News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

French and Indian Wars

Started by sparks1, July 03, 2010, 10:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks1

For a good account of the period leading up to our Revolution, I just read the first two books of a series by Alan W. Eckert. 1st was the "Frontiersman" , the second was " Wilderness Empire" which is a narrative of the wars from journals and historical records of the time. I got them from a used book store for about $2.00 a copy.

I would highly recommend " Wilderness Empire " to any reader wanting to get a feel for the hardships and thoughts of people living just prior to the revolution. It also chonologically follows the opening of the Ohio wilderness and the subsequent fight for control of the territory by the French and British. The use and manipulation of the Indian tribes is very informative and gives a good picture of what the settlers and militia had to endure to stay alive during Indian attacks.

Now I am moving on to "Patriots  Then men Who Started the American Revolution" A.J. Langguth. So far quite interesting with more insight to the personal lives of our founders. Another one I recommend.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

martin

Thanks Sparks you're right they are all excellent reads ,,,,, it's my understanding that Eckert won a Pulitzer for the
research he did on this series of books.

The whole series include;     Frontiersman
                                         Wilderness Empire
                                         Conquerors
                                         Wilderness War
                                         Gateway to Empire

Another good read ,,,,Crucible of War by Fred Anderson       The Seven Year's War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754 - 1766
Martin

Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is,there is liberty. 2Corinthians 3:17

Seek the Truth

"We in America do not have a government by the majority-we have a government by the majority who participate....All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson

Old Dog

Many folks don't realize the purpose of the militias was the defense of the people/property of the locality where the militia was formed.  Prior to April 19th, 1775 it had been for defense against the French and Indians who had many times attempted to block expansion of the frontiers or push them back.

The colonists had found out from bitter experience that they could not depend on the regular army troops to defend them from the French and Indians except in certain circumstances.  They had also found out that sometimes when they fought and obtained a victory the British Government would negotiate away their gains in the colonies for advantages somewhere else.

Reading about their experiences prior to start of the war is the best way to understand what made them the people they were on April 19th.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

sparks1

I was incredulous with the research Eckert did and how factual the books were. For instance scalping was a common fact with the colonists, in fact they were paid a bounty by the local councils. Another interesting fact...Indians on the warpath would dismember captives and eat them. Since they were raiding and not hunting they had to have some sort of food. I never knew this was fact, only rumor, but it goes to show the horrors faced by settlers in the wilderness. Not to mention the tortures awaiting them if captured by warring tribes. Not good , not good.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I am looking for the next in the series by Eckert to continue the series.

I would agree that reading pre war accounts will give one pause to think of what was endured by the colonists. Which is why I started more reading. I am of the understanding that the next will deal with the fall of the 6 Nations and Tecumseh, along with many other historical figures. The British sure played gains by the colonists to their advantage. As long as it stood for gains for the Crown it was done.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)