News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed at Afton, OK on September 18-19, 2010

Started by henschman, August 02, 2010, 02:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henschman

Howdy everybody -- I thought I would introduce our newest Oklahoma Appleseed event, which will be held at Excalibur Sporting Goods in Afton, OK on September 18-19.  Matt (IIT from Stillwater) and I met with the owner on Saturday and made the necessary arrangements.  This shoot will be special, because it will be the first Appleseed in the state to be held at a location with a full-service gun shop just yards from the range!  Excalibur stocks rifle ammunition of all types, and the owner is also planning to stock Tech Sights, sling studs, 1 1/4" sling swivels, and GI web slings (along with Marlin and Ruger rifles, of course) for our students' convenience.  The range allows for shooting out to 175 yards, so some sort of full-distance component is a possibility.  

This is also exciting news for our friends in Tulsa -- this is the closest Appleseed for them as of yet.  It is less than an hour away from North Tulsa.  

We will have excellent hosts in Mike and his wife.  They are excited about this shoot, and so am I.  Excalibur is a new range and gun shop that is looking to get its name out there, and I told them that we can help with that.  Let's get this shoot filled up!  It will hold approx. 40 shooters.  I will need help promoting this shoot as soon as the Event Info. Page is up.

Start making your plans for this weekend.

Oh yeah, camping will be available on the range.  Also, the owner said that he will set up his clay pigeon range after the Appleseed, so everyone is welcome to bring their shotguns for some after-hours fun in the evenings.  (shotguns at an Appleseed?!  Sacrilegious, I know...  But fun!! >:D )

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Grendel

Hmmm...Interesting. But Afton is about 2 hours from Tulsa (when you take into account all the construction on I-44). But, it's about an hour from my house. I'll have to see what my work schedule is that weekend. Maybe I can make it up if I'm free.

On another thought, have you guys thought about getting in touch with Mike Friend from The Firing Line in Wyandotte? More remote, but he has a private range which he uses for the Oklahoma Full Auto Shoot. Goes out to about 250 or 300 yards, and you could probably put 300 people on their line.

Greg in MO

Excellent work Hensch!

And only 3.5 hours from me...  Hmmm.

Greg

Scarecrow

Encouraging news! Hope this range can be a regular venue.

henschman

This likely will be a regular venue... the owner and his wife said that if it goes over well, they will definitely want to do another one soon.

Yeah Greg, this shoot is actually even closer to Joplin, MO than it is to Tulsa, so it should be a lot better for you if you are looking for an OK shoot to come to.

Grendel, I would love to do a shoot at The Firing Line.  Thanks for the suggestion -- I'll have to give Mike a call.

You know, even with construction, it wasn't too bad getting out there... It took me a little over an hour to get there from Tulsa on Saturday.  I hope you can make it out.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."

Grendel

Henchman, are you in Tulsa? I live east of Tulsa about 45 minutes in Southern Mayes County. But, I work in Tulsa every day, 6 sometimes 7 days a week. I can't make the Chickasha shoot, but I'll be at Eureka, KS the next weekend.

I have a friend who works for Oklahoma Police Supply and they are working on opening up a new indoor range in Tulsa, he says it will go out to 50 yards. Don't what you guys would think about doing a weekend clinic indoors, in the air conditioning, during the beautiful Oklahoma summer, but I could talk to him if there's any interest. (This is assuming that I enjoy my experience with Appleseed in Eureka and want to continue practicing becoming a rifleman.)

henschman

Nah, I'm in Stillwater for the time being, and I'm looking for a house in Oklahoma City (just got a job there). 

But I've had tons of Tulsans tell me we need to get an Appleseed closer to them. 

I would absolutely be open to an indoor Appleseed, if the range facilities would work with our course of fire.  The problem with most indoor ranges is that they usually have individual stations with dividers between them, and built-in shooting benches/tables.  Appleseeds are shot exclusively from field positions, so the bench just gets in the way, and the dividers make it harder for the instructors to police the line and engage the students.  Also, there tends to be limited space on the line. 

However, the air conditioned environment would be a big plus if the facilities would be accommodating. 

It would be great if you could talk to your friend about the possibility of an Appleseed.  Feel free to put him or anybody at the range in touch with me if they want to discuss what we can do for them, etc... my e-mail is OK@appleseedinfo.org

Thanks!

Oh, and if you don't enjoy yourself up there at an Appleseed at a full-fledged family camp with olypmic-size pool, bunk houses, a mess hall, and the Kansas crew, then something is definitely wrong with you!   %)

Grendel

It'll be be a month or two before I get to talk to him again, but I'll let you know what he says.

BTW, my dad is in Stillwater. Hopefully I can get him to go with me to Eureka, KS in a couple weeks.

Grendel

Looks like I"ll be able to make it to this shoot. Hoping to bring my wife and brother in law at least. Gotta come up with rifles for them though.

This will probably be the last Appleseed that I'll be able to get to until late spring or summer next year as my work keeps me busy almost every weekend through the fall and spring.

henschman

If you can't find rifles, I have a couple loaners.  Lots of the other instructors do, too. 

Also, Mike Nelson, the range owner, will be selling LTRs that are all set up with tech sights and GI web slings.  These will be built with both Marlin 795s and Ruger 10/22s.  His prices are very reasonable, from what I've seen. 

Grendel

You got contact info for hm? I tried looking for a website but couldn't find one.

oldgrunt

918-257-4126...that should get you there in Afton...Oh one other thing Oxford Kansas has plenty of room if anyone wanted to get to more shoots..Nice location and the Landowner is Great..So dont thinnk its to far its just the other side of the stateline going up I-35...And those guys running it are so fun to shoot with..But back to Afton...The area has the davis gun museum and the hotrodders dream shop Starbird customs ..If not older than 30 you got to see these spots ..History you'll remeber for ever..Seeya all soon The weather has been great 65 then by noon high 80's with a breeze..........
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

Grendel

I'm registered for the Afton shoot!

Does anyone know if there's a place here in Tulsa that sells the Volquartsen auto bolt releases and extractors? I just got paid today so this is the earliest that I'm able to get them, and buying from Midway or Brownells won't get here until next week unless I pay for over night shipping.  :wb:

henschman

I'm glad you can make it!!

I don't know of any place that stocks Volquartsen stuff, but then again I don't know Tulsa all that well.

I do know that it is very easy to do the auto bolt release mod with just a dremel... it's seriously just a few minutes worth of work if you have a dremel (or if you can borrow one from somebody).

You can also "stone" the hammer to give it a lighter trigger pull if you have a grinding stone or cartridge rolls for your dremel.

I don't know about a quick extractor upgrade -- neither of my Rugers ever had any extraction issues, so I never had to mess with it.  I do know one thing you can do that smooths out the action (and helps the rifle cycle better) is to polish your return spring rod.

There are good instructions for all of these things online if you run some searches.

Grendel

Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it. I'm really disappointed, especially since this is only an hour from my house and I had asked off the whole weekend.

oldgrunt

Thats ok your tickets will be good for the next shoot at Banner in OKC...The rifle issue is a easy fix as Hench said it was. But on 31th green country pawn gun can order you a part.Lots of good shops there that can help you..The USSA school up in Owassso has a very nice sports shop and James Groom there can work on any rifle known to man ..If you plan on going to the Big gun show in Novmeber look for the redhats and Appleseed shirts we can show you some other stuff that will be there ..I got a few slings last time for 5 bucks ...

Hope to seeya at a shoot soon contact any of us if you need help..We sometimes shoot in Tulsa and I know a few more shooters that get together at Red castle and happy hollow..Might try coming out ..
                                         Iron Mike

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

henschman

OK, I just talked to Mike at Excalibur, and everything is ready.  He was just having the range/campground mowed for us.  

He said that one shooter already showed up... some high power guy... and he's out there shooting right now.  I said, does he have a red Ford Ranger and an M-14?  He said yup.  lol.  

Mike also just got in a shipment of Mossberg's brand new .22... the 702 Tactical.  It's a 702 Plinkster in an AR shell... comes with A2-style click-adjustable aperture sights, 6-position stock, sling studs, picatinny rail scope mount, and quad rail forearm.  That would make somebody a nice little LTR, especially since they're only in the $260 range!  I'm telling you, Mike's got some deals.  He's also got Marlin 795s for $100 after mail-in rebate.  Oh, and Oldgrunt?  Shelly?  He's got those 25 round mags for the S&W M&PP 15/22 that you guys have been looking for!  Yeah, I'm dead serious!

Right now, pre-registration numbers are at 30.  Should be another good-sized Oklahoma shoot. 

See you out there.  If anybody needs anything, call me at 4o5 88o o5o6.  I'll be out there late tonight, along with Matt.

Everybody take care and drive safe.  Now back to work for 3 more hours!  

Later,

henschman

Grendel

I may be coming after all. And (I think) my brother's coming with me.  &)

edit: confirmed, I'm coming, and he's coming.

oktx

Quote from: henschman on September 17, 2010, 03:56:11 PM
OK, I just talked to Mike at Excalibur, and everything is ready.  He was just having the range/campground mowed for us.  

He said that one shooter already showed up... some high power guy... and he's out there shooting right now.  I said, does he have a red Ford Ranger and an M-14?  He said yup.  lol.  

Mike also just got in a shipment of Mossberg's brand new .22... the 702 Tactical.  It's a 702 Plinkster in an AR shell... comes with A2-style click-adjustable aperture sights, 6-position stock, sling studs, picatinny rail scope mount, and quad rail forearm.  That would make somebody a nice little LTR, especially since they're only in the $260 range!  I'm telling you, Mike's got some deals.  He's also got Marlin 795s for $100 after mail-in rebate.  Oh, and Oldgrunt?  Shelly?  He's got those 25 round mags for the S&W M&PP 15/22 that you guys have been looking for!  Yeah, I'm dead serious!

Right now, pre-registration numbers are at 30.  Should be another good-sized Oklahoma shoot. 

See you out there.  If anybody needs anything, call me at 4o5 88o o5o6.  I'll be out there late tonight, along with Matt.

Everybody take care and drive safe.  Now back to work for 3 more hours!  

Later,

henschman
Actually we were looking for the short 10 round ones b/c the 25 round ones are too tall to shoot prone with easily.   :)

K98Al

Left my clipboard and stopwatch down there. Clipboard is marked K98AL, stopwatch has a Ford key at one end of lanyard. If y'all run across these, please bring them to the OKC shoot Oct 9-10. Thanks.

Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

floydf

Dan,

Checking in as the newest instructor in training.  Had a blast this weekend.  Looking forward to the next one.

Floyd Ferguson
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

oldgrunt

Heres a few from the weekend..I know there are more out there I'll try to transfer them over from the facebook spots that have been posted on..Maybe the folks that took them will post them here..HINT HINT ..lol
                                         Iron Mike

THOMAS PAINE

Scarecrow

FLOYDF Welcome!
We need you. ..:..
Wish I could have made this shoot.
I know it was good 'cause I know the team.
OK instructor cadre definitely knows what they are about.
Gregg and CookieLady do too.
Heard that Harry Epperson was finally shanghaied into taking a hat!   ^:)^ **)
Oklahoma is rollin'!

Surveyor1653

Here are some of ours.

Firing line under construction

Team Infidel on the firing line

Getting into the sling

View from the firing line
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court