News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Promotions Ideas for Wisconsin-What's YOUR Idea?

Started by Blue Five, May 10, 2011, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: Blue Five on August 07, 2011, 01:07:15 PM
Quote from: CIVLAKFLT on August 07, 2011, 11:36:29 AM
Feel free to download this flyer and e-mail it to friends or post on your social media page to invite people to the upcoming Winona and La Crosse shoots. You also may download the previous image of Browning Man and add your own date and location for any other upcoming shoot in your area.

Wow, Diane, good work!!!!  O0 O0 O0 As Wisconsin's Promotions Coordinator, I like it a lot!!

Blue Five,

You wouldn't necessarily have to mail them. If you printed a bunch of them, you could ask a local business to have a stack on hand for their patrons to take, such as a local sporting goods store that has a bulletin board, a local restaurant with a card area with tourist info. You could e-mail this as a reminder to previous Appleseed attendants if they wanted to attend again. If your local radio or TV station had a community board online or on TV, you could e-mail the card for them to use on the air. I think I will e-mail this card to our cable access channel so they run it on their community board. If someone put in the Lodi dates, they could e-mail the card to Vicki McKenna or any conservative radio person to maybe put on their website, if they do that sort of thing.
Quote from: techres on August 07, 2011, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: CIVLAKFLT on August 07, 2011, 11:36:29 AM
Feel free to download this flyer and e-mail it to friends or post on your social media page to invite people to the upcoming Winona and La Crosse shoots. You also may download the previous image of Browning Man and add your own date and location for any other upcoming shoot in your area.

I wonder if that would make a really good postcard mailer...

That's a great idea!  Something to think about....though who would we mail them to?  People who have already participated in shoots, or just mass mailings to households?

-B5

techres

What application are you generating the work in?
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Blue Five

Quote from: CIVLAKFLT on August 07, 2011, 01:51:56 PM
Blue Five,

You wouldn't necessarily have to mail them. If you printed a bunch of them, you could ask a local business to have a stack on hand for their patrons to take, such as a local sporting goods store that has a bulletin board, a local restaurant with a card area with tourist info. You could e-mail this as a reminder to previous Appleseed attendants if they wanted to attend again. If your local radio or TV station had a community board online or on TV, you could e-mail the card for them to use on the air. I think I will e-mail this card to our cable access channel so they run it on their community board. If someone put in the Lodi dates, they could e-mail the card to Vicki McKenna or any conservative radio person to maybe put on their website, if they do that sort of thing.

Great idea!

And good idea on that blank postcard.   O0
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

hawkhavn

Someone upthread mentioned buying an ad in 'On Wisconsin Outdoors', the more powerful impact would probably come from a story on Appleseed in their pages.

Here is the list of freelancers that cover Wisconsin for the magazine:
http://www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com/about-dick-ellis-experts.php

Might I humbly suggest you contact Natalie Beacom and invite her to your Ladyseed?
natalie@onwisconsinoutdoors.com

Back issues are here if you want to look at the writer's past work:
http://www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com/current-issue.php

Or any of the other authors to another 'seed?

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: techres on August 07, 2011, 02:09:32 PM
What application are you generating the work in?

Photoshop CS4. I'd be happy to send you the source files, if they'd be of use to you.

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: hawkhavn on August 07, 2011, 02:21:41 PM
Someone upthread mentioned buying an ad in 'On Wisconsin Outdoors', the more powerful impact would probably come from a story on Appleseed in their pages.

Here is the list of freelancers that cover Wisconsin for the magazine:
http://www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com/about-dick-ellis-experts.php

Might I humbly suggest you contact Natalie Beacom and invite her to your Ladyseed?
natalie@onwisconsinoutdoors.com

Back issues are here if you want to look at the writer's past work:
http://www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com/current-issue.php

Or any of the other authors to another 'seed?

HH

Excellent idea on inviting outdoors journalists to the 'seeds.

There's another freelance journalist in the area named David L. Brommerich. He lives in Fountain City.
His contact info is Phone: 608-687-9909
E-mail: davidbrommerich@centurytel.net

And may I suggest when you invite the journalists, you include the postcard invite and give them a point-of-contact to speak with so they can gather more preliminary info about the group and why it would be of interest to their readers.

rodgers65

Have you tried offering free shoots to LEO instructors at the tech colleges?  They see and influence a good number of recruits every year.

Maybe not so Wisconsin-based, but I would consider lobbying Nutnfancy from Youtube to attend an event.  He mentions Appleseed in his Marlin 795 review and has tons of viewers.  A positive review from him could do wonders nation-wide.  147,000 subscribers, over 13 million people have watched his videos.

Taylor

There's a promotion opportunity in Shell Lake on Saturday 9/17. The event is advertised as a Tea Party gathering. Unfortunately due to scheduling conflicts none of the NW crew is able to represent Appleseed there. If anyone can spend a few hours, I will get them further details.

Thanks,

Mike
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

ThePalmHQ

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the idea yet, but homeschool groups would be a great place to recruit new Appleseeders.  I can help spread the word in the La Crosse area, anyway.

Also, my son shot at his first Appleseed event at summer camp this past summer.  I don't know who lined that up with the camp organizers, but all of the boys I talked to absolutely loved it.  It sparked an interest in shooting in my own son (he shot Rifleman.....Proud dad   O0 ) which has blossomed into a great father/son hobby for us.  Bottom line is that summer camps would be great places to look for an opportunity to set up a shoot.

Best regards,

David

ThePalmHQ

Also, each county 4-H has shooting events.  If you got in touch with the 4-H shooting instructors, that would be another great source of potential Appleseeders.  I did contact one of the 4-H instructors for Vernon county prior to this past shoot.  I don't think we got any takers, but I'll keep placing it in front of the Vernon county folks and I'll bet we'll eventually net some.  Others may be able to handle other counties.  The county extension office may be able to provide you with the contact information you need.

CIVLAKFLT

David,

I think some of our members have been working on an outreach to homeschoolers and the 4-H. Excellent ideas. Keep them coming!

Quote from: thepalmhq on October 10, 2011, 12:09:35 PM
Also, each county 4-H has shooting events.  If you got in touch with the 4-H shooting instructors, that would be another great source of potential Appleseeders.  I did contact one of the 4-H instructors for Vernon county prior to this past shoot.  I don't think we got any takers, but I'll keep placing it in front of the Vernon county folks and I'll bet we'll eventually net some.  Others may be able to handle other counties.  The county extension office may be able to provide you with the contact information you need.

Blue Five

Great ideas everyone!  Keep 'em coming!  :)  ^:)^  :bow:
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

CIVLAKFLT

I would like to suggest that whenever someone achieves Rifleman status, we get his or her e-mail address so we can e-mail a high-resolution photo of the event to him or her. This new rifleman will then e-mail the photo to their local, community newspaper with an attached caption. Something similar to:

Trevin Thomson, of NAME OF TOWN, earned his Rifleman patch over the weekend at the Appleseed Project marksmanship event at the La Crosse Rifle Club, Stoddard. Trevin shot a score of ______ out of a possible 250. The Appleseed Project is a non-profit organization that teaches American history through marksmanship. Events are held in every state nationwide. More information about the Appleseed Project can be found at www.appleseedinfo.org.

Community papers are always looking for content. If there is an approved point-of-contact that person's name and phone or some other contact info could be added to the caption, if that's appropriate.

I neglected to get Doug's e-mail from last week's La Crosse shoot so if anyone has it, please let me know and I will e-mail him his photo.

Thanks,

diane

Kosciusko

Quote from: thepalmhq on October 10, 2011, 12:09:35 PM

We've held a shoot for the 4-H group in Redwood Falls, MN.   The response was positive.

BuzzG spent the weekend at the MN state 4-H shooting championships held in Fairmont about a month ago.  He handed out many trifiolds and greencoats.  We will be following up the contact info over the winter, trying to set up additional shoots for 2012.

Kosciusko

CIVLAKFLT

Not really a promotion idea but a website with simple animations about various military campaigns.

http://www.revolutionarywaranimated.com/lex

Click on the animation link to see a PPT-type story of the revolution.

BugginOut

The video was great, but at 1:46 to 1:50 the person featured has the confederate flag on her right arm.  Do you want a symbol with that history associated with AS promotional stuff?
Plan A = saving the country.
-Fred

CIVLAKFLT

Welcome to the site and thank you. I enjoyed putting it together.

I'm not sure what you mean by "that" history. It's part of our American history. Some people lived in the South and some people lived in the North. The North was not content to let the southern states live their lives as they saw fit. It was a tragedy, but hopefully, the North learned their lesson about the overreach of federal powers into state matters.

professor gun

Quote from: BugginOut on October 20, 2011, 10:51:16 PM
The video was great, but at 1:46 to 1:50 the person featured has the confederate flag on her right arm.  Do you want a symbol with that history associated with AS promotional stuff?

I have a Confederate Flag patch on the arm of my shooting jacket.  I wear it proudly because it is an important part of American History and the heritage of my family.  What exactly do you mean by "that history"?
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

BugginOut

I am happy that my state violated the Constitution so that the ideals of the Declaration of Independence could be realized.  The Civil War was about the in partthe about the ability of the southern states to return slaves to slave states from non-slave states.   Lets take a look:

Georgia Secession (full text at: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_geosec.asp )
"The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery."

Mississippi ( full text at: http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/learning_history/south_secede/south_secede_mississippi.cfm )

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

South Carolina:

We hold that the mode of its [the United States's] formation subjects it to a...fundamental principle: the law of compact. We maintain that in every compact between two or more parties, the obligation is mutual; that the failure of one of the contracting parties to perform a material part of the agreement, entirely releases the obligation of the other.... We assert, that fourteen of the States have deliberately refused for years past to fulfill their constitutional obligations....

The Constitution of the United States, in its 4th Article, provides as follows:

"No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due.

That is the history to which I refer.
-Fred

colycat

Not sure at all that re living the war of northern aggression is furthering the promo efforts in Wisconsin and Appleseed in general.  And I do find history an interesting topic, but SOM.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

BugginOut

This is my final thought about promotions and the video.  I thought it was great in showing what you can expect. The combo of stills and videos were great.  I was jealous to see all the 30 cals. on the line!  I looked at the video as a marketing tool. A good one at that.  However I did notice a strong bit of symbolism. I must be over thinking it but I would not want it to put off anyone that has strong feelings about the Virginia battle flag.  I did not mean to imply anything about the person in the photo.  I was using an over the top example and got carried away.
-Fred

CIVLAKFLT

BugginOut,

I appreciate your feedback about the video. Mine is not an official promo video within Appleseed but it was my first attempt at describing the program, as a new attendee at a shoot. So, I have received a lot of useful feedback since its first posting.

Please feel free to introduce yourself on the welcome thread http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5381.0 and tell us about your Appleseed experience, how you found us and your thoughts about the program. There are plenty of threads to explore with good info.  We welcome your contributions to the Appleseed Project and to the threads.

Kosciusko

vmt193 and myself have had some success at promoting Appleseed at youth firearms safety classes.   It was easy when we were the instructors.  Otherwise, you need to make arrangements with the  instructor(s) to give a 5-10 minute presentation. 

Has anybody given any thought to having Appleseed instructors seek to become  firearms safety instructors in their home states?

In Minnesota, every youth that wants a firearms safety certificate (necessary to hunt), is required to attend the class.   Can anybody say "captive audience" ?

Plus, the class is on safety, with little time to emphasize marksmanship.   That aspect of Appleseed dovetails nicely. 

From what I can tell, most states use volunteer teachers for their gun safety programs, and most are always short of instructors. 

The downside ?  getting  your initial cert can be a pain.   Then, to teach a class, you've got an additional 10 hours of class time per group, plus a field day.

Upside:  captive audience,  contacts  w/ other local firearms people (prospective shooters all), intros to clubs/ranges, and every youth in the state who wants to hunt  will cross our path.

Kosciusko

dragonfly

Yep, I help instruct Hunters safety in Baraboo, and yes captive audience makes it easy. Iv'e had several students come to Appleseed's  8)
Thanks,
D-fly

Quote from: Kosciusko on October 26, 2011, 10:09:17 PM

vmt193 and myself have had some success at promoting Appleseed at youth firearms safety classes.   It was easy when we were the instructors.  Otherwise, you need to make arrangements with the  instructor(s) to give a 5-10 minute presentation. 

Has anybody given any thought to having Appleseed instructors seek to become  firearms safety instructors in their home states?

In Minnesota, every youth that wants a firearms safety certificate (necessary to hunt), is required to attend the class.   Can anybody say "captive audience" ?

Plus, the class is on safety, with little time to emphasize marksmanship.   That aspect of Appleseed dovetails nicely. 

From what I can tell, most states use volunteer teachers for their gun safety programs, and most are always short of instructors. 

The downside ?  getting  your initial cert can be a pain.   Then, to teach a class, you've got an additional 10 hours of class time per group, plus a field day.

Upside:  captive audience,  contacts  w/ other local firearms people (prospective shooters all), intros to clubs/ranges, and every youth in the state who wants to hunt  will cross our path.

Kosciusko
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.