weekend.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

The Mrs.

Suggested agenda item to include.  How to use social media to get into contact with people.  Yup, there is Twitter and Facebook, and that all has been done.  But how do we drive traffic to it, get interest going in it.  These are the very people we want to reach...we need to find a way to get their attention on our non-exitant budget!!  Not complaining, just saying we have to be creative rather than spend money.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

George Hacker

Just having accounts and sites on social networks isn't enough.  Each of us must promote those sites in our own postings.  For example when I update my status telling my friends that I am going to an Appleseed, I add a link to Appleseed's facebook page or website to my posting.  This is the electronic equivalent of word of mount.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

CharlieHotel

Who is that man? I like the cut of his Jib...

Quote from: Spartan on July 18, 2011, 04:28:51 PM
In the 60's they did studies in europe that showed shortly after cycling most shooters scored higher in their off hand scores,,as a result of the balance exercise.  i guess it would would work for riding a motorcycle too. :)) There, you have more reasons to ride now.

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.

kDan

Quote from: CharlieHotel on July 27, 2011, 02:57:51 PM

Did the study say anything about whether shooting a 221 at KD after a five hour ride and three sighters might induce an elevated sense of invincibility in a Marine?

like... say... while cornering a motorcycle through cow pies on the way to calzone?

Wait...  the "sense" of invincibility in a Marine is an oxymoron; there's no "sense". 

The reality is invincibility!!! 
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CharlieHotel

Quote from: kDan on July 28, 2011, 05:06:28 PM
Quote from: CharlieHotel on July 27, 2011, 02:57:51 PM

Did the study say anything about whether shooting a 221 at KD after a five hour ride and three sighters might induce an elevated sense of invincibility in a Marine?

like... say... while cornering a motorcycle through cow pies on the way to calzone?

Wait...  the "sense" of invincibility in a Marine is an oxymoron; there's no "sense". 

The reality is invincibility!!!

HA Ha... You're killing me!

Marine: "Machine like humanoid creature know to charge machine gun nests with little more that a bayonet or entrenching tool" Ooh-Rah!

CH

Another D.O.M.

Could we please try to keep this discussion on topic?

CharlieHotel

Will do, Sorry...

CH

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on July 29, 2011, 12:44:38 PM
Could we please try to keep this discussion on topic?