News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed near Chickasha August 7 & 8, 2010

Started by dalesp, June 23, 2010, 02:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalesp

I just got off the phone with the land owner, and then called our State Coordinator.   ..:..

We are looking at our first Appleseed at the "Dry-Hole Range" SE of Chickasha (Near Alex).   :---

August 7 & 8 are the tentative dates, so mark the date on your calendar.

The site will allow primitive camping - and I do mean primitive - there are NO facilities at the site.

After my B-I-L sees what a great group of people Appleseeders are, we will probably have an open invitation.

"There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face."
                          ~ Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofski (Krusty the Clown)

Scarecrow

K98Al

I just put it on the calendar. Do you anticipate parking about where we did the other day?
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

henschman

Thanks so much for working this out with the landowner, Dale.  This is going to be a great shoot location!

Now everybody else go do what Dale did, and hit up all your friends and relatives who have land, and all ranges you know of!  I'm available to talk to anybody who is interested.

I am really looking forward to this shoot.

Al, you will probably be taking your Red Hat test at this shoot, won't you?  If so, I will be shoot boss, but this will be your baby!
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

oktx

I found this gazebo thing on ebay that is $134.99 for a 10'X30' canopy with sides (that can be taken off) that I think could be a real asset to this location or any future location for Oklahoma.  I would be willing to put some of the funds in to help purchase this if others think it is worth the money.  I was thinking it could be used primarily as a first aid and cooling off/resting area but with the sides attached it could work equally well for a rainy day to give the three strikes, have lunch in the shade or dry, etc.  It appears to be a very sturdy commercial type of canopy and it says it holds "up to 50" people which I think would be if everyone was fairly close together.  Anyway... let me know what you all think about this idea.  Oh and the shipping on it is free.

Here is the link so you can look it over and think about it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330445720170

Anyway... it was just a thought I had after spending some time in the Dry Hole. 

Greg in MO

Good job Oklahoma!  Way to step up...

I see a new DAR in your future.  It looks like it is about 7 hours from me.  I have a shoot the week before hand, but if I can manage I will see if I can come.  If not, I will try to make the next one.

Well done.  I'm proud of all of you!

Greg

dalesp

Quote from: oktx on June 23, 2010, 08:32:43 PM
I found this gazebo thing on ebay that is $134.99 for a 10'X30' canopy with sides (that can be taken off) that I think could be a real asset to this location or any future location for Oklahoma.  I would be willing to put some of the funds in to help purchase this if others think it is worth the money.  I was thinking it could be used primarily as a first aid and cooling off/resting area but with the sides attached it could work equally well for a rainy day to give the three strikes, have lunch in the shade or dry, etc.  It appears to be a very sturdy commercial type of canopy and it says it holds "up to 50" people which I think would be if everyone was fairly close together.  Anyway... let me know what you all think about this idea.  Oh and the shipping on it is free.

Here is the link so you can look it over and think about it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330445720170

Anyway... it was just a thought I had after spending some time in the Dry Hole. 

I'd pass on this one - The description contains this . . "We advise customers NEVER to leave them up overnight, in the wind, or in bad weather condition"  It looks to me like it would be okay for a calm southern California day.  After a typical Oklahoma day I'll bet it would look like the paper clips I find -- all wadded up.

Back at the turn of the century My wife and I did Digital photography at several race tracks in N. TX.  We had a big Vinyl and Aluminum Tent - Probably about 10 x 30.  We could park 2 cars under it.   Most of the times we set it up, we had to park my F-150 under it and tie it down to keep it from blowing away.  Of Course that hard TX ground wouldn't take a tent stake -- so something like that would work better up here in OK.

We got it at Sam's.  Seems like it was between $150-300.  It was Heavy duty.  We had it set up here and parked our cars under it -- until we had a 70MPH straightline winds storm.

Academy has quite a selection of Pop-up shelters.  When I went to the AS in Oxford, KS most of the instructors had one.  I'm picking one up Friday.  The ones that were $130 a couple of years ago are around $70 now . . . If several of us have them we can string together a covered firing line.
"There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face."

oktx

Thanks, Dale!  It is good to know from others' experiences what works and what doesn't!   ;D

I'll look at Academy also and see what I find.  Stringing together some sounds even better because they could add up to more than just that 10x30 anyway. 

dalesp

I picked up a 10x10 Pop-up shade for $79 at academy.  It even comes with a wheeled storage case.  It's small enough that it will fit in my Ford Focus.

We used it at the AS in Eureka, KS all weekend.  We had some wind gusts - nothing too strong - and all was well.  It was staked to the ground.

If you have something to make shade - bring it out to the Dry Hole Aug 7&8.  We'll need all the cover we can get!

henschman

Chickasha is on the schedule!

Event Info. Page:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14690.0

Instructors, don't forget to sign up for this event on the Instructor Schedule by PMing "Instructor Scheduling" and telling them you will be working this shoot.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."

Scarecrow

PM'ed Instructor Scheduling yesterday.
I'll make sure Jim Whitaker gets the word.

oktx

MY .22 JUST GOT BACK FROM THE FACTORY!  Now I gotta go see if it works right.   ~~:) ;D :D :D :D  :--- :--- :---

henschman

Woohoo!  I think I smell a Rifleman's score...

oktx

Well, since I am such a masochist, I went ahead and registered for the Dry Hole.  Fourth time's a charm?  LOL.  Anyway... if I am needed to help stop traffic or something instead of shoot, I am perfectly OK with that.  I am here because I believe in the program and what it stands for regardless of what lousy score I end up with.   :D

dalesp

Quote from: oktx on July 02, 2010, 05:32:47 PM
Well, since I am such a masochist, I went ahead and registered for the Dry Hole.  Fourth time's a charm?  LOL.  Anyway... if I am needed to help stop traffic or something instead of shoot, I am perfectly OK with that.  I am here because I believe in the program and what it stands for regardless of what lousy score I end up with.   :D

My fourth AS was the magic one for me.  OG saw me walking up to the registration table and asked asked me when I was going to become an instructor -- I answered "As soon as I score Rifleman!"  If you follow the instruction, and practice it WILL come.

In other news - - -  I passed out 127 fliers for the Dry Hole shoot today in the town of Lindsey.  I started at the gun store (they were closed, but I left a dozen fliers sticking out from under the welcome mat) and hit most every business in town that was open - grocery store, barber shop, farm store, vet clinic, several gas stations and even the fireworks stands.  Everyone was agreeable to leaving the fliers out in a conspicuous location.  I made a list so I'll be able to return to restock in a few weeks.

Let's fill up that line!  We have 35 spots available.  You are registered and I believe my daughter registered too, so we only have room for 32 more mats! O0

oktx

I passed out a few flyers at the Bethany Fourth of July Festival today.  Also trying to drag along my friends that were signed up but skipped Grandfield because of the weather.  At least one said he is a maybe.

BC

Jesse and I had so much fun last time in the mud and rain at badlands that I convinced him to go again.  Assuming it's not underwater or 110+ degrees I might even try camping (we're not grunts you know!).  Plan on seeing you guys on the 7th!

oldgrunt

I'll be there aswell cant Walk to good but i can call the line ..lol glad to see that a few are returning ..I look forward to getting a few patches handed out alot of you are so close to making it...As for the rain its gone,,, Now its sunscreen weather lol.. seeya all real soon ..
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

dalesp

Quote from: BC on July 12, 2010, 02:10:03 AM
Jesse and I had so much fun last time in the mud and rain at badlands that I convinced him to go again.  Assuming it's not underwater or 110+ degrees I might even try camping (we're not grunts you know!).  Plan on seeing you guys on the 7th!

I was hoping you guys would come out again.  No dirt roads this time!

JuniperLimb

Trying to get there again.  We shall see...
I need a purple patch to go with the other one ;)

dalesp

I just checked the internet sales -- 16 of the 35 slots have already sold!  We're about half-way to being sold out!  That would be awesome.

I'll be sending out press releases to the local newspapers and radio stations this next week.  Hope to fill up that firing line!

dalesp

I got a press release off to some newspapers and the Chicksha radio station.  The Radio station called me today wanting to know more about the RWVA.  Talked to him for about 10 mins.  He said he would mention on the air, and may call the week before the event for an on-air interview!

We're gonna fill up that line!

Also the gun shop in Newcastle posted about the event on their Facebook page.  KAIROS Arms.  I stopped there on the way home last night and they were glad I brought more fliers.  They had been photocopying the last one - until they accidentally gave it away . . .

henschman

GREAT job promoting this shoot, Dale!  It would be outstanding if you got on the radio.  As always, let me know if I can do anything.  I got a thousand or so of our new national flyers last week... I need to get some of those to you and everybody else who is doing promotions work. 

The Dry Hole is definitely going to fill up soon -- we really need to get another shoot or two on the schedule so all the people who miss out will still be able to sign up for something.  I'm working on a couple of leads right now... I think Glencoe is very close to happening, and I've got to call another guy who showed some interest in helping us out... but it would be a Godsend if one of you guys found another land owner or range owner who would be willing to host a shoot.  Everybody put out your feelers and start asking around!

oktx

Question: If someone paid for the Grandfield shoot but wasn't able to attend, can they go to this one?  How would they go about registering if so?

BC

I am excited about this!  Are there going to be gongs or poppers set up at a distance for day two?  I'm curious to see what toys rifles I should bring.

oldgrunt

As far as the badlands reg it shouldn't be a problem..Just contact the shootboss for the event they will be able to fix it...We never turn away a shooter to any event as long as Ive been around..

Now for the poppers and steel if the range supports it I know I have a chest plate that can be set anywhere...We didn't get to use it much at the last Grandfield event so its all ready to ping at ..

hope that helped see ya all soon....
                                         Iron Mike

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

henschman

PM sent about the registration issue. 

BC, the full distance shooting will be out to 400 yards and it will be on steel targets.  We will not be able to do a full distance AQT on paper targets because of how the range is set up, but we will teach the full distance curriculum and the steel targets should give shooters plenty of feedback and a chance to see how well those fundamentals learned at 25 transfer over to the real deal.  So definitely bring your center fires!

And OG, definitely bring that steel silhouette of yours... we will need it!

dalesp

As of this week we have 22 shooters signed up!  How are we set on shade?  I have a 10x10 pop-up, and I know a few of you have some as well.

I normally avoid Walmart like the plague - but they have a 10x20' "garage" -- I used to have one that was similar.  Only $88 online - free shipping.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Canopy-10x20-Carport/11007577#QAmodule

What can we count on for shade?  Those of you that were at the range on the work day remember there is NO shade there.

oldgrunt

Iron Mike

THOMAS PAINE

oktx

I haven't gotten it yet, but was planning to get a canopy at Academy.  I looked at that one you posted from WM, Dale, and it has several pretty bad reviews. 

Are we going to be able to camp out Friday night?  What time will the gate be unlocked if so?  Are we allowed to bring our own wood for a campfire if there is no burn ban in effect?