News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed in WV has a new logo *UPDATED*

Started by Chrome, June 09, 2010, 07:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrome

Here's something I've been working on for a few weeks.  I think it's to the point now I can show everyone.

If you see anything that you feel may need revision on it, PLEASE point it out.  There have only been two sets of eyes on this, so "proof reading" it wouldn't hurt.  If it passes through you guys, we can see about having shirts, stickers, whatever made with it.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

siglite

--

Keith Morgan
President, West Virginia Citizen's Defense League
http://www.wvcdl.org
http://forums.wvcdl.org
Proud member of West Virginia's first "All Rifleman" family.

Spanner

First Impression:  O0   O0

I like the chosen colors, very tastefully done.  Nice.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

sgtrock

Sir,,, That is Beautiful,,,I'm up here in NY, and I would wear one of those proudly,,, Excellent design,,, sgtrock

Spanner

Does anyone have experience with (preferably free) embroidery software?  I'd like to explore a stitched version.

sgtrock

Spanner
    I think the person that does our Junior rifle shirts near Cooperstown, NY has the technology to do that, I will Check with Colette, [Brianna' Mother] she is the one that has our shirts and sweat shirts done up,,, If you would like,,,, sgtrock

Spanner

Thanks Stoner.  I should add that at the moment I'm not asking anyone to do any work (not my MO) but rather I was looking for recommendations for software, so that I could do some preliminary work (fiddle about) myself.

Any info on pricing, if that info is readily available, is welcome... I can look into it myself when I get more time. 

The Machine

Hey guys, what we are looking for right now is a consensus of whether we want to go with this design, or tweak it some more.

I had mentioned putting a WV Appleseed logo together awhile back; Chrome graciously picked up the ball and ran with it. We both decided to create something which would have visual elements of AS in it, but would entice the person seeing the picture to ask questions. "That's a cool design, what does it mean?" It goes back to that word of mouth thing. The logo is meant to initiate more inquiry about our program.

If the majority of our WV volunteers like this design, I'm going to send it to our "AS friendly" printer--the guy who made our signs and Uncle Sam banner--who will reformat the artwork into a high-res file. I will then get quotes on various print jobs, according to what we want the logo to be put on.

Sgtrock, I would be interested in an embroidery quote, once we get the artwork to that level. I have a neighbor which does tee shirts for a lot of WV organizations, so I will be getting a quote from them, then we could compare notes on shirt prices. I'd be honored if you wore a WV logo in NY. :)
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

sgtrock

The Machine

I will print the WV Design and see if I can get a quote for you asap,,,

I would most definitely wear it, for I have a big connection to WV,,,,,,,,,I Know Spanner!!! :cool2:

sgtrock

The Machine

Quote from: sgtrock on June 10, 2010, 12:16:32 PM
The Machine

I will print the WV Design and see if I can get a quote for you asap,,,

I would most definitely wear it, for I have a big connection to WV,,,,,,,,,I Know Spanner!!! :cool2:

sgtrock
Sounds great buddy...let's just keep things "spooled down" until we get the artwork finalized--we don't have a majority decision yet; some changes could still be made--and then we can proceed from there. You can still get a quote, however, keeping this in mind. I'm encouraged by the enthusiasm from those who posted about this so far.

We also have a different design for a window applique in the works too, which will be revealed soon. It's one of those white silhouette decals that can be applied to glass...you've probably seen them on many vehicles.

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

vanrichten

I think it looks great!  Fantastic job!!!  I would love a shirt and a sticker for my political statement rifle case!  :)
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

sgtrock

The Machine

I printed the logo, it came out at 6 1/4" in diameter, is that what you envisioned as for size?

sgtrock

The Machine

I think that might be on the large size for a patch, but we could probably go with that size on a shirt. I don't know much about patch sizing; I figured around 3 inches in diameter. Maybe some other folks will chime in about that. This is meant to be a group effort amongst everyone, so any ideas other than my own would be appreciated.

If we do a WV specific tee shirt, just having a large logo on it would seem rather boring to me, we'd probably want to add some wording and perhaps the main website link. That's just my opinion though.

Keep in mind that the image in this thread is just a logo. It is intentionally sparse, yet conveys a message. We were looking for something visual which would make an immediate connection in peoples minds once we reach the level of "brand recognition". Think about symbols/logos which companies and organizations use--Toyota, Apple, sports teams, etc.

Thanks for your help on this sgtrock, and feel free to throw out any ideas you may have.

sgtrock

I really like what you have here,, as soon as I can get it to an embroidery shop they will be able to size it up for their machines,, I made a note of possible 3" dia. That might at least give you a rough Idea of cost, at this stage of the game,, will keep you posted,,,,sgtrock

Spanner

Quote from: sgtrock on June 10, 2010, 02:17:27 PM
I really like what you have here,, as soon as I can get it to an embroidery shop they will be able to size it up for their machines,, I made a note of possible 3" dia. That might at least give you a rough Idea of cost, at this stage of the game,, will keep you posted,,,,sgtrock

sgtrock: I'm suspecting that an embroidered version for patch or hat would require sacrifices in resolution (simpler artwork).  In which case I'm also going to guess that the cost will be mostly dependent on the size and number of colors, but maybe not... maybe there is a choice in stitch size, and the cost goes with the number of stitches. 

I like the B-Flats stuff.  Don't be surprised if I show up with some artwork next month (this, or something else) & we can talk/strategize/and generally terrorize the countryside.   ;)

The RWVA oval (Isaac Davis) patch is 3.75" across.  Something small enough for a hat I think might be too muddy without gross simplifications (2.5" is about the max).  I'm going to play with the 3" to 4" range of patch sizes.

I found a copy of SophieSew (already on my computer, silly me) so I will do some exploration with it (free software).

Chrome:  Take my advice... dissolve the committee...  :bow:  Work in seclusion...   :P

willorith

Very nice work, sir.

Don't wait for everybody to vote on it.  Just get it done, every one will like it. 

Willorith
We are but human.

sgtrock

Chrome

Okay, I did another major revision.  I replaced it in the original post.  I moved the tree into the same "focal plane" as the musket side plate.  Really cleaned it up, I think.  Thoughts now?

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

vanrichten

I want one with an AR15 instead of a musket.  Ha!   :---
An armed and informed law-abiding citizenry is the best defense against an unjust government and the criminal element created by irresponsible societal benevolence and activist judges. - Lt. Col. Allen West

The Machine

Chrome, is there a way we could get a side-by-side comparison of the two? Call one "A" and the other "B", then we'll vote. I'm inline with willorith on this one...let's get 'er done!

Vanrichten buddy, the AR came late to the party, we'll save him for another project.  >:D

Spanner

Quote from: Chrome on June 10, 2010, 08:15:17 PM
I moved the tree into the same "focal plane" as the musket side plate.

I'd like to see version 16 with the hillside focal plane moved way back or the skyline somehow softened.  It seems to intrude in a disturbing cubist fashion on version 17.

siglite

LOL

Take Spanner's advice.  Go back underground with it!  Then pop up and say "TADA! HERE IT IS, WRAP IT! PRINT IT!"
--

Keith Morgan

The Machine

We took a leap of faith, then things turned Monet...go figure. I could probably get into a Dali style myself; apple melting off of tree limb.  ;D

Chrome, ignore those hecklers in the audience, I think everyone would be happy with your final decision.  O0  We WILL NOT go this route on the window applique!  :P

siglite

Ooo... just how abstract can we go....

:D
--

Keith Morgan

Another D.O.M.

I think it's fantastic!  Excellent work Chrome!  The colors work very well together; the apple on the branch immediately demands attention, then your attention is subtly moved to the musket, and finally to the detail on the lock.  I wouldn't think twice about going into production with it!
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

SamD

Pretty darn good Chrome but I really think you needed a pic of Lewis Wetzel in there.

R1SGx2

Chrome,
Would be special to see all 50 states on them, jealous now New York doesn't have one like this, team new york or RWVA New York. W.V. has it going. :cool2:  :~ :---
Would look nice on a hat also.  O0
Chrome, like so many here, your a good man. :bow:

Hi Spanner, New York is trying to pass micro stampimg, bet ya miss us now....
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Mountaineer

I have an embroidery machine that I'm learning how to use right now.   
I think I can do something like that given some time and practice.

--- Mountaineer
In Liberty,
--- Mountaineer

"History has shown us that government leaders often ignore the fundamental fact that people demand both dignity and freedom. Stripping motivated people of their dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."

skoof223

Chrome,

I can sew about anything you need, I have a 6 head commercial embroidery machine.  I do all the embroidery for Putnam County Gun Club.  We met at the August AS at PCGC, where I earned my rifleman patch.  I you wish to continue looking into getting this logo sewn on hats or polos or whatever, I'll look into getting it digitized (put into a stitch file) and be able to give you a quote.

Skoof
Stephen F. Samples
Winfield, WV

Chrome

Quote from: skoof223 on October 15, 2010, 04:04:54 PM

Chrome,

I can sew about anything you need, I have a 6 head commercial embroidery machine.  I do all the embroidery for Putnam County Gun Club.  We met at the August AS at PCGC, where I earned my rifleman patch.  I you wish to continue looking into getting this logo sewn on hats or polos or whatever, I'll look into getting it digitized (put into a stitch file) and be able to give you a quote.

Skoof

Definitely interested in pursuing this.  I just need to find the time to finish the clean up of the image.  It's at probably 95% right now.  When I can find the time to finish it, I'll send a PM your way and you can take a look at it.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi