News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Florida Appleseed Picnic/BBQ: July 3rd, 2011

Started by ItsanSKS, May 30, 2011, 02:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

HEAR YE, HEAR YE, FLORIDA IS HOSTING ITS FIRST APPLESEED FRIENDS AND FAMILY PICNIC/BBQ ON SUNDAY, JULY 3RD. 

ALL APPLESEEDERS WELCOME!  BRING YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

Where:
Manatee Gun and Archery Club

When:
Starting at 9:00 AM, Sunday, July 3rd, until they kick us out.  Dinner to be served at 5:00 PM.

Who:
Anyone who's ever attended an Appleseed, their friends, and family.
Instructors past and present, plus your families!

Why:
To bring everyone together for good food, and a good time!

Details:

Grills will get started bright and early in the morning.  We'll have ribs, chicken, hot dogs and burgers.  Please bring a dish to pass. 

I'm still working out the details with MGAC, but we can assume that there will be a 'range fee' involved...

Not planning on shooting, but there *is* a 1,000 yard range available...  >:D

There will be door prizes and a swap meet, so if you've got something to donate, or something to sell, bring it with you!

There's a flier attached to this post, please be sure to print it out and give a copy to everyone you know! Help spread the word!

I've put together a list of some of the things we'll need to make this event a complete success, please volunteer to bring what you can.  As you post letting me know if you can make it, please include anything that you can bring from this list.  I'll keep it updated as best as I can.

Grills: At least 2-3 needed. 
ItsanSKS - 1 charcoal grill
DrJohn - small grill

Paper Plates:
ItsanSKS - 1 pack of 200

Coolers w/ Ice:
ItsanSKS: (1) cooler with 15lbs of ice
DrJohn - 5gal water cooler w/ice

Plastic silverware:

Soft Drinks:

Hamburger Buns:

Hot Dog Buns:

Racks of Ribs:
DrJohn - 1-2 racks

Cases of hamburgers:
ItsanSKS - 1 case

Packages of Hotdogs:

Chicken:

Salads (potato/macaroni, etc):

Charcoal:
ItsanSKS - 40lbs

Propane:

Other, MISC. stuff:
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Sly223

Wow! just typed an entire reply,and poof stolen by aliens, in cyberspace :wb:
O.K. here I go Again,
Awesome! Idea, can't wait!
Could we get someone to do an e-vitation like card or something i could print and hand out or E-mail to others if so I will 7th step to the hilt!
This is a great Idea, to spark up participation, for the future events. O0
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

ItsanSKS

As soon as I get the details sorted out, I'll have Western Rose blast an email out through eventbright, to anyone who's ever attended an Appleseed in FL.  Once you get that email, you should be able to forward it to your friends and family.

Lets make this a HUGE SUCCESS!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

DrJohn

Count me in! I'll be looking forward to seeing my Florida Appleseed brothers and sisters, and so will my companion, the world-famous wonder dog Tiva. I shall contribute a small barbecue grill, five-gallon water cooler and ice, and a slab or two of ribs. What a genius idea, to be able to get together as the family that we are, and just to enjoy each others' company for a pleasant afternoon. Great thinking, Eric!

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

ItsanSKS

Just got off the horn with MGAC, and everything's a go.  We'll have full use of the club facilities, including their covered patio/dining area, a few BBQ grills (just add propane) tables and chairs.  Gene's been a standup guy for Appleseed, and we owe it to him to make this a great success.

As it stands, we can use these facilities ABSOLUTELY FREE.  I say again, Gene has offered us the use of these facilities free of charge.   

The total cost for this is going to be $5 per person.  This will cover food, soft drinks and one ticket for door prizes.   Anyone who would like to do some shooting will, of course, have to pay the standard range fee's.

If you've got any questions, or have something to donate for the raffle, please contact via PM, post it here on the forum, or shoot me an email.

Please download a copy of the flier (attached in the original post) and help spread the word!

-ItsanSKS

Sly223

We have a strong seven and counting, I was asked about activities like horseshoes,volleyball etc...I think I have the horseshoes covered.Too much will not be enough.
I am very excited about this shindig!
Everyone should bring cooler ice and drinks,I have two large slabs of ribs.Maybe a pork roast or two( pulled pork).I do have as much pork as needed, Do we have a head count of any sort?
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Heimdhal

Just now seeing this. I'll check the schedual, but I can probably swing bringing the wife, kid and myself ;)

PHenry

I'm in. Have large cooler (120 quart I think). I can bring a 20lb cylinder and some whole chicken cut up. Have some door prizes as well. Might even have some swap meet stuff (take pictures, 'cause PHenry rarely ever lets anything shooting related go).

I will send a copy of the flier out to my entire list! I even talked the elusive Ms. PHenry into coming - in July - outdoors - with no AC! I'll also git her to bring a dish.

See ya'll there!

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

reagansmom215

contrary to, or maybe just in addition to, what sly223 said - we'll bring more than just pork. i make a mean pasta salad, and we can probably rustle up some chips and the like. Reagan is our resident baker, so I can bet she'll contribute sweets of some sort.  i've missed all ya'll, can't wait to see you and introduce "the littles" to everyone  ^:)^
STOP GLOBAL WHINING!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Prov 3:5-6)

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. [...] It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government. " -  Thomas Jefferson, letter to statesman (later president) James Madison (Jan. 30, 1787)

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target.

ItsanSKS

Got exactly a week to go; need to know how many folks to plan for.  If you've not signed up through eventbrite for this event, please do so!

Eventbrite Registration: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1525118671/eorg

PHenry

Debbie and I will be there, so add two to the EB list.

What else do we need Eric? I have a smoker / grill that I can bring easily with charcoal. It will smoke two whole chickens or grill one. I'll bring a 120qt cooler with ice. I can also bring some whole chickens - how many?

My Hunny says she can make some potato salad.

Lemme know what else ASAP.

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Sly223

Folks,
I am absolutely calling out everyone in the state and with the ability to show up to this event ~~:)
If we can't get a decent muster for an absolutely, entertaining one Day Party/BBQ, and all types of food and activities on a wonderful Venue, :( >:( :wall: :wb: :o ??? :-[ :-X :-\ :'( %) #) :sos: &) !@#) $$-0 Thats all the negative Icons so far 6 people have gone through the effort of signing up for this free event,thru evenbrite and I am all 6.If that be the case all my folks are pressuring me to stay home. I guarantee apples to Oranges,That I can come up with more legitimate excuses, than anyone.
So if you are Fl, Cadre (anyone from Rifleman's/MI)sign up or give your excuse. If its personal pm me w/out finite personal details)
Beware, I am well known to give you the brutal honest truth.(example, I have three young ones, have experience 6 deaths in past two weeks,etc..)
All true by the way. However I treat Death as the final phase to physical life on earth, and stress good times spent during it, Not break neck and make impactful,sacrifices to attend the after life service unless you are doing it for the survivors!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

NHale

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

9mm4545

I got 45 lbs of charcoal and a really big can of powdered Gatorade--hey, it's an Florida summer Appleseed tradition. We will also bring a wheat berry salad (it's actually good) and something decadently chocolate. What else is needed?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Heimdhal

I just made home made brats for this event, so we better get some attendence!

ANything else we need brought, let me know and I'll do my best!

Not sure if they pregresitered but K-Os and our friend Tony will be coming as well, so thats two more.

Have we decided whether were shooting or not?  Should I bring some stuff just in case?

ItsanSKS

Heimdhal-

There's a 1,000 yard range, not 100 yards away from where we'll be eating...  Its open to the public, and the public will surely be there, but I'm fairly certain that if you wanted to post a target at say, 500 yards, you'd be more than welcome to...

8)

I don't think we'll have any trouble making those brats disappear!

I hope to be getting the 'pre-regs' for this event today, and that will have a direct bearing on how much/ what supplies will be needed.  Will keep update this thread ASAP.

TomM1Thumb

Hello All!  :)

My Honey and I will be there on Sunday, We will be bringing 200 some odd plates,100 cups, 36 sets of plastic ware, a pan of Grillin beans, a pan of Chili, some Banana Pudding, a package of Napkins, a roll or two of paper towels, a package of Burgers and some burger buns.

Also a very different 30.06 rifle for show and tell :cool2:

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

PHenry

I've decided  to take tomorrow off to prepare for this event. I will be smoking two whole chickens for thems who prefer fowl. I also have a big fan that's great for keeping air moving and bugs at bay.

Will also be doing some special loading for testing. If anyone wants to do some chrono work - it'll be available.

Eric, do u need any additional propane?

I'll check this tomorrow - so if there is anything else - lemme know.

PH

ItsanSKS

We've got 27 people who actually took the time to RSVP for this event.   ^:)^

Based upon phone calls, emails and the S.W.A.G. principal, I'm looking at about 50 Appleseeders, and Lord only knows how many people from the range will stop in to enjoy the fun.

The plan thus far is as follows:
8:00am Sunday- arrive to setup, and get the grills going for food that needs time to cook
9:00am-12:00pm make use of the rifle range, various games
12:30pm: ring the lunch bell
After lunch, do the drawings for door prizes, play some games and/or do some more shootin!

This is going to be a ton of fun, so don't ya'll miss it!

So this is what I'm looking at as far as supplies needed:

100 hotdogs & buns
100 hamburgers & buns
200 paper plates
*tons* of napkins/paper towels
assorted plastic ware
40lbs of propane
40lbs of charcoal
BBQ sauce
100 slices of cheese
3 heads of lettuce
dozen tomatoes
2 lbs of bacon

soft drinks
10 lbs potato salad
Coolers and Ice
Ribs?

This is what people have said they will be able to bring:

ItsanSKS:
(1) charcoal grill
(20lbs) charcoal
(10lbs) propane
(200) paper plates
(1) cooler w/ ice
(2) 5g water kegs with Ice & water
(100) slices of cheese
(3) heads of lettuce
(12) tomatoes
(2) lbs of bacon

9mm4545:
(45lbs) charcoal
(1) powdered Gatorade

PHenry:
(2) whole chickens
(1) large fan

TomM1Thumb:
(200)paper plates
(100) plastic cups
(36) sets of plastic ware
(1) pan of grillin beans
(1) pan of chili!
(2) rolls of paper towels
(1) pack of hamburgers & buns
(1) pack of napkins

Sly223:
(1/2) whole hog
potato/macaroni salads

PHenry

PHenry:
(4) whole chickens - smoked (will require re-heating)
(1) large fan
(1) 120 qt cooler with ice
(1) 5lbs+ "Grandma's" potato salad
(1) Stubbs BBQ sauce
As I am old and slow - I will look to arrive about 9:AM.  :-[

9mm4545

Add to what I'm bringing: a wheat berry salad (as a counterpoise to BBQ. Hey, it's healthy and vegetarian and all--not that there is anything wrong with that--and a big plate of seriously decadent cream cheese brownies, which are not in the least bit healthy. As the drive is just a bit over 4 hours for me, I probably won't be getting there there until around 10.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

PHenry

Decided to up the anti to four whole chickens, soaked in brine, then patted dry and rubbed with spice mix - slow smoked in vertical wet smoker (beer in basin) for many hours at apprx 235 degrees.

Ya see, before I learnt to shoot - I was a cook.  :cool2:

Off to unload / load truck and then on to loading ammo.

See ya'll soon!

ItsanSKS

Folks, if you go home hungry from this event, its because you wanted to. 

My home smells AWESOME right now, with fresh cooked bacon, potato salad, a chicken salad and more being made. 

I have ZERO intention of coming home with food, so ya'll better bring your appetites!

Looking forward to tomorrow with eager anticipation. 

-ItsanSKS

TomM1Thumb

Hello All

On the way home this afternoon, 80 Hot Dogs and Buns followed Me home, Also a picnic pack of Heinz Ketchup, Mustard, and Sweet Relish, appeared as if Magic had occurred. have a 4.5 pound jug of Kraft BBQ Sauce if Needed! A Few Onions will appear in a supporting Role
Question is Do We have enough Grills for all of this?

Tom, Teresa, And Frank are All Bringing a Powerful Hunger
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Sly223

Add two crock pots one with pork butt,the other Vennison, 5 slabs of ribs med.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

NHale

Great to see everyone, THANKS!!!

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

PHenry

Well, it's official! Florida's first ever Appleseeds "Friends and Family BBQ" was a success!

Many thanks to all who attended. I thanked Range Master Gene Pitts for the club's gracious hospitality and he simply responded by thanking me for the food.  O0

I say we do this at least once per year.  ^-^

9mm4545

Well, Janet and I had a great time and doing this again would definitely be in order. Great folks, great venue, and fabulous food!

If anyone found a zip-lock bag containing two gloves (black) on the range where we were gathered, Janet managed to misplace her shooting gloves and despite our diligent searching, they have yet to be discovered.

Heimdhal

A good day all around and will be even better next time!  Everyone seemed to genuinley have a good time both with the food and on the range. 

FINALY got to take some pot shots on that 1,000 yard range too.  Been going to myakka for over a year now and I just NOW got to shoot on those lanes.

It was good to see some old faces and Rick and Michelle's newest little girl was just as bright eyed and happy as could be. 

Couldnt ask for more on the weekend of our Independce! HUZZAH!