News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Steel targets for Appleseed practice

Started by Houston, November 14, 2010, 11:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade

Quote from: Houston on November 29, 2010, 01:32:00 PM
Thanks.

I looked at Bobcat steel, but again my club won't allow silhouette targets, well not silhouettes of people anyway.  Animals are fair game.
Tell them its not a people silhouette its a silouette of a Flesh Eatting Muntant Zombie Paratrooper Monkey.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Wade

Quote from: Houston on November 28, 2010, 11:57:34 PM
How do you mount it to the wood?

I do have to follow the lead of the RSOs at my sportsman club.

I can't wait to go shooting again, to try and find NPOA.  I also can't wait until next year to earn my Rifleman's patch.  I previously got the USAF Expert Marksman ribbon, but I honestly think that was mostly luck.  This time it will be mostly skill.
Just like I said  I set the steel on the wood 4x4's the steek bit of I beam is roughly 20 inchs by 20 inchs  an I beam this short will sit all by its self just fine  ,, and yes its getting tore up   >:D ;) but it was free.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

franklinfarmer

FYI

Stage 1 start standing, remain standing, 10 rounds 2 minutes, one (man-sized) target at 100 yards.

Stage 2 start standing, transition to sitting with magazines prepped on the mat with 2 rounds and 8 rounds.  Upon "fire" command, transition and load the 2 round mag. 55 seconds to put 5 holes in each of two targets at 200 yards.

Stage 3 start standing, transition to prone with magazines prepped with 2 and 8 on the mat.  Upon "fire" transition and load the 2 round mag.  65 seconds to put holes 3, 3, and 4 in three targets at 300 yards.

Stage 4 start prone and remain prone.  10 rounds 5 minutes, 4 targets at 400 yards.  Holes: 2, 2, 3, and 3.

OK, IIT's, now's your chance to correct me.

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

06en

Quote from: franklinfarmer on November 29, 2010, 11:04:37 PM
FYI

Stage 1 start standing, remain standing, 10 rounds 2 minutes, one (man-sized) target at 100 yards.

Stage 2 start standing, transition to sitting with magazines prepped on the mat with 2 rounds and 8 rounds.  Upon "fire" command, transition and load the 2 round mag. 55 seconds to put 5 holes in each of two targets at 200 yards.

Stage 3 start standing, transition to prone with magazines prepped with 2 and 8 on the mat.  Upon "fire" transition and load the 2 round mag.  65 seconds to put holes 3, 3, and 4 in three targets at 300 yards.

Stage 4 start prone and remain prone.  10 rounds 5 minutes, 4 targets at 400 yards.  Holes: 2, 2, 3, and 3.

OK, IIT's, now's your chance to correct me.

FF

Just curious, are you gonna give these shooters a preperation period? O0

Houston

"Shooters your preparation period has ended, with 10 rounds......LOAD!"

After my wife saying "I do" and my son's babbles (he's only 6 months old) those might just be some of my favorite words.

BTW - I am going to contact gongshot to suggest that they make an Appleseed section of their online store with the targets I am having them make for me.  I will also inform them of the AQT target specifications.

nodeal

For 22's, I've found that one of those ubiquitous real estate sign frames makes a really good hanger for my 8" steel plate. The frame is light, has a horizontal bar for pressing it into the ground with your foot, and the plate swinging against the frame makes for a very nice ring. I use some heavy gauge wire to suspend the plate from the hanger. It holds up great as long as you're only hitting it with 22s.

I have an AR-500 plate and I've hit it with 7.62x39, 7.62x54R steel core mil surp, 5.45x39 steel core, and regular 5.56. I was surprised find that the only thing to make significant divots was the 5.56.

techres

Quote from: NMMI9100 on November 29, 2010, 10:23:05 PM

Techres:  how much for those D-targets?

$40 (actually $36 on sale).  Dinky tried to hurt it with .223 steel core:

I now have a cloverleaf .223 piece of core in my pocket!  The target is just fine...
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

shaftoe

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. --Edmund Burke

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.  --Theodore Roosevelt

Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Aromatic

We have a group buy going on right now (for full size targets).  See my link a few posts up. 

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Houston

techres

Quote from: Houston on December 01, 2010, 03:11:19 PM
That's the Stage 1 target?

That's an exact size match of the standing stage AQT target.  It includes all scorable area.  It is not a full D sized target.  I was trying to show what is available right now.  We use it at Riley as at our 230 yard distance lane.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

shaftoe

Any way to order the stage 1 sized target?  That would be more practical for distances around here.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. --Edmund Burke

Bobcat Steel

Quote from: shaftoe on December 01, 2010, 07:59:10 PM
Any way to order the stage 1 sized target?  That would be more practical for distances around here.

We have a group buy on the stage 1s going now.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18937.msg151399;topicseen#msg151399

Thanks for the kind words Josh!!

Houston - Glad you found what you needed. It was nice talking to you on your project. If there is a larger interest in that size, I would be very interested in carrying that or any other Appleseed specific targets. Just let me know and I can get to drawing!

Houston

Bobcat, I am not trying to pull business away from you.  I was just sharing how happy I was with the company that I used.

Bobcat Steel

No worries, bud! Just was poking around over here and figured I would offer my services!

Houston

That's fine.  I'd be happy for more companies to offer Applessed targets.

Xeyed

Really impressed by all the fancy targets here.

I guess that I need to be more imaginative.

Bought two targets from Bobcat steel and have been real happy with them and the service received.

A 4" square Target and a 16" square Target. Boring compared to the D-Targets being offered.

But functional enough for a rifleman. Nice change of pace from 1" squares.

The 4" square is great for KD at 100 yards with a 22LR LTR.  And at $10.00 plus shipping is a great deal.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Houston

All I have is square steel.  Once my latest shipment arrives I'll have 1x1, 2x2, 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, and 10x10 inch targets.  The 1, 2, 4 and 8 targets will allow me to practice for the AQT at 25 and 50 yards.   The immediate feedback of a hit is nice, but you do lose the feedback of your misses, as they don't register anywhere.  I'll use the steel 75% of the time and paper the other 25% of the time, to help refine my shooting.

shaftoe

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on December 01, 2010, 08:54:08 PM
Quote from: shaftoe on December 01, 2010, 07:59:10 PM
Any way to order the stage 1 sized target?  That would be more practical for distances around here.

We have a group buy on the stage 1s going now.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18937.msg151399;topicseen#msg151399

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the group buy is on D targets (full size) and not stage 1 targets (scaled to ~1/4 size).  The latter was what techres posted a picture of.

Aromatic

Yes, the group buy is on full size targets.  They can be used as stage 1, just need to put them at 100 yards

shaftoe

Forgive me for being unclear.

I was asking about the one in the picture techres posted.

It appears to be the same size as stage 1 of the QDAQT.  This is so it will be the same size as stage 4 at 100 yards. 

Bobcat Steel

Quote from: shaftoe on December 02, 2010, 05:20:40 PM
Forgive me for being unclear.

I was asking about the one in the picture techres posted.

It appears to be the same size as stage 1 of the QDAQT.  This is so it will be the same size as stage 4 at 100 yards. 

My mistake. I am still trying to get all the names right myself!! :wb:

I actually stock the ones that Techres posted up. As of this post I have 4 available for immediate shipment. They are still on sale, too!! $36 for the target and $11 will cover shipping on 1/2/3/4 pieces. They will fit in a USPS flat rate box and you will have in 2 or 3 days.

Feel free to email me as they are not listed on the website yet. kimball@bobcatsteel.com