News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Garand Shoot

Started by Sven, September 06, 2010, 09:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven

There will be a CMP Garand Shoot at the Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club in Harris (near Hinckley) MN on the 25th of this month (September for those of you who have lost count)  ;), the neat thing about this is that they have Garands to lend out and their price for ammunition is less than what I can get it from the CMP.   This would be a great opportunity to try your hand at some distance shooting.

Sven

GRRC CMP GAMES
Sunday September 26, 2010
GRRC, in Harris Mn. will host a day of CMP Games matches which include an
M1 Garand match and a Springfield/Vintage Military Bolt Rifle match.
Range is located off I35, exit #152. Travel west ? mile to Falcon Ave. Turn north
and drive to left bend in road. Range entrance is on right after left bend.
Course of fire; John Garand "A" match. Match #1 will be for M1 Garand rifles.
Match #2 will be for bolt rifles. You may enter one or both matches. All rifles
must comply with CMP rules. Iron sights only.
5 sighters and 10 shots for record prone slow-fire, 15 minute time limit. 10 shots
prone rapid-fire with reload, 70 seconds time limit. 10 shots slow-fire standing,
10 minute time limit.
This match is open to all shooters. Shooters will be required to pull and mark
targets. Eye and ear protection is required while match is in process. Juniors under
18 years old must have an adult on the range at all times.
GRRC has M1 rifles for use for this event. Ammo is available for this event at a
cost of .50 cents per round. GRRC requires the purchase of this ammo when using
our rifles.
Squadding begins at 9am and firing begins at 10am SHARP!!
Entry fees are $12 for one match and $20 for both.
Awards will be CMP medals for achievement scores. Results will be recorded for
CMP national rankings.
More info; contact Kurt Borlaug kubeborlaug@msn.com please enter CMP
Games in subject line or it will be deleted
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

sparks1

Sounds like GREAT fun Sven...thanks for posting.

does anyone know the rules for Offhand slow fire?? Seems to me that some disciplines do not allow sling use during standing. Of course if you have a tight leather shooting jacket there is no disafvantage. But what the heck...distance shooting for fun. Why not. What is the distance?

Still have to solidify vacation plans for Sept. ...noit sure of which weekend we will be going.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

vmt193

Same date as Hinckley's Appleseed!

AFTERMATH

Quote25th of this month
QuoteGRRC CMP GAMES
Sunday September 26, 2010

::)

Actually, it's closer to N. Branch.
But yes; Hinckley is that weekend!!! !@#)

Sparks, the attatched rulebook may assist you...
(I don't know...  I haven't read it.  That could ruin my reputation. ;) )
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

sparks1

Oh, I see how this goes. Send the rule book to the IIT and then question him on how it goes. ;D

Well, I got some reading to do folks. Good thing i'm not tired...only thing I did all day was to reload some 7.62x51 ammo. Spent Sunday firing 3 different rifles at 25,100,200,300,and 400 yds to get come ups. So I getting down to my last few hundred rds. of each. Now I gotta buy some .224 FMJ bullets.

Cursory look says it is all at 200 yds/ same positions we fire only more time in the rapid fire stuff. Like 10 seconds more. ^:)^ Still looking for the offhand sling issue.  Found it...standing> sling to be configured in the parade position and not to be used. Which means attached at both ends and not even a hasty sling at 200yds. Tough.
Another thing...transition with rifle loaded, bolt closed on empty chamber. Not being familiar with a Garand, I'd have to learn how to load 2 rds and close the bolt. Also...
ALL slow fire is single rd loading. This being moot points anyway...Hinckley comes first.

Thanks Alex. (sincerely, not being sarcastic.)  ((unusual, huh?))

(John Maxwell)

russellmn

more time in the rapid stages, plus, you start transitioning as soon as a target moves, but the time doesn't start until the last target is fully up.  Gain a couple seconds there...
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

AFTERMATH

Quote from: sparks1 on September 07, 2010, 12:28:31 AM
Oh, I see how this goes. Send the rule book to the IIT and then question him on how it goes. ;D

Well, I got some reading to do folks. Good thing i'm not tired...only thing I did all day was to reload some 7.62x51 ammo. Spent Sunday firing 3 different rifles at 25,100,200,300,and 400 yds to get come ups. So I getting down to my last few hundred rds. of each. Now I gotta buy some .224 FMJ bullets.

Cursory look says it is all at 200 yds/ same positions we fire only more time in the rapid fire stuff. Like 10 seconds more. ^:)^ Still looking for the offhand sling issue.  Found it...standing> sling to be configured in the parade position and not to be used. Which means attached at both ends and not even a hasty sling at 200yds. Tough.

Thanks Alex. (sincerely, not being sarcastic.)  ((unusual, huh?))

No problem, Sparky.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

sparks1

I'm editing and you are posting.  :bow:

(John Maxwell)

Sven

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa,   :-[  I didn't realize it was the same weekend as Hinckley, I certainly do NOT want to take away from the Hinckley AS.  :wb:

Sven
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

vmt193

Quote from: Sven on September 07, 2010, 08:17:32 PM
Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa,   :-[  I didn't realize it was the same weekend as Hinckley, I certainly do NOT want to take away from the Hinckley AS.  :wb:

Sven

But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind having a MN Appleseeder go there and do well against shooters with a bunch of High-Power titles.

vmt

AFTERMATH

Sven

Russell and I can hold down the shoot if neccessary.
I'm sure there's gonna be more on board soon.
Don't worry about it.  IT/IIT's if this is something you'd like to do; go for it!

sparks1

Quote from: vmt193 on September 07, 2010, 08:50:33 PM

Sven

But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind having a MN Appleseeder go there and do well against shooters with a bunch of High-Power titles.

vmt

Ooooooh, I quite agree. One of our riflemen (gender non-specific) could walk in and take this challenge to it's logical end. Appleseed does work! Only 200 yds and the targets are huge, only those who compete regularly can stand up against one of our riflemen. AND I believe AS woould hold it's own. Shootin a M1 Garand...hah, what an experience.

(John Maxwell)

Rocket Man

Don't think of it as competing with Appleseed...  think of it as another opportunity to Seventh Step.   :cool2:
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Blackdog

Sounds like a hoot n' a half. Just getting an M1 dialed in after a rebarrel and, hmmm.....wonder if I can shoot a Swiss K31 in the bolt gun match, or does it have to be a Springfield?

russellmn

Aftermath and I can indeed take care of the Hinckley shoot on our own if our other orange/red hats want to go to this...  any opportunity to shoot full distance is one to take advantage of.  The knowledge of trajectory you gain is worth it on it's own.  This past weekend in MI I zeroed a new scope on my AR at 25m, walked up to the 600 yd berm where the local guys were shooting and dialed up 50 clicks (12.5moa) and put my first round in the 9 ring!  This can only be accomplished through experience.  If ANYBODY wants to do this I would HIGHLY recommend it.
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

ACP230

There are a couple of ways to load two rounds in a Garand.
One is to buy, or make, a two-round clip.  I had one that someone made by, apparently, driving a screwdriver through the side of a clip leaving a tab sticking out that restricted the mag to two rounds.  More elegant ones are available from some parts houses. 

A simpler way is to take a clip and two rounds and cross the rounds in it in a X, pointing up, of course.  Fooling around with the clip will show what angle actually works best.  When the clip is loaded the two rounds fall down on top of the elevator and load as if they were the last two in a full eight-round clip.

Good shooting!         

AFTERMATH

Did anyone attend this one?  If so, please share.  If not; I'll be archiving it....  When I get arround to it.

Cooper

I was going to go, but as you know, I went to the Hinckley AS instead.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Colorado Pete

ACP230, the rules as listed in the post above mention bolt closed on an empty chamber. A purpose-made 2-round clip won't work for this.

What will work is what you described as the alternative, 2 rounds in a standard clip. But, you have to push the rounds down below the upper curve of the clip so the bolt can then slide over the top round to the empty chamber (which won't work with a 2-shot modified clip because the rounds can't be pushed down).
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Colorado Pete on October 10, 2010, 02:12:09 AM
ACP230, the rules as listed in the post above mention bolt closed on an empty chamber. A purpose-made 2-round clip won't work for this.

What will work is what you described as the alternative, 2 rounds in a standard clip. But, you have to push the rounds down below the upper curve of the clip so the bolt can then slide over the top round to the empty chamber (which won't work with a 2-shot modified clip because the rounds can't be pushed down).

Heck, I've yet to figure out a way to load them less than 8 and have them chamber upon release....  It just don't pick up the first one, unless I force it too.  Or rack it again.