News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla Appleseed July 24, what to bring?

Started by Nerf, July 05, 2010, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerf

The fiancée and I are pretty excited to be attending our first appleseed here in a few weeks, but we're trying to figure out what to bring.

So far our 10/22s are getting packed, and we're planning on picking up a tent, cooler, some yoga mats for the prone shooting, an air mattress and sleeping bags.

What else are we missing?  Neither of the 10/22s have slings, and I'm honestly not sure how to get one on as they don't have attachments for it.  I read that the campsite in davilla has a covered wood stove, so we don't need to bring any BBQ stuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated, we don't want to show up underprepared, but we'd prefer to not blow a bunch of money and be far overprepared either.

dragit

http://appleseedshoot.blogspot.com/2008/03/what-to-bring-to-shoot.html

It will be hot unless it is raining, then it will be hot and rainy **).  So bring a lot of water.  We also provide water on the line during shooting.  You will need your own in the evening and morning.

Long sleeve shirts and pants (not shorts) that are loose and not low slung (in the chest or around the waist) to wear while shooting (saves you from burning brass).  Hot brass will go down the front of your shirt, the back of your shirt, and down the back of your pants.  I have seen and felt it at every shoot.  A bandana to put under your hat to protect the back of your neck from the same.

Better to be overprepared for hot weather than underprepared.

If you forget or need something, do not worry people at these shoots are friendly and willing to share.

Welcome to your first, and hopefully not your last, Appleseed.  I think you will like it and have a great time.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

mtbrass

I bet you get lots of replies to this question. I have been to 2 appleseeds and had a lot of questions and still do.  But for starters take some eye and ear protection, take about 250 rounds of ammo per gun per day you plan to attend.  Take some of you favorite pain relief stuff, not to scare anyone off but two days of shooting in different positions can cause a few aches and pains.  Some staples and stapler, depending on the back stop the slap one might not work instead the kind you squeeze - they usually have these but having an extra as well as a pen or marker is handy.

As far as the sling, people use regular slings but the one you will probably want is the military sling, if you search around on the board you will find lots of info on them, they are 1 and 1/4 inches wide I think so if you do get the swivels make sure they are the ones that will fit that wider sling you will save a lot of aggravation if you get that set up eventually.  If you can't do that yet don't worry you will still have fun. I went to my first shoot without any of that stuff, just the ear and eye protection, guns and ammo. Had a blast and went back after picking up a few items and a box to put it all in.

You will also want to get an extra clip for each 10/22 as well.  I am sure there is more if I think of it I will post. Take a teachable attitude and you will learn much and have fun doing it.

Also a screw driver, my 10/22 gets a little loose after a few hundred rounds.  One other thing, I use a tarp to go under my mat that I lay on, just keeps some of the dirt and stuff down, also easy to see stuff on the tarp depending on what surface the range is, and I always case my rifle to and from the line. O0

starfox

Hi Nerf!

Wonderful you will be attending an Appleseed!  Here are some of my recommendations as a veteran of camping at Davilla.

Yoga mats will do ok for your first Appleseed.  Ask if any instructors who will be there have any loaner shooting mats.  For future, these are good if you get them on sale ($25).
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=169107

For slings on the 10/22, get a set of Uncle Mike's quick detachable swivels.  Unscrew the factory sling swivels from the 10/22 (depending on your model), and install these.  This will allow you to detach your sling easily.  If your 10/22 has no sling studs, you can predrill a hole in the stock and install the Uncle Mike's.  You can get these at almost any sporting goods stores.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=705310

Get a USGI sling for each.  If you don't have any, the instructors should have loaners.

Not sure where the covered wood stove reference came from, but I'm not aware of it.  Best to bring a propane stove if you have one and want a hot meal.  Pack enough ice in your cooler.  There's a convenience store in Rogers where you can get more after Saturday day.

As for other stuff.  Sun screen is a must.  So is bug spray.  There is a shower on site, and I recommend using it, but bring your soap, towel, and other sundries.  It's a wet up, turn off, lather up, turn on and rinse off kind of setup.  There is an outhouse there so bring your own toilet paper roll and wet wipes just to be sure.

Bring plenty of water.  You will need to hydrate heavily.  We do a runner's trick of mixing 8 oz of pedialyte with 24oz of water to stay hydrated and replenish electrolytes.   Bring more water than you think you need.  A pallet of 16oz bottles will be a minimum.

Bring a hat and bandana with you to protect your neck/head from the sun. 

Two bricks of 22 ammo should be enough for both of you for the weekend.  Cleaning supplies and appropriate tools to strip your 10/22 are a plus if your 10/22 starts acting up after getting gunked up.

Hope this helps.  My wife and I were where you are now just a scant year ago.  Enjoy the weekend, be prepared to be challenged, inspired, and thrilled.  You will have a great time amongst great company.

-Andrew

Quote from: Nerf on July 05, 2010, 08:55:33 PM
The fiancée and I are pretty excited to be attending our first appleseed here in a few weeks, but we're trying to figure out what to bring.

So far our 10/22s are getting packed, and we're planning on picking up a tent, cooler, some yoga mats for the prone shooting, an air mattress and sleeping bags.

What else are we missing?  Neither of the 10/22s have slings, and I'm honestly not sure how to get one on as they don't have attachments for it.  I read that the campsite in davilla has a covered wood stove, so we don't need to bring any BBQ stuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated, we don't want to show up underprepared, but we'd prefer to not blow a bunch of money and be far overprepared either.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Scout

Quote from: starfox on July 06, 2010, 12:06:19 AM
  My wife and I were where you are now just a scant year ago.  Enjoy the weekend, be prepared to be challenged, inspired, and thrilled.  You will have a great time amongst great company.

-Andrew

And now one year later Andrew and Lauren are two of my most depended on instructors. Not just for the work they do off the line. But because they understand that the real work of Appleseed takes place between the end of the Appleseed Shoot on Sunday night, and the beginning of the next shoot on Saturday morrning.

That is where Andrew and Lauren excell. :)

Good advice from Andrew and the rest. Spend as little as possible until you attend an event. We have carpets you can use to lay on. There is a primitive shower and an outhouse there. Pocket snacks are good. Sandwiches are better than having to cook something. If you have to cook something, better to have a gas grill than an open fire. We do not allow any open fires during fire ban days (now). As dry as it is, the fire would be out and eating up your campsite, vehicle and equipment before you could pass the salt.

Bug spray to spray around your tent might be good. Once ants get in the tent they are in for the duration. Keep any clothes you have worn outside the tent as the salt in the clothes will draw a few hundred at a time to the sweat salt.

You can also call me at 254-then 217-remove1325 and I can answer any questions you have in real time. I look forwadr to seeing you at Davilla. I will be in New york this next shoot in July, but I will be there for the rest of the shoots of the year when I get back. God bless you all and God bless Texas
Scout 

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

CaptG

If you have one of those pop-up canopies for shade, bring it. Also a couple of lawn chairs to relax in during breaks and history. A few snack bars for during the day come in handy. Lots & lots of fluids.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

Baminal

I was at the May shoot, and yes, it was a bit warm, so now that its July all that heat related stuff is very important.

But in addition to that, I'd also like to emphasize bringing a healthy dose of open-mindedness so you can really hear what these fine instructors have to say.  Not only will you learn a ton about shooting accurately, but some important history as well.

I have been shooting all my walking life, so it took me a while in May to unlearn some old habits before my score started climbing.  I'll be there in July as well so see just how well I've replaced my old weaknesses with new strengths.

I'll see you there  :---

Baminal
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)

Scout

Hey guys, Fred has agreed to help us put some cover on the firing line in Davilla. How many of you can help me do this once it cools down? I will start a new thread on this-or better yet, Lauren will if she does not mind.

We want to cover the Davilla firing line so we will need all the help we can get. Lauren can you start a new thread and ask folks if they would be willing to show up and help cover the line this fall after it cools down?

This will sure help us out in the summer shoots and in the winter rain storms. We about froze this last year, ask Alonso1  :) ;)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

doubleLL

Scout: I got the message and don't mind scheduling another weekend. I even made it easy and created a poll, so all we have to do is vote for 2 weekends.

Nerf- You and your wife will have a great time. I really enjoy going out to Davilla for the weekend. Our first Appleseed was my first time to shoot. The instructors were fantastic. They helped me out and worked with me the whole time. I hope you both have a great weekend and thanks for coming out.  :)
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

starfox

Quote from: Scout on July 09, 2010, 01:56:27 AM
This will sure help us out in the summer shoots and in the winter rain storms. We about froze this last year, ask Alonso1  :) ;)

Yeah, but Alonso freezes any time the needle drops below 60 degrees, rain or shine.   **)

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

mtbrass

One other thing I learned not to forget- a comfortable lawn chair - depending on seating when I go I always take my own just in case - can always sit on the ground but a chair is the way my old body prefers it. :)

Nerf

Finally remembered to officially register, so we'll definitely be there - if we leave Dallas as soon as we got off of work Friday we won't be arriving until around midnight on Saturday, should we plan on finding a hotel on the way or are we not going to bother anyone by showing up late to camp?

spitstickler

There will probably be people still up chatting and be glad to help you set up your tent. Since it's going to be dark when you get there, if you want a detailed map of the location send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the specifics.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Baminal

I don't know about after midnight, but until then I'm a pretty decent flashlight holder so bring it on.
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.

GarandPa

Nerf,
I shot at Shreveport in late June and have a few tips
1) Towel or something to cover the rifle when you ground it. My black Marlin can raise blisters if it soaks in the sun.
2) Long sleeves or soft elbow pads. I shot in a short sleeve shirt and bistered/tore skin off my left elbow from abrasion.
3) Cold/wet wrap for your neck. I re-soaked a bandana and tied it around my neck - REALLY cools and keeps sunburn and hot brass off your neck.
4) Liquid! I drank nearly 2 gallons Gatorade/water each day. Could have used more!
5) HAT! Boonie caps are the deal for cool sun protection. Won't work well with ear muffs - earplugs OK
6) Workable sights - I am an old guy why struggles to see the front post (= can't see it). I must have optics for a sharp reference point. Many others add optics to their Liberty Training Rifle. Not an unfair advantage - If you don't have do the fundamentals you won't shoot rifleman with ANY combination.

Appleseed lines will have all levels of shooting expertise - beginners to able marksmen - everyone is welcome. They also have helpful and caring people who will loan you anything they have, give helpful instruction and STICK with you. Something about "we are all in this together".

The instructors are TOP-NOTCH. Very sound in marksmanship and heritage and how to teach them. I saw one in tears as he shared about the sacrifices of the patriots. REAL concern, real dedication. No fakes. It takes a LOT of sacrifice to get an orange or red hat and WORK, WORK, WORK for the cause.

Welcome to both great challenges - marksmanship and preserving our heritage.

Nerf

So we're ordering/picking up all the stuff we need, and I've got a question on slings:

Will a single-point sling work, or do I need to drill rear studs and go for a standard sling with 2 attachment points?

Thanks for all the info you guys have given so far, we really just want to be prepared to get the most out of this.

starfox

For the standing position, you will probably want front and rear sling mounts.  If you have the hardware, I recommend drilling and installing the rear mounts.  Don't worry if the slings you have are not ideal. The instructors will likely have loaners or be able to make whatever you have work.

Hope this helps and enjoy your first Appleseed!

Quote from: Nerf on July 17, 2010, 01:00:48 AM
So we're ordering/picking up all the stuff we need, and I've got a question on slings:

Will a single-point sling work, or do I need to drill rear studs and go for a standard sling with 2 attachment points?

Thanks for all the info you guys have given so far, we really just want to be prepared to get the most out of this.

Davilla 3-10

Baminal

Davilla site question: I know about the shower, but is there potable water available? ???

Last time I brought all mine but it would be easier with an accessible hose bib.

CaptG

Pot water is only available up at the house.
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

ghostrider

:)I have been there two times at Davilla for appleseeds. One time cold and the other hot. I would highly recommend bring extra water,(whether cold or hot you will need the water) a lot of sun screen, a popup canopy, a good hat, lawn chairs, insect spray, some duck tape and some cardboard (just in case you have to build up your stock for a proper cheek weld), gun cleaning materials, along with some gun tools for your weapon, and elbow pads. I enjoyed the instruction at Davilla, and you should have a great time, with great people. Have fun.
As always in honor of those willing
to take a stand for justice, with the
sword of freedom.

"This We'll Defend"

www.8thtxcav.org

Baminal

Hey Nerf, glad you and your soon-to-be-better-half made it down for the shoot.

Now that you've been there, I'm sure we'll see you again with your own inverter for that fabric cabin you brought.

C-ya then

Grumpy

I put my extension cord back in my truck when I got home, so you won't have to park the car "inside" the tent. ;D

I'm looking forward to next month.
Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.

Nerf

We'll definitely be making some gear changes next time, but I don't think we'll do another full two days, we're just a couple of city slickers and it was a bit too much heat and grit with not enough showering and AC.  I'm all about coming down for a sunday though, hopefully that range in Dallas gets everything settled so we don't have to drive so far!

Grumpy: I'll PM you my info so you can drop in and snag those AR mags off of me.

Grumpy

Hey, y'all survived.

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger" ~~:)

See y'all next month. ( Steph...you are doin' the cookin')

plinker

Quote from: Nerf on July 27, 2010, 12:33:38 AM
We'll definitely be making some gear changes next time, but I don't think we'll do another full two days, we're just a couple of city slickers and it was a bit too much heat and grit with not enough showering and AC.  I'm all about coming down for a sunday though, hopefully that range in Dallas gets everything settled so we don't have to drive so far!

Grumpy: I'll PM you my info so you can drop in and snag those AR mags off of me.

Nerf,

Mark your calender because it looks like the Dallas shoot is going to happen on March 5th and 6th at Quail Creek.  Doublell and I and the rest of the DIVA WOW organization are working diligently on this.  Keep an eye out for future announcements!

plinker

Grumpy

One more thought.....

Anyone in the DFW area that wants to carpool next month, let me know.
I've got a four door truck, I can haul LOTS of gear.