News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Happy Independence Day

Started by NorCal22Gal, July 02, 2011, 10:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

From The Letters of John & Abigail Adams

From a letter to Abigail dated July 3 1776, Philadelphia

"......Yesterday, the greatest question was decided which ever was debated in America, and a greater, perhaps, never was nor will be decided among men.  A Resolution was passed without one dissenting Colony "that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States, and as such they have, and of right ought to have, full power to make war, conclude peace, establish commerce, and do all other acts and things which other States may rightfully do."  You will see, in a few days, a Declaration setting forth the causes which have impelled us to this mighty revolution, and the reasons which will justify it in the sight of God and man.  A plan of confederation will be taken up in a few days.

When I look back to the year 1761 and recollect the argument concerning writs of assistance in the superior court, which I have hitherto considered as the commencement of this controversy between Great Britain and America, and run through the whole period from that time to this, and recollect the series of political events, the chain of causes and effects, I am surprised at the suddenness as well as greatness of this revolution.

Britain has been filled with folly, and America with wisdom; at least, this is my judgment.  Time must determine.  It is the will of Heaven that the two countries should be sundered forever.  It may be the will of Heaven that America shall suffer calamities still more wasting, and distresses yet more dreadful.  If this the to be the case, it will have this good effect at least.  It will inspire us with many virtues which we have not, and correct many errors, follies, and vices which threaten to disturb, dishonor, and destroy us.  The furnace of affliction produces refinement in states as well as individuals.  And the new Governments we are assuming in every part will require a purification from our vices, and an augmentation of our virtues, or they will be no blessings.  The people will have unbounded power, and the people are extremely addicted to corruption and venality, as well as the great.  But I must submit all my hopes and fears to an overruling Providence, in which, unfashionable as the faith may be, I firmly believe."

Hope you all have a Happy and Safe 4th.

Laurie
NorCal22Gal

sparks1

Thanks Laurie...great post. I especially like the last line. Kind of says it all.

Happy Independence Day to all. a special thanks to our forefathers AND veterans.

Ron
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

ahhshoot

like.

Happy Independence day.
The past is only the future with the lights on.

Cal 7.62

Thanks for that inspiring tidbit.  O0
I'd post on FB but it's probably too long. :(
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

Evenstar

Very inspiring, thank you.
Happy Independence Day! ^:)^
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Roland

Thank you very much for the inspiring tidbit of history.

I hope all of you have a great Independence Day weekend, and remember what it means.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

NorCal22Gal

Cal, i thought about doing the same thing but didn't for the same reason..... :D

Glad you all are enjoying it.  i sure did when i read it.  Would like to put it in my Appleseeds but haven't figured out just the right spot for it yet.

NorCal22Gal

sparks1

At church this morning a tribute to the founders. Awesome! O0

It helps that our pastor was a fighter pilot during the Vietnam war. He always recognizes the veterans role in America.

Little tidbit I did not know...Isaiah 33:22 was the inspiration for our 3 branches of government.

For the Lord is our Judge (Judiciary)
The Lord is our Lawgiver (Legislative)
The Lord is our King     ( Executive)

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Western Rose

Thank you for posting this. Happy Independence Day!!!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9