News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

La Crosse, WI June 26-27, 2010

Started by colycat, June 25, 2010, 11:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colycat

Just got back from checking out the range and visiting with board member Dennis and his family.  A beautiful range nestled in a valley.  We will be using the pistol range on Saturday and both the pistol and main range on Sunday.  The main range is 600 yards, with pits and a mountain for a back drop.  OK, its not really a mountain, but its a pretty big hill.  It will do nicely.

The weather will be on the warm side tomorrow with a Chance of showers.  We have a nice cover over head for showers if needed and a new club house.

See you all in the morning O0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

dragonfly

I have heard nothing but great things about this range. I can hardly wait.

See you all soon   :~ :~ O0 O0 O0

dragonfly  Keeping the Faith 
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Old Glory!

Day 1

31 students
2 Rifleman
88 degrees, not any kind of dry heat either  :P  -  that Winterseed is looking pretty comfortable  8)

Thanks for coming out and persevering.  See ya'll tomorrow.

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

EEL

OG,
Were I a bettin' man.....I'd say that fella shot a 210 on purpose!  **)  You Wisconsonites are pretty crafty that way!

Looks like a great range to be at.  How far north is that, by the way  :cool2:  Just askin'......pay it no mind  >:D

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Mogget

Hi EEL,

LaCrosse is, in fact, a very pretty range.  It's a bit far, however, for you folks in southern Wisconsin to travel on a normal two-day weekend.   ::)

Mogs

Mogget

As Old Glory's pictures demonstrate, LaCrosse's range is a beautiful place with AD out to 600 and a very, very nice clubhouse.  Argh, the heat, though.  Since it rained Friday night, when the sun came out on Saturday it was...challenging.  In fact, we found ourselves irresistibly drawn toward thoughts of a nice, cool, WinterSeed.  Ah, to be laying in eighteen inches of snow under a bright January sun with an ambient temperature of about fifteen degrees!  

Anyway, back in reality...here are some pix for those of you who couldn't make this shoot.

We enjoyed the company of six or so young men from Iowa.  Keep workin' on those Mosins, guys!

And then there was Jo!

Here's Michelle, oh so close with that 206.  Too bad she couldn't come back on Sunday   :-[

Waiting anxiously to see if Mark made his patch today...

And finally, here's Gerad

EEL

Mogs,

I was thinkin' more on the line of annexation  ;)  It IS a fine looking range!

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

mpthole

Hey everyone - this is Mark. :)

I didn't make Rifleman today - but I did learn a lot over the weekend and want to thank all of you for doing what you do.  With some practice between now and the next one... who knows?  Maybe if we host that "winterseed", I'll be able to pull it together.

Thanks again.

Mark

Blue Five

Love the photos, I'm sure there are more to come.  I had a great time, and many thanks to all those who put time and effort into organizing this.  I may not have made rifleman, but I learned a lot and plan on practicing what I learned.

This is a very important program and I believe it is important for our country.

Thanks again for all the hard work colycat, Old Glory!, and others put into this.

Nathan
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Blue Five

Quote from: EEL on June 27, 2010, 09:23:20 PM
Mogs,

I was thinkin' more on the line of annexation  ;)  It IS a fine looking range!

EEL

No annexation allowed  :P

It is a very nice range though...I hope more of these shoots can be held out here
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Mogget

Here is the Wisconsin area of the forum:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5381.0

This is the place to go to get answers to your questions about 'Seeds in Wisconsin as well as to get in on the secret plans to invade Illinois.    ;D

Mogs

And actually, you guys in the LaCrosse area should also check-in with the MN folks, as well.  There's a shoot in Winona on Labor Day weekend, I know, and there may be others.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=198.0

Blue Five

Quote from: Mogget on June 27, 2010, 10:48:21 PM
Here is the Wisconsin area of the forum:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5381.0

This is the place to go to get answers to your questions about 'Seeds in Wisconsin as well as to get in on the secret plans to invade Illinois.    ;D

Mogs

Thanks Mogs!

vmt193

mpthole, Blue 5

You guys let me know when you plan to get a nice day (with temps in the mid 60s) and I'll sneak down and we can do a few practice AQTs. &) I'll let you get a little revenge and run the stop watch on me .......... maybe. ~~:)

mike

AFTERMATH

Sure looks to me to be a fine range sporting a fine group of Americans! O0
Looks as though all went well!
Congratulations to those who made Riflemen; and to those who will.  Dry-fire!

Say, being so close to the MN boarder....  I'm just a thinkin' well I'm sure you'll keep me up to speed...

Aftermath, out

P.S.  Mike,  Was the infiltration a success?  We sure could use some buffer territory.  ::)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

EEL

Blue Five

Quote from: vmt193 on June 27, 2010, 10:59:09 PM
mpthole, Blue 5

You guys let me know when you plan to get a nice day (with temps in the mid 60s) and I'll sneak down and we can do a few practice AQTs. &) I'll let you get a little revenge and run the stop watch on me .......... maybe. ~~:)

mike

That'd be great.  I will keep that in mind.

professor gun

After following the different reports out there about Appleseed shoots, I proposed to the La Crosse Rifle Club that we host one.  We had overwhelming support from members because of the excellent reputation of the Appleseed organization.  The group of instructors with Colycat as the shoot boss put on an exceptional clinic this weekend, beyond our expectations.  I was curious how the history of April 18 and 19, 1775 could be woven into a rifle marksmanship clinic with any relevance and thoroughly enjoyed the historical presentations that challenge all of us to live up to the gift of liberty given us by our ancestors.
My wife and two sons attended the Appleseed at the La Crosse Rifle Club this weekend with me; all of us learned a lot and were challenged to improve our skills with the rifle.  We are very impressed with the Appleseed instructors we worked with.
Hopefully the La Crosse Rifle Club will be hosting more Appleseeds in the future.
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

deerslayer

We had a great time.  I brought 7 high school age boys over and a couple friends and they all had a great time.  One  of the boys even made rifleman on the last AQT!  I was pretty happy to make rifleman myself on the first round.  I shoot a lot, and had practiced a lot specifically for this, mostly offhand but had only bought the web sling in the last two weeks, the instruction on using the sling and the different shooting positions was invaluable to tightening up the groups.

This is the first competative rifle shooting event I've ever done.  It took a bit of getting used to the sound and muzzle blast of shooters right next to me, at first, it had me flinching all over the place, then I'd try to time my shots between some of theirs, (which screws up your own timing on breathing and such), and finally, I got used to it and just shot naturally at the riflemans pace.  So, if I could offer any advice to people who might be going to an appleseed in the future, get a couple of your buddies together and shoot side by side at the same time.  Get a little experience in having other shots going off right beside you.

Thanks again for all the history lessons and the time and energy of the volunteers, and lastly the La Crosse range for hosting.
Dan

AFTERMATH

Quote from: EEL on June 27, 2010, 11:05:20 PM
Secret whaaaaa?  ???

Secret?  What are you talking about EEL?   ::)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

AFTERMATH

Quote from: deerslayer on June 28, 2010, 12:32:10 AM
We had a great time.  I brought 7 high school age boys over and a couple friends and they all had a great time.  One  of the boys even made rifleman on the last AQT!  I was pretty happy to make rifleman myself on the first round.  I shoot a lot, and had practiced a lot specifically for this, mostly offhand but had only bought the web sling in the last two weeks, the instruction on using the sling and the different shooting positions was invaluable to tightening up the groups.

This is the first competative rifle shooting event I've ever done.  It took a bit of getting used to the sound and muzzle blast of shooters right next to me, at first, it had me flinching all over the place, then I'd try to time my shots between some of theirs, (which screws up your own timing on breathing and such), and finally, I got used to it and just shot naturally at the riflemans pace.  So, if I could offer any advice to people who might be going to an appleseed in the future, get a couple of your buddies together and shoot side by side at the same time.  Get a little experience in having other shots going off right beside you.

Thanks again for all the history lessons and the time and energy of the volunteers, and lastly the La Crosse range for hosting.
Dan

Sounds like you found your bubble!
Seven???  Sounds like some great 7th Stepping!
IA is definately better off now!  They could use your help, check in on there board:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=89.0
And keep up the good work!

dragonfly

:~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- :--- ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Congrats to the 4 new Riflemen Shore 210  Negn 210  deerslayer 220  and our youngest for this weekend Alex 214 O0

dragonfly  Keeping the Faith

K.I.S.S.

Old Glory!

Mississippi River on the way to the range.  Got those tracks in for you Martin.

LaCrosse Rifle Range, nestled in amongst the hills of WISCONSIN, EEL. ^-^

Neng - Congratulations!  210  Can we call you "Sling"?  ;)

Alex - Congratulations Rifleman at 214

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^Wisconsin's newest Red Hat, MARTIN. O0 :bow: ^:)^  It is an honor to work with you and have you (AND JOANNE!) on the Appleseed trail.

Posterity, receiving their youth patches.  They, too, now honor and remember our American Heritage.

Professor Gun and his family welcomed Appleseed to the LaCrosse Rifle Range and stayed the entire course; up and down, back and forth, inside and out.  What a GREAT Appleseed family!  Funny how you happen to find your forum names  ;) Blue 5.  

Lucas, Sir!....Red 5? or Shafer? Pointhead?  Your enthusiasm and positive outlook was infectious.  I am sure Shafer is proud to see you wear that jacket well.

Erin - IN THE RIFLEMAN'S BUBBLE - Notice that is not a .22 next to her.

Father and son; Steve and GOOGLE

IOWA Contingent A!  O0

IOWA Contingent B!   :o  Find a range in Iowa, and doz Illinois guys; dey'll be right over to invade help you out!  >:D

AFTERMATH, that was pretty sneaky sending over Kevin and Mike...

Mike, really enjoyed your third strike and Dangerous Old Men

Janelle, thanks for coming.  Hope to see you on the trail.  
Who's that cute guy in the green hat?   ^-^

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Johnnyappleseed

WOW--Is that range pretty or what ! OMG rivers ,flowers, tree's +green grass 8)
The one thing that AS shares nationwide is the most dedicated ,upstanding ,determined people on earth.
Did everyone have fun. ;D ;D ;D
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

vmt193

The only thing that can't be seen in the pictures, is the humidity. Saturday was brutal with Sunday just a bit cooler and more cloud cover. I was absolutely amazed at the attitude of the shooters under those conditions. No matter how whipped they felt, I could always count on a smile from Vonnie and Jo.  :)  Even late Sunday afternoon with sweat running off his face like a Gatorade commercial, and only 3 shooters left on the line, GOOGLE wasn't ready to quit either. He definitely has the Rifleman's spirit.  :bow:

vmt

Blue Five

Quote from: Old Glory! on June 28, 2010, 09:54:04 AM

Professor Gun and his family welcomed Appleseed to the LaCrosse Rifle Range and stayed the entire course; up and down, back and forth, inside and out.  What a GREAT Appleseed family!  Funny how you happen to find your forum names  ;) Blue 5.  

Yes, OG, very funny how I discovered my forum name   ;)

B5

dragonfly

Janelle, thanks for coming.  Hope to see you on the trail.  
Who's that cute guy in the green hat?   ^-^

Thats colycute  **) **) **) **) **) **)

[/quote]

K.I.S.S.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on June 28, 2010, 11:28:27 AM
WOW--Is that range pretty or what ! OMG rivers ,flowers, tree's +green grass 8)
The one thing that AS shares nationwide is the most dedicated ,upstanding ,determined people on earth.
Did everyone have fun. ;D ;D ;D
JA

It probably lacked the snakes and lizzards as well....
But that doesn't make 'em any less persevering.

professor gun

In addition to all the beautiful scenery we have at the La Crosse Rifle Club and the great people, we have a lot of deer and wild turkeys that do not seem to mind the noise.  On several occasions when people are shooting on the 600 yard range deer or turkey will wander out in the middle of the range.  On one occasion I know of years ago a deer wandered out in the middle of a high power rifle match in May or June ( :---) and they had to call a cease fire until the deer moved off the range.
Now Vonnie has informed me that the Ruger 10/22 she was using this weekend is HERS (I thought we were supposed to share)  and she is making a list of modifications she wants done on the rifle so it runs better for her as she practices what she learned this weekend.  This is the 3rd firearm she has confiscated and refuses to share (the others are a Colt 1911 and a Taurus double action snub nose revolver in .45 Colt).  I suppose next she will want her own gun safe.......
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

colycat

Professor,  seems like a small price to pay to be able to spend all that free time at the range.  And to have Vonnie there with you is a bonus ^:)^
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Quote from: professor gun on June 28, 2010, 05:14:37 PM
In addition to all the beautiful scenery we have at the La Crosse Rifle Club and the great people, we have a lot of deer and wild turkeys that do not seem to mind the noise.  On several occasions when people are shooting on the 600 yard range deer or turkey will wander out in the middle of the range.  On one occasion I know of years ago a deer wandered out in the middle of a high power rifle match in May or June ( :---) and they had to call a cease fire until the deer moved off the range.
Now Vonnie has informed me that the Ruger 10/22 she was using this weekend is HERS (I thought we were supposed to share)  and she is making a list of modifications she wants done on the rifle so it runs better for her as she practices what she learned this weekend.  This is the 3rd firearm she has confiscated and refuses to share (the others are a Colt 1911 and a Taurus double action snub nose revolver in .45 Colt).  I suppose next she will want her own gun safe.......

Sounds as though you are a lucky man indeed!