News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

GREEN BAY PACKERS VS CHICAGO BEARS

Started by Pappy, January 22, 2011, 07:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who are you Rooting for? Or When will we get this kind of crowd at Appleseed

I only watch for the half time show
1 (2.3%)
I enjoy the Cheer leaders
0 (0%)
The Bears are going to SMOKE Green Bay
3 (6.8%)
Green Bay will SMOKE the Bears
3 (6.8%)
Whats Foot Ball?
5 (11.4%)
Where`s Green Bay?
1 (2.3%)
Where is Chicago?
1 (2.3%)
I would rather be at a APPLESEED ANY WHERE!!!!!!!
30 (68.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: March 05, 2011, 07:30:56 PM

Pappy

Hello Group; This is not on topic or on mesage. This has a whole lot to do with DISTRACTIONS, Some we like some we do not..... Have you ever talked to a person who has a one track mind?? We all have... Enjoy the program and make the most of what you have to work with. There are many folks who need Appleseed, and Appleseed needs more Shooters and Staff no matter if they are Green Bay Fans or Chicago Bear Fans... It takes all kinds to make this SHTUFF work well...

Just A Thought Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Cooper

Pappy,

You missed one response option:

"Sorry, I don't follow hockey.  I'll be seventh stepping in another state for the success of Appleseed."

Just bailing in imaginative ways.

Cooper

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

JustJeff

Quote from: Cooper on January 22, 2011, 08:51:38 PM
Pappy,

You missed one response option:

"Sorry, I don't follow hockey.  I'll be seventh stepping in another state for the success of Appleseed."

Just bailing in imaginative ways.

Cooper

O0
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Pappy

We - Team Illinois, Are happy to have You and the living legend Rifle Dog a Direct decendant of the Original Slefoot down here for a visit to lend a helping hand 7th steppin.. P
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Old Glory!

I confess, I'd rather be at an Appleseed in Buckeye, AZ.   :cool2:

Da Bears will SMOKE da Packers, Go Blackhawks!! and we'll be smokin brats on da patio.   ..:..  @)

Ya! Hey!  
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Castle Mountain

Da Bears!  ::)

Quote from: Old Glory! on January 23, 2011, 01:58:40 AM
I confess, I'd rather be at an Appleseed in Buckeye, AZ.   :cool2:

Da Bears will SMOKE da Packers!, Go Blackhawks!!! and we'll be smokin brats on da patio.   ..:..

Ya! Hey!  

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Old Glory!

Sheesh GARAND!!!  First you spoil Colycat with your fancy IBC digs and your culinary team of experts; now he thinks I'm rootin for DA BEARS! !@#)  Why.....the inhumanity of it all.  :'(

Supermoderator; WHERE ARE YOU?   >:D

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Xeyed

Seeking to balance the discussion.

I found a unique solution to the conundrum of today. How to balance Appleseed with the Packer-Bears game.

My solution, I'm seven stepping at the Las Vegas  gun show this morning.

Taking an extended "lunch break"  to watch the game.

And returning after the game to close out the show and break down the booth.

Go Pack GO!

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

sparks1

Old Glory...How does one smoke a brat?  #) I've heard of weird Wisconsin rituals to garner favor for their favorite team, but smoking a brat????

And what kind of torch does it take to light one up?  **)
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Old Glory!

Quote from: Xeyed on January 23, 2011, 12:24:50 PM
I'm seven stepping at the Las Vegas  gun show this morning.

Taking an extended "lunch break"  to watch the game.

And returning after the game to close out the show and break down the booth.

Go Pack GO!

Go Xeyed! 

Quote from: sparks1 on January 23, 2011, 01:44:11 PM
How does one smoke a brat?  #)

And what kind of torch does it take to light one up?  **)

Guess this is a Wisconsin thing; maybe specifically a Sheboygan thing.  :D  There are brat frys at the local tavern on every neighborhood corner on any given Sunday.  Outdoor charcoal fire, brats sizzling, spewing pork juices onto the fire, causing flames, those manning the fryers (yes they are fryers, not grills ::)) sprinkles water over the brats, and voila! SMOKE!  Smoked brats!  Oh, and use a blow torch to light the charcoal.    **) :--- :--- :---

Having taken The Guy seriously and given up TV, we are going to have to tap into some foreign country's feed to watch some fuzzy version of the broadcast.   Today more than ever, I am reflecting on the TV set on the Couch target that we try to do at every WI Appleseed.    Here are those eloquent words that frame the target.......

"As to the apathy of the American Doofus, the wealth of our generation makes action expensive.   Think of what we stand to lose.  A 2500 square foot house.  Central heat.  Central air.  Two brand new SUV's.  Two bathrooms, both of them inside the house.  TV.  Xbx. Just pay some tax money and elect an official who will hire a gunman to protect you.  And die a long slow death in front of the TV while watching "reality". 

I always thought the first target we shoot at an Appleseed Shoot should be a television.  That is a much more dangerous enemy than the Redcoats ever were".   The Guy

Wade

I have no Idea what kind of team shooting them bears and the packers  are doing But watching it would most likly be like watching paint dry I would much rather be Appleseeding anywhere (what kind of names are those for shooting teams anyways?)

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Johnnyappleseed

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll have a double brat, Thanx OG  ;D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Garand69

Quote from: Old Glory! on January 23, 2011, 11:38:24 AM
Sheesh GARAND!!!  First you spoil Colycat with your fancy IBC digs and your culinary team of experts; now he thinks I'm rootin for DA BEARS! !@#)  Why.....the inhumanity of it all.  :'(

Supermoderator; WHERE ARE YOU?   >:D

..:.. ..:.. ^:)^ ^:)^ **) **) ..:.. ..:..

GO STEELERS!!!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Blue Five

Well, I'm a Packers fan...

But I'd rather be Appleseeding.  Period.
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Old Glory!

dragonfly

GO STEELERS!!!
[/quote]

Ouch! That really hurts  :o

Go NFC!
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Castle Mountain

Humbug go steelers. Humbug I say.. &) :)

GO GREEN BAY GO! ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ~~:)  Mush you huskies, mush!!  ~~:)

Quote from: dragonfly on January 24, 2011, 02:38:13 PM

GO STEELERS!!!

Go NFC!
[/quote]
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

scuzzy

Quote from: Old Glory! on January 23, 2011, 03:26:57 PM

I always thought the first target we shoot at an Appleseed Shoot should be a television.  That is a much more dangerous enemy than the Redcoats ever were".   The Guy

Amen to that. I went cold turkey with the TV back in 2003. I remember most of my friends saying "How can you live like that?"

TV? The heck with that.

Yeah, most people thought I was unusual, and I am.

Then I met up with the Appleseed crew. Seems like 95% of them could care less about who is in the superbowl or what the latest reality show is. I knew I had stumbled upon a unique group of people.

Y'all are a unique crew.

Thank God that people like you still exist in this crazy world.

People that would rather get out on a weekend and teach others history and marksmanship. That rocks. So I'll be out at a shoot next weekend. Just as it should be.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

dragonfly

Quote from: Castle Mountain on January 24, 2011, 03:17:45 PM

Humbug go steelers. Humbug I say.. &) :)

GO GREEN BAY GO! ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ~~:)  Mush you huskies, mush!!  ~~:)

Quote from: dragonfly on January 24, 2011, 02:38:13 PM

GO STEELERS!!!

Go NFC!
[/quote]

Now if that isn't being taken out of context, I don't know what is.  :D
Go PACK
D-fly  @)
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Taylor

In the grand scheme of things, one, five, ten, twenty years from now...what does it matter who plays in much less who wins 2011's Superbowl???

We have a Nation that's lost it's spirit of patriotism and that sorely needs to refocous on it's roots, let's get behind the team of Destiny...........

GO APPLESEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Respectfully,

Taylor
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

Garand69

Did anyone actually read Pappy's opening post????

Or does everyone think IL and WI simply hang out here to talk football?? It's ok, Illinois loves to distract it's fellow States as they fly past them in the Wonderful World of Appleseed  ^:)^ ^:)^ ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. :cool2:

besides.... the Blackhawks will be kickin' Minnesota's butt tonight! Wild? The only thing wild to ever come out of MN is Cooper! :cool2: They should have named them the Minnesota Mellows **)
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Pappy

SSSHHH G You may cause them to see what they are missing....
Reading the first post, who would ever think of that  #) O0 ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ 8) :cool2:

From what I have been told, At least the Packers showed up to winning mind set---- A lot like the fellows in 1775... Thats realy all it takes to make the team effort work..
For the Bears, the Cubs, & Chicago there is always next season..
 The Bears need to come to a Appleseed.  
Pappy

Gravy

A little late to the thread, but had to chime in. 
The TV sucks.(period!)  It's the most nauseating and insulting waste of time I can imagine. ++)
That said, live football is the only entertainment worth watching (IMO).  These are the gladiators of our day.  I'd bet anyone else who has played the game can empathize with this.
There is nothing better than getting out of the house and heading down to Soldier Field, whipping out the grill at 0700, smoking ribs on a weber for 6 hrs, and heading in to watch an historic rivalry enter a new chapter.  If you haven't been there, let me tell you how choked-up I get when I see (feel) tens of thousands of people on their feet, listening to an inspirational singing of the National Anthem, as 4-5 jet fighters buzz the stadium, and the crowd goes nuts as the whole scene reaches a crescendo and patriotism is oozing from your pores.  It's almost as touching as listening to a Gopherboy strike.  Let the competition begin! ^:)^
That's a vacation in my world, and I highly recommend it if you get the chance. O0
Congrats to da cheezeheads.  The injury mojo went against us. 
But there will be another day.
And I guarantee you, I'll be there. 8)
As for the Superbowl, well, I've never been to one, but had tickets if da Bears had won.  Damn!  So close!  I guess I'd rather go to an Appleseed if we're not in the big game.  I'll see you all at Waterman this weekend.  (how's that for priorities?) 
You know what is cool about going to an Appleseed this Superbowl Sunday?  You just know everyone that comes out to shoot really cares.

Garand69

Ahhh Gravy, a man after my own heart  ;)

While this thread should have been dead awhile ago... I'm going to throw in my .02 on the only sport that involves a ball that is worthy of our Nation... FOOTBALL!!

This may sound a bit controversial  >:D but it is merely my .02 so don't get tooooo worked up about it  ..:..

Those who seek to destroy this great Nation have been targeting Football for decades... In park districts all over this country they have tried to push soccer (at first they at least kept points, now having winners means you have to have losers, so score keeping is highly discouraged  ::) ) as a replacement for Football. They say it is because Football is too Dangerous... Well it can be, I've had several knee surgeries due to my action in Jr High and High school. BUT the most dangerous "Sport" in High School is not Football, it's Cheerleading.... imagine that.

As we Appleseeders all know, American Heritage is what our Nation's enemies seek to bury with the hopes that when the time is right, editing or even eliminating the Bill of Rights and the Constitution will be easy, because no one will care about something written 200 plus years ago...

Where does football fall in?

It is a part of American Heritage despised by those who want America to fail. It teaches things that are scary to them, and they fear it to be used as a tool to stop them.

What does Football Teach?

#1, Objectives-Strategy-Tactics
#2, Working as a Team to achieve the Objective
#3, How to Follow
#4, How to Lead
#5, The knowledge that if you hit your opponent, harder than he hits you... you'll hardly feel a thing

The only other place you can find these things is in the Military, and as History has shown ex-Football players in battle have on many occasions won the day.

Now some of you "other ball players" may whine that your sport does most of that... at least 1-4, and we learn leadership as well....

There is a difference in the quality of leadership. With Football both Offense and Defense have Team Leaders, just like your sport... But with Football, as a leader of Offense, you have to convince the Offensive line to hurl their bodies into their opponents with skill and precision without fear or hesitation. You have to convince a small lil feller (compared to what is going to tackle him), to either take the ball or catch the ball and run into the gauntlet with the hopes of scoring. And you have to convince these players down after down, inch by inch.

On Defense, the Team Leader must convince the Team that down after down, inch by inch, the opposition must be stopped and can be stopped, and that running back that is running full speed at you can be tackled, without fear or hesitation.

While this isn't Storming a Beach a D-Day material, it does teach you to trust the Leadership, the Tactics, and the Equiptment, and what to do if the Team Leader is taken out of the Game.

So where the heck am I going with this? Simple... ish, This is just one more piece of our Heritage that they are after, so fight to preserve it locally. If you have Yoots, encourage them to play if they have interest. Of course that goes with all sports, but those boys should try Football at least once to see if they like it.

As Gravy said, it truly is the last of the gladiator sports  O0

Now, let's get back to the normally scheduled broadcast... ARE YOU SIGNED UP FOR THE HBC YET????? ^:)^

Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

SamD

Quotethe only sport that involves a ball that is worthy of our Nation... FOOTBALL!!

There is NO SUCH THING.

Cooper

Quote from: SamD on February 01, 2011, 06:07:25 PM
Quotethe only sport that involves a ball that is worthy of our Nation... FOOTBALL!!

There is NO SUCH THING.

It seems to me that the only sport that involves a ball that is worthy of our Nation utilizes powder and ball.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

SamD

Quoteworthy of our Nation utilizes powder and ball.
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

JustJeff

Quote from: Cooper on February 01, 2011, 06:12:23 PM
Quote from: SamD on February 01, 2011, 06:07:25 PM

There is NO SUCH THING.

It seems to me that the only sport that involves a ball that is worthy of our Nation utilizes powder and ball.
with the ball usually measuring .223-.30", but sometimes a little larger.....  ;)
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Garand69

Boy oh boy Gravy, that was like fishin' with dynamite  **) **) **) ^:)^ ^:)^ **) **) **)

Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Gravy

Quote from: Garand69 on February 01, 2011, 12:13:40 PM
Ahhh Gravy, a man after my own heart  ;)

While this thread should have been dead awhile ago... I'm going to throw in my .02 on the only sport that involves a ball that is worthy of our Nation... FOOTBALL!!

This may sound a bit controversial  >:D but it is merely my .02 so don't get tooooo worked up about it  ..:..

Those who seek to destroy this great Nation have been targeting Football for decades... In park districts all over this country they have tried to push soccer (at first they at least kept points, now having winners means you have to have losers, so score keeping is highly discouraged  ::) ) as a replacement for Football. They say it is because Football is too Dangerous... Well it can be, I've had several knee surgeries due to my action in Jr High and High school. BUT the most dangerous "Sport" in High School is not Football, it's Cheerleading.... imagine that.

As we Appleseeders all know, American Heritage is what our Nation's enemies seek to bury with the hopes that when the time is right, editing or even eliminating the Bill of Rights and the Constitution will be easy, because no one will care about something written 200 plus years ago...

Where does football fall in?

It is a part of American Heritage despised by those who want America to fail. It teaches things that are scary to them, and they fear it to be used as a tool to stop them.

What does Football Teach?

#1, Objectives-Strategy-Tactics
#2, Working as a Team to achieve the Objective
#3, How to Follow
#4, How to Lead
#5, The knowledge that if you hit your opponent, harder than he hits you... you'll hardly feel a thing

The only other place you can find these things is in the Military, and as History has shown ex-Football players in battle have on many occasions won the day.

Now some of you "other ball players" may whine that your sport does most of that... at least 1-4, and we learn leadership as well....

There is a difference in the quality of leadership. With Football both Offense and Defense have Team Leaders, just like your sport... But with Football, as a leader of Offense, you have to convince the Offensive line to hurl their bodies into their opponents with skill and precision without fear or hesitation. You have to convince a small lil feller (compared to what is going to tackle him), to either take the ball or catch the ball and run into the gauntlet with the hopes of scoring. And you have to convince these players down after down, inch by inch.

On Defense, the Team Leader must convince the Team that down after down, inch by inch, the opposition must be stopped and can be stopped, and that running back that is running full speed at you can be tackled, without fear or hesitation.

While this isn't Storming a Beach a D-Day material, it does teach you to trust the Leadership, the Tactics, and the Equiptment, and what to do if the Team Leader is taken out of the Game.

So where the heck am I going with this? Simple... ish, This is just one more piece of our Heritage that they are after, so fight to preserve it locally. If you have Yoots, encourage them to play if they have interest. Of course that goes with all sports, but those boys should try Football at least once to see if they like it.

As Gravy said, it truly is the last of the gladiator sports  O0

Now, let's get back to the normally scheduled broadcast... ARE YOU SIGNED UP FOR THE HBC YET????? ^:)^

Yeah Garand, the thread should be dead.  Except, there are patriots like you who understand the virtues of football.  I wasn't fishing with TNT, but I knew there had to be a few ex-players out there who appreciate it.  Really, all I wanted to say was congrats to our Wisconsin compadres - the best rivalry in the best sport deserves the recognition.  And knowing how anti-TV everyone is, make a case for watching something as historical as that.  Most TV sucks.  But a Bears/Packers game (especially for the division title) is something to be cherished.  I wish Da Pack good luck this Sunday.  Go kick some Steeler a$$!

Hopefully without belaboring the point, I applaud your feelings towards the sport.  It is American.  It is about discipline.  It is about strategy.  You MUST focus on your strengths and plan around your weaknesses.  There is nothing that comes closer to battle than strapping on the pads and going head-to-head against a worthy opponent. 

I fully support the ideal of letting your kids play all sports and letting THEM pick what they like - just so long as they play sports.  Whether it is a team or individual sport, learning about the spirit of competition and developing the motivation to succeed is what matters.  And I fully support the idea of exposing kids to football.  I wish and hope that my 2 boys will like the game and play; but it will be their choice (after I make them play a season).  Get them in the game to at least try it!  If nothing else, they will learn what it means to control their bodies, throw their weight around, and coordinate with others.  To this day, I am unlikely to back down from most men in any physical confrontation, regardless of size, because I learned from football how to use my body.  This is a lesson from football life, and I don't know of any sport that teaches/coaches it better.  In addition to that, you learn life-long exercise habits and a respect for authority. 

I could delve in to parallels with Appleseed, but I think we can all see the overlap. 

Long live the sport of Football!  Long live marksmanship!  Long live our heritage!
Good luck Packers!  O0

Nice post Garand!  I think you have a few doughnuts to contend with. ;D    I'll see you on the battlefield.