News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed at Honey Island?

Started by skyfein, September 17, 2010, 11:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyfein

I've just traded e-mails with Jay Hunt, who runs the Honey Island shooting range outside Slidell. (Technically, he runs SELFS, the non-profit which leases the range from the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries.) He says he likes the idea of an Appleseed at Honey Island.

Below are the e-mails. I'm posting them here so others can see his positive reaction. If you have other suggestions for what I might do to move this along, post them here or PM me. My motivation is highly selfish, of course -- I live 45 minutes from the range! Okay, it's not entirely selfish. Truth is, there are a few New Orleanians I'd like to bring to a shoot.

There is also a thread going on this question at Bayoushooter.com:
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41231

Skylar

-----Forwarded Message-----

Subject: RE: thought from a regular
Date: September 17, 2010
To: Skylar Fein

Thanks for your nice e-mail. I think this is a great idea and I have forwarded the information to the Board of Directors.

Jay
http://honeyisland.org

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010
To: jdhunt3@honeyisland.org
Subject: thought from a regular

I live in New Orleans and Honey Island is my home range. I'm so happy about that. It is one of the best ranges I've ever been to -- well run, safe, friendly.

Now I have a suggestion. Let's have an Appleseed!

I attended the Appleseed shoot last weekend at the Sherburne Range. It was one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences I've had in 
years. I thought I knew how to shoot a rifle. Boy was I surprised how much I had to learn. Their instructors are demanding and encouraging. 
Their focus on safety is beyond anything I have ever witnessed. They mix top-notch riflery instruction with American history, telling 
stories during your breaks about individual riflemen whose actions turned the tide of the Revolutionary War.

They leave politics out of it. Not a word is spoken about any current political issue or controversy.

I believe that Appleseed's state coordinator may have already contacted you about the possibility of doing a weekend at Honey 
Island. I just want to put my two cents in: I hope we can make it happen. This is a remarkable group (all volunteers) offering 
instruction that is unlike anything else I have experienced. Many thanks for your great work at Honey Island.

Skylar

spmcpeek

Please send him my contact info, as I have not received a reply from him.  PM me if you don't have my info.

Thanks,
Stephen

LawDog

Any update?  An Appleseed at Honey Island would be great.  I bet there would be a lot of interest. 

Kcinnick

When is there going to be another event in south Louisiana?

LawDog

We are working on bringing a Shoot to SELA.  No details yet, but keep the faith. 

LawDog

We have been told that Honey Island will not host a Shoot.  They don't want to shut down either side of the range.  If you have leads on other ranges though, please send them along.