News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Middle Georgia Appleseed

Started by mattd, April 18, 2011, 06:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattd

So I just got back from my first Appleseed (awesome!) and started perusing the forum and found a thread from last year about organizing a middleGA AS. It petered out sometime last spring with some ranges mentioned...

Marion Rd, Fort Valley, Cordele, and Ocmulgee WMA ranges were mentioned. The first two it appears are not possible? Cordele I've never been to.

The Ocmulgee range has had extensive work done to it in the past 6 to 9 months and is full on weekends now. I'll ping the rangers next time I'm out there and get a regional DNR contact if y'all would like. I'm happy to call, just figured RWVA would rather a red hat do the initial contact.

A range not mentioned was the Warner Robins PD Training Center. They open their ranges (25 and 100yd) to the public on the third Saturday of every month.  $5 maintenance fee/shooter. The 25yd is covered and has space for about 20 shooters. WRPD's phone number is in the book and I'm sure I can get the Sgt's name who is always out there on public access Saturday's.

Takers on trying to get a MidGA AS started? Or at least getting some range feedback? I will be attending more Appleseeds in the future regardless, but if it's just down the street....

Son of Isaac

MattD,

This is great info.  If you can make contact with the decision makers in your area, please coordinate a conversation with Friedenmeister to make the fomal pitch.  Friedenmeister is the state coordinator for Georgia. 

You do not need to ask permission to promote Appleseed or approach new ranges.  You only need some motivation and to pull the right people in at the right time.

~TravelPatriot

mattd

I met Friedenmeister this weekend in Augusta. I'll be sure to pass along info to him when I get it.

brianf31

I'm a member at Marion Road GC in Macon. I've mentioned it to one of the officers but didn't get too far. I wrote a contribution to our monthly newsletter, telling my experience with AS and bragging on Dublin, Toccoa and August gun clubs for hosting. Hopefully that will open some minds once it's published.

I believe Sanderman approached Marion Road before but I'm not sure how far he got.

Is Friedenmeister AKA Sean? If so, I met him at the Dublin AS in  February. Get in touch with me and I'll give you some contacts or discuss strategy.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

brianf31

Oh, I also have some contacts at Fort Valley GC as I used to work with a few of those guys. They now have a 350 yard range.

http://www.fortvalleygc.net/Ranges.html
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Appalacious

Here's an update on middle GA. 

Marion Road:  I presented Appleseed to them at one of their meetings at the vfw.  Most were receptive, but a few guys didn't like the idea at all (for reasons I couldn't really tell) so they never pursued it after that.  Logistically, parking would probably be an issue.

Fort Valley: I would like to pursue this range, but I haven't visited since they re-did the pistol section.

WRPD:  That is an interesting idea.  I'll have to look into it.  Matt, if you have any contacts there definitely tell them about us.

Ocmulgee: We actually had an appleseed here last march!!  It went really well, we had full exclusive use of the pistol range for two days and the DNR guys loved us.  Since they've redone the range, it might be harder for them to let us have it.  There were scheduling issues with hunting season and the popularity of it made them hesitant to let us have it.  Probably even worse now, but who knows.  I need to get them back on the phone.

J

Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Appalacious

Condescension is a GOOD thing.