News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Bedford Indiana, Oct 16-17 2011

Started by yellowhousejake, October 18, 2010, 06:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Another memorable shoot at the Childers Farm. Chilidogs wonderful wife again provided good eats (fried chicken!) and hot coffee in the mornings.

We had a bunch of new shooters this time around, but lots of great improvement. Jacey went from never shooting to a few points (one shot) from a Rifleman score. We had lever guns, bolt actions, factory sights, all shooting very well. I saw improvement all across the firing line. A great bunch of Americans to spend the weekend with, and beautiful scenery to share great weather with as well.

I got my best compliment this weekend when I heard someone say "Yellowhouse, tell us another story...". I did better and had SPQR give his wonderful DOM.

And finally, we DID make a rifleman. Unfortunately I did not check the scoring on all targets and Kevin had a 214 on his last AQT. The scores were checked and corrected, but not re-totaled. I cannot express my sadness that I did not get to present him with a patch and post the picture here. he will get his patch, and his picture, and I WILL post here when I can.

Great job Kevin, with a bolt action no less.

Thank you all for coming out and sharing the weekend with us, and thank you Bedford Contingent for a wonderful place to enjoy our freedoms.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

TBE

I had a great time.   

Thanks to the Childers family for their superb hospitality! 

We had excellent shooters in a lovely setting.  We saw real improvement in the shooters. 

I have a suggestion for anyone mourning the death of the American way of life and the disappearance of real community.  Get to Childers Farm for a shoot!

Thank you to all of the shooters and those who came out to watch.  You were all safe, courteous and showed real desire to learn.   

And Kevin, that' just icing on the cake!  Good job!

Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

Jeremiah Johnson

My family and I had a WONDERFUL time.  I've been shooting all my life and so has my son, but my wife's only been shooting a little while.  One of the main reasons for our attendance was to get my wife a chance to learn from someone else and gain confidence and that she did, thanks to the top knotch instruction.  For myself and my son - never too old to learn - that was our attitude coming in and going out.  We learned a great deal and all of our shooting improved.

I loved the shooting, but I have to admit the history is one of the attractions I was really anticipating and I was not disappointed.  History is not a stack of dates and faceless names, it's real people, real lives, real risk, real decisions - real stories and most of all it's the truth - what really happened.  What do we know for sure?  Thanks to this weekend I now have a much clearer picture of the beginning of our beloved liberty.  My son is in high school and does not like history - Yellow and SPQR held his attention.  He's still talking about new heros and real men.  He's a football player and understands loyalty, honor, courage and a spirited fight.  He and I both LOVED the stories...our stories.

Thanks to the Childers - we will be shooting with you again!  Thanks to everyone involved.  The food and hospitality were second to none.
"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools."  Thucydides

GTI

A great time again.  Thanks to the Bedford Contingent.  Also, thanks to the instructor staff, Yellowhouse Jake, TBE and SPQR.  Huff, your story telling was great. 

SPQR

Here we are in the United States, at loggerheads with apathy, indolence, and supineness so readily employed by the surging mass of modernity.  What do we do?  How do we respond?  Should we allow the chains of laziness to rest ever so slightly upon us?  Not hardly.  Instead we gathered at Childers Farm yet again, remaking ourselves into the image of the future our Founders hoped to forge. 

What a wonderful time.  I had a ball and hope all the excellent shooters did as well.  We witnessed such dramatic changes and improvement.  We had an excellent group of young shooters who engaged their abilities with wonderful aplomb and give great promise to future generations.

Bedford seems to be in possession of some very good bolt action and lever action shooters if these seeds are any measuring stick.  Great perseverance and great job.

I would also like to add that Chilidog Childers is one of the finest Americans I have ever encountered.  That right there is one heckuva guy and a heckuva host.  What do we have when we shoot at Childers Farm?  We have beautiful country, mowed grass, Great shoot boxes, kind folk, CHILI ON SATURDAY AND FRIED CHICKEN ON SUNDAY!  YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!  How can anyone be as welcoming and hardworking and hospitable as these Bedford Contingent guys?!  I arrived on Saturday morning thinking, "This will be a good shoot, just like the last one."  How is it possible these things get better?  I guess when you put Blue Hats like that on it they just do.     
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Niecie

We could not have asked for a more beautiful weekend to get together with so many great Americans. Young and older, men, women, youth, and most impressive, families. A great turn out at such a beautiful place!

Very special thanks to our host, Chilidog, and his wonderful wife, Denisa. We are getting spoiled at this range  :) Fantastic meals and unmatched hospitality. Thank you both.

Additional thanks to Rod and Chilidog for their amazing contributions as blue hats. We are all grateful and appreciate all you do.

Instructors...well I might be a tiny bit biased, but I think there are out of this world fantastic!

Here are some photos from Saturday. I will post Sunday's photos later.

Niecie

GOOD MORNING SHOOTERS!!

Eager anticipation...

Finally getting to pull the trigger...

TBE calling the line on a beautiful Fall morning.

Our fantastic host and blue hat, Chili Dog, watches closely...

Oreo cannot get enough. Curiosity is a great thing!

JC - taking it all in...

Rod was amazing helping Garret all day.

YellowhouseJake gives First Strike...

TBE "Outhouse that way. Shoot that way."

Lots of great improvement throughout the day. Everyone seemed to enjoy the instruction and the history.

Garret received his Youth patch. Congratulations, Garret!

Oreo - what a poser. A fantastic young man to work with, too.

A wonderful, beautiful day! As we were leaving the range tired and beat, we passed this great flag and were all reminded of the lessons we learned through out the day about sacrifice, bravery, and honor.

MendicantMonkey

O0
Mrs. Chilidog makes a superb lunch.  The range setup was great.  I had a great time.

I probably should have worn sunscreen.  ;)

Uncle Sam just needs to remember he's in a legally binding relationship with Lady Liberty.

Niecie

OUCH! Sorry you got a bit of a burn MendicantMonkey. I am glad you had a good time in spite of it. Yeah... sunscreen is a necessity, especially on beautiful weekends like we just had  :)

MendicantMonkey taking his sweet time in the sun :)

Here are some more photos from Sunday.

Sighting in with Jeff and Casey. They think someone is trying to help their targets with some additional shots...

Here is the solution  ;) Good job Mark!!

It is cool that no one leaves as strangers.

Next up, Ball and Dummy...

Starting the AQT Grind...

What an awesome group!! And an awesome weekend! O0

Thank you to all that came out to volunteer, instruct, observe, learn, and shoot! See you soon,

Niecie

Chilidog

What a great time I had at my first Appleseed under a Blue Hat! There is a lot of work out there and we need more help! If your looking for a way to help and don't have the ability to commit the time to a IIT, Blue hat is the way to go. You have the opportunity to ease the burden off those IIT's and Range Boss's so they can put more time in the actual training of the shooters and as a bonus, here and there, get to try it out yourself. I really enjoyed myself this weekend. Where else in this country can a person invest in their fellow Americans any better way than at an Appleseed. Teaching and training several generations American honor and safe rifle handling. Where else can a first time shooter learn a skill that many are afraid to even approach because of misinformation about guns and safety. This program works! This program instills heritage! All of us need to put something into this program to save our nation from this apathy that is running rampant! Volenter, Join the RWVA for 20.00, Order a hat, wear your T-Shirt, Get some pamphlets from one of us that have a pile and lets get the word out! It's time to stop waiting for the government or some politician to do it for us we each need to get involved in America some way! Thanks to all the folks who made this shoot possible. Just like Ed Bay who went for a bag of ice it was nothing to him but to all us who drank out of the cooler and to me since I didn't have to leave the shoot to go get it, That was a big help. Or my wife who says the food was not that much trouble. Wow! That is an understatement! We all had enough to eat and did not have to go anywhere to get food so we got done sooner with lunch and had such a good time fellowshiping with our fellow Americans while we ate. All these small things that when we do them, we think that it does not matter but ask people like Garret if he enjoyed Rod helping him all day or Jacey if she enjoyed shooting TBE's AR after he talked her into shooting it. They often seem like nothing when we do it but to the person receiving they gain so much from the gift. The gift of sharing what we have great or small with them. Just like the Dangerous Old Men they did not at the time think their contribution to the war was great, at the time, but now we know what they gave was great. Good job to all at the shoot you did great! I am proud to have spent the weekend with you all.
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

SPQR

HUZZAH CHILIDOG!  Well said, and even better, WELL DONE!  I would like to extend a personal thanks to the yeoman's work Rod did with our youngest shooter on Saturday.  That was a magnificent job and reflective of the job you had done helping your mother at the previous shoot.   O0
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

AuntieBellum

chilidog, lookin' good in that blue hat!  You and Rod are certainly off to a fantastic start!  Thanks for your hard work and your dedication to the program!  And Niecie, great pics, as always, and great job recruiting other great blue hats!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

GTI

Any of you guys ever been to a bowling pin match?  It should would be fun to do one with pins set on tables at 25 yards.  The idea is 5 bowling pins on two different tables at 25 yards.  Two people on the line.  First one to knock all 5 pins off wins.  Secret, you have to hit the top of the pins because a shot to the body with a .22 will not move a bowling pin. 

JD

I apologize that I'm a little late with praise, but Yellowhat, Mrs. Yellowhat, the gracious Childers family, my hat's off to you for such a wonderful time O0  I actually had to do the genuine Army Qualification test today and it reminded me of what I learned from you all. I can say I shot expert with pride and I would not have come close without your very excellent instruction and company.  Ed, this is a wonderful team you have on your hands and they tell me they learned some of what they now teach others from you Sir. I'll be back as soon as I can to take another crack at that patch and listen to the wonderful stories!

Thank you so much, JD

hawkhavn

JD,

Same here, if I hadn't been OCONUS, I would have been nowhere else but Bedford, IN that weekend.  Great hosts, great Instructor team and Hoosiers to shoot with.  Does.not.get.any.better.

Indiana has a great team both on the line and behind it, glad it paid off for you so soon.  We all learn from each other every time we go out. No exceptions.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Chilidog

Bedford Contingent will host a 4 hour appleseed on 11/13 from 12-4. No instruction just AQT's to make Rifleman patches. Anyone posting Rifleman will get their patch and sign the BOMB! No range fee, food or sign up. Just show up! Happy shooting!
Chilidog
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

Niecie

So sorry I can't be there :( We must seventh step here, but I will be thinking about you all! I do hope you will do it again, though. I want to sign the bomb - again!

Enjoy

Niecie