News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Revolutionary War Info Website

Started by GoldFish, June 09, 2010, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldFish

Here's a website I found on Revolutionary War Causes, People, Battles, and some Post War things as well.

http://www.harlingen.isd.tenet.edu/coakhist/amrev.html#LI

---GoldFish
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Xeyed

Looks like an interesting site, but it needs some updates. For example here is the section on April 19th 1775. There appears to be some confusion. See notes below.

"BATTLE OF LEXINGTON (1) (By Stephanie Castillo & Vanessa Maldonado)
Lexington It was 4:30 in the morning before the British appeared. About 70 American men stood dismayed (2) while the 600 British soldiers in gleaming red and white uniforms with shiny brass buttons and buckles (3), assembled into battle lines. "Stand you ground!" yelled Captain Parker. "If they want war, let it begin here!" And it did. (4) Knowing there was no way to overthrow the British forces with the tiny American group of men, Captain Parker ordered his men to disband, but the British commander Major Atcairn (5) had orders to take the American's weapons. A small skirmish arose between the Americans and British. Parker was killed.(6) As the sun began to rise, the british marched to Concord.

This battle was fought at a village near Boston, Massachusetts on the morning of April 19, 1775. The reason for this battle was the British wanted to investigate accounts that the colonists were stockpiling weapons in Concord. As the British began to investigate, firing began in Lexington and 8 colonists were killed before the British marched on to Concord. The American men fighting were regular townsmen, many owned property, but others were working men. The Battle of Lexington was important because it signaled the start of the American Revolution."

1. Didn't something happen at Concord that day too?
2. Dismayed would not be the word to describe the men who assembled on Lexington Green and stood for liberty.
3. How fashionable.
4. First strike of the match. Lexington was a massacre, Concord was skirmish. Merriams Corner was the battle.
5. Pitcairn?
6. Parker Died of TB in the fall of 1775. After he had his revenge on the Redcoats in the afternoon.
7. Wasn't Paul Revere riding around the country side?

You get the idea. I left some more errors for you to find. Can you spot them?

There are some great resources on the "Interweb", just need to evaluate with a critical eye.

Goldfish thanks for bringing this to our attention. At first glance it looked excellent. If it hadn't been for Appleseed, I never would have picked up on the details in the above summary. In all fairness, each section was written by different people. Hopefully they did a better job than the folks that wrote up the battle of Lexington.

Keep sharing what you find. It helps us all learn.
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

nyrasgt

For folks wanting more adventures with mis-history, get copy of 1987 Hallmark made-for-TV movie, "April Morning."
Great exercise as film-maker adjusts history more than somewhat...still useful in comparison to what we know from PRR and other, more accurate sources.
Excelsior,
madMark
PS  Can also look for the Howard Fast novel with same title as film, on which it is based.  Amazon/B&N used?
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846