News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Preachin the word at Camp Ripley...

Started by russellmn, June 07, 2010, 03:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russellmn

Well, my unit ran an M4 zero range this weekend out at Camp Ripley...  Running of the range went well, especially considering out OIC had never run one before, but as always when you're running a few hundred people through a 30 shooter line in 2 days, you end up getting frustrated at the non-shooters.   ;D 

Friday morning we had D trp and HQ out there, before the first group of firers had finished their 7 magazines (3 rounds each), I realized that me working the line as a safety just wasn't gonna happen.  I ended up being a roving troubleshooter fixing the problems various shooters were having.  biggest issues were trigger related, jerking, slapping, no follow through, etc..., I ended up having 5 shooters off in our break area where I went though SHFs, 6 steps to firing the shot, and LOTS of dry firing.  When they got back on line to shoot, 4 of them zeroed in 4 groups, the last had to fire all 7 and come back again to get it.  He didn't do what I'd taught him to do at first.  :wb:

During all this I ended up being the guy our LT called on anytime someone was having issues so in 2 days on the line I never got more than a 3 minute break.   >:(   

I was preaching AS to everyone, getting as many people interested as possible, including  the 1st Sergent of B trp (Pine City) interested, he's an NRA competitor and was VERY interested in AS as a way to get his daughter some quality instruction as it's always difficult to teach your own family.  Another interested persone was formerly a Primary marksmanship Instructor at Camp Pendleton, CA with the Marine Corps.  Looks like we'll have several, if not many, new shooters coming out soon!
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

ItsanSKS

OUTSTANDING WORK!

Perhaps if enough of the 'brass' gets involved, we could schedule another military AS for your BTN?

You would know better than most who needs to be contacted in this regard, so its up to you to make it happen.  There are many willing to help, all you have to do is ask. 

Good job spreading the word, and the knowledge. 

A big Thank You to you and the rest of your fellow soldiers for serving our country.

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

russellmn

I've already got Mike our state coordinator in touch with my Platoon Sergeant who is also the unit's Training NCO.  Hopefully we'll get something lined up to happen...
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

sparks1

Wow oh wow !!!! Great job !  The marksmanship taught at AS WORKS. Good to hear that the military is open to an outside idea. Alot of times they were non-receptive to any ideas outside of their realm. ( At least when I was in.....a loooong time ago  ;))

It is great that VMT is hooked into this...I would really like to see an AS at Ripley for our military.

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

russellmn

So would I Sparks1, only problem is our current training schedule is PACKED!  Hopefully they can make some space...
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

AFTERMATH

What?
They let you have a 3 min break? ???
Don't expect such luxories when you put that orange hat on. ~~:) ~~:) ~~:)
:D

Great work!
Let's get 'em on the line!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

russellmn

Yeah, but the range went hot at 0800 and we didn't shut down 'til 0300, then went hot again at 0800 'til 0300 the next day.
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

AFTERMATH

Quote from: russellmn on June 08, 2010, 01:48:17 AM
Yeah, but the range went hot at 0800 and we didn't shut down 'til 0300, then went hot again at 0800 'til 0300 the next day.
Well, find me a range where we can shoot at night.  We can do an RBC in three days!  I'll pick up an espresso machine and we'll be good to go. $$-0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

russellmn

Quote from: AFTERMATH on June 08, 2010, 03:47:13 PM
Quote from: russellmn on June 08, 2010, 01:48:17 AM
Well, find me a range where we can shoot at night.  We can do an RBC in three days!  I'll pick up an espresso machine and we'll be good to go. $$-0

The Cabin, but we can't run too many shooters at once.   :---
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

sparks1

Aftermath....I have an expresso machine!! ;D AND a generator to run it should we need power.  Tracers would be nice too O0 O0  They look like they are moving so sloooooooow, you could reach out and grab them.

(John Maxwell)

Scout

Quote from: AFTERMATH on June 08, 2010, 01:05:16 AM
What?
They let you have a 3 min break? ???
Don't expect such luxories when you put that orange hat on. ~~:) ~~:) ~~:)
:D

That is about the truth ;) I spent a few weeks in Ripley at winter warefare school when I was with the Rangers. -60 one night during a storm and I remember another night trying to sneak across the Mississippi in the middle of the night with the ice creaking and moaning and figuring I was going to go throuigh the ice any minute.

I am hoping that the end result of all of these meetings and working with the Guard/Reserve will end up with us someday beng an integral part of every Guard/Reserve units training. Making sure that we are contributing to the safety of each member and doing everything we can to insure that they are able to make the shot when it counts.

Thanks Russellman :)
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

vmt193

FYI:

I did send an initial contact e-mail to the russellmn's Platoon Sergeant. Unfortunately either one or the other of us has been out of town lately. Russellmn has promised to keep the fire smoldering and hopefully we can pull something together. I wouldn't expect anything to happen until probably next year, but it's not something I would want to do a rush job on anyway. We'll need to get a lot help and input from those of us that have "been there/done that" already. O0

vmt

sparks1

I would agree , not to rush this. Do it right the first time and use all the assets AS has in place. Give the guys a good solid foundation for marksmanship and let them run with it.

Sparks1

(John Maxwell)