News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Promotions Ideas for Wisconsin-What's YOUR Idea?

Started by Blue Five, May 10, 2011, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Five

----
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

sparks1

has anyone tried promotions at shooting events at ranges?

Is it possible? I don't know. Viable???
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Blue Five

Quote from: sparks1 on May 10, 2011, 11:57:55 PM
has anyone tried promotions at shooting events at ranges?

Is it possible? I don't know. Viable???

I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a great idea!  I personally am involved in USPSA pistol shoots, 3 gun tactical shoots, and many more other shooting venues.  That would be a great way to 7th step (as long as you don't get thrown out from "stealing" shooters  **) >:D )

Something to think of trying this weekend maybe.
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Puma Mami

Quote from: Blue Five on May 10, 2011, 06:42:23 PM
-Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts: Talk to your local troupe. Many have requirements (unless I am mistaken) for rifle/shooting patches.  This could count as their qualifier.  Talk to the local leader!
My son is in Boy Scouts and I think this would be a great way to get more people involved in Appleseed. Many adults will go with their kids, then pursue Appleseed themselves, too.

I would like to help develop a "knowledge base" of best practices for how to do Boy Scout rifle merit badges via Appleseed, how to make sure their requirements are met, how to involve the parents more, etc.

The biggest obstacles I see:
- The need for a large number of loaner rifles (BSA provides rifles and ammo at their camps)
- The need for someone signed up with BSA to be a merit badge counselor for the rifle merit badge to sign their official merit badge cards (most troops do not have one)

Here are the Boy Scout requirements to earn that badge:
http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/meritbadges/rifleshooting.asp

Girl Scouts don't have a merit badge for rifle shooting:
http://www.boyandgirlscouts.com/program/girl-scouts-shooting-program/

I've attached a PDF of a thread I found in a search about a group in Missouri working with Boy Scouts and how they planned, how it went, etc. Interesting.

In Minnesota we have TenRing.org, which is a group promoting shooting sports to scouts. I would love to see them getting involved with Appleseed, but I don't really feel qualified to approach them about it. http://www.tenring.org/

In Wisconsin if you can find an event like this to go and have a booth at, this will probably help a lot to bring in youth and families: http://www.dakotacountygunclub.org/Family_Fun_Shoot.html  We are going to be at this one on August 27th to promote Appleseed! Thanks to Sparks1 for arranging that!!!  :bow:
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Blue Five

Great idea Puma  O0

Thanks for the information, I know my father has been attempting to get into contact with our local troupe of boy scouts so they can attend an Appleseed.

Blue Five

Come on folks, share your ideas!  There have to be more of you out there, don't be shy!  You don't have to be a Wisconsinite to share! Though, we may indoctrinate you into our ways and make you a resident ...  &)  @)

martin

Something I stumbled into was to take my M1 Garand to the range and practice. It seems to always draw somebody's attention. It always comes around in conversation how to aquire one thru the CMP. Remember to take plenty of brochures with you.
Martin

Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is,there is liberty. 2Corinthians 3:17

Seek the Truth

"We in America do not have a government by the majority-we have a government by the majority who participate....All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson

Puma Mami

Quote from: Blue Five on May 11, 2011, 11:03:46 PM
...I know my father has been attempting to get into contact with our local troupe of boy scouts so they can attend an Appleseed.
Maybe one way to get this going and to help Boy Scout leaders feel more comfortable bringing kids to Appleseed would be to offer a free AS for a leader to try it out. They may be a bit on the fence about AS without trying it, but once they attend a weekend they will see its a very safe, comfortable environment to learn rifle safety and marksmanship, and very much in line with what BSA does.

Another thing I forgot to mention: that one leader who goes and tries AS can probably then get signed up to the official rifle merit badge counselor for their troop, if they aren't already. AS will give them what they need to feel comfortable with that role.
"Saving America...lots of things are easier to accomplish, few are more worthwhile." ~Fred

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."  ~Albert Camus

Blue Five

BTT, I know there's some more ideas out there!

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: Blue Five on July 14, 2011, 08:58:59 PM

Have you all considered putting an ad in the On Wisconsin Outdoors magazine? It's the free mag that's available at sporting goods stores, such as Gander Mt.  Their smallest ad is $250 per placement. You can see their rate card at the link below.

http://www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com/pdf-files/OnWisconsinOutdoorsMediaPlanner_WEB.pdf

http://www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com/advertise.php

Also, there's that hunting supplement put out by the La Crosse Tribune called Scope. I think it comes out once a year in the fall.

Lots of County Fairs coming up. Our local republican party received some brochures from "Blue 5 and Company" to distribute during the Trempealeau County Fair, July 21-24, in Galesville. Getting in touch with your county's republican party would be a great way to get the word out about Appleseed. The fact that Appleseed is focused on American heritage would be a plus in getting the support of your county republicans.

Also, lots of the county republicans have a monthly politics and pints event at local bars. It's a casual event where we get together and drink and talk to the locals and each other about current events. You all would be welcome to show up and give us more info on Appleseed. Check with your county party for their events. TrempGOP will have its next Politics and Pints from 7-11pm, July 23, at the River's Edge Campground in Galesville.

There's also an Open Carry Picnic in Glenwood City, Aug. 21, at the St. Croix Fairgrounds. All you have to do is show up with an unconcealed sidearm strapped to your body. The invite is on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=234863926543383

Trisha

I took a look at eventbrite to see what the students in WI were putting down for the question, "Where did you first hear of Appleseed?" I feel that seeing where they heard about it is important because then we know what has been working, and that we should continue to promote that way. When I looked at the pre-regs I took the information off the person who did the signing up, so for instance if someone sign themselves and another person, I just took it as they either found out about AS together or the one signing them up told the other person about it.

This is what I found for 3 of the shoots:

Dunbar:-one each
Gun Club Newsletter
Friend or Relative
The Survival Podcast

Hubertus:
Friend or Relative-2
Gun Club Newsletter-1
Gun Show/Sporting Goods Store-1
Backwoods Homes-1

Lodi:
Deer & Turkey Expo-2
AS volunteer-2
Gun club Newsletter-1

CIVLAKFLT

Blue Five

Quote from: Trisha on July 17, 2011, 12:32:58 PM
I took a look at eventbrite to see what the students in WI were putting down for the question, "Where did you first hear of Appleseed?" I feel that seeing where they heard about it is important because then we know what has been working, and that we should continue to promote that way. When I looked at the pre-regs I took the information off the person who did the signing up, so for instance if someone sign themselves and another person, I just took it as they either found out about AS together or the one signing them up told the other person about it.

This is what I found for 3 of the shoots:

Dunbar:-one each
Gun Club Newsletter
Friend or Relative
The Survival Podcast

Hubertus:
Friend or Relative-2
Gun Club Newsletter-1
Gun Show/Sporting Goods Store-1
Backwoods Homes-1

Lodi:
Deer & Turkey Expo-2
AS volunteer-2
Gun club Newsletter-1

O0 Thanks for the data, and for "sticky-ing" the thread!

Again, looks like the biggest ones are through word of mouth and promotions in the local area by BOTG.  Got any data on La Crosse?

Quote from: CIVLAKFLT on July 17, 2011, 12:53:32 PM
Quote from: Blue Five on July 14, 2011, 08:58:59 PM

Nice picture!

Trisha

You all must be really talking it up over there because for the last La Crosse AS this is what I got:

Friend or Relative: 8
Appleseed Volunteer: 4
Other-didn't specify: 1

professor gun

Quote from: Trisha on July 17, 2011, 01:44:49 PM
You all must be really talking it up over there because for the last La Crosse AS this is what I got:

Friend or Relative: 8
Appleseed Volunteer: 4
Other-didn't specify: 1

Thanks, Trisha.  We put the word out and it does work.  While we don't get nearly as many as we would like, we have to keep trying. 
My impression is that one major blockade for junior shooters is that most do not have a rifle.  This is where having some Ruger 10/22s or other suitable .22 rifles really comes in handy since purchasing a brick of .22 ammo is a reasonable cost if the kid is able to shoot two days.  I continue to be amazed by the generosity of the instructors I have become acquainted with in Appleseed and their willingness to bring LTRs for loan to shooters; many even bring ammo that they give away.
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

9mm4545

I have had some success talking to some of the area tea parties. Some of the tea party goals may sound familiar: fiscal responsibility, limited government, personal self sufficiency, support for the Second Amendment, and a return to the ideals of the Founders. Many of the groups, at least here in Florida, are always looking for speakers and will welcome a short talk about what we do and why we do it. I have had some people who came to events from my efforts with the tea parties. YMMV.

Another idea is contact with your local radio stations. I have had great success with a station with a sportsman oriented weekend program. In fact, the host of that program is working hard on getting his Rifleman patch and has run ads for upcoming shoots for us without charge. A lot of the local stations which do community news and talk also welcome program content and may have you on for an interview about upcoming events in your area. Never hurts to ask. Having a local media "personality" come to an event (if necessary, as a free attendee) can make a powerful ally for getting the word out. I haven't tried local community TV as there is none where I live but that might be another avenue to try.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

zamboni_driver

I'll donate ten boxes of Federal .22 ammo if anyone is interested. 
I'll be at the Colfax shoot this weekend.

Paul

CIVLAKFLT

I made a little video to try and give newcomers a little taste of an Appleseed weekend. Click on the link to view it. I'd appreciate any comments or criticisms. Thanks.

http://www.dianereid.com/appleseed

Old Glory!

I like it!  The music, the stills mixed with video.  The titles are good.  The website finishes it up. 

Now, how do I share it?  $$-0 :sos:

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Blue Five

Quote from: CIVLAKFLT on July 31, 2011, 05:59:06 PM
I made a little video to try and give newcomers a little taste of an Appleseed weekend. Click on the link to view it. I'd appreciate any comments or criticisms. Thanks.

WOW Diane!!  That is awesome!!  Good work  :)  O0

Now we should see if we can get this up on the Appleseed website :)

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: Blue Five on July 31, 2011, 06:22:04 PM

WOW Diane!!  That is awesome!!  Good work  :)  O0

Now we should see if we can get this up on the Appleseed website :)

Thanks, Blue. I appreciate the feedback.

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: Old Glory! on July 31, 2011, 06:20:36 PM
I like it!  The music, the stills mixed with video.  The titles are good.  The website finishes it up. 

Now, how do I share it?  $$-0 :sos:
Thanks very much for the feedback. Everyone is free to download the video. To do this:

Right-click on the link for the video.
The dropdown box will appear.
Select Save Link As.
Save it to your computer. It is a .wmv file. Then you are free to upload the file anywhere else.

You also may just share the page address.

Vee Kay

Thanks, CIVLAKFLT !  :)
Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: Vee Kay on August 02, 2011, 10:38:13 AM

Thanks, CIVLAKFLT !  :)
You're welcome! It was fun to put together.

Old Glory!

We could use your help in getting that video out around WI.  PM me and Blue Five if you can help.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

CIVLAKFLT

Feel free to download this flyer and e-mail it to friends or post on your social media page to invite people to the upcoming Winona and La Crosse shoots. You also may download the previous image of Browning Man and add your own date and location for any other upcoming shoot in your area.

techres

Quote from: CIVLAKFLT on August 07, 2011, 11:36:29 AM
Feel free to download this flyer and e-mail it to friends or post on your social media page to invite people to the upcoming Winona and La Crosse shoots. You also may download the previous image of Browning Man and add your own date and location for any other upcoming shoot in your area.

HOLY COW!  That is awesome!

I wonder if that would make a really good postcard mailer...

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

CIVLAKFLT

Quote from: techres on August 07, 2011, 11:48:42 AM

HOLY COW!  That is awesome!

Techres

Thanks.  If you can re-size it in the printer dialog box or re-size it in a graphics editing program, you should be able to make a postcard. Otherwise, e-mail me at diane.photog@gmail.com and I will send you a hi-res version of the image.

Blue Five

Wow, Diane, good work!!!!  O0 O0 O0 As Wisconsin's Promotions Coordinator, I like it a lot!!

Quote from: techres on August 07, 2011, 11:48:42 AM

That's a great idea!  Something to think about....though who would we mail them to?  People who have already participated in shoots, or just mass mailings to households?

-B5

CIVLAKFLT

Here is a blank date postcard, 4x6, that anyone can download and modify in Word or some graphics editing software. You can add dates and locations for upcoming events in your area.

Thanks, Blue Five!