News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boulder MT June 5-6

Started by Mark Davis, June 05, 2010, 10:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

Eight shooters at the Hi-ore range Boulder MT.
The instructors are Terry,  a new ITT, he shot rifleman last year at Boulder and showed up this morning wanting to help so he recived an orange hat and promptly went to work as a saftey officer. Terry has no internet access other than the public libary and will not show up on this site anytime soon.
Glocker21, Montana State cooridinator who got to shoot first half of the day until pain won and he had to put the rifle down.
And ole clod.
Were were blessed with a very experienced group of shooters all but one were either been to an appleseed or coached by an appleseed attendee, very few problems with equipment. And all the shooters had some good skills.
Our first rifleman was a vintage model who showed it was not an accident by shooting in the 230s on three AQTs.
Our second rifleman is a youngster, Logan turned in a 217, showed some good skills picked up at a summer camp venue.
Our third rifleman attended the Serria Vista appleseed this April 17-18 then brought his brother to Boulder.
Cool brezey weather in the morning with a mild, partly sunny afternoon.
Misfit and Bru were there to help set up and headed to the Helena gun show with a table set up passing out info on three worthy organazations.

Sorrry about that redcoat there Glocker, Ole clod handed him a rifle, at least some of it is 10-22, and unfortoantaly the scope was adjusted 59 minutes to high for a 25 meter zero, Glocker's redcoat was clean. Not a bullet hole to be seen. Last time that rifle was at the range clod was breaking clay birds sitting on the berm at 300 meters.

Mark Davis

Six shooters arrived a the beautiful Hi-ore range today. One more new rifleman and one rifle woman. Some equipment issues reared their head but the shooters were ready to go.
Logan, 13 years old turned in a score of 230.
Weather was pretty good when an afternoon shower came along we headed to the meeting shed and told the dangerous old men story.
Gave out an orange hat.
Nearly 600 rounds fired this weekend. the high round count was possible because the shooters came prepared, Their rifles were very sutiable to appleseed
proper slings and sights were the order of the day, and rifles mostly functioned with out flaws.
Except Kayla's walther bullpup did have the operating knob break away from the bolt leaving the rifle disabled.
Thanks for comming everybody!

colycat

""Sorrry about that redcoat there Glocker, Ole clod handed him a rifle, at least some of it is 10-22, and unfortoantaly the scope was adjusted 59 minutes to high for a 25 meter zero, Glocker's redcoat was clean. Not a bullet hole to be seen. Last time that rifle was at the range clod was breaking clay birds sitting on the berm at 300 meters."

This is too funny, only in MT would a guy have a 22 LR set 59 minutes high.  And maybe only you Clod, would hand it to an instructor, shooting at 25 m.  Bet the students were really impressed ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Mark Davis

It really was an accident.

glocker21

Quote from: colycat on June 07, 2010, 12:19:17 AM
""Sorrry about that redcoat there Glocker, Ole clod handed him a rifle, at least some of it is 10-22, and unfortoantaly the scope was adjusted 59 minutes to high for a 25 meter zero, Glocker's redcoat was clean. Not a bullet hole to be seen. Last time that rifle was at the range clod was breaking clay birds sitting on the berm at 300 meters."

This is too funny, only in MT would a guy have a 22 LR set 59 minutes high.  And maybe only you Clod, would hand it to an instructor, shooting at 25 m.  Bet the students were really impressed ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Yep...the scope was great...and for life of me I could not figure out why I had ZERO rounds on target. Nice rifle...LOOOOOONG length of pull, but a VERy nice rifle all the same.
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

Kaiser Leib

5 riflemen from 8 attendees, with 2 more getting close? That's a purdy good Appleseed there, folks. That and the 13-year-old 230-scoring rifleman is my new favorite story.

I'll see if I can get some cell phone quality pictures posted at lunch.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

glocker21

Dang this new Droid...I took pics...sent pics to my email...but I will be danged if I know where they went
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

money."
Charley Reese

mtpatriot

I can't say enough about the quality and value of this program. As of two months ago my only experience with shooting was less than a handful of opportunities to take a couple of shots with friends' guns when I was a teenager and very young adult (over 25 years ago). My daughter, who is 11, had never shot a gun.

We took some very preliminary direction from a friend and then attended the April event in Three Forks, Kayla with a borrowed rifle. Initially I could not hit the paper, and Kayla was an obvious beginner (she at least was on the paper). By the end of the event we were scoring in the 70-90 point range on the AQT (relative to not hitting paper this was pretty good improvement for total novices). We received an incredible amount of (needed) help, support, and patience from Bru & Misfit throughout the entire event.

We were hooked, and we attended the second day of the May Boulder event, this time with Kayla shooting her own newly acquired, left-handed rifle. Again, we received much help from Bru & Misfit, thoroughly enjoyed the event, and both continued to improve.

This past weekend we returned to Boulder with a guest, the 13-year-old son of our good friends who couldn't attend. Logan was so excited about going to Appleseed that he couldn't stop talking for days. As anticipated, he not only loved every bit of the event, but he performed exceptionally well. Logan qualified as a rifleman on his second AQT and shot a perfect red coat on the first day! Amazingly, considering where we started six weeks ago, I qualified as a rifleman on day two (twice!). Kayla faced many frustrations throughout this event including a critical break of her rifle that disabled it very early into day one and a gushing bloody nose during an AQT. She shot five different rifles throughout the event, none of which (besides her own) where the appropriate size or set up for her. The instructors and participants were all AMAZING, providing her with rifles, helping her to shoot the unfamiliar rifles, and giving much needed moral support. In spite of her many challenges and frustrations, Kayla scored a 196 on an AQT. Again, considering that six weeks ago she had never touched a gun and all of her challenges, this is pretty notable. We cannot adequately express how much we appreciate all of the help, support, and patience exhibited by this group of fine people.

Logan's mom told me this morning that she doesn't think he has ever had as much fun as he did this past weekend. This is a kid who is very active and has experienced a lot of different things. Major kudos to Appleseed!

THANK YOU to all involved in this event. We look forward to shooting with you again in the future.
Those who value individual freedom must be willing and able to defend it. The better we are prepared, the less likely it will be necessary. The future of freedom resides in our youth.

glocker21

The pictures showed up finally. That young lady was quite the trooper. She rooled with all the problems that befell her and drove on. GOOD JOB YOUNG LADY!!! Persistance is a very good thing.

money."
Charley Reese

Hammer

Very cool setup for that young lady!
"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories."  - Thomas Jefferson

Kaiser Leib

The brave and the beautiful:

The youngest rifleman I've ever met, and one of the best (if not THE best) marksman:

Perseverance (and the year's hottest new fashion accessory):

Another of that young man who outshoots everyone (Schaeffer's camera is much better than mine):

Some fool didn't tally his AQT score until everyone else had left:

At least MTProgrammer can be proud of one hat he got in Boulder:
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.