News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Suggestions for a Rifle for my Wife

Started by TexLawyer, December 09, 2010, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexLawyer

I was able to talk my wife into signing up with me for an Appleseed in April.  She has only shot a rifle once before.  It was my AR-15, which she thought kicked a lot.  I have considered having her shoot my old Marlin 60 but I am afraid she will be frustrated having to load the tube mag from a prone position at Appleseed.  Do any of you have recommendations for rifles that are particularly well suited for ladies?  Obviously, I am looking primarily at .22 LR rifles but may consider others on strong recommendations.
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" - Micah 6:8

wesm

If your only hesitation about the Marlin model 60 is the tubular mag, take a look at a Marlin 795.  These are available in MS at Academy Sports, I think y'all have them in TX as well.  They are usually about $125-130, and Marlin has a $25 mail-in rebate all year I believe, so your effective cost would be right at $100.  They are essentially the same thing as a Marlin 60, except they have a detachable 10-rd magazine instead of the tube mag of the 60.

They also have a synthetic stock instead of the wooden stock - which I'm not wild about - but they come with sling studs already installed, so that makes up for the synthetic stock a little.  You can get additional mags for the 795 for around $14 or so each from www.cdnninvestments.com.  Other places charge as much as $28-30 per mag.

Most people will probably steer you towards the Ruger 10/22, it is a very popular 22 rifle, but it is more expensive and (I don't believe) quite as accurate out of the box.  Give the Marlin 795 a look, I think you'll be impressed with what you get for the money.

Good luck!
"Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty!" - Samuel Adams

henschman

I would suggest a Marlin 795, which is a magazine-fed .22 LR.  A Ruger 10/22 is also a popular choice in this category, but they have an annoying feature from the factory... their bolt release is hard to operate for those who aren't experienced with it.  They also have an extraordinarily heavy trigger.  These things add extra frustration to someone who is already having a lot of unfamiliar material thrown at her.  They can be fixed by some not-too-difficult modification, or by an after-market hammer and bolt release, but I say why bother when the Marlin is already cheaper than the Ruger and it comes pretty much good to go.  Just add 1 1/4" sling swivels, a GI web sling, an extra magazine, and either a set of Tech Sights or a low-power scope with some low rings, depending on how her eyesight is.

Yep, I think a Marlin 795 would be just the ticket.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

JustJeff

Quote from: henschman on December 09, 2010, 11:06:24 AM
I would suggest a Marlin 795, which is a magazine-fed .22 LR.  A Ruger 10/22 is also a popular choice in this category, but they have an annoying feature from the factory... their bolt release is hard to operate for those who aren't experienced with it.  They also have an extraordinarily heavy trigger.  These things add extra frustration to someone who is already having a lot of unfamiliar material thrown at her.  They can be fixed by some not-too-difficult modification, or by an after-market hammer and bolt release, but I say why bother when the Marlin is already cheaper than the Ruger and it comes pretty much good to go.  Just add 1 1/4" sling swivels, a GI web sling, an extra magazine, and either a set of Tech Sights or a low-power scope with some low rings, depending on how her eyesight is.

Yep, I think a Marlin 795 would be just the ticket.

We bought two 795's and I love them....  if you go the 'scope route' make sure you spend the extra money for a decent one (I'm sure someone will chime in with a particular one)..... when you buy the $20 ones you get what you buy.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

ErikAnderson

I'll 3rd (or is that 4th) the 795. We've got one and it's decked out with four mags, tech sights, and a GI sling. All told after rebate, we're sitting right at the cost of a bone stock 10/22. 

It's a solid rifle that is very capable and won't break the bank.  All pluses in my book.

douglas34474

IMHO, take the 60 and see if you can let her use a 10-22 loaner at the event. I would let her try out as many rifles as you can and let her decide which one she likes the best, but that's just me. A lot depends on her physical size. If this will be her rifle, make sure it fits her. If you scope it, put an adjustable comb on the butt stock and make sure that she can 'turkey neck' and have the correct eye relief when she does. There is nothing worse that a scoped rifle that you have to use a 'chin weld' on, moving your head back and forth to get a proper eye relief.

Tube fed rifles are not a problem. Make a "Red Neck" speed loader out of a soda straw with one end stapled closed. You can buy the equivalent, but hay, why spend money you don't have to.  ;)

The tube feeders, at our events at least, are allowed to load the mag tube during prep period. They have to leave the inner tube about 3" out of the end of the outer tube and leave the chamber flag in place. When everyone is given the 'LOAD' command they push the inner tube home, remove the chamber flag and close the bolt. I'm sure someone will correct me if this info is incorrect.

Have a great time.  O0

Douglas

Johnnyappleseed

The Marlin 795 to my knowledge does not allow dry fire . That being said I still think it's a good choice .

I have heard some folks say the 795 is too light . One gun crank  ;D on this forum added a steel rod w/epoxy in the fore end.

Another nice thing about the 795 is the ability to use "tech sights"

JA

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

yellowhousejake

795 can dry fire just fine. Take a 795 mag, a paperclip/staple/hair pin, and a chamber flag. Push the chamber end of the flag down into the mag until the follow is below the hole in the side of the mag. Insert paperclip/staple/hair pin through hole and remove the chamber flag. Takes about as much time to do as it does to describe. Insert the mag back into rifle and dry fire to your hearts desire.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

LayloPro

I'll chorus pretty much what Douglas said.....

Our last AS, we had a shooters wife who wasn't "super familiar" with all the different rifle combos out there...... :sos:
After running her thru 4 different .22's, she settled on the 795 as being the one she preferred the most.... 8)

It does have a longer LOP than the 10/22, and since it is mag fed, "easier" than a tuber to load.....

I personally have all these as LTR's, and they all perform adequately...... ..:..

A lot depends on her physical size. If this will be her rifle, make sure it fits her.
The primary point is to find what she likes (fits best) and let her run that, since the focus is to make -her- a better shot than she is currently, without worry about equipment.  :)

And, you'll probably find that after doing an AS, she probably won't find your AR that "objectionable", since she'll be better able to handle the rifle/recoil..... O0 ;)

If you scope it, put an adjustable comb on the butt stock and make sure that she can 'turkey neck' and have the correct eye relief when she does. There is nothing worse that a scoped rifle that you have to use a 'chin weld' on, moving your head back and forth to get a proper eye relief.
Personally, I get a bit annoyed at folks that put on too high a ring/mount system, then wonder why they can't see thru it.... #) ++)
If at all possible, have her where ever you have the scope mounted, as it's -her eye- that needs to be accommodated to it, not the tech's......that said, it may be better done -after- the AS, since then she'll have a far better understanding of what is meant by "turkey neck"...... ;)

All the other posters have made good points from the field, I hope these has helped you..... O0
As with anything, YMMV, but have her try as many as she can.....that will put her the most at ease......

LLP

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

TaosGlock

Both have a few shortcomings but are fine for new shooters and others alike.

An out of the box 795 is more shooter friendly than than the out of the box 10/22. A couple of mods people do to the to the 10/22 are already standard on the 795.
The stock Ruger bolt release is often hopeless for newbies and is always the deal killer.

The Marlins mags are usually more reliable and very easy to take apart. But you do not want to put pressure on the Marlin mag (hand or sling) or the rifle will malf.

Bulk ammo is the least reliable in either when chambers get hot and dirty and the shooting turns fast and furious.
CCI mini mags, Federal Auto Match and Blazer bulk have been the most reliable in my LTR's.

We have both models that we lend out if needed. All shoot 3MOA or so. 
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

TaosGlock

Actually there is whole topic on the discussion of these rifles that is very extensive.  ^-^
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

doubleLL

This is from a woman's perspective:

I was in the same boat as ya'll. I was scared of guns and had no experience shooting a rifle. My husband did some research and decided to get me the Ruger 10/22 from Wal-mart.  I am not going to lie, the Ruger needed some range time prior to taking it out to the AS. I remembered having problems with the bolt and mag during my first AS.  But, now I LOVE my ruger! 

My suggestions are: 

Stay with a .22 LR, I don't think I would have liked shooting if he put me on a higher caliber rifle. I believe the .22LR are the best way to learn all the fundamentals and not scare her off.   O0

From my experience I would suggest looking at a rifle that will fit your wife the best.  Both the Marlin and Ruger are good rifles. . The stock on the Marlin is a little long for me and I have a hard time getting a good sight picture. Luckily the Ruger 10/22 was just the right length. My husband also replaced the sights with the Tech-Sights, which I was glad. The tech-sights really helped me understand the instruction since the instructors had pictures that matched what I was seeing.

The sling is a must!! I will not shoot without a sling! The sling helps steady the rifle and in my mind lessens "the kick". The sling by far made the biggest impact in a postive way on my shooting. 

The line boss calling the line should give the tube fed rifles time to load. You can get McDonald's straws and use them as a "mag" and this will help speed the loading process. 

If you guys are coming out to a Texas shoot, let me know and I will see if we have a loaner rifle. I am in Keller, Texas and have both a Ruger and Marlin. If you guys want to meet me up at Quail Creek range, I can bring both rifles out and we can let her try them out.  I would be happy to work with your wife and find her a rifle that works best. Just send me a "personal message" on the forum and we can work out details.

By the way - We have a DFW-Quail Creek shoot coming up on January!!   ..:..  ..:..
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

AuntieBellum

Another suggestion from a lady:  Take your wife with you and let her pick it out.  Explain to her beforehand what her options are (if she doesn't know already), and then take her to a store with friendly sales associates and where she'll have lots of space and time to try out several options.  The Marlin and Ruger described above are good choices, but they're certainly not the only choices.  She may even have different choices such as stock color and material, sights, etc among those models.  For instance, I've seen Ruger 10/22s on the shelf with black synthetic stocks, stained wooden stocks, pink and blue stocks, Ruger stock sights, scopes, etc.  Each variation feels a little different.  Let her find something she likes, and then she'll be that much happier with the purchase.  Have fun! 
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

SavageShootr

Quote from: yellowhousejake on December 09, 2010, 12:33:17 PM
795 can dry fire just fine. Take a 795 mag, a paperclip/staple/hair pin, and a chamber flag. Push the chamber end of the flag down into the mag until the follow is below the hole in the side of the mag. Insert paperclip/staple/hair pin through hole and remove the chamber flag. Takes about as much time to do as it does to describe. Insert the mag back into rifle and dry fire to your hearts desire.

YHJ

What Johnnyappleseed should have said (and did mean) is that the 795 cannot be dryfired without the magazine in. Therefore cannot be dry fired at an appleseed event, because the safety rule is "Do not load until given the load command" and doesn't only mean prepped magazines.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

SavageShootr

Quote from: SavageShootr on December 09, 2010, 03:38:04 PM

What Johnnyappleseed should have said (and did mean) is that the 795 cannot be dryfired without the magazine in. Therefore cannot be dry fired at an appleseed event, because the safety rule is "Do not load until given the load command" and doesn't only mean prepped magazines.

Just to clarify.

I have been asked, via PM, if this is official policy. I couldn't answer if that is indeed the case. It would seem to me to be so, but I am not certain. My only answer to that is, if it is or if it isn't, it is at the AS events, I SB. My Line Boss, can't tell if that magazine hanging down there is prepped or not, and unless the Instructors on the line were right there when it was inserted, they wouldn't know either.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

yellowhousejake

I have done so by using this method. I take one of my spare mags (or the shooters on Saturday when they do not need two mags) and pin it.

Then secure the pin by adding several, like 8 or 9, wraps of bright pink duct tape. That precludes the mag from feeding rounds and makes the mag visibly a dummy mag to the instructors.

If the shooter is well informed and the instructors are well informed as to the identity of the pinned mag, I feel it is safe.

Ideally I want to make several dummy blocks from plastic just for loaning to Marlin shooters. I am experimenting with old cutting boards right now, my first was a failure. When I get time I'll try again.

YellowHouseJake

Quote from: SavageShootr on December 09, 2010, 03:38:04 PM
Quote from: yellowhousejake on December 09, 2010, 12:33:17 PM

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SavageShootr

As far as suggestions for a rifle for anyone. I agree with AuntieBellum. Take her with you and see what fits. 

Pappy

At the risk of offending the Marlin groupees, Please stick with the Ruger 10-22, ease of cleaning ease of maintainance, ease of mags dropping free ease of up grades, the story of the 10-22 is still being written..Not so for Marlington
I feel it would be your best choice as a trainer. Costs more but its worth it.. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

4bfox

OK...I'll throw my 2¢ in. I like the Remington 597....already has most of the stuff fixed on it...bolt locks back, auto bolt release, mag drops easily. Only thing I did to mine was add an aftermarket extractor after a couple thousand rounds.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

Wheeler44

Quote from: Pappy on December 09, 2010, 07:51:40 PM
At the risk of offending the Marlin groupees, Please stick with the Ruger 10-22, ease of cleaning ease of maintainance, ease of mags dropping free ease of up grades, the story of the 10-22 is still being written..Not so for Marlington
I feel it would be your best choice as a trainer. Costs more but its worth it.. Pappy
Huh?????Pappy....ya have to end that with ...YMMV..."cause mine sure does...It costs upwards of $400.00 to make a 10-22 equal to an outta the box Marlin...My loaner has been loaned out for every shoot that I've been at, plus a lot of shootin' on the side and I prefer it over any of my 10-22s...If were gonna spend the dough on makin' a 10-22 run and shoot as well as a 795, I'd just buy a CZ, but that's a whole 'nuther league o' rifle..

Of course YMMV..

Wheeler44

No offense meant or intended...Sorry if this post strays from mission...
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

The Kid

I skimmed this quickly so I might have missed someone mention it.

Two words: TECH SIGHTS

Good luck

TK
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

wcmartin1

After loaning out a 10/22 and a 795 at several events my experience is that the Marlin is preferred by most of the new shooters due to ease of operation and reliability, but you really can't go wrong with either one.

We certainly are blessed to have both of these fine rifles available to us.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

didactic

Let me add one piece of advice that comes at least as much from my experience as a Concealed Handgun License instructor as from an Appleseed RH, and this is to anybody with a less-experiences shooter as a significant other:

Don't buy her a rifle. 

Go along with her to give advice and support, and HELP HER buy a rifle.

This shooting thing is supposed to be empowering for her, so she should be making, or at least having a big input toward, the decisions.

I've lost count of the number of women who arrived for CHL class with a pistol that didn't fit them, and they couldn't make work right, because some (usually) well-meaning man made a purchase decision for them, and it turned out for some unanticipated reason to be a wrong one.

It might even be a better idea for her to attend an Appleseed and use a loaner rifle, THEN go shopping.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

JustJeff

Quote from: didactic on December 09, 2010, 11:50:45 PM
Let me add one piece of advice that comes at least as much from my experience as a Concealed Handgun License instructor as from an Appleseed RH, and this is to anybody with a less-experiences shooter as a significant other:

Don't buy her a rifle. 

Go along with her to give advice and support, and HELP HER buy a rifle.

This shooting thing is supposed to be empowering for her, so she should be making, or at least having a big input toward, the decisions.

I've lost count of the number of women who arrived for CHL class with a pistol that didn't fit them, and they couldn't make work right, because some (usually) well-meaning man made a purchase decision for them, and it turned out for some unanticipated reason to be a wrong one.

It might even be a better idea for her to attend an Appleseed and use a loaner rifle, THEN go shopping.

O0
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

eaglescouter

That's how we did it too.  I introduced her to shooting, she shot my M1 Carbine, M1 Garand and ancient single shot bolt action .22 (started on the .22).

Then a week later took her to the gun store and she made her purchase.  Not my rifle, her rifle.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Johnnyappleseed

Does CZ make a 22 self loader?
My Buddy shoots a bolt model and it is well made and accurate . Mags however are close to $40 each .
Probably not a big deal for a woman  ::)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Wheeler44

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on December 10, 2010, 01:33:48 AM
Does CZ make a 22 self loader?
My Buddy shoots a bolt model and it is well made and accurate . Mags however are close to $40 each .
JA
I don't believe that they do.....But what does that matter? A rifle is a rifle..They hold 10 rds. and are way more accurate than any semi-auto that I could afford. Lots of folks shoot rifleman and better with a good bolt action.

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

JonL

CZ does now make the 512, which is semi automatic.  Its just come in to the american market in the last couple of weeks.

TexLawyer

Thank you all for your suggestions.  It sounds like the Marlin 795 and the Ruger 10/22 are the clear front runners.  I love my old Marlin 60.  After 20 years it still shoots like a champ.  It can be a little testy with bulk ammo but I do not think that is a trait unique to the Marlins.  If the 795 is basically the 60 with a box magazine, I imagine it will be a great little rifle, too.   

I agree with the recommendations to take her to check several of them out and pick the one that feels best to her.  That's the same way she ended up with a Walther PPS for her CCW.  (I never would have guessed that she would pick the Walther but she said it felt the best in her hand.  I could not argue with her reasoning.)  This rules out surprising her with the rifle as a gift but she will probably be happier with it in the long run if she chooses it.

She loves shooting pistols so I am pretty sure she will love shooting rifles as well.  I am just afraid that she will be a better shot than me.  She is already a better shot with a pistol.  (I guess I better not maker her mad if she can beat me in a gun fight.)  I do look forward to introducing her to something I love to do, though.  It's always more fun when you get to share your hobbies with the people you like to be around.

Again, thank you all for the recommendations.  If anyone has any others, I'm always open to additional information.
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" - Micah 6:8

starfox

Quote from: TexLawyer on December 10, 2010, 11:27:55 AM
She loves shooting pistols so I am pretty sure she will love shooting rifles as well.  I am just afraid that she will be a better shot than me.  She is already a better shot with a pistol.  (I guess I better not maker her mad if she can beat me in a gun fight.)  I do look forward to introducing her to something I love to do, though.  It's always more fun when you get to share your hobbies with the people you like to be around.

Speaking from experience (DoubleLL is my better half), it's not that bad to have a wife that 1) loves shooting, and 2) is a helluva shot.  The only downside is it does tend to take the toll on the old bank account.  Oh sure there's a slight jealous twinge that she can shoot my old AR better than I ever have, but it's worth it for the feather ruffling pride I'm going to get from her first NRA high power match when she bests guys who have been doing it for years and years.   ;D
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10