News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A New take on 'The Wedding that Never Happened.'

Started by TrebleShooter, March 15, 2011, 02:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrebleShooter

This is how I have decided to tell this story.  If you don't have enough instructors, you can pull shooters up with you.  The spoken parts of the individuals can be written on notecards, which makes it easier to distribute and bring in help with little planning.  Thank you to all that I borrowed parts from, including nor22calgal and my mom :)

The Wedding that Never Happened...Lydia Mulliken's story

(As told by TrebleShooter)

Set this up by having instructors stand up with you as you introduce them during the story as Samuel Prescott, Able Prescott, Nathaniel Mulliken, and Rev. Emerson.  As you tell of each one going off to the war and dying, they walk away from you and speak their part, (writing them on notecards makes it easy to distribute,) until you are left standing alone.  You really need to feel this one.  It's OK if your voice breaks or tears fall.

"You've probably never heard of me before, but today is my wedding day.  The wedding day, one the happiest days of a women's life.  A day of transition, the day a young girl dreams of all her life and the day when a woman's dreams of a home, children, and growing old with the one you love, starts to come true.  My wedding day. I can imagine it now.  Let me introduce you to who's in it.

My name is Lydia Mulliken.  You may not have heard my name before, but you are familiar with the groom, my fiancĂ©, Dr. Samuel Prescott.  We were planning our wedding and our future tonight, this night of April 18th, 1775.  By the time he left, it was early morning on the 19th. I was so excited after he left, I had so much planning to do!

The best man, my future brother-in-law, Dr. Abel Prescott, was one of the express riders who helped alarm the countryside.

Since my father had passed, my older brother, Nathaniel, is going to walk me down the aisle.

Reverend Emerson, our town's minister, will marry us.

Or at least that's how it's supposed to go, right?

My future husband. Dear Samuel.  My love. We were so excited that night, the night I gladly accepted his proposal.  That was the last I saw him.  If you remember, he was riding with Paul Revere and William Dawes when they were stopped by the British.  Samuel got away and he was able to warn Concord that the Regulars were coming.  I heard he tried to get back to check on me but I haven't seen him since then, the night he asked me to marry him.

~Samuel Prescott, step away~

Samuel: Samuel joined the Continental Army as a medic, fought at Fort Ticonderoga, and then helped to liberate Boston from the British siege. He then volunteered to serve on a privateer ship, which was captured by the British. They then sent him to a prison in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Lydia waited 8 years, until the end of the war, before hearing of his death from his cell mate.  Samuel died in prison of cold and starvation in 1777.

Lydia: And poor Abel. As he returned to Concord, he was shot at the South Bridge.

~Abel Prescott, step away~

Abel: Abel Prescott was forced to hide in Mrs. Heywood's house to escape British capture and being wounded. He died from his wounds, but not until August, after suffering for four long months.  He had just turned 26.

Lydia:  Nathaniel, who had looked after us all after Father died, decided to make his difference looking after liberty.

~Nathaniel Mulliken, step away~

Nathaniel :  Nathaniel Mulliken left that night with the militia call, was part of the skirmish on the Green, survived, and then went on to join the Continental Army. He died in 1777 of camp fever while living with the army in Boston. He was 24.

Lydia: Reverend Emerson also decided he needed to do his part to fight for the cause of our freedom. On the morning of April 19th, he lent courage to men who took up arms, strengthening their resolve by assuring them that their cause was just and God would bless them. He went with the militia to minister to his men.  He too left and joined the army.

~Reverend Emerson, step away~

Reverend Emerson :  Reverend Emerson died of Camp Fever while being a chaplain for the Continental Army in 1777.

Lydia: My family, my mother and my younger brothers and sisters, are living with the neighbors.  You see, my family's house and shop were one of the three that Lord Percy decided to burn to "teach us a lesson!" My father's legacy, our source of income, our family home, gone, all gone.

So I stand here at the church, alone.  No groom, no best man, no reverend, no family by my side.  BUT I STAND HERE FREE!!! The men in my life had two choices; to fight and maybe die for our liberties or to be subjects, slaves to the king.  Did I want them to go? No.  Am I proud of them for the decisions they made? Yes.

They made their decision.  They chose to fight.  What choice would you make?

You may not remember my name or my story, but remember them and the sacrifices and choices they made for you, so you could have a third choice.

Use it and don't forget. To Remember is to Honor. This is my Wedding that Never Happened. "

Xeyed

Very powerful presentation.

:'( :'(

Some moist eyes in the crowd as the magnitude of the sacrifices made on our behalf were internalized and recognized.

It became very real. The message was driven home.

Not the droning type of history lectures that put people to sleep.

But the type of story that lights a fire in peoples souls.

Well done Trebbleshooter, it was a pleasure to be at the inaugural performance.

We will do it again.

Might need to add tissues to the Shoot Boss kit.
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Evenstar

TrebleShooter, I absolutely love your version of this story. I've never tried telling it in 1st person; maybe now I'll have to! Thanks for posting. O0
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Western Rose

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Nickle

Might want to do a little fact checking on Sam Prescott having "fought" at Ft Ticonderoga.

Though there was some action in the Rev War that happened at (and near) Ft Ti, there was no actual "fighting" that happened there.

Before you call me out on this, bear in mind I live really close to the place, and know what transpired there during the Rev War well.

Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys took the fort over from the British Army in May 1775. No shot was fired, though a sentry's musket misfired (wet powder) and Allen smacked him with the flat side of his sword. To my understanding, the only person that were not local that was with the Green Mountain Boys was Benedict Arnold, from Connecticut.

Later (1777), the Redcoats occupied Mt Defiance, and brought cannons up (similar to what transpired at Dorchester Heights). The Continental Army fled the post, over the lake to Mt Independence, through Hubbardton (where the Green Mountain Boys fought a rear guard action). They ended up down by Bennington, and fought another battle there. This was all part of the British campaign that pretty much ended at Saratoga.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

fprintf

Excellent story, makes me wish I wus a gurl so I could tell it myself. Maybe I'll get my wife/daughter involved so they can do it.

Is it really true that Lydia never saw Samuel after he left her home on April 18th?  http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/visitor/bios.html mentions that her house was burned, but everything else I can find on the 'Net doesn't say anything about she seeing Samuel again.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

NorCal22Gal

For anyone who tells this...don't forget to let the emotion out...the emotion of a young lady who lost all but is proud of them.. my voice breaks when i say  BUT I STAND HERE FREE, because of the decisions and sacrafices they made. make sure you make eye contact with your audience..it's very important.  Also look at each man as you talk about them before you "kill" them off...brings an emotional connection.  It is very effective if each person leaves a different direction.

I put lots of dust in the eyes of shooters and instructors with this story.  Oh...I get tears too..... :'(

good luck

NorCal22Gal

Marpat Pippi

I can't wait to try this at my next Appleseed...Its a one-dayer...but I think I can find a place to squeeze it in....maybe in an afternoon break!

Nickle

Afternoon breaks are excellent places to cover some of the history, and those additional things that are nice, but not required.

I usually tell the story of how my fellow Green Mountain Boys took Ft Ticonderoga (how many shots does it take to win a battle - none). I also tell of Timothy Murphy taking out Gen Simon Fraser at Saratoga (see the difference one man can make) and the trickle down from the Battle of Saratoga.

These are important lessons, if framed as noted. Without the framing (answering the questions), the stories are just that - stories.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Sly223

Love, your presentation,first person genius,twist ;)
The Timothy Murphy, story is a great way to drive home the importance Marksmanship's role Had!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Fred

TS, this is an excellent adaptation of "The Wedding Portrait Which Never Was".

I agree with "this is the way history should be told - and taught".

I agree with Nickle that getting it factually right is important.

Hence, for all its emotional dramatic quality, which I certainly approve, I question your statement

Quote from: TrebleShooter on March 15, 2011, 02:18:46 AMThat was the last I saw him. 

Since he came home from the militia, then went to Boston to sign on that #@%^* privateer, it's almost impossible that, passing thru Lexington to Boston, he missed out on a long overdue chance to visit Lydia.

When there are gaps in the historical narrative, like the omission in his historical thread relating to any later visits to Lydia, commonsense allows you to fill in those gaps - after all, they were all humans back then. No way he didn't go see her - prob many times - during the hiatus between militia and privateer service.

When we go to lengths to "stick to the facts", we are showing our respect for a heritage which is unique on this planet.

Good job of reframing this story to have great impact on listeners!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...