News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR for the Hunter's Expo at Mission Covenant Church

Started by three, October 27, 2010, 02:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

three

AAR for the 14th annual Hunter's Expo at Mission Covenant Church.
     For the first time ever, Appleseed was invited to Mission Covenant Church in Poplar, WI, for their 14th annual Hunter's Expo on October 23, 2010.  We were asked to set up a booth with our people and literature to explain what the Appleseed Project was all about.  We were also asked to instruct a seminar explaining the basics of marksmanship, an obvious helping point for the hunters in attendance.
     The Hunter's Expo is an event unlike any hosted by all of the churches that I know of.  Vendors crowd the gymnasium floor (read as large high-school sized gym) sharing information and products of every kind known to hunting:  Archery products, rifles, and pistols are displayed, sold, and raffled off.  Hunting blinds are set up, and deer feed and bait products are for sale.  Taxidermists are there with rack, head, and full mounts.  Meat processors provide a variety of samples along with Expo specials on packages of their wares.   Hundreds of door prizes are given out throughout the day, and grand prizes are given out on the hour all day, some worth hundreds of dollars like the bow packages and hunting blinds a few lucky winners were able to take home this year.  Chili, Sloppy Joes, and hot dogs are served all day along with juice, milk, and coffee to satisfy the appetites of all who attend.  The greatest part about the Expo:  it's free.  There are no entry fees for vendors or attendees.  The seminars, the food prepared right there in the commercial kitchen, the tickets for the hundreds of prizes; they are all freely provided by Mission Covenant Church every year.
     We of Appleseed had a corner booth on the busiest sections of the walkways:  On one side was the gallery of mounts brought by taxidermists and private collectors including a moose head mount, a few elk, full-mount cougar and bobcat, and close to one hundred deer head and antler mounts.  On our other side were the kitchen and the lunch line which stretched through the doors to the fellowship hall.  Every one of the over one thousand visitors walked past the Appleseed Project booth, and it often felt like we talked to all of them!  We had 6 different rifles on display:  3 variations of the Ruger 10/22 from stock to heavily modified, a brand new AR15 custom built by RussellMN, a Savage Model 12 .204 Ruger painted in true-fire, and my brand-new-to-me 1942 Mosin-Nagant 91/30.  The rifles were to give examples of what people might see on the line at an Appleseed, and so they wouldn't have the misconception that they need to have a special rifle for target shooting.  Hundreds of questions all day came at us ranging from "What the heck is an Appleseed?!" to "Can we really bring our AK/SKS/AR15/Mosin, etc. to the line?"  We had grandparents, fathers and mothers with their children, teens, and young adults stopping by to check us out.  We didn't keep track, but gave out roughly 500 brochures and bi-fold rifleman business cards.  Many told us they'd see us on the line.
     The seminars went well.  When we got there, Pastor Steve Cornelius informed me we would be instructing two seminars, not just one.  We spoke on the 3 unsupported positions, sling usage, and the six steps to firing the shot.  The first went well, with enough questions to make me have to cut the teaching short.  The second went even better, more attendees including women and children.  I could see many eyes light up when I went through the litany of who may attend an Appleseed at no cost!   Though I had to cut it out of the first seminar, I spoke in the second on IMC, and how it can be used to sight in their deer rifles.  I concluded both seminars with a short speech on the real reason for the Appleseed Project:  our American Heritage.
     Thank you to everyone for the wonderful work!  Sparks1, RussellMN, and Taylor:  your help was invaluable.  Sparks1 and RussellMN, you both were a great help in the seminars.  Taylor, thank you very much for manning the booth almost all day, often by yourself!  You set the Expo attendees at ease and made the booth very welcoming to all. 
     Pastor Steve and Mission Covenant Church, thank you so much for inviting the Appleseed Project to the Hunter's Expo!  We had a terrific time conversing with everyone there, and sharing our knowledge in the seminars.  We hope to come back next year and make Appleseed a regular booth from now on.
God bless all of you, and we'll see you on the line!
three
:---
Collosians 3:23 "Whatever you do, do it with all your heart.  Do it for the Lord, and not for man."

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]