News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Atlanta, Indiana September 25-26, 2010

Started by Old Glory!, September 26, 2010, 12:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

An e-mail from Mary.......

My husband, 12 year old daughter and I just got done with day 1 of a two day event in Atlanta, Indiana.  I have to say I was very intimidated before we got there. None of us have experience with rifles or shooting and I was afraid that we would constantly be behind, holding things up and basically just not fitting in. I thought the instructors maybe expected us to have a reasonable amount of knowledge before we attended.

Boy was I wrong on all counts! The instructors were absolutely awesome. They were all very friendly and kind and they have the patience of saints!  They really took their time explaining things to us and helping us with areas that we struggled with. They were incredibly encouraging, light hearted and overall just great teachers. Their history lessons were any thing but dry and boring. As my husband said, "You almost want to tell them to just keep going!" everytime they stopped a story for the next portion of the class.

Everyone was very well prepared and knew what they were doing so the class stayed moving well (but there was always time for helping one of the slow folks...usually someone from our group!).  We all left the first day rating all of the instructors with a definite A+.  Absolutely fantastic.

I would strongly encourage families to give this a try. It has been a great experience and although we are bit sore from our first day shooting we are all excited to try out our new skills tomorrow.

I just wanted to drop you this note to let you know how incredible your Atlanta, IN instructor team is and to thank you for providing these opportunities to learn history and marksmanship. Thank you so much!
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

yellowhousejake

A fantastic shoot, just fantastic. A great new range, welcome to Atlanta Conservation Club and thanks for having Appleseed there.

We saw tremendous improvement in all the shooters, the instruction works, and works well. All the shooters were willing to take instruction and tried very hard to follow the six steps. It showed when the Redcoat scores of Saturday morning were replaced with AQT scores in the 160s, 180s, and 200s Sunday. There were Riflemen on the line and patches to be handed out when they return to another Appleseed, provided they practice what they learned  ~~:)

This shoot had a small group, cozy even, and it showed in how they helped, teased, and worked together. Again, it never ceases to amaze me how under rated and devalued today's youth is. When I see young Americans like Kalea and Sarah at an Appleseed I know the future, our posterity, has a fighting chance. Those young ladies were polite, eager, and wonderful to have on the line. I never tire of the kids.

Again, we had families, and that is why we are there. Thanks to the parents Owen, John, and Mary. Getting the next generation off the couch is what we need.

I will not carry on so much with this AAR as I have in the past, instead let's hear from the shooters and instructors.

I love this job...

YHJ

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Niecie

Pics from another AWESOME APPLESEED!

"Good Morning Shooters"

A wonderful surprise visit from Bill of Rights

Special thanks to our range host Mark

Rimshot working on his PC3 with YHJ

DHolder & YHJ working the line

DHolder doing what he does best!

Clive -- SO close with a 200.

Owen -- Resting between shots

Our wonderful AuntieBellum doing her Blue Hat duties

Our winning team - shot the star to smithereens!

YHJ VERY happy to give AuntieBellum her well earned Rifleman Patch.

Well deserved youth patches for Kaela and Sarah. It was such a pleasure to have them on the line  :)

Great family fun! We love to see families come out ..:..
Owen & Sarah

Kaela, John, and Mary

What a fantastic group to spend the weekend with! Thank you all!!

See ya all soon!

Niecie

AuntieBellum

In response to the goofy picture of me above (I promise I was really just that excited, although it kinda looks staged, huh?  Good thing I never fled to Hollywood to try a career in acting!), here are more pictures of the weekend.  And thank you to all of you for making this a fantastic weekend - I look forward to seeing you all back soon.  What do you say - next week?  Same time, same place?   ;D

DHolder helps our Sunday only shooter catch up:

A family of marksmen getting some one-on-one from yellowhousejake:

Chris sending some rounds toward an AQT:

55 seconds?  PLENTY of time:

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Niecie

AuntieBellum WAS that excited! And the whole group was very happy for her, too. YellowhouseJake was very glad to be the one to present her the Rifleman patch.  :D

Niecie

dragonfly

CONGRATS AuntieBellum,  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

dragonfly   Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Scarecrow

AuntieBellum scores the patch!! Right on!!  ^:)^

AuntieBellum

Thanks, everyone!  It took the patience and expertise of many, many instructors to get me there, so thank you all!

And now time for more dry-fire.   ;D  (Did you know that it actually helps?  I know, weird.  It's almost like those red hats know what they're talking about... :D).
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

DaveD

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Evenstar

Oh, I didn't see this until now... CONGRATS AUNTIEBELLUM!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Stubborn Yankee

Congratulations AuntieBellum!  I couldn't be more happy or proud (not that I am at all biased)!  By the way, thanks for helping me find my way around the forum.

Stubborn Yankee (Dad)