News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Well, how many times have you heard "The White Cockade"?

Started by Earl, June 14, 2010, 01:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

http://www.contemplator.com/scotland/whitcock.html

I read from Paul Revere's Ride, page 211, about Luther Blanchard of Acton, a young fifer with Captain Isaac Davis - playing a spirited march called "The White Cockade" as preparation for awarding a Junior Patriot Patch. Stirring tale since Luther Blanchard would be wounded in the same ragged volley that killed Captain Davis and Private Hosmer. But I, not being a musician had never figured out how to read the score provided. Being a Google addict I found the link that had the music. And it is a stirring in your face tune, I could see marching down to the bridge following that fifer and Captain Davis.

Hope that you can use the link, or at least be stirred on our march making Riflemen that honor our Heritage.

http://www.concordma.com/magazine/jan99/musik.html More information on fifes and drummers of the day.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Chrome

Montani Semper Liberi

CortJestir

Awesome, my wife is in that group (and in that video). And I was at that Military Tattoo in Edinburgh. It was pure awesome - we were the only group to represent the US.

So to answer Earl's question: I think I've heard "The White Cockade" enough.  **) (It never gets old, though).
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

slim

Man, that's cool! Huzzah!

Thanks for posting that, guys.

Mudcat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Buzzworth

I saw them play this at Meriam's Corner on April 10th 2010 with my 11 year old son, crak, cj and other Appleseed folks at a re-dedication of this holy ground, Along with musket and cannon fire wreath laying and a prayer O0
@)

and
Todd's Cool!
No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

mikaldulee

Longshot

October 2006, Mingus, TX. Appleseed.

Two sixteen(ish) sisters played on violin (fiddle)  for Fred and the entire 100 shooter crew. Awesome.  Fred has the CD available.

I wuz there, got a T-shirt....   ;D

LS
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Fred

Longshot, what a memory!

I remember we had dismissed the shooters to their firing lines, when it became known that we had "in-house" capability to hear the "White Cockade", and recalled the shooters immediately to hear it - prob to considerable "what the heck?" grousing - at least, until they listened to the music, live. (Prob wouldn't do it that way, today...)

Here's the fantastic Middlesex group in another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGTn6p4AwF8&NR=1
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

dragit

This seems like it would be a great for the final Redcoat COF on Sunday.  Maybe the benediction first and then the Redcoat COF?  The benediction to get them thinking, and then a stirring tune to make the blood boil while firing 13 final rounds.  I would bet shooters would be chomping at the bit for the next shoot.  I am already.  Where are my CD player and 10 "D" batteries... ^:)^
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer