News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Deployment, Training, and the Rifleman Lifestyle

Started by West, January 07, 2011, 03:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West

I just wanted to update everyone and let them know that I am going to be deploying to Afghanistan in mid March.  I will be gone until early June.

I know I have been (sort of) absent - I've been putting off shoot bossing because I knew this was coming about a month ago.  I have also been having some family issues that have kept me down, and my finances have not been great.

But things are getting much better.  This deployment is going to help in a great many ways - I am going to get some very good skill training, and be able to right a capsized financial sail boat.  I am a little bummed that I am going to miss April 19th, a couple of RBCs, and tryouts for All Guard as well as an inter-service match and All States and All Army - but there is always next year!

I am also proud to tell you all that I received my Distinguished Pistol Shot Gold Badge from the USAF #392.  I received my Silver Rifle, and I am hoping that after the last match I participated I will receive my Gold Rifleman Badge.  I also had to qualify on the M16/M9 on Wednesday, and that was an experience that I wanted to tell you all about.

At about 730 am I was notified that I had to go to refresher training for the M16 Rifle and M9 pistol.  I am lucky enough to have Marksmanship weapons assigned to me and I grabbed those and headed to class.  Having participated in the Marksmanship Program and Appleseed for (4 and 1 years) a while now, I have quite a great deal of hands on time shooting at 25m and Known Distance. 

I was appalled by the level of skill that the guys I was in the class with had.  They were combat arms and military police, and some of them did not know how to break down or function their weapon, and they had no idea how to adjust their sights properly and were simply guessing at it.  In fact, the head instructor failed to take the screw covers off the adjustment knobs for the scopes, and was simply turning these caps to make adjustments... until I *had* to point out what he was doing.  Unfortunately, the shooter never got a good zero for his weapon.

I am not telling you this for any other reason than that if you know anyone that is in the military, do EVERYTHING YOU CAN to encourage them to get to an appleseed, not once, but at LEAST twice.  It helped me so much that I was literally able to make a 100% sight correction after my first 3-round shot group.

Now, you guys getting after me about the AFQT... you're right, I should have done better.  Each target has to be engaged with 1 round each five separate times with 3 mag changes per stage - prone supported, prone unsupported, kneeling/sitting, standing, and another prone unsupported.  There is no time limit, so I could have taken a lot more time, but the point was to hit the silhouette anywhere, and that top right guy... I just overcompensated my NPOA shift and tried to muscle it back.  Not a good training tool, but I shot 49/50 rifle and 45/45 pistol, so I qualified expert both ( :P)

I should have internet access in Afghanistan.  I will try to keep in touch.  I might even ask some of the Indiana guys to email me some Appleseed stuff so I can plaster it all over the base, and maybe even host an April 19th event!

In any case I want to thank you all for your support, and to get after those troops.  Effective marksmanship is one of the most lacking skills that the military has today, and I think that Appleseed is helping make it better!

See you on the trail,

West :))

AZOpie

Good luck on the deployment, and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!   :bow: :bow: :bow:

Nice shooting on your quals  O0 - and there's still room for improvment.  >:D

AZO

MacMcM

TSK TSK TSK... that nasty NPOA thing nailed ya on the 300M target!!!

Great shootin' and keep us updated on your travels my friend!

Get me your email addy... I know a little waitress who would write to you  ^-^

Mac
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

jmdavis

West,

I want you on my team! I was kind of hoping that you might head down to the Ramseur RBC in Feb. No one is signed up yet. But it should be a good time. There is a Field Shoot the weekend before (Iceman).

Good luck and let us know where we can contact you or if you need anything.

Mike

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Johnnyappleseed

West ,
Thank You for your service Sir.
Semper Fidelis ,
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Earl

Well, what can I say beyond good-luck and God Bless your best? O0 For sure you can shoot. ;)
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

SkyHawk

Good Luck, Stay Safe and Thanks for you Service  O0
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

Boba Fett

49?    :o &)

So disappointed West. Sooooo dissapointed.... and you call yourself a Rifleman.  ::)   sheez!

Seriously though. Stay safe my brother. You'll be in my prayers.

Boba  >:D

Evenstar

God bless, West, and thank you for your service. You'll be in my prayers as well.
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

West

I wanted to add in here that this post is titled also "The Rifleman Lifestyle."  A great deal of this inspiration comes from a very close friend of mine, DrJohn from GA.

I've thought about this a lot and maybe some of you will agree, but being a Rifleman is more than having a "piece of cloth" (quote DrJohn).  It is a way of thinking about life, how one carries themselves, and behaves, even amongst "normal folk."  I was standing behind the firing line yesterday, watching how the line was being run, the safety measures, the behavior of some of the shooters and instructors and how much different it is from how things are done and taught at Appleseed.

I realized that most of those guys had no idea what they were getting into.  Deploying in a foreign country, possibly engaging real living people.  It's a scary prospect.

I also realized that I joined Appleseed to do exactly the opposite - to actively participate in my choice that our forefathers gave us; to make the choice to ensure that I never have to make the choice that they did.

After meeting so many of you, working with, living with, sharing with - I realized that Appleseed really does make people grow, and look at the world differently, and carry yourself differently.  I look at things with a much more realistic aspect now, I don't fret the small stuff, and I try not to stress too much when the time monkey gets on my back.  I tend to look at how a process is run and realized that if I ran it the way a shoot boss has to run an appleseed.... there really is plenty of daylight to get it all in, even if you are drinking from the firehose.

But, having taking a large splash from the firehose has allowed me to keep my cool under stress and in circumstances that other people would normally balk at - away from civilization for more than 3 months, the possibility that I may be living in less than comfortable conditions...

Well..  I will persist.  I want to thank you all for teaching me this.  I'm not sure how else to put it, there may be fewer words to put it to, but for now, this is the way I see it.  I am different person than I was a year ago; I've grown more and I think I am much more mature.  I am looking forward to shoot bossing next year when I get home, and being able to say "It's going to be alright."

Thanks John, you've been a real inspiration.  And thank all of you again that I have worked with.  And thank all of you out there that I haven't, that are trailblazing all across the country.  One day, I will meet you all!

'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means something, but more importantly it's who is standing beside you.

Thank you all for your support, and again, I'll see you on the trail.

West :))

Western Rose

Good luck, stay safe, and God bless. Thanks for all you do. You'll be in my prayers as well.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Gordon

DrJohn

West,

It is you who inspired me, my friend.  At out first meeting, when I was struggling and knew I could do much better, you took me aside, reminded me of the words from the movie "The Last Samurai", "No self, no self", and helped me settle down and build a little confidence.  You also gave generously of your time at night, and saw to it that I learned the proper way to field-strip an AR and get it back together properly, and shared your experience with being an Air Force marksmanship team captain.  We built a friendship that I value highly, and we shall miss your participation in Appleseed for a while.  Godspeed, my friend.

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

TruTenacity

West,

Thank you for letting your Appleseed family know of your deployment.  If you do find you have internet access, please keep us all updated. 

I'm thankful for the opportunity to have met you in Waterman.  Western Rose, Evenstar, and I will be able to put a face to the man we will faithfully be praying for.

Don't forget to post an April 19th AAR!

God's blessings upon you.

Shawn, TruT
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Taylor

Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

techres

West,

Thank you for your service in AS and the service coming.  If you need anything Pre-Deploy just let the Indiana crew know.

Now, in the true AS tradition, I am gonna ask you a few favors while you are gone:

1. APO.  Get it to us as fast as possible so we can get geared up.  Don't decline as the stuff we send will be for you but also for those around you.

2. PM when you can.

3. Take your book with you.  You know which one.

4. Don't fret about IN, we have it, however you are required to come back and do an event intact.

5. Let us know whatever you need.

Thanks again,  I expect to do many more shoots with you here with your fellow hoosiers and elsewhere on more border raids.  Stay safe, and get us an APO.

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

EEL

West, my brother,

I'll take you on my fire team any day....or better yet, I'd be proud to be on yours.

Stay safe.  Keep your head down.  Come back and we'll do some 'seeds together.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Pvt.Joker

Your account of the instructor not even knowing to remove scope covers is dismaying. I was afraid that might be the direction CATM was taking when it ceased to be a discrete AFSC...

We used to be better than that.
"The battlefields of history are littered with the bones of those, who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest; and, resting, died."   
"We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."
-John Adams, in a letter to his wife, Abigail.

dragonfly

God Speed my brother.
See you soon.

D-fly   Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

TBE

Be safe, help who you can.  We'll miss you in Indiana.  You're a good man,West and I look forward to showing you how much I have improved when you get back. 
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

AuntieBellum

West,

We can't thank you enough for everything you do - for what you do for Appleseed, yes - but, more importantly, for all you do protecting this great Nation.  Be safe out there.  Our prayers are with you. 

And no worries - we'll keep working while you're gone, but there will be lots left for you to do when you get back.   ;)

~AB
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Miki

West,

I'm a better riflewoman for having had the opportunity to work with you. Looking forward to more of that in the future. Stay safe!

Miki

Mudcat

Great shooting my friend! Not perfect but great. ;D

Be sure to pass along an addy for us and if you need anything be sure to just ask.
God speed and God Bless!
We will be awaiting your return to the line.

Mudcat
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

sashok.privetov

West,
Good luck to ya.  If the (ch)Airforce feels a little heat marinading on the base, call the Army! We'll bail ya out.   **)

Seriously, we're only a little better when it comes to riflery.
There is a saying in Russia, a notion really--Texan Politeness:
If you know that everyone around you has a gun, and everyone around you knows that you have a gun, everyone is very polite to each other.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.  --Thomas Jefferson

This message was sent with 100% recycled electrons.

SPQR

I reckon we can photograph just about every inch of every Bedford shoot we do and get those to you.  We can also send every ounce of love and support your way.  Remember your education, "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."  Help your buddies get better and send out a list of what you need as soon as you can.  Do the job quick, Souther Indiana wants its Instructor back.   
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Ratchett

West,

1.) Congratulations---you rocked those scores! I have seen you in action , you are amazing for sure!
2.) Who is taking care of your cat while you are away?? Let me know if you need a sitter.
Thank you for all that you stand for and your service to this country. Any needs you may have are just a PM away, let us know.
Most importantly, may God's blessings be upon you, you will be in prayers continuously.

Look forward to working with you on the trail when you get back...and you know you are always welcome in Athens anytime!!

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Andre

Looks like you have a new challenge to make AS history - AS in Afghanistan  :~

Keeping you in my prayers!

If we cross paths before you go, I hope to have some chocolates handy.   ;)

Andre

Lawrence

Fellow "Zoomie",

You will be a great and positive influence on all your fellow Airmen. This is your time and opportunity to serve. Make us proud!

I've added you to my "deployed" prayer list.

Lawrence

Castle Mountain

You best come and have dinner at our house before you leave out
Enroute to Decon's. Patriot Gal will cook you the best chicken dinner
You willl rember.

Love ya brother!

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Scarecrow

West, maintain situational awareness and come back safe.

The Scarecrow
Platoon 2 - Waterman 300.