News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Racine Oct 2-3, 2010 Kicks off Winterseeds with style!

Started by Old Glory!, October 03, 2010, 09:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

It was chilly, but in true Wisconsin style some great Americans came out and persevered through the day.  Even some visitors from Florida. :o O0

Clouds are breaking up, and it's going to be another great day at Appleseed.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

sparks1

Okay...just want to ask what constitutes "Winterseed" technically??? It's FALL here in Minnesota, leaves are turning, first frost last night. But winter...hardly.

Of course for you southern Wi. folk it may seem like it.  **) **) **)  Wait for the Duluth AAR, I'm sure Aftermath and cadre had a wee of a time camping.

Congratulations on a good event ...hope to read more about it later this week. AND I don't want to hear that the long johns came out !  !@#)  It is just crisp not cold.

Okay, okay...I was having some fun here with the weather. I had to jump back in and clarify because I have gotten a PM and now this by EEL. If this needs to be deleted to focus on the AAR then Moderator do your thing. Thanks
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

EEL

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Mogget

Whhhhaaaaa.....!!!!!  EEL and sparks1 are spying on us, again, Fred!      >:(

;D

Seriously, WinterSeed kicks off 1 Nov and runs through March.  But to get the patch you have to convince the shoot boss that the weather really, really, sucks, enough to warrant  awarding that cool new patch that will start to ship in shoot boxes after the middle of October...

Mogs

Deacon

Hi Everyone!
Another great shoot in Wisconsin.  

Thanks to all the great shooters who braved the wind and cold and worked hard all weekend at learning about marksmanship and their Heritage!

We even had a visiting shooter from Florida who did really well!  He didn't let the cold and wind distract him....he even was wearing shorts!  Yes, he had a Florida Gators wind-shirt but made up for it by wearing a Packers cap!

Thanks to our out-of-state instructors.  Cooper made the long drive from Minnesota and worked very hard with he shooters.  She has really gotten a great start on the Appleseed Trail!  Patriot Gal and Castle Mountain drove up from middle Illinois and they kept the reputation for hard-working Illinois Instructors! :bow:

Congrats to Patriot Gal on the new RED HAT!  Well deserved!  

Attached is a picture of Jackie the dog.  She has her own pair of ear muffs.  She is a well behaved and smart little dog!

Thanks again to all the hard working shooters.  I hope to see you at more shoots!

Deacon
WI State Coordinator

Strong

I had lots of fun.

I was glad to see that the weather did not disappoint. This is my fourth appleseed and it had rained at every single one. This time it was 42 degrees with a light misting rain. Nothing much but God help us if it had been hard rain. It warmed up quite a bit later on in the day.

I really appreciated all the high quality instruction (as always) and meeting so many new people.

Congrats to Patriot Gal on the new red hat and to Old Glory on her Full Distance patch. Congrats also to our two new riflemen (Deano and ???:bow:

I took about four or five pics but will have to post them later after I get them transferred to my computer. Here is one I did. The prone figure is Jake, one of the children who shot (well!)

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

dragonfly

Quote from: EEL on October 03, 2010, 05:46:49 PM
I thought Fred said anything after Nov 1  #)

Yes, and isn't today Nov. 3rd.  ^:)^  So whats the problem.

D-fly  Having a little fun.
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

colycat

This was a very good weekend for me.  We were way over staffed with instructors, but they all worked really hard.  It was impossible at times to get to help any students, as there was always an instructor with them.  There is such a thing of over staffed events.  But this bodes  well for next year, when we will double our shoots in WI.  To 60 something?

Really some great stuff happened at this shoot.  We got a new Red Hat Instructor (Patroit Gal, OK she is IL)  We moved up a number of IIT's  Endpoint, Castle mountain, Cooper.

I believe everyone who attended got the message, and all had had great time.  But ,We all missed the big game.  (packers)

100 % return rate, despite the really crappy weather.

And OG scores 213 at full distance with her very standard M16, open sites and mil. standard ball ammo.  Way to go grandma. :bow:  BTW, 200 is Rifleman score,
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Missouri Brigade

JoeZ

Hello all,

Well done to the shooters, especially the riflemen. Thanks to all the instructors and especially those who helped out my son Freddy.

I would like to add that this was a special weekend for a few WI families who were part of this shoot. BrendaZ and I officially became grandparents in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Another WI family gained a full distance riflegrandma and even a new member just days ago. Trisha had a baby just days ago and Ahhshoot was still on the line this weekend. Before you think I'm picking on him consider this. First, I did the same in March when BrendaZ had our latest edition. BrendaZ also made for Trisha a Hannah Davis commemorative patch. For all those who help out with and at Appleseed you are most welcome and we readily recognize this, but sometimes God calls women to a higher cause and we love them for it. I say higher because I dare say that Hannah Davis and those four children were the reason Isaac marched to war that day. He was no hen picked man and she was no high maintenance woman. The colonists' gripes with Parliment and the Crown justified his action, but remember she's the one who described his actions that day as his duty. Hannah Davis lived her everyday seemingly nondescript life so well that 230 some years later we not only salute her but pray to be in some measure like her. In her we recognize the promise of the future and posterity so highly spoken of by many of the founders. Therefore I can say that I look behind for direction but I look forward for motivation.

Thank you for your time,
JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

Gumballhead

I'm finding myself up NORT' so much, I'm beginning to wonder if I can get dual residency?  ^-^?? 

Seriously though, this was a great shoot.  I always enjoy myself at Racine, nice club, helpful members, and fantastic shooters!  :--- :---.  In addition, we even got lucky, and found DOM could make it!  ^:)^ ^:)^  His new job keeps him begrudgingly off the trail, and it was great to have him on the line again, even if it was for just one day.

Congratulations are in order for our newest RED hat!!  Patriot Gal, you've worked hard, and I'm sure the larger bucket will be a great fit for you! 

Seems this was the week for new riflemen all over.  A big congratulation to our Ahhshoot and Trisha with the welcome addition of Molly, and to JoeZ (Grandpa again!).

Congrats to our new riflemen too!  Dean and Bryan - you guys braved some challenging conditions, and persevered.  Well done!  O0.  Strong, glad to see you again on the line.  Keep at it, you're very close!

Saturday was a busy day, filled with healthy gulps from the Appleseed fire hose.  Our students took well to the instruction, and applied it effectively each course of fire.  Groups began to shrink, and I could see it beginning to come together for our shooters.  We had new shooters, experienced shooters, and even visiting shooters!  Such a great time!  We managed to shoot one AQT on Saturday, before wrapping things up for the day. 

On Sunday, we were greeted by our returning shooters, eager to get things started.  After a review of the safety rules, Steady Hold Factors, how to find our NPOA, and the 6 Steps to firing the shot, we posted our first of many AQT's.  Before we knew it, the sun was high in the sky, and it was time for lunch.  Ahhshoot told the story of the third strike of the match, and then we took 7!  ^:)^ shooters (5 of them students) over to 600 yards for some Known Distance instruction.  We confirmed our zero at 200 yards, and once everyone was satisfied, we moved up to 100 yards, and began shooting our Full Distance AQT.  EVERYONE did a great job.  The confirmation that what we learn at 25 yards applies to Full Distance was quickly realized.  After posting some impressive scores (CONGRATS OG!!! ..:..), we headed back over the 25 yard range to close things up for the weekend.

I'm already looking forward to coming back again in November.

Thanks again to all of our students, YOU are the reason this program is able to achieve success.

Patriot Gal

What a wonderful weekend with a wonderful group of people, instructors and students alike!

Congrats to our new Riflemen (and grandma) Bryan, Deano and Old Glory!!!  Well done, well done!!!! Bryan, you learned something about yourself and perseverence, I believe.  Deano, you worked so hard but still were surprised to learn you had shot Rifleman.  That was a great surprise for you, I'm sure!  Next time we'll see Claudia receive her Rifleman patch!!!  OG, I'm proud to have you as a sister instructor.  Great job on shooting full distance and for all you did to make this weekend a success!!   :bow: :bow: :bow:

Speaking of great job!  You all keep a secret very well.  I was so taken by surprise when I realized Ahhshoot was setting up his speech to present me with a red hat!!  %)  You know, his humor can be so subtle that the message kind of sneaks up on a person and it certainly did so with me at that moment.  :o  Thank you Ahhshoot, I was proud to take my red hat from you.  If I remember correctly, you got your green hat at my first shoot as an IIT in Ottawa last October!!  You are a great shoot boss and we (CM and I) are glad to work under your direction anytime!! :bow:

Further congratuations go out to Ahhshoot and Trisha, and the whole Bries family on the birth of their sweet baby girl, Molly, and to Joe and BrendaZ on the birth of their first grandchild.  What a special time for all!!   :) ;) :) ;)

It was inspiring to watch a well oiled team get to work over the two days and it was rewarding to work with a line of shooters who listened, learned and improved their marksmanship skills over a brief two day period, you are all to be commended for your commitment!!!  Congrats to Haley, Jake and Freddy on their Patriot Patches.  Well done, young Riflemen to be!!!  O0 O0  Congrats to the IITs who advanced up a step.  All well deserved!!

But DARN!!!!  That wind was chilly!!!!  I was going to post that, in the past, I haven't felt the need to wear gloves until later in the year, but then I remembered borrowing some little wool stretchy gloves from Trisha last Oct. in Ottawa b/c my leather ones weren't keeping my fingers warm enough.  You Wisconsin folks know how to keep warm better than we, Illinois folks do, I think.   We brought extra USGI slings, vet tape and foam for building up buttstocks, and LTRs to loan out, but didn't bring enough warm clothes!!!!!  So off we went to go shopping for gloves and sweatshirts Sat. night in Racine.  :D :o :D  Ahhh... much better! :D

Looking forward to seeing everyone back on the trail.  I'm sure Castle Mountain and I will be making more trips up to our neighbors in the "NORT"!..

Thanks for all you do for Appleseed!
Patriot Gal    :---
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

EEL

Congratulations are indeed in order for P. Gal!!  Y'all know here in the Great Lakes Region that IITs progress at a slower rate.  That is done on purpose and has worked very well.  They are so versed, practiced, and experienced that by the time we run the Instructor PC past them.....it's a breeze.

In fact, once the hat changes from orange to red.......they're prctically ready for some SBIT  ;)  Kidding P. Gal.  You know we'll let that red fade just a bit before we start you down the trail. 

Enjoy it.  You've earned it.  Soak it in.

Thanks for all you've done and continue to do for the program.  O0 @)
EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Pappy

Hello Group; Congrats to Patriot Gal, You have come far.. Were glad to have you.. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

Strong

Here are more of the pictures I promised. I wish they were better examples of photography.

SkyHawk

Congratulations to Patriot Gal!!!  Way to go! 

Skyhawk
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations Patriot Gal ^5
Looks like a really good AS
Nice shooting OG  8) any tips for us men for KD ;D

JoeZ ,Thank You for your post on Hanna Davis and all it encompassed ,it touched me profoundly.
BTW--Wall Street Journal had a nice review of a book written about Hannah Davis and her comments concerning Isaac Davis and his willingness to go.Coincidently the WSJ published this on 4-19-2010 :o
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

ahhshoot

...What a weekend.
Persevering posterity, Men and a woman who know very well what they are about, IITs that will pour blood, sweat, and tears on the line for the shooters, and one woman who has earned, in every way to become an RWVA INSTRUCTOR.

Thank you shooters that said to heck with the football match ??? and made the choice to do something important with YOUR weekend. You had a lot of reasons to stay home.
Congratulations to the Riflemen!
I would also like to thank all of my instructors, you folks worked like crazy! :--- :---
The past is only the future with the lights on.

AFTERMATH

Winterseed? ???
You all make it sound like you were Seedin' in Minnesota! :cool2:

If the hot and balmy, 'Rivierra of the North' had a Winterseed this weekend; does that make a location 20 mi north of Duluth, MN an ArcticSeed? ++)
I did wake up to notice my tent was snowing on me....  But the bonus of this weekend was....  Even with my $10 cooler; 2 bags of ice lasted all weekend!  Still 3/4 full, when I through them out tonight!

Anyway.....

Congratulations Patriot Girl!!!
Your service to the cause, warrants more than a mere hat as recognition!
Welcome to the Ranks of the Red Hat Club!

Old Glory, great job on the KD!  It's just the same as the regular one, isn't it?

Good job all!

I'd better head back to Minnesota now!

Aftermath

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

colycat

We had almost 20 students, all with internet access.  Lets him from some, if not all about their weekend!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Patriot Gal

Thank you all for the congrats!

You know, nothing that I do in AS is original.  I learned it all from you all!!!  O0 

So I wear this red hat with honor to those who have led the way.  Thank you.

Now!  Osage Beach and KD, here we come!!!!

Thanks (everybody) for all YOU do for AS!!!  O0 :bow:

And, as always, Thank you, Fred for making this your life's mission and for letting us come along for the ride. 
It's a great ride.

Patriot Gal

Yes, let's hear from the students!!!!
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Old Glory!

Okay, okay, it's not officially a winterseed, but it sure felt like it. $$-0   A good test of equipment, gear and stick-to-i-tive-ness.  Everyone persevered, and returned for more on Sunday.

Jake had most of the answers to all the questions asked!  O0  Grandpa, you can be very proud of your grandson.  VERY safe, good shooting foundation, and fun to talk with! 

Haley, excellent safe handling of the rifle and good positions and trigger control.   Keep practicing and come back again with your grandpa.  Bring your mom too.  You can help Appleseed double!   ^-^

UNCLE Fred!  Congratulations on being an uncle.  You are going to be a fine mentor for Oliver.  You can begin by whispering the 6 steps to firing the shot in his ears. ;)   He is going to look up to you and listen to EVERYTHING you say to him.  May as well tell him the important information. 

Ana Maria, thanks for coming.  I know you learned a lot this weekend.   Please write and tell us about Appleseed from your perspective.   

Felicia, the record-keeper.  Good to see someone who keeps a notebook about their rifle and specific ammunition.  Your rifle is a WORK-OUT!  :P :)  I'll be interested to see that carrying case you talked about sewing up.  Sounds practical. 

Sue, Check out Circus City Sportsmans Club or Winnequah Gun Club to practice those new skills you mentioned you needed to keep up.   Your groups were good right from the start, and after your sight adjustments it was no surprise to see you right in the silhouettes on stage 4.   ^:)^  Jump in here and tell us what you thought of the weekend.

Claudia, your determination is admirable.  Thanks for coming out, missing your work class, and making Appleseed a priority.   You are gonna be an excellent instructor.   :o ;) :)

Over on the KD range

John, Thanks for coming!  As soon as you get the okay from your doc, let's go shooting.  Hey, standing should be no problem, right?  ;)

Students, persevere, come back to Racine and have a chance to go over to full distance.   IT IS SO MUCH FUN!   Thanks for BrendaZ for your commitment to God, family and country.   I appreciate the Full Distance Rifleman patch you created.   But the "Take Good Care of the Children Patch" just brings tears to my eyes.  You have all given me so much to think about and be thankful for. 

Let's hear from some of the students.  Your turn to chime in and tell us your thoughts.

p.s.    Aftermath, Yes, you are right, the targets look the same on KD.  I have a really hard time seeing stage 4 (either at 25 or 400 yards  $$-0).  Course, I have to keep reminding myself, you don't need to see the target; just keep that crisp front sight on the same spot on the blurry target.
BTW, who needs a cooler?! Just keep your lunch in your tent.  >:D 

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AFTERMATH

QuoteBTW, who needs a cooler?! Just keep your lunch in your tent.
Well, I didn't want it to freeze.... %)

Excellent pictures!  I'm gonna have to get my camera workin' again!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

AK

Congratulations Patriot Gal!  Shooter and I hope to see you soon.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

TruTenacity

Looks and sounds like a great event all around.

Congratulations Patriot Gal!

Nice Hannah Davis Patch folks!

Terrific KD Patch!

TruT
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Patriot Gal

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

TheEditor

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Cooper

Sorry for the delay in posting these.  I returned home to find my 14 year-old cat and closest confidant dead in my late friend's bedroom.  Looks like he curled up for a nap in the midday sun and never woke up.  So now it's just Rifledog Jackie and I along with the sheep on the orchard.

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Old Squid

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, but I have been busy since the A.S. shoot. Haley and I had fun and learned allot.  Thank you all for the great instruction from all the instructors, you are some great pepole.  I am proud to be associated with great Americans like you, this country needs more people like you.  Haley learned so much about firearm safety,marksmanship and she loved the history and heritage.  A big Thank you to Castle Mountain for all the individual attention you gave Haley, she really enjoyed learning from you.  You guys managed to wear the poor girl out she slept all the way home both days. This for me was my second AS, I was there in May with my Daughter and I worked as a club member with you in July.  I learned a few things just listening that day, I guess I got away with a partial free one that day :). So this time around I brought my Granddaughter. It will be a memory for both of us that will always be cherished. Sorry to say I didn't make Rifleman but I'm getting closer, and I will be back. Third time is a charm, right?  Congrats Old Glory, enjoyed our ride to and from the 600 yard range and really enjoyed talking with you. OG you are a great inspiration, as all of the instructors there that I met. So we will see you next time, hopefully with Haley (Granddaughter), Jessica (Daughter) and if I can persuade a few others to come, some new faces.  Here are a few pics I took, enjoy.....
Congrats to all of the new Rifleman as well, I know from experience it's not easy. :---

Thanks again,

Big Kahuna (aka Vic)