News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

I wanna be the Promotions Boss for a Yakima/Moxee AS

Started by 06en, July 28, 2010, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06en

Just like the Tile states: I wanna be the Promotions Boss for a Yakima/Moxee AS.

I have yet to shoot a Rifleman's score but I was knocking at the door at the last Castle Rock Shoot. Maybe this weekend will be the one I shoot it at.

If I do or if I don't I still see the need to have AppleSeed in Central Washington State. Western and Eastern Washington seem to have a pretty good program going. There has been an AS in Yakima/Moxee a few years ago but nothing since. Western Rose has PMed me stating that she would be the SB for the event, and if I shoot 210+ this weekend, I'll be honored to take on the responsibilities of an Orange hat. If I don't, I still wanna be the Promotions Boss for a Yakima/Moxee AS.

I can obtain the schedual for the next Sun Valley Shooting Park Board of Directors Meeting so that someone with the authority can come in and make the sale of this  wonderful Project Appleseed. I have been selling AS to lots of folks here locally and I think we could really get it packed out. The park does close off the Hi-Power range (out to 350 yards) for other events so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for a great project like Appleseed. If we had plenty of instructors, we could probably do nearly 50 shooters. I would think that the Park would also have members that would sign up...non-members would have to pay a $10/day range fee.

There are other areas (like a couple of pits...15 shooter per pit) that would work well for a group around 30. Plenty of room there for safe equipment line...firing line... and target line. I have 4 canopies that I would bring out to help with the sun.

I have good relationships with several different FFLs here locally so promotion material will be welcome at many of those locations. I know of at least 3 instructors at Perry Tech who would be willing to let me post some materials in their departments as well as attend a local AS. I have at least a dozen people in the School Dist. in which I work that are interested. One of them has a son who is a parapallegic, who has an interest in attending a local AS (so that would be something that a SB may want to keep in mind). I am also volunteering to personally place an ad in the local Thrifty Nickle.

I guess the point that I am trying to get to is that Central Washington (Yakima/Moxee) REALLY NEEDS AppleSeed and  I wanna be the Promotions Boss.

Wade

Hey 06en

hit me up for some fliers  and talk with Wheeler44,,glad your stepping up  O0.

Right now it looks like my little hole in the ground is all Washington has for AS Shoots :o ??? :-[

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

06en

Hi Wade thanks for the offer, and I will take you up on it this weekend. Not sure if Wheeler will be at your place this weekend. Gosh that guy is busy. Hoping to take my 206's up a shot or two this weekend.

SavageShootr

Thanks for picking this back up!!

There was an Appleseed at that range in June '08 and another later in the year. It was held in two of those "pits" that you were talking about. Western Rose was in attendance. It should be an easy sell as they already have experience with the program.

Good Luck.  O0

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

06en

The park is under new management a couple time over since then. From everything that I hear locally, just about everything has to go through the Board. I will call to be certain. I had been told that the last RO had to go to Board meetings just to request money to get gas. So I'm sure that the current RO probably doesn't have the authority to fill out a Host Application. Actually I will head to the range with a HA and see. Maybe find out what dates might be available.

SavageShootr

O6en

That is a good idea. The worst that can happen is that he says he doesn't have the authority and you go to the board meeting.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

Western Rose

There is also some other Appleseeders (a family of three) in the area who have been coming up to our shoots here in Lewiston. The Dad of the family is also wanting a shoot in Yakima and is willing to work with us to get shoots there. Right now, he's in contact with my dad, Reformed Redneck.

And SS was one of the instructors. ;)

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

06en

I believe that would be Troy?...found the AAR from that last shoot but was not quite sure how to get ahold of him.

Western Rose

Yes. If you PM Reformed Redneck, he has Troy's contact info and the status on whatever he's been doing.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

06en

Thank you Western Rose. PM has been sent to Reformed Redneck.

06en

Update of what I have so far. the following is part of a PM I have sent to some folks here.

I have been in telephone contact with  Sun Valley Shooting (SVSP) Park President, Jim Pearson, about getting scheduled for an Apple Seed shoot for 30 at the range in Moxee/ Yakima Washington.  I will get a Host Application signed, when I get a date for the use of a section of the range (more than likely the pits).

While looking over the Host App I am looking at what I can fill out for him. I want to comment on some of the items that I can take care of and others that I will have to speak to him about.

1. Date of AS shoot : to be determined
2. Range fees for non SVSPmembers: adult $10/day, juniors (under 18) $5/day. There should be no fee of course for Instructors but I will insure that will be the case.
3. Exemption for kid and Military: to be determined
4. Range Liability Waiver Required: to be determined
5. Cover: I have 5 pole 10x10 canopies that I will bring  for use of the shoot
6. Distance: pits will work for 25m work. I cannot guarantee the exclusive use of the KD long range. I would also suggest limiting it to 22lr as well.
7. Restrooms: These are located back up the hill at the club house, however I believe that a Porta Potty can be moved to the area that we will be using.
8. Classroom: N/A
9. Restaurants & Stores: 12 miles east.
10. Primitive Camp sites: They do have them but will have to inquire of availability
11. Parking: along one side of the road close to the pits
12. Hotels: I can come up with several to be listed.
13. Other campgrounds: none that I am aware of that are close enough to be convenient
14. Target stands and backers: I am willing to get the materials needed for the target line (stands and backers). Wood frames and cardboard.
15. Promotions: The range will let us post the event and leave fliers there at the range club house.  However, I am quite sure that they will not want to take on the expense of making fliers. I will donate an ad in the local and regional Thrifty Nickel papers. I would ask that if I can be supplied with enough fliers that I could leave them at local businesses for the promotion of this event.
When all is said and done, their bottom line is that we just schedule the event with them. We would get  the area we would need. They would get daily range fees for non-members. The proposed initial dates I will be inquiring for are as follows:

September
18 & 19
OR
25 & 26
OR
October
2 & 3
OR
9 & 10
OR
16 & 17
OR
30 & 31

My objective is to have at least 6 AS shoots here every year. Then I want to work on getting  another 6 AS shoots in the Wenatchee Washington area (which is approximately 2.5 hour drive north) every year. Central Washington state needs Appleseed & we need Central Washington. It is my intent to bring Appleseed to Central Washington State to stay and grow.

There have been two shoots at this range before, but the range is now under new management so it's kind of  like working from scratch. As I have stated in threads in the Washington Boards, I do have many prospects for shooters. Western Rose is willing to be SB is her schedule allows. I am 1 of 2 Riflemen here locally. RL has stated that he would come if his schedule allows. Also several folks I attended the August Coeur D'Alene IBC with said they would attend and help if schedules allowed. I look forward to any replies I plan to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

Fred

06, good for you, in making this effort.

I don't know how much "institutional memory" this site may have - it's possible none of the current board knows we've been there at least three times before - and therefore may not "know" AS and what it is about.

So you may have a bigger sales job than you think, or that you should have.

We can supply the fliers you need. (Send me a PM with name/address and how many you think you'll need.)

I'd work on letting the host supply the target stands and backers - when they charge ten bucks a day, they should be expected to provide such.

I'd also try for more than one date - I'd shoot for two at least - and make it clear you'd like to see the AS program grow at this location. Some hosts like the fact we're not "fly by night" but offer prospects of growing future "business".

Heck, if you value your time and efforts, I'd present a request for two AS this year, and hand them a sched for next year, showing six dates (or more).

To help you in your presentation, steer them to the Fox News webpage blog which they can find on our home page.

PS: How's this for a proposal? Set a date for Sept and Oct of this year - then introduce them to "Winterseed" - it's possible they suffer a drop off in attendance (and hence $) in the winter months - and you can kick off the WA WS program by suggesting an AS a month for Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and March - then finish up next year with "one a month". Aim for the moon - sometimes you get there! O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

06en

Thanks Fred,

After speaking with Reformed Redneck & SavageShootr, I was going to start with a mid October date thru early November for another first AS at this range. And as you have suggested, will shoot for the moon. I will send PM when I get a date so I can get promotions going.

Rizzin

I am a member of the Range in question here and was at Wades for the July 31 AS and talked to 06en about helping him bring a shoot to the Yakama Valley.

I talked to the Rangemaster today and he thought somebody from SoCal had called and was trying to setup a date for an AS at this range at the end of Oct. He was having trouble returning their call.

He told me today that it wold be OK to hold an AS shoot at the park but in addition to the $10/day range fees the park would also want 10% of what AS takes in holding an event.
06en, can you confirm this with Jim Pearson? Considering the lack of any kind of shade and that all the shooting pits are graveled making prone shooting uncomfortable even with a carpet mat under you I think they are asking for a lot. It might be they are thinking this is a one time thing but if we show a full ongoing schedule then their fee schedule will look different to them.

bob 210

Yep, it was me that had called the range about an upcoming date. I will attempt to call again tomorrow and set a date. I will need help with promotions locally. Does anyone have contact info for the rangemaster in East Wanachee? If so, please send it to me in a PM. Thanks
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

06en

UPDATE: Winterseed in Central Washington

Tonight I was finally able to meet with and sell Project Appleseed to Jim Pearson, President of Moxee Sun Valley Targets, and I have tenative dates for Nov & Dec of 2010 through Dec 2011. I will have set dates for by Sept 20. If ya'll think it may too cold, just remember what was done for us over 200 years ago during the winter. If they could do that for their posterity, then we can do it for ours.

I also have tenative dates for every month for 2011. Yes that's right, 12 shoots for next year. On top of that, Jim is agreeable to give us the exclusive use of the KD 300 yard range for at least one of the shoots next year. I will have to figure out how many we could put on that line later but I see 50 plus in my head.

For promotions, he asked if we might have someone at the November shoot who might be dressed in Revolutionary era garb. If we could he would contact our local media, paper-radio & TV to come and cover the event. I do know that at my first AS last year in Castle Rock we did have a guy come and do just that. I believe that I have a common friend of that gentleman so that may help also. After all I'm shooting for the moon.

06en

Have event flyers made already...just waiting till the events get posted...don't want to advertise for them till folks can actually sign up for them.

Wheeler44

Buddy...You are a ball of fire....Keep up the good work...

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

06en

2 Shoots schedualed Yakima. Will be running flyers and such starting
September 28 (tomorrow).

patronus of licentia

Nice work 06,

With the true Rifleman spirit you have persisted. Look forward to meeting you at the Yakima shoot. Is this going to be a covered range or are we under the skies? Let me know if you need help with Wenatchee. I do not know anyone there but a tag team approach generally really helps.

POL
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he then be trusted with the government of others?"
Thomas Jefferson

06en

We will be under the skies...well I do have some pole canopies...getting them up will take some time and help. I have used them many times and have used zip ties to hang tarps on the sides. I have a little rusted sheep herders stove to keep a fire burning. I'm sure I could get someone to donate fruit wood to keep it going.

AS far as Wenatchee goes, I know no one with a facility. I do however know some folks with property and have been working on them about seting up a range for an AS. Turns out to be a little tougher than I thought it would be. But persist I shall.

I'm also looking for another venue here in Yakima Valley. We get to use the one I got set up for Nov and Dec without charge, however that would change for next year. Looking forward to meeting you as well.

06en

Quote from: patronus of licentia on September 30, 2010, 02:04:23 PM
Nice work 06,

With the true Rifleman spirit you have persisted. Look forward to meeting you at the Yakima shoot. Is this going to be a covered range or are we under the skies? Let me know if you need help with Wenatchee. I do not know anyone there but a tag team approach generally really helps.

POL

06en

I will be making contact with the JROTC Instructor in the school dist. in which I work about at least providing AS information to his cadets. What I would really like to do is offer them the opportunity for us to present them with a pressentation of the AS Project. Don't really know the type of reception I might get, if I might be stepping on anyones toes or egos but we all know that they need us and we need them. Our district does have a rifle team, so I think the reception might be good.

What I am looking for is again, is a RH or advanced IIT who might be willing to help with a talk to the JROTC team. The Nov Yakima AS sits right in the middle of 2 different rifle compititions for them. Ideas? Volunteers?

PHenry

06en,
Florida's Promo Boss is not an instructor either, but he is very smart and IT savvy. He's caseyblane on forum and could likely offer you some pointers. He's big on social networking sites and does a newsletter every month. We'd be lost without him. Kudos for stepping up sir.  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

tdow

Quote from: 06en on October 08, 2010, 12:46:08 PM
I will be making contact with the JROTC Instructor in the school dist. in which I work about at least providing AS information to his cadets. What I would really like to do is offer them the opportunity for us to present them with a pressentation of the AS Project. Don't really know the type of reception I might get, if I might be stepping on anyones toes or egos but we all know that they need us and we need them. Our district does have a rifle team, so I think the reception might be good.

What I am looking for is again, is a RH or advanced IIT who might be willing to help with a talk to the JROTC team. The Nov Yakima AS sits right in the middle of 2 different rifle compititions for them. Ideas? Volunteers?

It sounds like they could benefit from participating in the Nov. AS.  I think they would see their scores improve.

06en

I did meet with the Districts ROTC instructors and they seem to be very interested. They are unsure at this point on whether or not I would be able to present AS to the cadets myself and I haven't heard back from them yet. But I did leave them some info so that they could 'leak' it to the cadets themselves.

I went 7th stepping at Perry Tech today, and I believe that I may have some good results from that visit.

The Mrs is holding her own at work also, by getting the word out to co-workers.

drunk_on_pork

Sorry for the off-topic post.  I shot the Appleseed at Wade's range in Castle Rock.  I ended up w/ about 3 10/22 mags from a gal named Shawn (her husband has the forum name "06en").  I would like to return them, but haven't been able to figure out where to send them.  If anyone has any info - please drop a line to gerald.sexton@gmail.com

Thanks,

Gerald

06en

Thanks Gerald. Email sent.

Quote from: drunk_on_pork on November 15, 2010, 02:41:56 PM
Sorry for the off-topic post.  I shot the Appleseed at Wade's range in Castle Rock.  I ended up w/ about 3 10/22 mags from a gal named Shawn (her husband has the forum name "06en").  I would like to return them, but haven't been able to figure out where to send them.  If anyone has any info - please drop a line to gerald.sexton@gmail.com

Thanks,

Gerald

jerryinoregon

06en,
Contact dave sylvanus at perry tech in the instrumentation department and tell him about AS he is a rifle shooter and shoots at that range. Tell him that Jerry Hennings told you to contact him. i graduated from perry in January of 07. Was ISA president for two terms.
I shot at the AS at that range in 08 and was looking forward to getting back there this year but the shoots have been on my work days so it will have to wait till next year. But i will be bringing my wife to the next one we can make. Just need to find a baby sitter to bring with us(daughter is too young to shoot yet even though she already has a 10/22 liberty rifle and a.38 pistol).

We loved the range at CD'a but yakima is closer too us. Might even try to get a shoot at the Rattle snake mountain range in tricities this next year. i have been a member there for a couple of years. I belong to several ranges in eastern oregon and washington. Since i am an NRA and Utah CWP instructor i believe i should support the shooting clubs in the area that my students belong to.

Jerry
He that Hath No Sword Let Him Sell His Garment and Buy One- Luke 22:34

....from my cold dead hands....

molon labe

06en

Quote from: jerryinhermiston on December 07, 2010, 09:09:03 AM
06en,
Contact dave sylvanus at perry tech in the instrumentation department and tell him about AS he is a rifle shooter and shoots at that range. Tell him that Jerry Hennings told you to contact him. i graduated from perry in January of 07. Was ISA president for two terms.
I shot at the AS at that range in 08 and was looking forward to getting back there this year but the shoots have been on my work days so it will have to wait till next year. But i will be bringing my wife to the next one we can make. Just need to find a baby sitter to bring with us(daughter is too young to shoot yet even though she already has a 10/22 liberty rifle and a.38 pistol).

We loved the range at CD'a but yakima is closer too us. Might even try to get a shoot at the Rattle snake mountain range in tricities this next year. i have been a member there for a couple of years. I belong to several ranges in eastern oregon and washington. Since i am an NRA and Utah CWP instructor i believe i should support the shooting clubs in the area that my students belong to.

Jerry

I have been in contact with Dave as well as the instrustors in the Machine programs at Perry. All have expressed interest but I have not seen any of them at the last event we had in the area.

I will be getting in contact with the folks at the TCSA to see if they would be interested in hosting an AS there. I do have other ranges on my radar in the Central WA area. Appleseed is here to stay in the Central WA.

Hope to see you and the whole family along the AS trail.

06en

SavageShootr

Hi Jerry,

Nice to see that you are still involved. I remember you from the Yakima Appleseed in June of '08.

Hope to see both you and your wife on the trail.

SS