News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

September Revolutionary War Calendar

Started by gunville, September 02, 2010, 04:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunville

From Breeds Hill Institute

September Revolutionary Calendar

1st  1775 : King George refuses the Olive Branch Petition and the last chance for a peaceful resolution with the American colonies.

2nd 1789 : Congress founds U.S. Treasury

3rd 1777 : The Stars and Stripes flies in battle for the first time at Cooch's Bridge, Delaware.

3rd 1783 : The British sign the Treaty of Paris ending the war and recognizing the United States as an independent country.

5th 1774 : First Continental Congress convenes

6th 1781 : The traitor Arnold orders burning of New London Connecticut.

7th 1776 : World's first submarine attack is carried out by David Bushnell's American Turtle

8th 1781 : The battle of Eutaw Springs, South Carolina. A close fought but tactical victory for the British and the last battle of the war in South Carolina.

10th 1776 : Nathan Hale volunteers to spy behind British lines

11th 1777 : The Battle of Brandywine. A serious victory for the British which led to the capture of Philadelphia.

15th 1779 : American ally French Commander Charles Count d'Estaing captures two British frigates and two British supply ships in the Savannah River.

16th 1776 : The Battle of Harlem Heights where Washington's retreating army turned and held their ground, driving off the British forces and restoring American confidence.

17th   1787 : Constitution Day. The U.S. Constitution was signed on this day.

19th 1777 : 1st Battle of Saratoga. British General Burgoyne sees success in taking control of Freeman's Farm but it comes at the cost of significant casualties.

20th 1777 : Redcoats kill sleeping Americans in Paoli Massacre

21st 1779 : The Louisiana governor and Spanish military officer Bernardo de Galvez, with the aide of American troops and militia volunteers, captures the British post and garrison at Baton Rouge in British-controlled West Florida.

21st 1780 Benedict Arnold commits treason as he meets with John Andre to discuss the details of handing over the fort West Point.

22nd 1776 : Patriot Nathan Hale executed for spying. Before he is hung he quotes from the play Cato 'I only regret that I have but one life to give my country.'

23rd 1779 : The U.S. ship Bonhomme Richard, commanded by John Paul Jones, wins a hard-fought engagement against the British ships of war Serapis and Countess of Scarborough, off the eastern coast of England. This is the battle where he has been credited with saying "I have not yet begun to fight." But contemporary accounts claim he said "'I may sink, but I'm damned if I'll strike'.

25th 1775 : Patriot leader Ethan Allen is captured.

28th 1781 : Battle of Yorktown begins

29th 1780 : British spy and coordinator of Benedict Arnold's defection John Andre is sentenced to death.
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell