News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

October 9th @ Banner

Started by s.wilburn@sbcglobal.net, October 14, 2010, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.wilburn@sbcglobal.net

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition !"  It was a fabulous weekend !! Thanks to great and patient instructors. When I come in from the range...I always tell Jana: "results were inconclusive...more testing is needed !" And she just rolls her one good eye at me again. :D     I will come again ! A score of 7o is pathetic, so I will have to run off targets and practice before I waste to much powder. Banner is perfect for my location.  But to even see those little lousy 400 yard redcoats, I will need to put a scope on the "new" Ruger. I can't tell yet if henschmen got the better deal or me. Anyway, what are your suggestions for a scope base and a small scope ?   :cool2:

K98Al

Get bases that will keep the scope low. (close to the rifle) A low-power scope is best, if you get one with lots of magnification it you will have a tougher time. A lot of folks have 3X9, I tell them to turn it down as far as they can.

As far as brands, any brand made in the USA is a good choice.

You may want to find out which ammo is best for that rifle, I bet Hensch can tell you what it likes.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

oldgrunt

Hey I wanted that bolt gun ......LOL but I will get to shoot it too ..And if you everr miss it I guess you have to come back to the appleseed..We will be shooting it for sure..The challenge of a bolt gun on a AQT is something we all want to say we did..But I think it was Remington that the ruger will shoot .....And you did get a great deal thats a LTR with tech sights ..He did you a favor so enjoy the rifle ..Come back sometime we will teach you how to shoot it very well...

I had a ball watching you the first day with that rifle you did do a great job fighting pass the issues of the sling but you got it ...seeya nexttime
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

Scarecrow

I like this setup for the 10/22.
Ncstar quick detach scope that looks like a reddot sight has good eye relief and Christie stock.
Ncstar not expensive at CheaperthanDirt or Midway or OpticsPlanet.

henschman

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!

Here is a list of scope mounts:  http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=10&categoryId=14131&categoryString=657***8705***11686***14105***  
I recommend the picatinny mounts, since they allow for a little more solid mounting.  I would also recommend a model that has mounting slots all the way down the mount instead of just in a couple places... you will want to be able to get your rings in the right place for optimal eye relief.

You want a scope that is nice and short, to avoid eye relief issues, and you want to mount it on some low rings so you don't have to build up your cheek rest.  Fixed power scopes tend to be the shortest, but a variable that can turn down to less than 4x is fine if you can get good eye relief.  The struggle is usually to get your scope far enough forward for good eye relief in the prone position.

For the 25m AQT course of fire, I think the optimal magnification is right around 2.5x.  That gives you just enough magnification to overcome poor eyesight, but not so much magnification that you see a lot of "wobble," which leads to fussing the shot.  You really couldn't do a whole lot better than this scope right here:  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=111503That and some low rings would be a great setup.  I'm thinking about putting that scope on my scoped 10/22, instead of the fixed 4x BSA that's on there.  

For those that don't know, Mr. Wilburn and I traded rifles at the Appleseed -- my modified 10/22 LTR for his CZ-452 bolt action .22.  I haven't shot the CZ yet... I'm planning on doing it this weekend.  I have dry fired it a lot though, and I really like how it feels.

If you look at what both of those rifles cost, and considering the extra stuff mine came with, I don't think either one of us got hurt.  I heard you talking to Al about trading for it, and that got me thinking... Tech Sights just came out with a model for the CZ, and I've always kinda liked them.  Kinda like OG said, I'm gonna make a bolt-action LTR out of it.  I bet it will shoot some mean groups with some Aguila standard velocity.

Oh, and if you want some AQT targets to practice on, you can download them here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9833.0

Happy shooting!  BTW, if you want to get rid of those Tech Sights, I bet somebody would buy them in the "deals and steals" section for enough to pay for your new scope.  

See ya,

Daniel

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

henschman

BTW, if you want the factory front sight for that rifle, I still have it.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."

s.wilburn@sbcglobal.net

Yes, thank you.   

Steve Wilburn
511 North 6th Street
Madill, Oklahoma 73446

Thanks !

s.wilburn@sbcglobal.net

Daniel, check that leather sling and see if there are two keepers ( small loops ). If there is only one..... does it have two tiny longitudinal grooves around it and two brass colored rivits ? I found an extra to send you if I had your address.

Steve

henschman

I don't think the sling came with any keepers.  I noticed that when I started looking at the instructions you gave me.  Sure, send it on over!  My address is:

Daniel Hensch
1005 S. McDonald St.
Stillwater, OK

s.wilburn@sbcglobal.net

Thanks Daniel,  everything is good ! I am anxious to know how you like the CZ. When you get time to wring it out.

henschman

I finally got to shoot the CZ last weekend, at Tri City Gun Club... they just agreed to host an Appleseed, and some of us went out to inspect and test drive the facilities.  I really liked the rifle.  Unfortunately, I left the mags behind, so I had to single load, but it was still a pleasure to shoot.  It has a really great trigger.  How are you liking the 10/22? 

s.wilburn@sbcglobal.net

I bought and installed a very low scope mount, reinstalled the factory front sight. Bought and installed a 4x BSA scope that is very short in length. Ordered a ATI Fiberforce stock for Jana to give me for Christ's birthday. Am experimenting with different ammo brands.   All in all ...... having a blast !!!!!!!!! ^:)^ I wish Christmas would hurry up.  :D  Any ideas on the next few clinics ?

oldgrunt

I had many ask if we can set something up at banner..Well I'll see about setting it up for next month..If anyone wants to help out call fred or stop by and let him know we plan to be there .Its already plenty cold out for it to be a Winterseed event..So if you would like lets RSVP this event on here ..I'll get it list on evenbrite..This will be a full weekend shoot..Both days If you think were just shooting AQT's well think again ..Let us know if the interst is there..this will be based on the 2011 cost 10 for ladies and 5 for kids ..look for more to follow in the coming days..I think it will be no later than feb....for sure

Any IIT or redhats looking to promote have your PC's in hand ..We need shootbosses and redhats for the next years events plan is to run multi shoots on same weekend so we need the redhats to run them ...the evenbrite site will show more shoots each month for 2011 seeya soon and start tellin the masses that we are ready for 50 slot lines ..and many more know distance shoots around the state...thanks..OLDGRUNT out....
                                         Iron Mike

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

oktx

oldgrunt

Harry sounds better lol ..I dont have my notes in the jeep...Im sittin on  the river while trackin down contacts...but Im callin around. one thing can we get a snowplower??I hope to have some if were realy goin to winterseed..lol look for more soon.
                                         Iron Mike

THOMAS PAINE