News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How did you choose your Appleseed username?

Started by Son of Isaac, December 13, 2010, 04:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesauce4360

I thought about the appleSEED program. The seed will grow a tree, the tree will bear fruit, when that fruit matures it is delightful and may be used in many ways. Just like the way the Appleseed program may be used in many ways today.  My favorite way to consume an apple is to make tart Applesauce.  Comically, just like my real name, someoneelse already had the username Applesauce, so I added my street address number to make it unique.

jollynator

Mark Davis

I had some thoughts of joining the cowboy action shooters back in the '90s. Many of them took the names of real or fictitious low lives. I chose clodhopper because it was the farmers who tamed the west. Worked to hard to get in trouble, home with the family every night.
Plus a grandfather was named Claude.
So when signing on to this forum clodhopper is what came to mind in the pinch.
Never did join SASS, the accuracy requirements are a bit of a yawn.

Then telling the story Paul Revere's capture,  it occured to me, Paul looked into a pistol barrel and and said I'm Paul Revere.

You can't hide from "THEM" so why not face it?

I'm Mark Davis and this is how it is........

franklinfarmer

Quote from: dart67eb on December 13, 2010, 04:47:08 PM
I use it in other places and can only remember so much.  I know it's lame, but I make up for it with my avatar.  Now that's the question to ask!

That's not you in the pic? 
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

StoneDog

I have used "StoneDog" in forums since the mid 90's.  When I signed up on this forum before my first shoot in 2008 I used the name as a matter of course.

Had I known we go by forum names at the shoots (and that I was going to take an orange hat) I might have picked something else.

"Stonedog" (or more properly "Stone Dog") is the name a fierce desert warrior society in a fiction series I read back in college.  I liked the name back then and it just sort of stuck.

"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..."

--Samuel Adams

henschman

Ha, I bet when you registered, most of you thought you were just picking another forum name... not picking a whole alter ego that you assume on weekends when you are out spreading liberty, and one that a large number of your friends now know you by!  ;D

My last name is Hensch, and "henschman" is a nickname that my friends gave me back in high school.  It starts with a lower-case letter because this is the internet, where it is cool not to use punctuation.  I use it on just about every other forum I'm on, except for the ones I have been banned from and had to make a different name.

Not to be confused with the similar word "henchman" (without an "s") which means a person who performs nefarious deeds for a villain... though you may see me that way if you consider Fred a villain and the teaching of marksmanship and Revolutionary War history to be a nefarious deed.   >:D
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

mtmisfit

mt - location = Montana
misfit - name chosen by my trick when I told them they were described as misfits & losers by the other trick chiefs.

I've been misfit ever since, a title given to me by those 13 soldiers assigned to my trick in a foreign country far from home.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

StoneDog

Quote from: henschman on December 15, 2010, 01:05:19 PM
Ha, I bet when you registered, most of you thought you were just picking another forum name... not picking a whole alter ego that you assume on weekends when you are out spreading liberty, and one that a large number of your friends now know you by!  ;D ...

Exactly!
"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..."

--Samuel Adams

jgillaspy

Lack of imagination and consistency across many different gun-related forums. I have no need to hide behind some abstract moniker - rather a what-you-see-is-what-you-get sorta guy.

John Gillaspy

ETA: Wow, 1st post...

dart67eb

Quote from: franklinfarmer on December 15, 2010, 10:48:27 AM
I use it in other places and can only remember so much.  I know it's lame, but I make up for it with my avatar.  Now that's the question to ask!

It's actually my favorite robot.    I'm better looking, though.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

K98Al

K98Al - kinda self-explanatory I think. I'm kinda prone to using 98s for everything from deer to hogs to Appleseeds to the military bolt matches I used to attend. Some folks whine about the recoil, but they usually don't have it shouldered well. I like to think that mine served in the struggle against Communism way back when. O0
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

vernic82

Vernic is the family name.

82(nd) is where I Jumped (learned in GA) and did a few other things  ;)
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

franklinfarmer

Now I'm *really* looking forward to meeting you.

Quote from: dart67eb on December 16, 2010, 11:52:07 AM

It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

scuzzy

scuzzy: The name of my favorite dog, now dead and gone. However he lives on in my memory and my forum handle.

Kind of like the memory of our forefathers. By keeping the founders of this country, and scuzzy, in my heart, I keep them alive.

Here's a pic. scuzzy is on the right, that's Rocco on the left.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Son of Isaac

Quote from: scuzzy on December 16, 2010, 08:25:59 PM

scuzzy: The name of my favorite dog, now dead and gone. However he lives on in my memory and my forum handle.

Kind of like the memory of our forefathers. By keeping the founders of this country, and scuzzy, in my heart, I keep them alive.

Here's a pic. scuzzy is on the right, that's Rocco on the left.

Scuzzy,

I think that's great!  Thanks for posting the pic!  My dog's name is Spartacus and I can't imagine ever having another dog that could measure.  I guess that would have made for a good handle for me!

~TravelPatriot

dart67eb

You'll be in for a surprise!

Quote from: franklinfarmer on December 16, 2010, 06:47:53 PM

dart67eb

I have my fans, though.

Quote from: dart67eb on December 16, 2010, 09:12:58 PM

You'll be in for a surprise!

Quote from: franklinfarmer on December 16, 2010, 06:47:53 PM

LadyZipper

LadyZipper was a CB handle given to me by two sisters with the CB handles of Silly Squirrel and Double Stroker. They said I looked like the bug named Zipper on the since canceled, cartoon show, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers. They decided the bug was a boy; and since I was a girl, I was the Lady Zipper. For 18 years I have gone by that moniker.

-Vicki

cswhitfield

How did you pick your screen name?
Let's see...... cswhitfield, not a lot of imagination there.  I signed up on the forum over a year before I attended my first Appleseed.  The primary reason I signed up was to learn about RWVA and Appleseed and decide if I wanted to attend an Appleseed event.  This is the first (only) forum I have signed up on.  I did not feel any need to disguise who I am.  Not being familiar with forum protocol or etiquette I did not realize there were various reasons for people choosing a screen name.  Besides I am really a fairly plain & simple, what you see is what you get, type of person.  After Sanderman threw an Orange Hat at me and I decided I didn't want to give it back I started thinking I might just need to get me one of those catchy forum names.  My first thought was to use something that honored Carlos Hathcock, a true Hero and true Rifleman in every sense.  I couldn't come up with anything that didn't seem rather pretentious so I began to think in another direction.  I have always loved and had dogs.  I have been one of the fortunate that has actually been owned and loved by that one special, extraordinary pet, a blonde Lab named Sunny.  Ever since I was very young I have been amazed and awed by the dogs that served in our military and the important role they played.  Several years back I stumbled across a video on the Internet titled "WAR DOGS".  For those that like and admire our canine friends you should try to find and watch that video.  I warn you up front it will put your heart in your throat and your screen will get real blurry.  Any way I decided that WarDog might be a good screen name to go by but I needed a picture to go with it so others would understand the meaning behind it.  I knew the picture I wanted but could not get it to fit in the space allotted for profile pictures.  Without going through the details and further embarrassing myself with my lack of computer savvy I'll just say some time passed before I figured it out.  The result is the picture you see under my screen name.  Not sure whether I will go ahead and change my screen name but the picture stays for now as a tribute to our four legged Marines and Soldiers.  Many GIs owe their lives to these incredible dogs.  The photograph is of Cpl. R.E. Lowe and Dutch on Okinawa in WWII.  Dutch alerted his fellow Marines to a Japanese platoon waiting in ambush 150 yards away.

Long post for, yeah I used my name.

Semper Fi,

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Heimdhal

I get asked the question literaly everywhere I go.  So I might as well post:

First and formost, it is pronounced "HAME-DOLL" like Fame.  This is what usualy starts all the conversations on my name.

Been using mine for just nearly a decade now. I am of Nordic and Celtic decent (with a little italian thrown in for flavor) and was always fascinated by european folklore and mythology.  

I chose Heimdhal (and yes, it is misspelled, long story) way back when in my days of online First Person Shooter games on the internet (still play em with the same name!)  Heimdall ( <--correct spelling) is one of the more fascinating gods in Norse Mythology, one of the most important and unfortunatley one of the least known.  Heimdall is the gaurdian of all the other Asa, he is a keen a feirce warrior, but he doesnt war for the sake of war like some of the other gods.  He was also intrumental in the creation of the first lines of men and is regarded as one of the wisest gods.

Many of his attributes also bear a striking resemblence to our Republic's ideals when it was new.  We were(are) a union of Republics, bound for the common defence and well being of the People.  We did not make war lightly, adopting a defensive nature instead, but when we made war, we fought with vigorous furry.

Odds are about 99.99% if you see a Heimdhal somewhere, anywhere, on the internet, spelled just like that, its me.  So say "hi" wont-cha?

Son of Isaac

cswhitfield (AKA WarDog),

Thanks for the explanation.  I've often wondered if you were in the photo.  I think it actually looks like a younger version of you!

~TravelPatriot

Son of Isaac

Heimdhal,

Thanks for the post.  I really like the analogy.

~TravelPatriot

Momma Bear

It chose me.  Be prepared for the invasion.  Zombies suck.  Practice the 250 red coat head shot.  That's the one you will need to master.   ;D
Bad Idea to get between a Momma Bear and her Cubs.

JustJeff

Quote from: ZombieSlayer on December 23, 2010, 04:14:26 PM
It chose me.  Be prepared for the invasion.  Zombies suck.  Practice the 250 red coat head shot.  That's the one you will need to master.   ;D
**) **) :D
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

PHenry

Easy peasy. I am an abrasive, yet passionately patriotic man who is at his best in a time of crisis and purpose. I am ill-suited to calm and quiet. I have a penchant for oratory and inciting others to become involved in Liberty. I am descended from a long line of independent thinkers. I walk in the shadows of great men and aspire to follow their teachings.
PHenry = no "F" sound.  :cool2:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Cyclops WY

It's the oppsite of Open Sights.  I know.....I know.........  M1 Grand...... M14.............  M16............ But I really like my 4X Scope.  I really do.  And Fred said I could use it...... So there.   O0
I might have been called that at my first AS shoot.  I have broken down and purchased another ruger 10/22 and put tech-sites on it.  I still like my 4X.  I also have a Fixed 3X on my AR15.  And Fred said that was OK too.   :)

Cyclops_WY
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson

desertrat144

It pretty much chose me, as that is what I basically am; the 144= 1 gross, or what the kids always said some of the things I was up to in the boonies were.

Tom

Added July 2013- The "...that's gross!" was a standard comment from a lot of young people (<25 years old) when I was doing Civil War reenacting- generally demonstrating how a turkey was cooked over an open fire, but also went to other demonstrations of things done during that time period.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Lyberty

Well, I didn't choose my screen name.  A wonderful group of instructors (you know who you are ;)!!!) gave me that name when I shot Rifleman almost two years ago.  It's a combination of my name given name and "liberty" (because after I shot Rifleman, a bald eagle flew over the range ..:..).
"The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation."
2 Samuel 22:47

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."  John F. Kennedy

cswhitfield

TravelPatriot,

Thanks for the opportunity to explain the picture.  I had not thought that someone might think it was me in the picture.  My time was about 25 years later.  Now I know I look kinda rough but I ain't that old! :cool2:  Still not sure if I'll actually change the screen name but I like the picture and the dogs it pays tribute to.  Still looking for a picture of the TP suite case sitting in the lobby of the worlds busiest airport.

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

yonah

Yonah became my handle all the way back in 1975 when I became a rock climbing junky. I learned to climb on a mountain near Helen, Ga. called Mt. Yonah. It is used by the Army Rangers from Camp Frank D. Merrel in Dahlonega, Ga as a training area for their mountaineering skills. It stuck.
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.