Author Topic: Steel targets for Appleseed practice  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Wade

• Retired Instructor
  • Devilla TX 11/07 !,,,,,,,,42
Re: Steel targets for Appleseed practice
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 10:52:17 PM »
Thanks.

I looked at Bobcat steel, but again my club won't allow silhouette targets, well not silhouettes of people anyway.  Animals are fair game.
Tell them its not a people silhouette its a silouette of a Flesh Eatting Muntant Zombie Paratrooper Monkey.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Offline Wade

• Retired Instructor
  • Devilla TX 11/07 !,,,,,,,,42
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »
How do you mount it to the wood?

I do have to follow the lead of the RSOs at my sportsman club.

I can't wait to go shooting again, to try and find NPOA.  I also can't wait until next year to earn my Rifleman's patch.  I previously got the USAF Expert Marksman ribbon, but I honestly think that was mostly luck.  This time it will be mostly skill.
Just like I said  I set the steel on the wood 4x4's the steek bit of I beam is roughly 20 inchs by 20 inchs  an I beam this short will sit all by its self just fine  ,, and yes its getting tore up   >:D ;) but it was free.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Offline franklinfarmer

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »
FYI

Stage 1 start standing, remain standing, 10 rounds 2 minutes, one (man-sized) target at 100 yards.

Stage 2 start standing, transition to sitting with magazines prepped on the mat with 2 rounds and 8 rounds.  Upon "fire" command, transition and load the 2 round mag. 55 seconds to put 5 holes in each of two targets at 200 yards.

Stage 3 start standing, transition to prone with magazines prepped with 2 and 8 on the mat.  Upon "fire" transition and load the 2 round mag.  65 seconds to put holes 3, 3, and 4 in three targets at 300 yards.

Stage 4 start prone and remain prone.  10 rounds 5 minutes, 4 targets at 400 yards.  Holes: 2, 2, 3, and 3.

OK, IIT's, now's your chance to correct me.

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Offline 06en

• Retired Instructor
  • Coeur D'Alene 8.10 Deary 3.11
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 11:11:26 PM »
FYI

Stage 1 start standing, remain standing, 10 rounds 2 minutes, one (man-sized) target at 100 yards.

Stage 2 start standing, transition to sitting with magazines prepped on the mat with 2 rounds and 8 rounds.  Upon "fire" command, transition and load the 2 round mag. 55 seconds to put 5 holes in each of two targets at 200 yards.

Stage 3 start standing, transition to prone with magazines prepped with 2 and 8 on the mat.  Upon "fire" transition and load the 2 round mag.  65 seconds to put holes 3, 3, and 4 in three targets at 300 yards.

Stage 4 start prone and remain prone.  10 rounds 5 minutes, 4 targets at 400 yards.  Holes: 2, 2, 3, and 3.

OK, IIT's, now's your chance to correct me.

FF

Just curious, are you gonna give these shooters a preperation period? O0

Offline Aromatic

• Retired Instructor
  • TX
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 11:12:54 PM »

Offline Houston

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »
"Shooters your preparation period has ended, with 10 rounds......LOAD!"

After my wife saying "I do" and my son's babbles (he's only 6 months old) those might just be some of my favorite words.

BTW - I am going to contact gongshot to suggest that they make an Appleseed section of their online store with the targets I am having them make for me.  I will also inform them of the AQT target specifications.

Offline nodeal

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 11:35:08 PM »
For 22's, I've found that one of those ubiquitous real estate sign frames makes a really good hanger for my 8" steel plate. The frame is light, has a horizontal bar for pressing it into the ground with your foot, and the plate swinging against the frame makes for a very nice ring. I use some heavy gauge wire to suspend the plate from the hanger. It holds up great as long as you're only hitting it with 22s.

I have an AR-500 plate and I've hit it with 7.62x39, 7.62x54R steel core mil surp, 5.45x39 steel core, and regular 5.56. I was surprised find that the only thing to make significant divots was the 5.56.

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
  • And the band played on.
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 12:20:21 AM »

Techres:  how much for those D-targets?

$40 (actually $36 on sale).  Dinky tried to hurt it with .223 steel core:

I now have a cloverleaf .223 piece of core in my pocket!  The target is just fine...
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Offline shaftoe

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
How does one go about ordering these?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. --Edmund Burke

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.  --Theodore Roosevelt

Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Offline Aromatic

• Retired Instructor
  • TX
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
We have a group buy going on right now (for full size targets).  See my link a few posts up. 

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Offline Houston

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
That's the Stage 1 target?

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
  • And the band played on.
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
That's the Stage 1 target?

That's an exact size match of the standing stage AQT target.  It includes all scorable area.  It is not a full D sized target.  I was trying to show what is available right now.  We use it at Riley as at our 230 yard distance lane.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Offline shaftoe

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
Any way to order the stage 1 sized target?  That would be more practical for distances around here.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. --Edmund Burke

Offline Bobcat Steel

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »
Any way to order the stage 1 sized target?  That would be more practical for distances around here.

We have a group buy on the stage 1s going now.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18937.msg151399;topicseen#msg151399

Thanks for the kind words Josh!!

Houston - Glad you found what you needed. It was nice talking to you on your project. If there is a larger interest in that size, I would be very interested in carrying that or any other Appleseed specific targets. Just let me know and I can get to drawing!

Offline Houston

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »
Bobcat, I am not trying to pull business away from you.  I was just sharing how happy I was with the company that I used.

Offline Bobcat Steel

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 11:37:12 PM »
No worries, bud! Just was poking around over here and figured I would offer my services!

Offline Houston

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 12:48:24 AM »
That's fine.  I'd be happy for more companies to offer Applessed targets.

Offline Xeyed

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Piru 3-10
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:06 AM »
Really impressed by all the fancy targets here.

I guess that I need to be more imaginative.

Bought two targets from Bobcat steel and have been real happy with them and the service received.

A 4" square Target and a 16" square Target. Boring compared to the D-Targets being offered.

But functional enough for a rifleman. Nice change of pace from 1" squares.

The 4" square is great for KD at 100 yards with a 22LR LTR.  And at $10.00 plus shipping is a great deal.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Offline Houston

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 10:01:26 AM »
All I have is square steel.  Once my latest shipment arrives I'll have 1x1, 2x2, 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, and 10x10 inch targets.  The 1, 2, 4 and 8 targets will allow me to practice for the AQT at 25 and 50 yards.   The immediate feedback of a hit is nice, but you do lose the feedback of your misses, as they don't register anywhere.  I'll use the steel 75% of the time and paper the other 25% of the time, to help refine my shooting.

Offline shaftoe

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
Any way to order the stage 1 sized target?  That would be more practical for distances around here.

We have a group buy on the stage 1s going now.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=18937.msg151399;topicseen#msg151399

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the group buy is on D targets (full size) and not stage 1 targets (scaled to ~1/4 size).  The latter was what techres posted a picture of.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:18:26 AM by shaftoe »

Offline Aromatic

• Retired Instructor
  • TX
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »
Yes, the group buy is on full size targets.  They can be used as stage 1, just need to put them at 100 yards

Offline shaftoe

• Retired Instructor
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 05:20:40 PM »
Forgive me for being unclear.

I was asking about the one in the picture techres posted.

It appears to be the same size as stage 1 of the QDAQT.  This is so it will be the same size as stage 4 at 100 yards. 

Offline Bobcat Steel

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »
Forgive me for being unclear.

I was asking about the one in the picture techres posted.

It appears to be the same size as stage 1 of the QDAQT.  This is so it will be the same size as stage 4 at 100 yards. 

My mistake. I am still trying to get all the names right myself!! :wb:

I actually stock the ones that Techres posted up. As of this post I have 4 available for immediate shipment. They are still on sale, too!! $36 for the target and $11 will cover shipping on 1/2/3/4 pieces. They will fit in a USPS flat rate box and you will have in 2 or 3 days.

Feel free to email me as they are not listed on the website yet. kimball@bobcatsteel.com