News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calverton Shoot this weekend ..... Sept 25-26, Tnx to all the Instructors & IITs

Started by ramit, September 25, 2010, 11:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramit

Had a "blast" Saturday... my 2nd AS shoot, and my Daughter's first..

KDan, big thanks for taking the time out and picking up on my daughters problem and fixing it ( with the make shift Check Piece), her groups started to really tighten up and she started to see the light and now feels with some more line time, earn a patch herself.

Big thanks to all the IITs, Crack, and for those that traveled out to the near end of this little island to make the shoot happen.

Tom, it was a pleasure having you as our Red hat.

See ya's Sunday...

-Bob

gunware

My son and I also had a lot of fun.  First time shooting for him.  We will hopefully be attending more Appleseed shoots soon.  Thank you very much for organizing!

Big Matt

Had a great weekend. NO RAIN! My wife and son joined me on Saturday. It was my wife's first and my son's second Appleseed. I was very proud to take the Orange Hat from KDan. Congratulations to Frank on his shooting Rifleman and taking the Hat. Also congrats to Josey Wales on his Red Hat and running the high power line this weekend. That's right; two separate firing lines, one small bore, the other high power, separated by a large berm. Thanks to Crack and Chainsaw, two out of town Red Hats, for helping make the two line shoot possible. And thanks to all the Calverton regulars; VietVet, Bravo_Juliet_Mike, ChrisO, John, Mike, John, TJ, and any others I may have missed.

ChrisO

This shoot was a great time. I really enjoyed working with the folks from out town and our new orange hats. Great job everyone!

BrokenSailor

My First AS.  I am so sore.  Oh how I ache.... :'(

I shot over 800 rounds of .308 over the two days in a standard wood and steel M1a with iron sights.  As everyone started leaving the second day due to insufficient ammo, I still had more, but was hurting too much I had to quit.  Can an AQT be done with a standard M1a with iron sights and surplus ammo.  The Pink Hat (Faded Red and 41 AS's) from MA assures me it is so and that he had done it, so I am trusting I will be able to do it myself. I will have to wait till October to see.

I didn't go with the intention of winning a patch as I did not even know about them, but I went to learn.  I had wanted to go to an AS for years.  I specifically went to learn about how to use a standard GI Sling in different configurations and shooting positions.  The Pink hat taught me everything that I wanted and more. I am sorry I forget his name. Thanks to all the AS staff for coming from all over to make it happen in my back yard.  I met some great dedicated people.  

I especially would like to wish the young man who earned his patch good luck, as he is expecting to be heading for the suck in the Afghanistan.  I know that he will go forward with marksmanship skills that will give him a leg up before he even sees boot camp. Thanks to AS for this.  He has no idea yet how much he will learn, but he has a good foundation to build on.    

I will practice, and I will be back. This time I will have some elbow and knee pads.

crak

I was the pink hat.  Appleseed lines used to be full of 30 cals shooting 210s and every American can do it. O0.   The cheaper way is probably with a 22 first, though. :)
Check your drama at the door.

ramit

Please correct me if I'm wrong (for those that know for sure),

As I understand it....
The AQT as adopted here, is as it last was with the Army and done with a Garand.
The Garand uses 8 round enblocs.. hence the "2 and 8" ... the 2 is done with either single feed or a crossed 2 in the enbloc, or now there are modified enblocs for the "2".

Stuffing/shoving the enblocs into a Garand (with out screwing up and mashing your thumb) and in a rush and then re-acquire your NPOA is rough.

Before it was modified for the Garand, it was done with the 03a3 bolt with 5 rnd stripper clips with M2ball / 30-06....

BrokenSailor

Hey Crak!  Thanks.  It was everything I expected and more.  The amount of dedication you guys have is great.  Some of what I learned is helping me in my .22LR competition with my club.  Maybe I can help pull us out of last this year. ^-^

Dakota

Had a great time again, thanks to all the guys for their help.
Congratulations to Matt and Frank, and to the new "Riflemen"!
See you in October.
"A fine marksman with a second rate rifle is far more effective than the reverse." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

How good are YOU, with YOUR rifle, Today?

"If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand"-Springfield M1 Garand owners manual

R.I.P "DAKOTA" My Buddy 1/24/01 - 6/23/12

kDan

Ramit you got it right, and just like you on the AAR, I just found this thread.  Thanks for starting this Saturday night.

Just so those of you who don't know yet, there is another thread about this shoot (and lots of pictures) here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=17172.0

ps - and congrats to dakota, as of this writing, probably AS's newest IIT!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout