News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camp Perry, 2011

Started by West, May 18, 2011, 09:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West

Greetings all!

While here in AFG, I have been able to take part in many things.  Mission readiness and capability is essential to the ongoing Operations, and I have been blessed.

The one thing I have missed, however, is any type of marksmanship activities.  The ranges are not available to AF members outside of security, and dry firing is prohibited (something I found out, unfortunately, and it added a file to my record).

However, when I get home, things come back.  And this year I am going to attend the Camp Perry matches.  I am going to participate in four matches:

The M16 Rifle Match
The John C Garand M1 Rifle Match
The Springfield Rifle M14 Match
and
The M9 Pistol Match

I am looking for someone(s) that would be willing to put me up for a couple of nights while I compete, if you don't mind a border raider from Indiana trespassing on your trails!  (though it wouldn't really be...)

If anyone has an idea, I would greatly appreciate it - I know hotels are going to be very expensive during that time.

Thank you!

West :))

posterboy

West

we/ I need dates....

The black swamp contingent is strong so we should be able to help. There is an Appleseed July 23/24 in Gburg ...1/2 hour away from Perry so you could camp for free if those dates line up.

PB

para45acp

Another option for you would be to "visit" someone at the Sandusky Ohio Veterans Home. Anyone visiting a resident from more than 50 miles away can get a room for $25 the first night, and $20 each successive if I remember correctly. I know someone you could "visit" who would potentially be willing to make the reservation for you if you sent him the $$.

Just an option...and you would be minutes from Camp Perry  ;)
Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10

slim

I gotta warn you, West, when you stay with the black swamp contingent, you may have so much fun you'll skip Camp Perry.

GoldFish

Quote from: slim on May 18, 2011, 12:04:28 PM
I gotta warn you, West, when you stay with the black swamp contingent, you may have so much fun you'll skip Camp Perry.

Amen to that, and I was only there for a Boot Camp! ;D :---
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Spartan

Para45acp,
I was in the army for 20 years, grew up and came from Ohio, I will be at Perry this summer and would enjoy very much actually visiting anyone there in the Sandusky facility and talking to them.  PM inbound.
"With your shield or on it"

Miki

You can tent camp at Camp Perry for $18 per night. Just a thought.

http://www.cplcc.com/rates.html

ilium

When you say M16 match, are talking the Small Arms Firing School or another match?

I live 30 minutes away from Perry and will be on vacation the week of pistol and the CMP games week and I am going to shoot some of those matches plus some others.

I also have a spare bed and hot showers if your interested.

West

I will be there for the SAFS for M9 and M16.

I will get the dates and put them up.  I appreciate any help!

West

Gordon

Hey West! Great to hear you'll be in the area!

I live about 45 min's from Camp Perry and I'll have the house to myself for much of the summer. Even when my wife and step-daughter are in town, there's plenty of space and you can have your own room, as long as need be. Ilium's place is closer to Perry, though, so if you opt to stay with him and Lisa then I totally get it. Just know that you've got the option for staying here, with appropriate privacy, full run of the place, and the warmest of welcomes.

As a matter of fact, if any other brothers or sisters of the Appleseed cadre ever need a "staging area" for Camp Perry or for Gibsonburg,  let me know. My wife and I have a standing open door policy for Appleseed instructors.

-Gordon (formerly Fuzzymath).

PS: Do heed Slim's warning, though, about the distractions you might face if you start hanging around with any of us black-swampers. :)

West

Alright, here are my dates:

M9: Night of 9 to 11 July
Swap Meet (duh!): Night of 26 July
SAFS rifle: Night of 28 to 31 July
M1 / M14: Night of 5 to 7 August

I'll stay wherever there is at least a floor to sleep on.  Would like to be around other competitors during this time, also!

ilium

Swap meet is on 27 Jul 2011, not 26 Jul.

My offer for a place to sleep still stands.

Did you go Distinguished with the M9 or 1911?

Don't forget about Commercial Row.

West

Ilium,

Thanks for the reply.  I know the swap meet is the 27th, but I figure I stay out there the night before, get up and go to the meet, and go home in the evening on the 27th.  That way I'm not driving for six hours super early in the morning.

I will definately need a place to stay, I have to get through my homecoming process and then I will start reaching out again.

I distinguished M9.  The options that were available were limited, based on my income at the time.

Thanks again,

West

abizdafuzz

Hey West,

I'll be at both SAFS's this year as well to learn. I'm not able to help ya out with a place to stay though because I'm coming up with a group of guys and we already filled our sleeping spaces but I'd be glad to meet up and say hi. We got a hotel near Perry for the M9 event.

-Abiz

Birdman

Gordon,
MrHappy and I will be at the Sporter Nationals on Sunday, July 24. I will have a table with Appleseed handouts. I am looking for a banner.  I've got feelers out to meanstreaker and ratchett. Ratchett is sending more trifolds to me.
I know of several Riflemen and Riflewomen that will probably lend a hand also.
Do you know of others attending?
Hope all is well with you.
Birdman

Birdman

Appleseeders took home quite a few medals at the CMP Sporter Nationals.  He is one picture of just a few of us. Mr Happy didn't make the picture but he's got a silver medal around his neck also. It was great to see the other orange hats and Appleseed shirts out and about:

It was HOT, but a lot of fun. Here is the canopy I had set up for Appleseed info (and shade). Mr Happy helped out as did my wife, while each of us were shooting our respective relays:

There were 4 relays this year, each with about 125 each.  Here is a picture from one end of the line to the other. This was the standing stage, which is shot from 25 yds....with NO SLING! I hate that part...

MrHappy

Not sure how I missed the photo op. There's always so many people to talk to.
If we had PhotoShop v25 we could pan way over to where I was standing and drag me into the photo.
Anyway it was a very good day indeed, doing well on my relay and boosting Appleseed to all who would listen.
A big thanks to posterboy for the loan of the banners.
Let's do it again real soon!
Give me Liberty or give me Death
Slaves don't dream of being free. Slaves dream of being Masters ~ August Stetten

Ratchett

Great job on the table guys, very nice indeed!!!

Congratulations to all bringing home the medals O0 O0 Hey that Appleseed stuff works huh?
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

slim

Patent guy

We have at least two coming from back east.
I'm doing 3 CMP matches (Garand, Carbine & `03).
Will there be an appleseed tent/table this year?
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

NEWGUY556

Well Done to all who competed!
RWVA, Rifleman
Dangerous Middle Aged Man
Gun up...Send it....... HIT!

sashok.privetov

I shall see you there as well--Garand match and foreign military rifle match for me.

P.S. Is there something I should know about the place?  I told someone here that I'm going to Camp Perry, and I got a stink eye, a query as to what business a nice Jewish boy might have there, and a refusal to explain the suspicion other than it is a "spooky place".  WTF?
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

OutaAmmo

Will be arriving Friday for the Small Arms Firing School and staying to shoot the Presidents 100 and the National Trophy Individual Rifle Match.  Hoping to learn something new so I can pass it on.

jmdavis

Quote from: sashok.privetov on July 27, 2011, 03:25:21 PM
I shall see you there as well--Garand match and foreign military rifle match for me.

P.S. Is there something I should know about the place?  I told someone here that I'm going to Camp Perry, and I got a stink eye, a query as to what business a nice Jewish boy might have there, and a refusal to explain the suspicion other than it is a "spooky place".  WTF?

Alex,

It's only spooky to people who don't like guns and shooting. Sadly my trip has been cancelled. I will not be there this year.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

sashok.privetov

Quote from: jmdavis on July 27, 2011, 04:59:04 PM
Alex,

It's only spooky to people who don't like guns and shooting. Sadly my trip has been cancelled. I will not be there this year.

Mike
Nah, there's something else.  He's a gun owner himself, and he visibly relaxed after I told him I'm going to a shooting competition.

Sorry to hear you are not going.
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

jmdavis

It's aviation of the Ohio National Guard.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Shooterwolf

Quote from: sashok.privetov on July 27, 2011, 05:31:09 PM
Quote from: jmdavis on July 27, 2011, 04:59:04 PM
Alex,

Mike
Nah, there's something else.  He's a gun owner himself, and he visibly relaxed after I told him I'm going to a shooting competition.

Sorry to hear you are not going.

Camp Perry used to be a POW camp, perhaps some family took lodging there for a while.

Jim.

Patent guy

In the 40s, Camp Perry was a POW camp for Germans and Italians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Perry

If the "stink-eye" came from someone remembering the Nazi atrocities, then that stink remains a part of Camp Perry's history, but has nothing to do with our very American celebration of marksmanship, IMO.

I cannot imagine anyone in the Army being critical of a Soldier going to Camp Perry for the National Matches.

My .02.
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

West

In order to steer this thread back on track...

I attended the SAFS this weekend with Miki and Cadence.  We had a great time.  We stuck together and got on the same firing point.

I did decently, 373 - 6.  Not bad first time out.  Winner was a 394 - 12 I believe.

I will be at the Springfield Rifle Match, the M1 Garand Match, and the NRA M1A Springfield Armory match.  If you guys want to get together, send me a PM or a text 302 743 2770.

I would enjoy hanging out with Appleseeders and having a BBQ sandwich and a lemonade at the end of the day with everyone.