News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Suggestions for a Rifle for my Wife

Started by TexLawyer, December 09, 2010, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

semi auto vs bolt ,lever ,pump
Although I would never discourage any gun purchase  :o

My personal opinion is for the semi auto-- I like the idea of folks buying self loading firearms #1 they are faster ,all things being equal.
#2 Those who would deny firearm freedom seem to choose the self loaders as a target, confusing full auto w/semi auto and throwing in the the meaningless term assault weapon .

A newer shooter who buys a semi auto and see's a network documentary of bullets spraying w/o end will quickly figure out his TV has zero credibilty . That realisation is more valuable than even a rifleman score .
Respectfully ,
JA

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

mtmisfit

Quote from: TexLawyer on December 09, 2010, 10:53:48 AM
I was able to talk my wife into signing up with me for an Appleseed in April.  She has only shot a rifle once before.  It was my AR-15, which she thought kicked a lot.  I have considered having her shoot my old Marlin 60 but I am afraid she will be frustrated having to load the tube mag from a prone position at Appleseed.  Do any of you have recommendations for rifles that are particularly well suited for ladies?  Obviously, I am looking primarily at .22 LR rifles but may consider others on strong recommendations.

Arrange for her to use a loaner rifle at the shoot. Have her try a couple different rifles and let her pick what she likes best. Most shooters have no problem letting someone try out their rifle.

"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

Wheeler44

Johnny appleseed.....Interesting reason to buy a rifle.......I suppose you could call a bolt action a "sniper rifle" and scare (or perturb) the same amount of people... I personally acquire rifles for their ability to shoot well.

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

TexLawyer

Just to update everyone, I took my wife to BassPro to test the feel of the 10/22 and the 795.  My wife has wisdom beyond her years and knew she wanted to shoot them before making her decision.  Since I did not have access to a 795, we took out my Marlin 60 since it is basically the same gun.  We also borrowed my dad's 10/22.  She liked the way they both shot equally well, though she liked the modifications I had on my 60 (Williams peep rear sight with a fire sight on front plus a sling).  Since we can make modifications like that to any rifle, we decided on the 10/22 for the sheer availability of after-market modifications.  To make a long story short, Santa left her a 10/22 under the tree yesterday.  As it turns out, Santa left me one, too.  We're taking them out this afternoon to start breaking them in before our next Appleseed.  Thanks again to everyone for your recommendations and advice.
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" - Micah 6:8

henschman

I'm glad you settled on something.  Either a Marlin or a Ruger makes a fine training rifle. 

This frees up your other Marlin... which means you are now required to drag a friend with you to the next Appleseed along with your wife!
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

oladcock

"To make a long story short, Santa left her a 10/22 under the tree yesterday.  As it turns out, Santa left me one, too.  We're taking them out this afternoon to start breaking them in before our next Appleseed.  Thanks again to everyone for your recommendations and advice."

Good deal and hope it was fun! We've got 2 10-22's and love them. We took my wifes and cut 2" off the wood stock then put a slip on rubber recoil pad that adds 1" in length. What this does is the sticky rubber doesn't slide around between shots. Those made the gun fit her perfectly. Definitely mod the bolt release, it's easy and makes them much more user friendly. Along with tech sights or a decent scope, you've got some shooters....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

yellowhousejake

Quote from: oladcock on December 27, 2010, 03:10:38 PM

Good deal and hope it was fun! We've got 2 10-22's and love them. We took my wifes and cut 2" off the wood stock then put a slip on rubber recoil pad that adds 1" in length. What this does is the sticky rubber doesn't slide around between shots. Those made the gun fit her perfectly. Definitely mod the bolt release, it's easy and makes them much more user friendly. Along with tech sights or a decent scope, you've got some shooters....O.L.

A word of warning, be careful with the auto bolt release. When new shooters use them it is easy to knock the bolt back while removing the chamber flag, which releases the bolt and then requires two hands and some frustration to remove the flag. I've seen it three times now on the line. When you see shooters yanking the flag out while the bolt slams forward, check their release for being sensitive.

I find it easier to teach the proper use of the bolt release to new owners. Done properly it is an easy one handed operation even with heavy gloves in winter. Just MO.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

oladcock

YHJ, Yep, seen that too but is reduced if flags are cut as suggested in the Shoot Boss Manual. That problem occures during prep time, not near as frustrating as the other problem during rapid fire mag changes. JMO of course...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

yellowhousejake

Quote from: oladcock on December 28, 2010, 01:52:37 PM
YHJ, Yep, seen that too but is reduced if flags are cut as suggested in the Shoot Boss Manual. That problem occures during prep time, not near as frustrating as the other problem during rapid fire mag changes. JMO of course...O.L.

How so? a 10-22 doesn't lock the bolt back after the last shot. Once the COF is started a 10-22 behaves the same way, bolt lock mod or not. I have myself forgot to hit the bolt release after a mag change on my Marlin, but never on my 10-22s.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SamD

QuoteDone properly it is an easy one handed operation even with heavy gloves in winter. Just

I Knew, it I knew, I knew it, Yellowhouse jake is a 6 fingered dwarf.  **) That's the only thing I know of that thinks operating a 10-22 bolt release is easy

Grumpy

I just use my pinky finger to work the bolt release...pull the bolt with my index finger and flick the BHO with my pinky.
Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.