News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

First Aid

Started by sparks1, August 24, 2010, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks1

Well, thanks to work I got CPR certified today. As an electrician it is as much a tool of the trade as a Kleins or screwdriver.

Got to thinking of AS and thought ....Hmmm, not a bad idea for that either. Talked to the instructor and got his card. He says he will do a CPR class for $40.00 each and minimum of 6 people. He is from River Falls , Wi. , but will travel to the cities. Just wanted to put this out there for anyone and everyone.

Ron
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

javaguy

This is an excellent idea.  Something every instructor should probably have.  First Aid along with it.  The next one around where I live is in October through community ed - same price I think.  I am interested!

AFTERMATH

Quote from: sparks1 on August 24, 2010, 06:36:16 PM
Well, thanks to work I got CPR certified today. As an electrician it is as much a tool of the trade as a Kleins or screwdriver.

Got to thinking of AS and thought ....Hmmm, not a bad idea for that either. Talked to the instructor and got his card. He says he will do a CPR class for $40.00 each and minimum of 6 people. He is from River Falls , Wi. , but will travel to the cities. Just wanted to put this out there for anyone and everyone.

Ron

How long is his course?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

adamt

The last time I was CPR certified was like 10+ years ago, I think it is only good for like a couple of years though.

AdamT.
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

TheDud

We should just keep having shoots in Rochester, I think we had 3 or 4 Doctors on the firing line this weekend  O0

But on a serious note, this is good training - just as important is basic first aid - boo boo / ouchies as well as controlling more major situations until EMS arrives.

sparks1

My class took 4 hrs...we were also trained on an AED. Defibrilator kind of device. Seeing alot more of these around. No first aid tho...would be nice to get the CPR and first aid together.

(John Maxwell)

russellmn

Quote from: sparks1 on August 25, 2010, 06:26:47 PM
My class took 4 hrs...we were also trained on an AED. Defibrilator kind of device. Seeing alot more of these around. No first aid tho...would be nice to get the CPR and first aid together.

Ummmm....  AED  Automatic Emergency Defibrilator....   sure, that's a defibrilator kind of device.   **)
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

AFTERMATH

Quote from: russellmn on August 26, 2010, 04:53:09 AM
Quote from: sparks1 on August 25, 2010, 06:26:47 PM

Ummmm....  AED  Automatic Emergency Defibrilator....   sure, that's a defibrilator kind of device.   **)

Did they tell you you could improvise one with 220 and a couple of loose leads? :sos:
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

sparks1

Well actually that might work, Aftermath. The device's job is to stop the heart by electric shock, because it is in fibrilation (sp) The brain then restarts it in normal rhythm.

(John Maxwell)

CSHR

This is a cut and paste from a line I started in April.   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13418.0    The attachments at the page bottom give further information.
Nice to know that somebody else can see the necessity. Again, hope it helps.
CSHR

Medical Information, I hope never to have to use.
<< on: April 25, 2010, 10:14:57 PM >>

In an attempt to be an asset to Apple Seed I offer two suggestions, for those who know much better than I, to discuss or ignore as the case may be.

1.www.redcross.org     select: preparing and getting trained   select: get trained    enter zip code here (yours)   select: visit their website  select: enter it   select: courses   
  select: adult, infant, and child CPR/AED/First Aid(Community)    select: download or save

This is basic first aid and cpr instruction/information for non-medical people available in your own local. It lists the class as 7 hours total, I don't know the cost. You should know it for yourself and your own family, not to mention AS if anything really does go to Murphy's Laws.

2. I figure this should be a basic 'form' that SB's should have and know how to use....if Murphy does rear his ugly head. I would also suggest that the GPS coordinates of their shoots are known by them although I didn't include a place on the form for them.

Appreciate the time viewing and your thoughts.
CSHR

* AdultInfantChildFACPR.pdf (34.31 KB - downloaded 4 times.)
* AS MEDICAL REPORT.doc (29 KB - downloaded 3 times.)
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

CSHR

Sparks,

"Well actually that might work, Aftermath. The device's job is to stop the heart by electric shock, because it is in fibrilation (sp) The brain then restarts it in normal rhythm."

Gonna get technical on you...AF(atrial fibrillation) is a disorganized depolarization and re-polarization of the cells that make up the muscles of the heart.. the AED shock to the heart muscle is to depolarize the entire muscle at once. This particular muscle is unique in that they have 'automaticity', means now they re-start their 'internal pumps' and get to a 're-polarized' state, then start automatically to 'leak'. When they get to the 'action potential' they 'move'. As the cells in the SA nodal area move some muscle cells, they start the rest of the muscular cells to do the same thing in a spreading fashion and also start the 'electrical' system to spreading the signal throughout the heart in a coordinated manner....this allows the heart muscle to rhythmically 'contract' in a manner that forces/pushes blood forward to the lungs and the body.
The brain stem is where the respiratory drive is located, and this works around PaO2 and PaCo2 levels in the circulating blood, and will also keep going or restart until something catastrophic happens to it.

NOT meaning to insult anyone....but...on a site where darn near everybody speaks 'gun/shooting/re-loading/IMC/KD and guess the distance' so much better than I do, it is nice to feel like I can contribute a little once in a while.

LayloPro tells me I talk to much, KISS, so don't let him know I butted in, thanks   :)

CSHR

"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

sparks1

Oooooooooookay...more than I needed to know.

Get 'em breathin, stop the bleedin' and get the damn dustoff here to whisk 'em off to see the pros. That's what I was trained for. Maybe a styrette in the arm and pin the needle in the cheek so's the pros know how much morphine they got.

Keep 'em goin' till the EMT's show up.

91bravo...I hear it has since changed. Infantry medic for the ill informed.

(John Maxwell)