News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Advice on Scope Mounts

Started by AlaSprout, March 17, 2011, 01:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaSprout

A number of you were kind enough to share your experience and insights on rifle scopes a while back in this thread:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=20447.msg160361#msg160361

Would you mind weighing in on the various types of scope mounts?

I shoot a Mini-14 exactly like the one in my avatar.  It came from the factory with an ATI stock that has a long Picatinny rail on top.  The rail is so far away from your eye that I'm not even sure a minimal reflex/holographic sight would be useful there.  Of course, it has standard, adjustable peephole sights, but they are blocked when the rail is in place.  So, I removed the rail to use them at my first Appleseed last year.

The rifle also came with a set of factory scope mount rings made to mount to two points on the receiver just above, and straddling, the bolt.  You could mount a standard scope there but, here again, I think the peephole sights would be completely blocked.  My father purchased the same rifle and mounted a simple Browning scope, which seems to work very well.  I wouldn't mind doing this too, but does that mean I'd be stuck with a configuration that I couldn't easily use up close?  TIA!
Liberty has never come from the government.  Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.  The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
   -Woodrow Wilson, New York Press Club, 9 Sept. 1912

Old Dog

You might look into one of those scout scope mounts (if they'll fit on the rifle with that stock).  The mount up on the barrel and use a long eye relief scope.  Ameaga Ranges makes them.  There are other companies that make similar mounts but I can't remember the names right now.  Use of quick detachable rings allows the removal of the scope (for iron sight use) and with my M1 I can return the scope/rings to the mount (in the same slots) and it returns to zero.

I've seen red dot type sights mounted out there on the scout scope mounts, too.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Brandon1

Well you could use some quick detachable scope rings "Leupold". I have thoes on my M1a.

You could use several scope options. But you will have to have one with long eye releif. A scout type of scope with some Leupold QDR and you will be good. Just a quick flip of 2 levers and you can go from scoped to irons in a few seconds.
Roaming the world on a klr.

Mark Davis

The scope you need is called IER (Intermediate Eye Relief).
Standard rifle scopes have an eye relief of 3-5 inches.
Pistol scopes have an eye relief around 20-24 inches. Extended Eye Relief  (EER)
The scout scope mentioned by Brandon is built for an eye relief of 12-16 inches hence the "intermedite eye relief" model called an "IER" scope by those to lazy to type out what they mean to say.

fepowered

Quote from: AlaSprout on March 17, 2011, 01:04:20 AM
The rifle also came with a set of factory scope mount rings made to mount to two points on the receiver just above, and straddling, the bolt.  You could mount a standard scope there but, here again, I think the peephole sights would be completely blocked.  My father purchased the same rifle and mounted a simple Browning scope, which seems to work very well.  I wouldn't mind doing this too, but does that mean I'd be stuck with a configuration that I couldn't easily use up close?  TIA!
These guys make a rail which you may find helpful...  http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=241
Some dangerous game hunters often use low magnification optics.  If a conventional scope works for them, then I am certain that should you ever need to defend against zombies, etc "up close" you will be just fine... ;)
Regarding your factory rail and a Holosight, it would work out fine as eye relief is not critical.   
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

AlaSprout

Again, thanks to all for your helpful input.  I've about decided on the MatchDot scope because of the adjustable reticle size (down to < 4 MOA), which should allow both close up and Appleseed style shooting.  I've also decided I'd like to mount it using the integral mount points that straddle the bolt, but I'm hoping to find some see-through mounts that would allow me to simultaneously use the iron sights.

If I understand correctly, the integral mount points straddling the receiver are Ruger's own proprietary mount system.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might find a set of scope rings that will do the trick?

Liberty has never come from the government.  Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.  The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
   -Woodrow Wilson, New York Press Club, 9 Sept. 1912