News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Big Reno Gun Show--8/13-15/10--Reno

Started by gglovesguns, June 30, 2010, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gglovesguns

Hey Everybody!

The Big Reno Gun Show is scheduled for August 13-15th this year. Appleseed forum member V was able to get a donated table-space from the promoter of this event last year (See this post http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14743.msg122992#msg122992 and this post http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11355.0). I'm focusing on the Crossroads Show. Is there anyone interested in focusing in on The Big Reno show?

Antibubba

I simply won't be able to afford to come up for this one, barring a miracle.   :( 
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

gglovesguns

Quote from: Antibubba on June 30, 2010, 06:17:43 PM
I simply won't be able to afford to come up for this one, barring a miracle.   :( 

I feel ya. I recently missed a shoot up in Fallon because I spent all of my money going to the Gardnerville shoot just a month prior. Darn money!

arashi

It is worth it.  The last Gardnerville shoot proved it.  48 on the line and it was sold out 2 weeks early.

I can commit to at least Saturday or Sunday.  Friday was a bust.

Antibubba

With as many as Gardnerville brought in you should have no trouble getting staffed.  You got email addresses from the participants, right?
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

gglovesguns

Quote from: arashi on July 01, 2010, 01:47:27 AM
It is worth it.  The last Gardnerville shoot proved it.  48 on the line and it was sold out 2 weeks early.

I can commit to at least Saturday or Sunday.  Friday was a bust.

Do you mind contacting the show to ask for a table?

desertrat144

I've posted a late reply to a member, and a bit of what to expect and brace for at the Big Reno Show at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14743.0
QuoteIt's Sunday, post show, and I'm just now checking the thread, and found the offer to assist.  Thank you! even if its after the fact.  If you can hook up with anyone doing the Big Reno Show please do.

I did some some talking about Appleseed on a limited basis, as the Cross Roads was loaded with political action types.  It's election time, so no one is safe!  From what I saw groups are trying to 'do something' but not sure what they are doing; they're reacting for the sake of reacting.  At least they're off the couch and at large in public.   O0

These groups mean well but are locked in a group think or pack mentality, so any types of questioning or reasoning can start to get ugly quickly.  I sure the Big Reno Show will be a real test for everyone there- the more internal support Appleseed can muster up and have present there will be a great help.

Folks (all genres) are looking to this show, as it marks the end of summer, and is the last major show in N. NV (Oct. Cross Roads Show excepted) before the elections, so be ready for it!  If the potential wasn't so scarey, it would be hilarious!

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

gglovesguns

That was me with the late offer for the show this last weekend. I was all ready to help out, I was so excited. Then, my boyfriend proposed to me, my car broke down and the water heater died. I said yes, the car is still broken and we only finally got hot water today (about an hour ago)! Life just really threw me for a loop there. I'm ready for some calm times ahead. Does anyone have any plans for this gun show?

gglovesguns

Quote from: Antibubba on July 01, 2010, 11:37:40 AM
With as many as Gardnerville brought in you should have no trouble getting staffed.  You got email addresses from the participants, right?

Good idea! I don't remember putting my email address down when I signed in at the Gardnerville shoot, but it was my first shoot and I was a bit distracted! Is there a way to make a post here in the Appleseed forum where only the keeper of the email list can see responses? Then we can all post our emails without them being seen by the whole wide world. This could help bulk up our email database which we can use to communicate shoot news, volunteer opportunities, etc.

V

Hover over the little envelope icon over there <==== and you can see people's emails.
                                                ^
Or click on members up there | and you can hover over dozens of mail icons to collect emails of those who publish them.

There's a list? Put me on it :)

gglovesguns

Quote from: V on July 26, 2010, 11:52:38 PM
Hover over the little envelope icon over there <==== and you can see people's emails.
                                                ^
Or click on members up there | and you can hover over dozens of mail icons to collect emails of those who publish them.

There's a list? Put me on it :)

Nice! Thanks for the tip, V, and for offering to be our first victim volunteer for a Nevada Appleseed email list. Now, do you know if there is a way to sort the Members list by state? If I could do that, I could get a decent list going using your hover technique.

featherblue

"With as many as Gardnerville brought in you should have no trouble getting staffed."

The G'ville shoot was a success in numbers due to the people who handed out literature at the show/shows just prior to the shoot----thank you! I handed out a total of two fliers for that shoot at a new gun store in G'ville. (BULLSEYE NEVADA). Check them out!!!

Consequently, we have shooters at our range almost weekly now. AND it is free.

-fb
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

eaglescouter

August 13-15th Reno:  Who's heading this one up?
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

eaglescouter

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

desertrat144

As much as I'd like to do this one too, I can't at this time.  About the worst part is getting 'signed in' the day before- the left hand doesn't know what the right foot is doing.  ;D  The fun part is watching all the big egos getting leveled.  You take your entertainment where you find it!  **)

Tablewise, all you need is cover for the flat surface and it [mostly] reaches the floor.  Some AS Fliers, a bunch of Red Coat & AQT targets, any AS Videos (already produced) something to play them on, and an extension cord (some duct tape wouldn't hurt too).  All folks 'up to speed' about AS positions on marksmanship v. Founder's Original Intent v. the current 'pack mentality' [of the Git Rid of 'Em All] groups.

Other than that, it's a walk in park.  :---

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Jet Set

I'm out of the country and can't do it.

Regarding the list of things to bring, note that the extension cord is touchy.  We are supposed to pay if we plug into the wall, and the hotel has people roaming around looking for people plugging in.  Last time, I brought a 12V power pack to run a portable DVD player.

Quote from: desertrat144 on August 04, 2010, 05:50:44 PM
As much as I'd like to do this one too, I can't at this time.  About the worst part is getting 'signed in' the day before- the left hand doesn't know what the right foot is doing.  ;D  The fun part is watching all the big egos getting leveled.  You take your entertainment where you find it!  **)

Tablewise, all you need is cover for the flat surface and it [mostly] reaches the floor.  Some AS Fliers, a bunch of Red Coat & AQT targets, any AS Videos (already produced) something to play them on, and an extension cord (some duct tape wouldn't hurt too).  All folks 'up to speed' about AS positions on marksmanship v. Founder's Original Intent v. the current 'pack mentality' [of the Git Rid of 'Em All] groups.

Other than that, it's a walk in park.  :---

Tom

desertrat144

QuoteRegarding the list of things to bring, note that the extension cord is touchy.

That's quite true.  I forgot about having a bye on that as I was on my scooter.  mea culpa.

Tom

NorCal22Gal

Is any one going to have a table there?  Eaglescouter and I will not be able to be there all weekend.  Work kinda cuts in to that.  If there is going to be a table we would like to help out on Saturday for a few hrs.

gglovesguns

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 05, 2010, 03:03:48 PM
Is any one going to have a table there?  Eaglescouter and I will not be able to be there all weekend.  Work kinda cuts in to that.  If there is going to be a table we would like to help out on Saturday for a few hrs.

I've emailed Lou for a table... Just waiting on a response. Once we get a table, then what? I've not done this before...

gglovesguns

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on August 05, 2010, 03:03:48 PM

Lou emailed me back. Demand for tables at the show must have been intense this year. He said he doesn't have room for us. Does anyone know a store or organization who would be willing to share tables with us?

eaglescouter

How about sharing the NRA booth which is next to the booth that sells the admission tickets?  The booth is normally very large and mostly empty.....

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

gglovesguns

Quote from: eaglescouter on August 06, 2010, 04:04:33 PM
How about sharing the NRA booth which is next to the booth that sells the admission tickets?  The booth is normally very large and mostly empty.....

Sounds good to me! Do you know how to contact them so that we can talk to them about sharing their space?

gglovesguns

Someone on the forum offered to buy us a table inside of the show and I contacted Lou to see about doing that. He said that he doesn't want us to have to pay since we're a nonprofit, but he's had so many requests for freebies from nonprofits that he's getting burned out. He wants me to call him tomorrow at the office and talk to him more about the program. He's not sure what Appleseed is or what we do.

I'M SCARED.

Does anyone want to call Lou for me? haha. Or if not, does anyone have any help that they could give me? A script, some talking points, the dos and don'ts of talking about Appleseed? etc. This is WAAY out of my comfort zone!

Thanks~
GG

V

I emailed and phoned to get the original free foyer desk from Lou, he's a friendly guy, I just told him we are a non-profit and pointed him to the website, etc., just like telling a friend about appleseed and he said we looked great and volunteered the table.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about "formally" representing Appleseed or anything, you are just a fellow gun enthusiast asking a favor of a friend for an organization about which you tell 'em what you know.

You'll be fine.

Cheers
V

gglovesguns

Quote from: V on August 09, 2010, 01:39:59 AM
I emailed and phoned to get the original free foyer desk from Lou, he's a friendly guy, I just told him we are a non-profit and pointed him to the website, etc., just like telling a friend about appleseed and he said we looked great and volunteered the table.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about "formally" representing Appleseed or anything, you are just a fellow gun enthusiast asking a favor of a friend for an organization about which you tell 'em what you know.

You'll be fine.

Cheers
V

I pointed him to the website and he did take a look at it. He says he remembers us from before, but that he's still not sure what we do. I'm not sure what we do either! But I know I went to a shoot and I liked it, so I'll try to draw from that when I'm talking to him. Thanks for calming me down! I get nervous easily.  :)

V

Bob 210's elevator speech is attached to the message here

Develop your own elevator speech. (The term comes form what can you say to someone you strike up a converstation with in an elevator between your floor and where they get off - you gotta get it down specific and quick.)

Cheers
Phil

Quote from: gglovesguns on August 09, 2010, 01:43:04 AM
Quote from: V on August 09, 2010, 01:39:59 AM

You'll be fine.

Cheers
V

I pointed him to the website and he did take a look at it. He says he remembers us from before, but that he's still not sure what we do. I'm not sure what we do either! But I know I went to a shoot and I liked it, so I'll try to draw from that when I'm talking to him. Thanks for calming me down! I get nervous easily.  :)

gglovesguns

Okay everyone!!! I just got off of the phone with Lou. I jogged his memory about our program and he is willing to provide us with a FREE table. We'll be in the foyer next to where the Republican party has their table. Set up begins on Friday at 8 a.m. and we'll have the table all three days. I need help staffing the table!  :sos: Please post the times you are available to come help. The hours are Fri and Sat 9 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m.-3 p.m.

desertrat144

Quote...next to where the Republican party has their table.

Try to create some distance from them, given their candidate, Tea Party fixation, &c. 

In the foyer there is no prohibitions on various media recording, or expectations to privacy, so any Appleseeders could wind up being shown as being politically driven.

They have done this to other individuals and organizations.  Beware.

I'm not trying to hammer any Party, but this group has demonstrated a lack of concern for some of the rules.

Tom

gglovesguns

Okay riflemen and riflewomen, this is what we have so far:

Friday (show hours 9 a.m.-6 p.m.):
4p.m.-6 p.m.- Mr. gglovesguns

Saturday (show hours 9 a.m.-6 p.m.):
9 a.m.- 6 p.m. gglovesguns
Unknown time- NorCal22Gal
Unknown time- eaglescouter

Sunday (show hours 9 a.m.-3 p.m.):
Unknown time- NorCal22Gal
Unknown time- eaglescouter

We still need help staffing the Appleseed table! Especially Friday and Sunday. Please step up, Northern Nevada. Right now, California is doing more for the Big Reno show than we are.

featherblue

"I pointed him to the website and he did take a look at it. He says he remembers us from before, but that he's still not sure what we do. I'm not sure what we do either! But I know I went to a shoot and I liked it, so I'll try to draw from that when I'm talking to him. Thanks for calming me down! I get nervous easily."

If someone wants to know what Appleseed is about, or what we do, the answer is very simple. We introduce new shooters and revive the interest of current shooters to their heritage. That being rifle marksmanship and American history as it was back in April 19th, 1775. Not too complicated an answer.  :)

-fb

�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."