News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Hell on Earth Appleseed Shoot

Started by scuzzy, July 27, 2010, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Time for some levity, sorry, I just couldn't help myself with this one.

What about us here in Texas?

We really don't have what you'd call 'Winter' here. It more like half way between summer and spring. So shooting in December might mean having to put on a long sleeve shirt vs cold weather gear.

So in the interest of my Southern Brethren I propose something to challenge people to get out in incliment weather. Something for the South. How about 'Hell on Earth Appleseed?' Do a shoot in Texas during July. Or New Mexico. You get the picture. I'd even done a graphic too (thanks Fred, I copied yours).

What do y'all think?

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Aromatic

Just did one this weekend :~  It wasnt that bad  :)

lookylou

Indoors doesn't count. How about Ft Bliss Rod and Gun Club in August? Or we could schedule it for next July during the peak days. You know ....where the temp doesn't drop below 100 and folks are dropping like flies. Yup, that's the spirit. Or not<grin>! ++) ;D

voortrekker

Quote from: scuzzy on July 27, 2010, 10:44:31 PM
Time for some levity, sorry, I just couldn't help myself with this one.

What about us here in Texas?

We really don't have what you'd call 'Winter' here. It more like half way between summer and spring. So shooting in December might mean having to put on a long sleeve shirt vs cold weather gear.

So in the interest of my Southern Brethren I propose something to challenge people to get out in incliment weather. Something for the South. How about 'Hell on Earth Appleseed?' Do a shoot in Texas during July. Or New Mexico. You get the picture. I'd even done a graphic too (thanks Fred, I copied yours).

What do y'all think?

Scuzzy,

I appreciate your creativity, you are alot like me in that sense.   ^-^

BUT, a different Rifleman patch isn't gonna secure more Riflemen......I wish it so!!! 

Maybe RWVA can hook up with the Pecos Run and Gun shoot and give that patch to those whove earned it in the on of he hottest places in the US for a rifle marksmanship event.

Warmest Regards my TX Brethren,

Brett
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

crak

Lol, we were joking about the same thing up here for the winter.  A little blue "Frozen" bar for anybody doing the whole weekend when it's below 32 degrees or in snow.  Maybe a red "Toasted" one for anybody doing a whole weekend when it's above 95.  ;D

Check your drama at the door.

Grumpy

Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.

AZOpie

We are with you over in Arizona. We just did one here in Kingman - and it was close to that bad. I know I went thru 2 gallons of gatorade and about 7 gallons of water over the weekend...

Baminal

I'm with grumpy on this one.  Sure those rifles got a little toasty in the sun, but this weekend wasn't that bad and it sure was not as bad as it gets in Texas.

But I am sorta intrigued at the idea of some sort of recognition for those who put up with the weather extremes to improve themselves, just not sure how that could be done without a whole new layer of complication on the part of the instruction staff who have plenty to do as it is.

Maybe the pecos idea could be expanded to other regions and seasons to create some relatively extreme challenges that are under the RWVA umbrella, but definitely apart from AS and RBC shoots.  Maybe 4 different color RWVA patches to signify some advanced levels of heat/cold/wind/water environments.  Spring near Topeka, Summer near Pecos, Fall near Seattle and Winter near Billings.

nothing like rambling out loud... :cool2:

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)

Grumpy

I've been in Billings in January, ONCE.
Give me the heat....I'll find a way to cool off.
Cold, different story.
Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.

starfox

Quote from: scuzzy on July 27, 2010, 10:44:31 PM

Oh, I wouldn't say we don't have winter here.  At the Austin shoot back in January, it was about 15 degrees out to start the day both days.  A nice frost on the ground both mornings.  Then there was the foot of snow we got in the DFW area.  We just don't have as MUCH winter as other places. :)

Then again, some instructors consider it winter any time the mercury drops below 60!   ;)
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

dart67eb

The first day of spring in Canton, MS this year it snowed.  The July 10-11 shoot in Como, MS WAS hotter than h e double hockey sticks.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

txpirate

Voortrekker,
You were there in June 08 when someone had that high-dollar personal weather station and it was 118 in the shade. I think I remeber seeing the devil himself walking around with a sweatband on. >:D