News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Help me find a TV show or movie

Started by J Jessup, May 14, 2010, 04:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Jessup

Several years ago I watched a show on TV that I believe was a made-for-TV-special that was about April 19th.   I can remember very little about it except a scene at Lexington where a father was showing his son how to load heavy (extra shot) because these aren't birds we'll be shooting.  It went on from there but my memory is fuzzy, I must have been called out of the room.

Does anyone recognize the show I'm talking about?   :sos:

Jess
17Chap

CaptG

It may have been "April Morning". It had Tommy Lee Jones in it. I think it was a TV movie.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

AFTERMATH

Sounds like 'April Morning' to me.
All I have is a vague memory as well.  But I do remember the shot part.  There's no time to count it, you've got to feel how much year loading.
I was probably 8 or 9 when I saw it.  It's one them Hallmark Special movies.

Alex
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

hawkhavn

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

desertrat144

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

nyrasgt

Folks,
   "April Morning" is correct; was 1986 Hallmark HOF TV movie; Tommy Lee Jones, Rip Torn, Robert Urich, and a teen
boyfriend/girlfriend subplot to die for (not)...99 minutes.  I own VHS tape and Howard Fast novel - can dub copies if you send me a VHS blank.  Mark R (R1sgx2) working on copying VHS tape to DVD...
  Movie's main value is as exercise in spotting the mistakes (practically everything -  NO exaggeration!).
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

J Jessup

Thanks to everyone!  What a wealth of information.  Now can anyone tell me how to locate some money?   :sos:   **)

Thanks again,

Jess
17Chap

hawkhavn

Jess,

You saw where you can watch it free up there in DR144's post, right?

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

J Jessup

Hawk,

I found the sites but the only one that seemed to offer a view or download required a registration and small fee.  I'm not bothered by the small fee (.99 for a trial period) but I am concerned about the security of the site and future use of my numbers.  Have you used it?

Jess

hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

desertrat144

The sites in my post are not the only ones.  Just Google the title, sort thru the crap... err... advertisements,  ;D and find the freebies.   Also check [Internet Archives at http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_movies.  This is a great stash of media in all formats.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

4bfox

Quote from: J Jessup on May 15, 2010, 04:19:47 PM
Hawk,

I found the sites but the only one that seemed to offer a view or download required a registration and small fee.  I'm not bothered by the small fee (.99 for a trial period) but I am concerned about the security of the site and future use of my numbers.  Have you used it?

Jess

I tried the ZML.com site....tried several searches for "April Morning", doesn't appear to be there anymore. Also, on a LOT of the movies, you have to upgrade to "premium" membership to download....looks like it could get expensive to me. So I'll let my $2.99 1-day membership expire....funny, it started out at $.99 and charged $2.99. Must have been in the small print somewhere....
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

J Jessup

Thanks everyone.   O0

I've got he name and I'll keep watch for on Amazon and Half.com.

Jess