News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AIBC: Cloverdale Indiana, June 18-19

Started by yellowhousejake, April 26, 2011, 10:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Come one come all. This is your chance to get to an AIBC close to home, or reasonably close anyway.

Cloverdale Conservation Club and DaveD will be hosting a AIBC. Plenty of camping, hotels close by, campfires, good company, and I would bet if ATM shows up... BACON.

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1584855345

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

I hear tell the Fred guy might know a thing or two, so I just signed up. Don't leave me all alone with him, SPQR warned me.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Quote from: yellowhousejake on April 26, 2011, 11:20:31 PM
I hear tell the Fred guy might know a thing or two, so I just signed up. Don't leave me all alone with him, SPQR warned me.

YHJ

You know, I bet if we leave you and Fred alone all weekend, you can get this nation fixed right up.  I think I'll stay home and watch TV that weekend.   ;)

I'm just kidding.  I signed up already.   I haven't seen Fred in a few months - I bet he misses me.   **)
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

SPQR

Fred is like Yoda...old.

but seriously folks, the way to save this country is get more shooters on the line.  The way to get more shooters on the line is to make shoots more fun for those that attend so they will bring people back.  The way to make it more fun is to make sure they stay safe and learn a lot.  The way to do that is to be better at instructing.  One good way to be better at instructing is to go to an AIBC and argue and eat Oreos with the old Fredster. 

Beyond that, get to know what the people that are organizing this outfit are thinking about and what they care about.  if you don't think they are doing it right, why would you not open up a dialogue.  if you think you are beyond improvement, how did you shoot Rifleman in the first place?
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

ATM

I am in the process of bribing and coercing to get coverage at work.

I like arguing and eating Oreos so I don't want to miss out.  ;)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

yellowhousejake

I like Oreos like ATM likes Bacon. No, we will not be mixing Oreos and Bacon, that would be a sin against nature.

Oreos....   Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

YHJ

YHJ

SPQR

What if we got bacon flavored chocolate and dipped the oreos in that?  Since it is Indiana does that mean that breakfast will feature bacon sandwiches?  I really like bacon sandwiches with a hard egg and slice of cheese maybe peppers and onions too or a dab of horseradish
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

KYWindage

Worthy gift for a Lady Rifleman

NOM NOM NOM!
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."
--Article II of the Code of Conduct

SPQR

GREAT GOOGELY MOOGELY!

IS THAT CHEESE WRAPPED UP IN THAT BACON!

This IS the Land of Milk and Honey!

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

yellowhousejake

Easy partner, it's just cheese.

Everyone remember to bring plenty of writing paper and pens. If you forget I will have plenty, and it won't cost you a penny more than downtown  **)

We need to get a list of who is camping and how we want to handle eats. DaveD needs to know in plenty of time so he can round up firewood and volunteers for chow hall duty.

YHJ

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Ooh, ooh - me, me for the camping.  And I can help plan some of the food.  Do we maybe wanna ask DaveD's daughters if they want first dibs as usual for lunch and maybe do a carry-in for Sat evening and Sun morning?  I'm always happy to pony up the cash for their lunches.   O0  Or do we wanna do something else?

stagehand steve

Quote from: yellowhousejake on April 27, 2011, 09:18:58 AM
I like Oreos like ATM likes Bacon. No, we will not be mixing Oreos and Bacon, that would be a sin against nature.

Oreos....   Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

YHJ

I'm old school.  I don't mix bacon and oreos.  I eat my pound of bacon FIRST, THEN I eat my package of oreos.

-stagehand steve
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

stagehand steve

Quote from: yellowhousejake on April 26, 2011, 10:59:17 PM
Come one come all. This is your chance to get to an AIBC close to home, or reasonably close anyway.

Cloverdale Conservation Club and DaveD will be hosting a AIBC. Plenty of camping, hotels close by, campfires, good company, and I would bet if ATM shows up... BACON.

Is the camping on-site?   If so, who do we notify to let them know we are staying over night?

-ss
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

DaveD

PM me if camping.  Room for 30+ campers!  I will be on site Friday afternoon and setup in camping area.  We will be on the west side of the lake.  Camping is primitive, bring your own water and plenty of bug repellent. Porta-john on site.

YUM....  Oreos around the campfire, right after the bacon O0

Any Friday night campers who like to shoot Trap, the club has a Trap Shoot that evening ($4 a round?).  I do it occasionally to keep myself humble  :-[ (I may hit 2-4 birds out of 25  :'( :'( )

I think my daughters are on for the lunches.  Planning in progress on that.

DD
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

SPQR

Life can be funny sometimes.  My old dad once told me that making friends was a waste of time, "Pick good people and make them family, they're worth more."  With that in mind I have bounced around and cut a pretty good crop of folk out of the herd.  They are good folk, I wouldn't trade them for the world.  I feel the same way about my Appleseed family.  Thing is, though, that there are times, some times, when it is my Appleseed family that disappoints me more and I hate myself for it.

My other family, they like to rib me good naturedly.  They like to joke about Appleseeding and how I encourage them to learn to shoot.  They like to laugh about how I have gone militia or am planning for some Chicken Little Snowpocalypse though I own very few MREs and not many rifles, own very little camo and am a firm believer in the American system of government.  The only thing that disappoints me about those folks is this.  I am the go to guy.  Somebody gets themselves in a bad spot they can't see a way around, they call ol' Huff.  He has the brains, we can trust his judgment.  Somebody busts a pipe in their house, they call ol' Huff.  He has the experience, he can sweat the copper.  Somebody is moving or has to lift something heavy, they call ol' Huff.  He has the back, he can hack it.  Somebody has some heartless, unfaithful creature break their heart, they call  ol' Huff.  He will know what to say, he can drink the beers.

They call ol' Huff for one reason, trust.  They know I will show up and hang tough.  They know I will have their best interest at heart.  They know that it would burn me up to let them down and they know they can count on me because they know they are my family.  What breaks MY heart, though, is that when I ask them to do one thing, go to an Appleseed, they often laugh and brush me off.  The trust me with their best interests, and yet when I ask one little thing of them, OUT OF THEIR BEST INTEREST, I have been so often rebuffed. 

I am sure that if they saw it that way, as I have just described it, many would change their minds.  Of course, if I presented it to them that way, I would be coercing them in to going to a Seed.  I would hate for that to taint their experience.  i would hate it because Appleseed works on folks psychologically.  I changes they way they think and solve problems.  It helps them makes themselves better.  I know this, of course, and that is why I want them to do it.  I can forgive them, though, because they HAVE NOT been to a  Seed.  They don't know how good it can be for them.

For Seeders I have no such pity.  You have been there, seen it work on folk and felt it work on you.  What do I need to convince YOU of?  The thing, and this is the material point, is that when you take a hat with the Appleseed Project your marksmanship is no longer the issue.  You have decided to become a TEACHER and it is the student's marksmanship that counts now.  In this we must all be of one mind, our growth as teachers is in direct relationship with the success of the program.

I realize that we probably have a couple or three instructors in this program that have an inflated sense of their teaching ability.  Some late middle-aged fellow is nearing retirement and he knows everything there is to know about shooting.  He came to a couple Seeds and shot Rifleman and took a hat.  Now he knows everything about teaching marksmanship.  His experience shooting immediately transferred to teaching marksmanship and now he is an expert in his field.  Of course, he is an IIT2, only worked four shoots and never outside his home state or more than two hours away but he is obviously a superior instructor to someone like .5.  Though she has logged countless hours in a variety of locations and conditions instructing students of all different shapes and sizes and observed dozens upon dozens of more experienced instructors interacting with students as well, this guy has nothing to learn from a kid, does he?  Teachable attitude, huh?

The only question now, though, "Is that guy in Indiana?"  Our marksmanship is no longer the issue.  It is now our teaching.  We are, none of us, perfectly evolved teachers.  I have made a study of teachers, and the most fully evolved teacher I have ever encountered was a 60-year old Japanese woman who was no more than four and a half feet tall.  When asked, "Teacher, how does one become a great teacher?"  Her reply was, "Never stop learning."

Surely we should all know this, right?  We are all Riflemen.  We know the necessity of learning in our personal growth.  We understand how the growth of our own skills can be reflected in our ability to engage the experience of others.  So, when someone like Fred, the ol' Mustache himself, who has seen countless lines and thousands of students and countless situations comes to town to share his experience...  When I, ME, the great and prematurely wise SPQR says that this interaction can help you grow as a teacher... 

Are these the men with which I am to save America?

I pity those folks that haven't been to a Seed, but what must I feel for those who have?  For you that have, those who understand the need for constant improvement, constant education, what bears down upon you that you cannot make this brief journey to get to know yourself and your profession better?  Why, when it is I who asks this of you, is SPQR's call gone so poorly attended?

I say to you that I was a better instructor after attending the Miamisburg AIBC and that was despite the Ohio cadre being a bunch of weirdos.  I cannot explain how disappointed I am that, because of my AIBC attendance, I must go to Noblesville to work the Appleseed not because I don't like working shoots but because I know how much I am going to miss that which could have made me better at teaching.

Don't waste this opportunity to improve.  Lets get better together.  Let us send the message that while Indiana's cadre may be small, we take our craft seriously and we want to be better at it.  Sign up for the AIBC.             

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

KYWindage

...what he said. O0
Signed up.
Will be camping both nights. Should arrive Friday at around 6 if possible.
"I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command I will never surrender my men while they still have the means to resist."

Jimbo

I signed up also.  I will be in the process of moving during that week, but I hope to be able to camp Friday night.  If not I'll drive up early Saturday morning.  I'm sure it will be worth the effort!

Jim

DHolder

I think I was the second to sign up, and plan on camping. As suggested, toss out some food ideas, and if we have time, I will bake up a chocolate cake in the Dutch. Put me down for firewood too, I'll have to wait until closer to date to put in for Friday, although trap is tempting.

AuntieBellum

So what time does this trap shoot start? How does one participate in such a thing? My daddy said I can borrow a shotgun. I wonder how it works...all I know is I bought some pretty pink shells just in case I can go. I figure somebody has to come in last, right? At least i'll be stylish whilst missing.

DaveD

Shooters start showing around 6PM, with a start time of 7PM.  So bring eyes, ears, shot gun. vest or large pockets to hold shells , cash, sign in and go for it!  I'm still learning the COF, but it's fun and the oldtimers cut a little slack for us newbies.  One Round is approx 25 shells (1 box)

That's Okay, you'll probably out shoot me  O0     And style is everything .... just ask Huff   >:D
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

ATM

I fully plan to mix Bacon, Oreos and cheese.

Wait... who's bringing the Oreos and cheese?  :cool2:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23106.0

Don't forget to sign up for meal items.  :)
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

techres

Very excited about this!  Gonna be a blast, especially seeing all the Indiana crew in one place ready to talk serious talk and have the time to do it.

Of course that Fred guy's gonna be there too...

I am gonna try to come on Friday night, but not sure exactly when yet.  As for food, anyone sign up for Doritos?  You simply cannot have a serious meeting without them.

KYWindage

I'm interested in meeting Fred and learning more about how to reprocess this knowledge to share with others. I don't know about others, but I would hit a wall(at Atlanta) trying to explain what my brain did naturally.

SPQR

That is an excellent point Windy and you are going to get a lot of that at the AIBC. 

The AIBC will be a lot of information, some of it will be conversation outside where you need it.  A veteran red hat, for instance, may find that Fred's X minutes on SHFs is something they are already up to par on but the his X minutes on IMC or organizational tips are going to be things you need to have your ears on for.  For the budding orange hat the X minutes on organization, IMC, or KD may be above your head but the blurb on SHFs and how to address shooters is exactly what you need.

Everybody should have something to take notes on but don't get so caught up taking notes you can't process the info.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

KYWindage

Quote from: ATM on June 08, 2011, 09:29:14 PM
I fully plan to mix Bacon, Oreos and cheese.

Wait... who's bringing the Oreos and cheese?
Bacon, ammo, coffee, rifle, ammo, bacon..... what else does one require?

GoldFish

YHJ

Folks, you will not want to miss seeing and hearing SPQR and Fred in the same room.  Their discussions are most enlightening, informative, and yes, very entertaining....like, utterly hilarious.

Quote from: SPQR on May 21, 2011, 01:06:28 AM
...  I say to you that I was a better instructor after attending the Miamisburg AIBC and that was despite the Ohio cadre being a bunch of weirdos.  ...

FYI, SPQR, a whole bunch of 'Ohio Weirdos' are going to raiding your state, Nashville, July 9-10. &) >:D

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Ratchett

Quote from: GoldFish on June 09, 2011, 06:05:10 PM

YHJ

Folks, you will not want to miss seeing and hearing SPQR and Fred in the same room.  Their discussions are most enlightening, informative, and yes, very entertaining....like, utterly hilarious.

Quote from: SPQR on May 21, 2011, 01:06:28 AM
...  I say to you that I was a better instructor after attending the Miamisburg AIBC and that was despite the Ohio cadre being a bunch of weirdos.  ...

FYI, SPQR, a whole bunch of 'Ohio Weirdos' are going to raiding your state, Nashville, July 9-10. &) >:D

And to think they neither one have met SHOOTER08!!!
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

techres

Quote from: GoldFish on June 09, 2011, 06:05:10 PM

Oh, really....

Hmmm.....

Western Rose

If I weren't already booked for this weekend, I'd be there in a heartbeat...

Seriously folks, if it is at all possible to go to this (or any) AIBC, be there.

BTW, Tech, some kid from Idaho will be in Nashville too.... >:D
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast