News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NY Instructors Annual Meeting

Started by Another D.O.M., July 15, 2011, 04:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunville

I like the idea of doing it at BFlat's - it's about centrally located as we can get (technically Cortland is the center of the state, but we really don't have a WNY presence.)

I would suggest against taking too long to pick a date and I would suggest making sure it isn't during hunting season.

We should consider how we plan shoots - a problem I see is that we have a couple of shoots on the same weekend fairly close together geographically, and that creates resource (staff) and attendance (splitting crowds between venues.)

-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Rattlehead

Just out of curiosity - have we made any progress on confirming a date for this?  I tap dance around a bunch of different schedules here, but the further out I know a date, the better the odds of me making it....

kDan

Not my dept, but I'm guessing this has been back burnered. JW started a new fourth job; ADOM is recuperating with blessings love and encouragement from all of us.

It's a good idea, and I'm for it, although at this point I probably wouldn't make it before February, and I'm thinking about going to Ramseur RBC then(as should all of you). 

If somebody wants to jump on this, please do, and get what you can together.  For my par, I think maybe we can all communicte here on the forum for the time being, maybe all report on our districts whatnot. Of course anybody waiting for me to go will be waiting until at least after somebody else does.  Otherwise we'll none of us ever see this thread again.

Good lookin out Ryan.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Another D.O.M.

First of all, I apologize for the delay in getting this info out to you all.  I've been a bit busy.

Second, I apologize for the short notice.

Here's the game plan:

Dates - November 5 & 6 2011

Place - Regional Food Bank of NENY  965 Albany Shaker Rd, Latham NY  12110

Attendees - NY RWVA IITs and Instructors of level IIT4 and above; and NY Coordinators

Tentative COF - Proactive planning for the growth and success of Project Appleseed in NY.  We will discuss event promotions, instructor mentoring & development, event staffing, LibertySeeds, development of additional ranges & venues, and other topics.  The intent is for this to me a management meeting.

RFB has several fast food places and a fantastic diner within walking distance.  The meeting room can hold well over 50 bodies and there are snack & drink vending machines.  It is located five minutes from Albany International Airport and ten minutes from I-87 The Adirondack Northway.  Lots of shopping/eating/lodging/entertainment in the immediate area.

There are two items that still need to be hammered out:  the final COF and lodging accommodations.

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcomed and appreciated.  Please let us all know what's on your minds.  Or send a PM.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

kDan

Thanks Mark. 

I should be able to make that.

-d-
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

LittleMo

Thanks Mark.

Huge thank you to Regional Food bank to allow us to meet there!  :bow:

What time to start?

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Spartan

Mark,
How close is this to Forbes in Colonie?
Tanks
JC
"With your shield or on it"

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: LittleMo on October 04, 2011, 06:39:46 PM
Thanks Mark.

Huge thank you to Regional Food bank to allow us to meet there!  :bow:

QuoteWhat time to start?

Gary
That depends a lot on how many folks will be driving in from far off on Saturday morning.  Let's say 9:00 AM tentatively.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Spartan on October 04, 2011, 07:44:01 PMMark,
How close is this to Forbes in Colonie?
Tanks
JC
About 15 minutes by car or Land Rover.

Spartan

Another DOM,
Has there been any traction on Lodging or a place to set up my 4 season tent?
Thanks

R1SGx2

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

kDan

Do we have some kind of roster for this?  No promises, but I should be good for sat... hopefully (busy season), but not on sunday - no way.  Daughter has a college interview in the berkshires, so I won't be far, but I also won't be in Albany.

If i'm not mistaken josey wales and vietvet will be in new jersey all wknd.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

VietVet

Dan is correct.
I'll be doing the Winslow, NJ Shoot.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

boltgun71

I wont be able to make this one.  Uncle Sam has me busy this weekend.

Another D.O.M.

Here's a link to lodging in the area:  http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelList?ienc=UTF-8&optional=false&sid=x1Retg.gZRnOgKSg.21&chain=A&brand_segment=&areaid=&areatype=Address&type=&latitude=42.759876&longitude=-73.780724&state=NY&country=US&dateFormat=mm%2Fdd%2Fyy&js=true&radius=80&map=n&placename=12110%2C+NY&rstart=Starting+Location&rend=Ending+Location&arrivalDate=11%2F04%2F11&departureDate=11%2F06%2F11&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&srp=RACK.  The third one down, Econo Lodge NY257 is about a 15 minute walk to the food bank.  We can put folks up in our partially finished basement (dry, heat, 1/2 bath and hot water - but with many pets); one or two can fit relatively comfortably in the Chinook (and the furnace works); and John if you like you can pitch your tent in our yard, there's plenty of room.

As far as a roster is concerned, There two definite yes responses and myself.  Dan, if you can make it for Saturday that makes four.  I expect Gary and Sue will attend but I haven't heard either way.
MJA

R1SGx2

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

kDan

I just got booked to install some appliances in one of the apartments I manage.  Saturday.  No way out of it.  Trucks and money and keys and tools and holes in walls are all up to me.  The fall season amounts to about 90% of my business activity for the year.  Haven't had a real day off from home and office since August.  Believe me I'd love to go to Albany and see y'all.  I even missed a Calverton friendly shoot last week due to a combination of weather and priorities. 

I'm really sorry I won't make it, but even a small meeting is a good thing.  Whatever you guys come up with will push the conversation forward.  Shuffle some papers, take some notes and let's bring the discussion back here to the forum.  I'm looking forward to some new projects next year, or at least one.  Calverton has slowed down and Manhattan is less than satisfying for various reasons, although it is important.

I hope that some of the folks that aren't speaking up on this thread can make it.  Perhaps there's some way to get the word out to others as well?  Maybe a mass pm?  Works on Long Island. 

Good luck Mark and Mark and everybody who makes it.  Thank you.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

LittleMo

Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

sgtrock

I will be out of state for at least 2 more weeks on a job, see you next time.

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: kDan on November 01, 2011, 03:38:34 PMI just got booked to install some appliances in one of the apartments I manage.  Saturday.  No way out of it.  Trucks and money and keys and tools and holes in walls are all up to me.  The fall season amounts to about 90% of my business activity for the year.  Haven't had a real day off from home and office since August.  Believe me I'd love to go to Albany and see y'all.  I even missed a Calverton friendly shoot last week due to a combination of weather and priorities. 

I'm really sorry I won't make it, but even a small meeting is a good thing.  Whatever you guys come up with will push the conversation forward.  Shuffle some papers, take some notes and let's bring the discussion back here to the forum.  I'm looking forward to some new projects next year, or at least one.  Calverton has slowed down and Manhattan is less than satisfying for various reasons, although it is important.

I hope that some of the folks that aren't speaking up on this thread can make it.  Perhaps there's some way to get the word out to others as well?  Maybe a mass pm?  Works on Long Island. 

Good luck Mark and Mark and everybody who makes it.  Thank you.
Well, I hate to lose you as an on-site resource, but we're talking getting the bills paid here - you do what you have to do.  My intent is to take notes, compile them, and forward them along to all interested parties.

A mass PM isn't a bad idea, although I've lost track somewhat of which level our IITs are at.  Might be a good idea to reorganize our entire instructor list by level achieved.  I'll see what I can get out.

sgtrock - thanks for checking in.  We'll miss you, but glad you've got the gig!

Josey Wales - I know you'll be working (both jobs?).  You planted the idea for this and we're thankful for that.  We'll get you to the next one.  Mean time, keep in touch.

B9 - what's on your mind?  I was hoping you might have something to add.
MJA

kDan

did this happen?  any notes? 

I know it's hard, especially when nobody shows up, but if you guys met, I hope you talked about Appleseed in NYS and somebody said something.

If nothing else how was the food? (as if I don't already know... :-\   :sos:)

Next year, let's do the Waldorf.  Fred, what do you say?  You're invited, Boss!  (just bring the RWVA checkbook and tips for the actors and actresses) 

After all...    NYS - the only place on the Appleseed map without ANY problems!!@!$!#%!!!!!
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Another D.O.M.

Yes it did happen and yes I have some notes to share.  Give me some time to compile and disseminate.

There were six of us, all from the Saratoga/Capital region.  One of the ideas (and a good one) is to have one or two more such instructor meetings in the spring, closer to other population centers (as in, closer to NYC & LI, and closer to CNY).

A lot of good stuff came out of this weekend...
MJA

Spartan

Great Job all you guys that could make it!