News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KDC

Started by sparks1, July 05, 2010, 12:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks1

KDC
Been reading Fred's thoughts on KD's being done on Sundays, if possible. Florida talks about doing a KDC (Known Distance Clinic) for instructors on a weekend not scheduled for Appleseeds.

I know I could benefit greatly from a clinic like this. Is this a possibility for the Mn. instructors? Don't know of a range oppportunity for this kind of instruction, but seems to me to be a good idea.

Any thoughts on this ?

Duh !!! Forgot the range in Princeton would be ideal for this. 100>500yds with target frames at each distance. (Shot some LR stuff there last winter) Can't do KD Appleseeds in the summer, as he has trap leagues going and it takes up the rifle range. Could do some 25yd AS's tho.
Also has some warming house trailers for winter and a barrel stove outside them. They shoot LR all winter starting in Dec. through Apr. Mostly Bench rest guys with high buck rigs. Good shooters though. I've seen 1 1/4 groups at 500yds with a 6.5/284 bench gun.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

javaguy

I could really benefit from this too - Princeton would be perfect.  Duluth has 300 yds.

vmt193

That's exactly what we need. Sparks, Can you check into the possibility of using the range?

vmt

sparks1

I will make the inquiries. We will probably have to pay a range fee, since none of us are members.

I will get back to you on this.

(John Maxwell)

PHenry

Good Gentlemen,
Allow me to offer you everything that I have for running such an event, from a proven POI, to the hand outs and instructor guide.

Don't need to be an expert - just follow the POI and watch what happens.

Yours for the asking - just PM me with an Email addy and I will send as attachments.

I can tell you, this concept has afforded Florida instructors a leg up on teaching KD, by doing it themselves and is a great chance for some camaraderie as well.

Rock on!

PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

sparks1

Moderator>>>>>>>Move to appropriate forum, if necessary.

PHenry sent me the POI for a KDC...Thanks, perusing it after I write this range follow-up.

Ken @ WestBranch Gun Club, Princeton Mn., returned my call about holding a KDC at their range. I contacted him since I shot some LR there last winter. They only hold LR shooting in the winter (Starting in Dec.) because there are trap leagues going through the summer, and the shotgun range is perpendicular to the rifle range. I believe their trap leagues are their highest source of income. Also the pistol range is at a somewhat oblique to being downrange of the rifle range, so for safety no LR rifle shooting during the summer.

The range gets pretty busy from late Sept. through Nov. deer season. after that it is pretty open for LR shooting. But...Ken takes a couple months from Oct to Dec out of state for vacation. so we have somewhat of a scheduling problem. Nothing that we cannot work out though.

Ken says he can shut down the shotgun and pistol stuff for us and we would have the entire range for a KD shoot. Cost would be $10.00 to $20.00 each for the day, depending on if he has to cancel some trap league or similiar event. He is willing to work with us on this. He also said it would be best to get it before Oct. 1st and his vacation.

I told Ken that I would have to put this information out for our instructors to think over and come to some conclusion about dates to hold it. I also told him I have no idea as to attendance figures, could be 6 people could be 20+ ( you know those people from across the border would like to horn in) but I see no problem  since we do the LR bench stuff (informal) with 20 to 30 people.

So...the classromm part of the clinic could be done somewhere else, and then do a day at the range doing the actual shooting. I would imagine the two should be as close to each other as possible, like an IBC and AS, to retain the most information. Cost is not prohibitive, I think. WBGC (West Branch Gun Club) seems to be quite willing to accomadate us in this. O0 I would need your ideas and feedback to go farther. AS scheduling and personal schedules will have to be looked at and pick a couple dates to run by Ken to see if they would work with WBGC. I don't know if a Senior Instructor needs to be here for it (wouldn't hurt to have the expertise) or not. Again availibility could be an issue. (schedules)

Ken is also aware we do position shooting, and had in mind starting 100yds from the 500yd targets and moving back each 100yds till we got to 500yd shooting. Don't know how this would work for us, but I wanted to throw it out there so all would know what was talked about.

Thanks everyone in advance for wading in here. do some posting, phoning each other, texting if you do that stuff. Come up with your ideas and lets learn some KD instruction and have some fun with our battle rifles.

Sparks1

(John Maxwell)

AZOpie

Count me in - I would love to see that information. We are trying to put one together next month in AZ.

PM sent...

Quote from: PHenry on July 06, 2010, 06:41:06 PM
Good Gentlemen,
Allow me to offer you everything that I have for running such an event, from a proven POI, to the hand outs and instructor guide.

Don't need to be an expert - just follow the POI and watch what happens.

Yours for the asking - just PM me with an Email addy and I will send as attachments.

I can tell you, this concept has afforded Florida instructors a leg up on teaching KD, by doing it themselves and is a great chance for some camaraderie as well.

Rock on!

PH

PHenry

Info sent. I will offer an on-line assistance I can to make it a success.

It's a great event - good skills improvement for both teaching and shooting, as well as some fun for all.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

vmt193

Not a lot of open days in the period from now till Oct. Here's the schedule:

July   10   
   17   Hinckley
   24   Duluth
   31   Elk River
Aug.   7   
   14   Hinckley
   21   Rochester
Sept.   4   Winona
   11   Marshall
   25   Hinckley
Oct   2   Duluth

sparks1

I'm guessing that by a full schedule, it means Dec. or so. I know WBGC will be GTG then.

(John Maxwell)

sparks1

Maybe do a Winterseed. Wisconsin can't be the only one around, and we can up the game for our neighbors. We will have to see,

(John Maxwell)

AFTERMATH

Quote from: sparks1 on July 11, 2010, 12:44:33 AM
Maybe do a Winterseed. Wisconsin can't be the only one around, and we can up the game for our neighbors. We will have to see,

!!!  We were the first to get Nov. and Dec. on the shedule this year!
Take that WI!!!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

vmt193

FYI: The August date in La Crosse didn't fly.