News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Calverton Sept 25-26

Started by kDan, September 27, 2010, 11:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

Golly, where to start.  We had 45 shooters on Saturday, not only justifying a second firing line but making it necessary.  Luckily, we'd thought ahead and called in rare support from the mainland (just kidding, we've got plenty of friends not afraid to drive through the city, kinda).  Chainsaw (PA) and Crak (MA) (teehee, Ma and Pa) came through and ran a separate rim-fire and center-fire line respectively.  This was great.  Now that we've been given the rights to use both these two lines, let's never give them up!  Appleseeders - give 'em an inch at 25 meters, and they take a Rifleman's Quarter Mile!  As long as we have two shooters and two Red Hats at Calverton, we will have two lines.  And that brings me to the first order of business from Saturday morning - giving Josey Wales his own brand new shiny Red Hat.  I've had a few Red Hats laying around for a while now; I've even asked to stop receiving them in my shoot box, so it was a pleasure to shrink the pile a little bit.  No small accomplishment, JW - Congratulations.  Wear it as much as you can now, because it's gonna be green by xmas.  What say you and me keep trying get some those other 7,999,998 Gothamites out to Calverton?  We actually did have a few city folks on the line - certainly some brooklyn.  That makes me smile.

We've got some Orange Hats in the pipeline and some shooters stepping up to help out.  I'd like to thank Big Matt for finally taking the hat even if he only did it to shut me up.  "c'mon Matt, pleeeeeasse"  It's actually quite valuable to us to have folks that take this thing seriously enough to wait on taking the hat.  Of course, the more honest you are in understanding the possible commitment, the more we latch on like a deer tick.  Umm, never mind... I'll leave it at that.  Frank too, taking the hat, thanks Frank - more about him in a minute.  Couple more Rifleman ready to take possession of the day-glow at Calverton Octoberfest!

We accomplished a few superlatives this week-end.  If nationally then also world-wide, but certainly regionally and we are definitely developing some Calverton traditions besides rico-jays and random stray interloping 30 caliber rounds thumping into the dirt at your feet (totally unrelated, but wear your eye pro).  Let's see.  I believe this was the first Appleseed where two different firing lines were simultaneously called by one Instructor waving a cavalry saber on a berm between the two lines.  "SHOOTERS!!!"  That was fun.  Next time we'll have a horse.  Another first - how bout 150 rounds of center-fire into a pumpkin in sixty seconds?  Ever seen that before?  Myth BUSTED!  See pictures below if I can figure out how to re-size them.  Another Superlative - NYS's youngest IIT.  Frank (13), having attended 3 appleseeds with his persistent mother by his side, shot rifleman and took the cap.  Great kid - patient, attentive and listens well.  Really a pleasure to see this kind of success.  Mom had as much to do with it as junior.  This had everybody ear to ear.  One more first, you say?  Okay - how bout this.  Harry let Instructors sleep on the range!  To shooters this may not seem like much, but really helps with those of us coming from out of town or even off-island, and it's gotta be a break to VietVet, cuz I know some of these other instructors can really snore up a Nor-easter and he's been putting everybody up.  For those of you who know Harry - our host - this is just simply a wonderfully generous and welcome situation.  Except for Crak - hey buddy, just give up on those poles, put that pile of camo in my trunk and sleep in the back of your truck.  A snippet of fire-side conversation from Saturday night.  "Hey Crak, how's that tent coming?" - (then a voice from the darkened wilderness) "I got it.  It's fine."  "You need a hand?"  "Nope.  I got it.  It's fine."  "Want a flashlight."  "Nope."  This guy designs robots.

We made four Riflemen.  Congrats to Frank, Bob, John, and Eric.  Eric is deploying in November - another Rifleman patch in the sandbox.  Hoo-ah, brother.  We shot three pumpkins, and a mess of AQT's.  We had a gentleman, Paul, bring out and demonstrate the mechanics of a Brown Bess musket and bayonet.  If anybody has his contact information, please pm it to me.  I'd like to thank him again, and ask him a couple more questions.  Paul, if you're there, please reach out in some way.  Next time, bring some powder and ball and let's see what a smooth-bore musket and 75 calibers of kaboom can do to a pumpkin - or not- it's just a valuable to show how inaccurate those things are as it is to watch a pumpkin on a fence post explode.  Maybe not as much fun, but we can give you a couple shots and you can get closer if you want.  

A heads up to all.  Check your trunk, basement, garage, under the bed or wherever you put your sand filled gear when you got back last night.  Question from a shooter: "Did anyone report finding a 50 cal can of M2ball ammo at Calverton..??  Would have had  printed labels on it HXP M2 384 on it..."  That's a can of 30-06.  Let's see if we can find it.  It's very easy when grabbing gear to grab somebody else's gear by accident.  I've done it.  Heck, Chainsaw just returned my shooting shirt from when he grabbed it one of the places I've seen him in the last month.  Although I seem to have lost his boots forever...  um

And Fred, just in case you're wondering - 2 (two) shooters made it out thanks to the NY Times article, and yes, I gave them bumper stickers.  The rest came out because Appleseed is wicked awesome, and New Yorkers are Americans, believe it or not.

I'm going into my dark room now and try to re-size these photos so I can post a few.  I'm serious, they're like a full-size kd target which reminds me...  How do we get full-sized kd targets?  All the ones I took from the Ramseur shoot shed last year are with boltgun71 at Fort Drum now.  O, yeah, we may have some more action in southern New York state coming up.  Stay tuned.  Very exciting.  BG71 - phone call coming in.  I hope you got your uniform pressed.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

LAD62DER

What an awesome weekend..... So many great people so many great shooters.  I had a blast!  My first shoot as an IIT, and I was thrown right in.  I don't think I sat down for more than an hour in 2 days... Big thanks to Tom (chainsaw) and KDAN for all the help in teaching me the ropes as well as Brad (Bravo_Juliet_Mike) for answering all my silly questions when I wasn't sure what to do.  Thanks to Chris O and John for taking RSO duties for my first time calling the line.  I felt very comfortable (well maybe after an hour or so).  Another thanks to Brad and Chris for working with my Fiance while I was working the line.  She made some more great improvements and hopefully will earn her patch in October. Matt, thankfully you took your hat, otherwise I think KDAN might have cried on the way home.  FRANK, you are the man (all 13 years of you)  You are an awesome RIFLEMAN, and calling you a kid is an insult.  You are more mature than most 30 year olds I know.  It was great to see you working the line before the day was over and there's a good shot of it below!  I had a lot of fun on the Right side of the line.  I know I had a few shooters get close to the 210 but fell a little short.  October is all I have to say.  There was one shooter that started Sunday off with an 85 I believe on the AQT and ended with a 204!  SOOO close but what an improvement.  One more on the right borrowed another shooters rifle (thanks Bob it was very generous of you)  and brought his score up 30 more points and scored a 195, October is your month also!  Big smile on my face, Such an awesome weekend!!!!!!!!

Mike

LAD62DER

Pics

LAD62DER

More Pics

LAD62DER

More Pics

LAD62DER

More Pics

LAD62DER

And the last few pics.

crak

I was methodically investigating every possible incorrect method of assembling the tent.  These things take time, especially when I leave the NVGs at home.  And at least I slept in it.  :))
Check your drama at the door.

ChrisO

I was very impressed with the turnout of shooters for this event. Its great to see so many people interested in the same hobies as myself. I remember my first appleseed as a shooter way back in december of 2009. We had a 21 shooters saturday and a whopping 7 shooters on sunday. Boy has Calverton grown. Even the weather was great for this shoot!

kDan

Quote from: crak on September 27, 2010, 12:30:04 PM
And at least I slept in it.  :))

Someone had to keep watch for liver-stealing raccoons!

Here's some photos.  This is what Appleseed looks like to a Senior Instructor.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

One for the grand-kids.  "Gramma, tell me about the early days."

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

B9

Quote from: crak on September 27, 2010, 12:30:04 PM
I was methodically investigating every possible incorrect method of assembling the tent.  These things take time, especially when I leave the NVGs at home.  And at least I slept in it.  :))

Guess we now know why we still don't have robots like the Jetson's.  :'( ;D
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

VietVet

This was a HISTORY making event.
As kDan said we ran 2 lines at Calverton for the first time in history.

Thanks Crak & Chainsaw for making the trip to help the "Calverton Crew" out.
We needed you  guys and you came through.

Congrats to Josey Wales (Nick) on getting your much deserved Red Hat, way to go my brother.

We finally had great weather for the first time at Calverton for an Appleseed, that's history too.
It was a sight to see kDan on the berm between both lines shouting out the commands for the Red Coat targets both days. Dan you're lucky, we had a few Veterans on the Center Fire Line that when you first appeared thought they spotted a Taliban member. I saved your life twice! (see photo below).

As for the shooters, well, very eager to go for the Rifleman Patch. They didn't quit.
Many promised to return in October and give it another try.

Thanks to all for making this happen. It's great to see the shoots at Calverton grow larger with every event.
When I recover I'll post the photos I have from this event.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

ironshaolin

My first Appleseed event, thanks for all the great instruction!!! Josey Whales and Krac did a SUPERB job teaching on the centerfire line. I went from not hitting anything on the first day(partially due to getting the wrong frontsight on my AR, which is now being exchanged)to scoring a 192 on the AQT on the second day. I will be back in the future, to earn that Rifleman's badge.

kDan

Congratulations Riflemen!
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

Hats and other awards...

Special congrats Josey Wales on the Red Hat, and Matt on stepping up and taking the day glo, and just in time for deer season too.  We've got a shoot opening day!
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

Pumpkin Apocalypse.  We almost lost crak, but thanks to the steady hands of our shooters, the day was saved!

photo 1 - a traitor in our midst

photo 2 - "Look out Crak!  He's right behind you!"

photo 3 - Nothing left even for the raccoons.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

bravo juliet mike

Calverton range at dawn.

The rimfire line.

KDan on the lookout for redcoats.

Brown Bess demonstration.

Crak giving the third strike.

Pumkinseed!

Some shooters on the rimfire line.

KDan.

bravo juliet mike

This was an awesome shoot. Thanks to Crak and Chainsaw for making the trek out here. When kDan, Rich and I were setting up the line on Monday we had a feeling that this would be a good shoot, but we were wrong; it was a great shoot. From the large turnout to the second line and to seeing NY's youngest IIT step up was just great. To all of the red and orange hats that came out thanks! And for all of the shooters that decided to get off the couch and come out to see what we're about thank you too. We couldn't have done this without you.

Dan, could you email me a group shot and a pic of me giving Frank his patch and hat?

kDan

Quote from: bravo juliet mike on September 27, 2010, 03:53:28 PM
Dan, could you email me a group shot and a pic of me giving Frank his patch and hat?

Sure thing, but first you gotta tell me how you post pictures full size like that so you can put the funny little caption in and don't have to wait ten minutes for them to download.  I used to know how, but all this Marksmanship and History knowledge has pushed stuff like that out the window in the back of my head.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Big Matt

Had a great weekend. NO RAIN! My wife and son joined me on Saturday. It was my wife's first and my son's second Appleseed. I was very proud to take the Orange Hat from KDan. Congratulations to Frank on his shooting Rifleman and taking the Hat. Also congrats to Josey Wales on his Red Hat and running the high power line this weekend. Thanks to Crak and Chainsaw, two out of town Red Hats, for helping make the two line shoot possible. And thanks to all the Calverton regulars; VietVet, Bravo_Juliet_Mike, ChrisO, John, Mike, John, TJ, and any others I may have missed.

R1SGx2

Sweet, Good Job New York, Last two shoots, Saratoga 47 and Calverton 45, NICE.... Look at those numbers. Both with cadre running two lines. Team New York still on the move. ..:.. ..:..
Nick O0 :bow: Your a good man and will wear that Red Hat with pride...
That picture with KDan and JW, can anyone confirm they are not brothers??? :cool2:
Good Job New YorkHad a smile on my face the whole while reading the post, PROUD...
Saving the Nation. Go New York.
Even had Crak, Nice.
Thanx Team New York
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

sgtrock

Guys this is truely an Appleseed to be Proud of,,, My hat is off to you,, Job Well Done,,

Congratulations to Frank with the Orange Hat,,, I can't wait to meet you at Calverton in the near future,,, You are welcome up north here at Burlington Flats as well,,, The home of NY's Youngest Lady Instructor, at 15yrs,,,, New York is truly a Great Place to Appleseed,,,, and to be a part of a Family of Fine Americans,,,,

sgtrock

kDan

Instructors should check the IAAR for this shoot and post thoughts.

I have more photos.  Good one of Chainsaw letting on what Pennsylvanians REALLY think of New Yorkers.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Josey Wales

..Thanks to all my Appleseed Brothers and Sisters for the Congratulations on my receiving the Red Hat, It feels good to be around such fine people!! We do this together so thank you all for what you do too!!..

..Crak is the most scrumptious deliumptious rib doctor this side of the Mississippi.......and the Calverton Instructor crew that stuck around Saturday night knows what I mean......Those dry rub ribs give the expression, finger lickin good a whole new meaning.....Thank you my Brother!!!!

..Kdan great posts and a fine job as SB........Thanks for bringing me along the trail, lets do this!!!!!

..Chainsaw, 308 = deer meat  O0..

..Vietvet, Bravo, ChrisO, TJ, Lentil, BobO, BigMatt, Mike, Frank....Great job and thanks for your service!!!!!

..To all our Appleseed attendees, thank you for getting off that couch and spending your time with us this weekend.  It was a pleasure to serve you great American History and Rifle Marksmanship skills on a silver platter, and I promiss to do it all again at our next event so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help get the word out about what we do, cause you are now apart of it too....The only way we can continue to grow is with each and everyone of yours help..I know I can count on you all cause you took the first step allready...........and I Thank You, ........................................................Strength & Honor............Josey Wales..........................

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

crak

If you don't use this as your avatar, I might use it as mine.
Check your drama at the door.

kDan

I can think of nothing that would make me prouder than to spend some time as your avatar, Crak.  My favorite thing about that picture is you can see BJM's sharpie behind my ear.  

I forgot to thank TJ for blowing off her homework and helping out, and especially for bringing the pumpkins.

Here's some more photos:

Every Calverton AS needs a token Brooklyn hipster.

Advanced Instruction Techniques.  "Get that leg up!"  "Don't drag wood!"

Josey Wales and VietVet just where they wanna be

1/2 of Calverton's father and son IIT combo

the other half

aw...

TJ skippin skool

um... 60 seconds in a minute at a quarter mile is...  uuhh, let's see carry the one...

learn to shoot today; teach someone to shoot tomorrow

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

This guy was having a miserable time.

STORY TIME!

Proper use of a strong side elbow pad - as a cheek piece!

I think this is the guy that destroyed the pumpkin.

"How many cleaned it?"

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

Chainsaw - "And another thing I don't like about New Yorkers...!"

Crak, smokin'

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

RATTLESNAKE

I showed up Sunday for my first Appleseed experience....I didn't want to leave. Thanks to everyone for all your help you truly are a great group and I am happy to have met you all. This Appleseed has been planted, watered and is starting to grow and I promise to plant seeds of my own. I ordered 2 G.I. Slings and 100 AQT's this morning and I will be training what I learned and returning in October.

Congratulations to everyone who attended !!

Anything I can do to help out for October I will gladly assist ......

"It is not yet too late to accommodate the dispute amicably. But I am of opinion, that, if once General Gage should lead his troops into the country, with design to enforce the late Acts of Parliament, Great Britain may take her leave, at least of the New-England colonies, and, if I mistake not, of all America. If there is any wisdom in the nation, God grant it may be speedily called forth!"
- written in a letter from Joseph Warren to Arthur Lee, 20 February 1775