News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Anyone down for a KD day here in CT?

Started by CortJestir, April 21, 2010, 12:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CortJestir

So inspired by Florida's KD day, any CT instructors wanna get together in Colebrook or Chaplin to do some KD work?  We don't have a shoot here in CT in May, so perhaps some weekend morning in May may work. We'd need to shut down the range for a morning, so vernic82 would need to chat with the folks at Chaplin and Chuckwagon would need to bring it up to his board (unless you can make a unilateral decision on this, President Chuckwagon  :~).

Chaplin and Colebrook both go out to 200 yards. If anyone knows of or is a member at a longer range, 1) why haven't you told me yet and 2) see if you can get us in.

I envision it as a way for instructors to get up on the platform and teach the KD portion as well as put it into practice, if you haven't already.

What say you? (hint: the answer is "Yes, this is a good idea.")  ~~:) **)

Oh, this is open to anyone in the immediate area, BTW. ME, VT, MA, NH, NY, NJ, RI - pipe up if you want in.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

dwarven1

If you guys run it on May 8th or 9th, or Sun May 16th, I'd be up for it. May is pretty full already.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

CortJestir

Cool, we got some dates to play with. Thanks, Ross.

Let's choose May 16th for now. vernic82 and CW, can you check your club's schedules and also see if it'll be alright if a group of smelly guys and gals dressed in OD with Red and Orange hats have run of the place from say 9:00a to noon or 1p? Maybe TOMINCT can hit up Metacon in Simsbury?

The Log

KD with you guys? Well, OK, if I have to...

Sundays are pretty much all I have in May - Little League games pretty much every Saturday, unless we have to make up a game on a Sunday, in which case I'd have to cancel. The 16th and the 23rd look good to me - the 9th is Mother's Day and that might be a hard sell, to say the least. I'm still trying to convince my wife that the AS on September 18th would be a perfect way for us to celebrate our 16th anniversary - don't make me go to the well too often!!

Looks like there's a Benchrest Match at Colebrook on the 16th at 9AM. The 23rd shows a kid's Fishing Derby with all ranges closed for half the day. If I see CW today when I drop off the mats from last weekend, I'll ask about possible time slots.
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

Chuckwagon

May 16th may not work for Colebrook.
I think we have a shoot that day. It may also be a problem to close the range to members if there is not a scheduled event for that day. Maybe Chaplin would be the better choice. Sorry.:(
"His tall gaunt form, his grey locks floating in the breeze, and the color of his steed distinguishing him from the other Americans, and the British gave him the name of  "Death on the Pale Horse".
(Account of the exploits of Hezekiah Wyman on the 19th of April 1775)

TOMINCT

Is there a reason that we couldn't do it with club members doing  their thing at the same time? Just curious. If we could do a KD and let any members/stragglers take it in while they are there it could be good for AS in general. What do you think?
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

CortJestir

That's a good thought, Tom, and something we can consider. I just figured waiting around for Cease Fires from other folks so they can change/inspect targets (and vice versa) could get tiresome for both parties...

TOMINCT

Yeah, we could do it on a saturday pm or during the week, especially in june/july. Light 'til 8:30, not much worry about a crowd. Finding a place centrally located so most could get there will be the hard part.
Ramseur 2-12!

kfish

Go ahead and count me in.  Other then Tuesday and Thursday evenings I am pretty much available.

vernic82

I'm all for it!!!

However, my vote's for a Sunday as May is Turkey Season and since hunting is verboten on Sunday you can find me in the woods every Saturday looking for Tom - turkey that is.......

They shoot a High Power match on Sunday mornings at the Fin in Chaplin, so it would have to be an afternoon.

Week days are out for me as I'm working in Boston Tuesday - Friday for the rest of the spring and most likely most of this coming summer this year.

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have an issue, there would be a range fee for non-members, probably $10 but I'll check with the Board members.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

CortJestir

Thanks for chiming in folks. Sounds like Sunday May 16, 2010 at The Fin, Fur and Feather club it is.[/b]

Fred, can you call up The Fin and make it happen? If we can have the range from 9a to 1p, that would be great. If we could have it the whole day, even better. I forget if The Fin won't let us shoot until 10a...

vernic82

Sunday morning is out as they have High Power Matches on Sunday mornings.   :-\

I'll have to call and see what time we could have it.

More in a day or two.

Quote from: CortJestir on April 26, 2010, 10:23:44 PM
Thanks for chiming in folks. Sounds like Sunday May 16, 2010 at The Fin, Fur and Feather club it is.

Fred, can you call up The Fin and make it happen? If we can have the range from 9a to 1p, that would be great. If we could have it the whole day, even better. I forget if The Fin won't let us shoot until 10a...
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

Somehow I missed that part, Fred.  :wb: Try for the afternoon then. I know you're gonna call, but when do they normally wrap up the High Power match?

vernic82

I think it's about 12n - 1pm but I'll confirm.

Quote from: CortJestir on April 26, 2010, 11:05:43 PM
Somehow I missed that part, Fred.  :wb: Try for the afternoon then. I know you're gonna call, but when do they normally wrap up the High Power match?

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

TOMINCT

Or we could shoot the hi power match in the am and do KD in the afternoon. The HP match is shot at 200 yards, 50 rounds for score and 10 sighters on the front end. You'll see why the AQT has positions and reloads during the rapid fire stages. A good way to get in some shooting without having a problem and the club gets a little money out of it at the same time. I think they get $10 for the match.
Ramseur 2-12!

vernic82

I'm all for that O0

Quote from: TOMINCT on April 27, 2010, 02:01:59 PM
Or we could shoot the hi power match in the am and do KD in the afternoon. The HP match is shot at 200 yards, 50 rounds for score and 10 sighters on the front end. You'll see why the AQT has positions and reloads during the rapid fire stages. A good way to get in some shooting without having a problem and the club gets a little money out of it at the same time. I think they get $10 for the match.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

That sounds like a plan. vernic, have you had a chance to see about securing the afternoon of May 16 for us?

vernic82

Spoke with the Rifle Chair (not on the board), he has no issue with us shooting after the HP match and said there's no real need for us to 'reserve' the range and shut it down just for us as we'll only have at best 7-9 shooters.  Only catch will probably be the range fee for non-members.  No luck catching up with the Board members yet but the gut tells me I think they'll prefer not to close the range to members (they really don't like to close anything to members) as they will probably defer to the Rifle Chair and his statement above.  I'll try again to connect with Moon on the board tomorrow and inform him of my conversation with the Rifle chair and our intentions on 5/16.

Quote from: CortJestir on April 28, 2010, 11:04:44 AM
That sounds like a plan. vernic, have you had a chance to see about securing the afternoon of May 16 for us?
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

crak

Back in the day we used to run Appleseeds without closing the range down to members!

It''ll be fine, just hang several targets at once.   8)
Check your drama at the door.

TOMINCT

Ditto what crak said. As a matter o fact it would be a good thing to let the memebers see a little of what we're about. It may get more of them to an AS.
Ramseur 2-12!

CortJestir

Alrighty, sounds like a plan then. Let's not interfere with members and if they want to join in, all the better. So we're on!  :~

vernic82

I'll need to get an accurate # of attendees ASAP so I can make sure all can get registered for the High Power match - I left a message for the Rifle Chair so we can secure our spots.

Tom raises a very good point - if they see perhaps they will come?

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

Alrighty, if you want to shoot High-Power in the morning, pipe up as soon as you can.

And for the AD/KD Portion in the afternoon, we have the following attending so far:
2paranoid
CortJestir
dwarven1 (?)
kfish
TOMINCT
vernic82

dwarven1

Not sure about showing up for the HighPower but put me down for the afternoon.

Damn... I have to start loading up some clips.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

TOMINCT

Check with the HP guy as I think he'd welcome any walk ins that happen along. I believe the range will accommodate almost 20 at 200 yards. Not sure but I think the first match is may 23rd.
Ramseur 2-12!

smithy

Quote from: CortJestir on April 29, 2010, 10:29:01 AM
Alrighty, if you want to shoot High-Power in the morning, pipe up as soon as you can.

And for the AD/KD Portion in the afternoon, we have the following attending so far:
2paranoid
CortJestir
dwarven1 (?)
kfish
TOMINCT
vernic82

smithy :---
When society serves individual there is freedom......
When individual serves society there is slavery....                                                        Ayn Rand
When 70 million gun owners in America will know how to shoot strait, the only target they will ever need to hit will be a paper target

vernic82

Just got off the phone with the Board Member, Moon & here's the skinny:

• There's NO High Power Match on Sunday 5/16
  • Guest Fee is $3 per person

Who's attending so far:
2paranoid
CortJestir
dwarven1
kfish
TOMINCT
vernic82
smithy

What remains:

• Start Time????
  • I suggest 1pm

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

crak

Put me at 75% for this.

What do you guys have for targets?
Check your drama at the door.

vernic82

I know I always forget something when I head to the range :wb:
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

Quote from: crak on April 29, 2010, 01:43:17 PM
What do you guys have for targets?

Gotta bunch of full-sized AQTs, but would like to save them for actual Appleseeds... What do you recommend? We can get things printed up if needed (one target per shooter) and just tape 'em to save costs.

Quote from: vernic82
What remains:

• Start Time????
  • I suggest 1pm

Yep, let's start at 1p so that folks don't have to get up at o'Dark:30 to make this one.