News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calverton, NY April 17 & 18, 2010

Started by West, April 17, 2010, 10:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West

Long Island New York, remembering Lexington and Concord!

37 shooters turned out today, despite the drizzle and cold.  Rifleman persist!

SB: kDan
Red Hat: West
IITs: VietVet, Bravo_Juliet_Mike, PinkTJ, ChrisO

Calverton Shooting Range, Range Owner: Harry

Had a late start this morning, but once we got started we got it moving!  New York likes to go go go, and we found out that if we're going too slow they will let you know.

We had 58 pre-regs, and due to the weather 37 of them showed.  But the ones that did show were high caliber stock.  We blasted them with the firehose, per norm, and everyone soaked it up, ready for more.  

Everyone was extremely pleased with the program today, just check out the thread on the Long Island Firearms Website: http://longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1271018001.71746/  
Also big thanks to the Long Island Firearms Forum for providing lunch today, it was a roaring success - the food was excellent, and it was free!  ^:)^ ^:)^

All of the instruction went exceptionally well despite the late start, and we were right on time with the volley, followed by a redcoat AQT.  On this, the first AQT, the local BOTG were able to take credit for two new riflemen, again, on the first AQT of the day! Looking for more tomorrow - both shooters and riflemen.

Congratulations to the two new rifleman, but let's not forget our instructors.  ChrisO and PinkTJ humbly volunteered to join the ranks of the instructor corps, putting on an orange hat.  Congrats again, and many thanks to the both of them for stepping up and taking the seventh step.  

The weather looks terrific for Sunday, so we should have another great day with a superb group of people.  Everyone that said they were returning for Sunday were very eager to come back; especially looking forward to blasting away at some more AQTs!  :---

Pics to follow.

West  :))

ChrisO

Today was another great day! I believe that we had a total of 8 people earn riflemen over the two days.

Here's a picture from yesterdays firing line.

dragonfly

Quote from: West on April 17, 2010, 10:23:21 PM
Long Island New York, remembering Lexington and Concord!

37 shooters turned out today, despite the drizzle and cold.  Rifleman persist!

SB: kDan
Red Hat: West
IITs: VietVet, Bravo_Juliet_Mike, PinkTJ, ChrisO

Calverton Shooting Range, Range Owner: Harry

Had a late start this morning, but once we got started we got it moving!  New York likes to go go go, and we found out that if we're going too slow they will let you know.

We had 58 pre-regs, and due to the weather 37 of them showed.  But the ones that did show were high caliber stock.  We blasted them with the firehose, per norm, and everyone soaked it up, ready for more.  

Everyone was extremely pleased with the program today, just check out the thread on the Long Island Firearms Website: http://longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1271018001.71746/  
Also big thanks to the Long Island Firearms Forum for providing lunch today, it was a roaring success - the food was excellent, and it was free!  ^:)^ ^:)^

All of the instruction went exceptionally well despite the late start, and we were right on time with the volley, followed by a redcoat AQT.  On this, the first AQT, the local BOTG were able to take credit for two new riflemen, again, on the first AQT of the day! Looking for more tomorrow - both shooters and riflemen.

Congratulations to the two new rifleman, but let's not forget our instructors.  ChrisO and PinkTJ humbly volunteered to join the ranks of the instructor corps, putting on an orange hat.  Congrats again, and many thanks to the both of them for stepping up and taking the seventh step.  

The weather looks terrific for Sunday, so we should have another great day with a superb group of people.  Everyone that said they were returning for Sunday were very eager to come back; especially looking forward to blasting away at some more AQTs!  :---

Pics to follow.

Great job West  ..:.. O0 :bow:
D-fly  @)
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

West

Thanks D-Fly!  And thanks to everyone that showed up again on Sunday - with the new arrivals we had a total of 45 people show up between the two days, that's a great showing.

This was the best Appleseed that I've been to - not just because of the group, but as I stated before, because of the caliber of the shooters this weekend.  We had some very dedicated shooters out there, and out of them we turned up EIGHT NEW RIFLEMEN!  Two of the riflemen put on an Orange Hat as well, and immediately started helping with the line duties!

I want to especially thank Vietvet for putting on a great show.  He did a lot of legwork for this shoot through LIF and various other mediums, and we had a large group, and everyone came with a teachable attitude.  I am hoping to see you on the trail Vietvet - I know you are planning to put that camper to good use, and will try to find you out there, I think you'll make a terrific traveling shoot boss! (He also put me up at his place for the weekend, which was an awesome thing to do, Vietvet you get an extra + in my book, making you A++!!)

I also want to thank kDan for running a tight ship, as always.  It is always a pleasure to work with a SB that really knows what he is about, and can show us the way. We were able to bounce off each other during the course of both days in the running of the shoot and the history.  I remarked that I am sad to be leaving the east coast, because it will mean that I am moving away from such a good group of people, and will miss the many opportunities that I could have to work with kDan in the future.  But, the trail goes on, and we will cross paths I am sure.

We shot a lot of AQTs.  In fact, we shot 12 on Sunday, and two redcoats.  Some shooters were getting frustrated, and took breaks, so not everyone shot all of the AQTs.  I know there were at least three shooters that came up to me at the end and were asking if we were going to shoot one more, or if we could...unfortunately it was nearing 5PM and the Range Owner wanted to close the gates, so we had to high tail it out of there.  These shooters were asking because they were in the high 190s or low 200s.  They were knocking on the door, but I think they will come back in June and crank them out!  :---

Well, I have to hit the road, going out west to Ol' Indiana....ana anana..  Unfortunately my phone is acting fuzzy atm so I will have to put pics up later.

Thanks again to everyone, and Congratulations!

West :))

West

Pikshurz komrad!

The first one is the pic of a burn I got on the back of my neck Saturday afternoon.. looks a lot like a .223 shell doesn't it!?
The second is a shooter on the line that used a Browning Automatic Rifle all weekend.  Awesome!
The third is the firing line on Sunday - cranking away those AQTs.

LongIslandFirearms

On behalf of LIF and its members, I would like to thank you for your kind words.  The Appleseed Project is of great importance to the tradition of American Liberty.

Our country was founded by men who believed it was important to be trained in arms and who provided for this freedom in our Constitution with the Second Amendment. Appleseed takes our founding fathers' visions and makes those who participate, train and educate true patriots.

If there is anything else we can do to ensure its survival on Long Island, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I can owe a thanks to VietVet for his continued support to the forum/club/Appleseed.  Thank you Rich!

Sincerely,
StevieB

See a picture gallery here:
http://longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1271634016.99648/

(Btw: LIF has a board dedicated toward Appleseed, so check it out just stop by www.LongIslandFirearms.com)

PS:
Keep in mind the following:

April 20th (Support Starbucks) visit: www.SupportStarbucks.com
April 25th (Long Island Cleanup) visit: www.KeepLongIslandClean.org
June 12th (Women On Target) visit: www.LongIslandWomenOnTarget.com
(all official LIF venues)

O0

bravo juliet mike

I sent West some pictures so hopefully he can post them as I am not smart enough to figure out how to do it. We had a great weekend with great shooters.

I figured it out. 

West

:))

West

:))

VietVet

This was a AS shoot that will be remembered forever by those that attended.
It was great.
kDan, thanks so much for your hard work in making this shoot such a huge success. Long Island seems to be on a path to soon be able to stand on it's own thanks to you. Your leadership at these Shoots has taught us well.

WEST...Thanks for boarder raiding to NY to help us out on this shoot. Also congrats on getting your RED HAT . Something you truly deserve and you demonstrated it to us this weekend. It was our pleasure to have you here in NY. Come back soon!

I had the honor of being one of the IIT at this event and an honor it was. We all know it was a special weekend for Appleseed. These two Red Hats made it extra special for the Shooters that attended.

So much happened it's very hard to cover it all. Let me just send out a big THANK YOU to the RWVA. What a weekend!

We made a total of 8 new RIFLEMAN over the weekend and most took the ORANGE HAT.

Here are a few photos from this shoot, not in any particular order but I'm sure you'll get the "Picture".

The first is WEST getting his Red Hat . The next 8 are our new Rifleman. I'll post more as I get the time. Enjoy.....

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

kDan

Why didn't somebody tell me that rifle was pink!!!  OMG! - does this mean I'm...?  no...  no...  shake it off Dan.  And what's that thing sticking out of my head?  Kinda looks like some kinda high tech satellite radar device for keeping my eye on the front sight or mind focussed on mental snapshots or something.  A brain implant device?  o, it's a pen.  I spent most of Sunday looking for that pen.

I am in the driver's seat of a Motor Home in Duchess County looking out the panoramic front window at a green, lush valley descending a rolling slope of open grass to the Hudson River.  The Catskills loom across the way and I can watch the clouds move their dark shadows up and across the undulating glacial footprint that is the Appalachian Range.  The young models have had their hair and make-up done and have gone inside for the photo shoot.  The hair-guy is asleep on the couch in the back.  I sit here with my coffee, looking at such beauty, and I think...  "If this was my place, I would dig out that depression and put up a burm along that side.  Could take this place to five hundred yards easy.  I wonder if you could hear a volley of .30 cals across the river."  A bunny hops along the tree-line.  All Appleseed all the time, baby!  

West, you can't go to Indiana.  You just can't.  I'll explain later.  Okay, I'll explain now.  You are not only staying on the East Coast, but you're moving into VietVet's camper. O, and Rich, you can't leave either.  You guys are now room-mates.  It's been decided by the super secret NYC lawyer/banker cabal that actually runs Appleseed.  Fred is a hologram.  Just thought I'd let you know so you won't be surprised by the silent helicopter hovering outside your windows at this very moment.  Just go along quietly.  Everyone else, you will now forget what you just read.  "BZZZOW!"

I have some statistics in my shoot box regarding the Red Coat numbers, but my shoot box is in the trunk of my car which is in the movie star Motor Home parking lot to which I drove last night immediately after the event.  Then I drove up here.  I'm still exhausted, but exhilarated.  This was one of my more favoritist events too.  I believe that now, between NYC and Long Island, we have something like 11 IIT's.  Seven on LI - let's see...  VietVet, Bravo Juliet Mike, PinkTJ, Chris O, Lentil, Bob, and Brian...  is that right?  Well, don't any of you guys go getting your Red Hats too fast or I'll have no place to go until they open that new range under the New York Nets arena on Atlantic Ave in downtown Brooklyn.  I can't wait, but I think it's gonna take a while for Bloomburg to get all the paperwork through, what with the budget crisis and all.  He's busy.

Does anybody have a picture of the facial ammo burn...  geez, if ever there was an argument for wrap-around sunglasses.  

Uh oh, here come the models - gotta comb my hair.  More later.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

ChrisO

Yeah, Congrats West on your red hat! I just wanted to thank you and the rest of the instructors for helping me out. I really appreciate all the input and advice since this was my first event as an IIT. Now I'm really looking forward to the June event!

bravo juliet mike

This gentleman, John I think, caught a .223 casing between his glasses and his face. Ouch!

LAD62DER

This Saturday (unfortunately my schedule wouldn't allow me to get back for Sunday) was probably the most fun I've had shooting since the first time my father took me shooting when I was about 8 years old  :'(.  It was a day I will never forget, not just because I made Rifleman on my first AQT, but because it brought back the memories of a father teaching his son to shoot, and started a whole new mind set and memories that I will take with me forever.  I was able to share that experience with my girlfriend, and meet other people that have the same passion as I.  I can tell you one thing is for certain, there will be 2 of us coming back in June for the next one! Actually I can't wait and neither can she!!  After that one day I now want to get my orange hat and work to help other people get that same feeling I had.  Thanks You to those who showed up to make this event GREAT!  Especially the Shoot Boss, the Red Hat, and all the IIT's, you all are the reason for the success!  Also a big thanks to Steve the Architect for making LIF, without you I never would have found Appleseed, or the great people of LI that enjoy this sport so much, and VietVet for your hard work in making the push to the LIF community.  I can't wait to see my girlfriend get her Rifleman patch, and to work toward me scoring higher and higher from the tutelage of the Appleseed staff.

THANK YOU!!!

ChrisO

Congrats Lad62der on making rifleman! Glad you had a good time and looking forward to seeing you and your gf at the next event.

gunville

A lot of yellow hats! 

Looks like Long Island is well on it's way to a self-running operation! 

A New York success!
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

milspecnsn

Quote from: bravo juliet mike on April 19, 2010, 02:08:10 PM
This gentleman, John I think, caught a .223 casing between his glasses and his face. Ouch!

Yep,

That would be me. I didn't feel it right away as I was concentratin' on mowing down Redcoats at that moment ("rifleman's bubble" I think you called it). It'll make my first AS even more memorable. Had a great time. Many thanks to all of you for making this weekend such a success. Looking forward to the next one.

Another D.O.M.

Another fabulous Appleseed by and for the folks in New York's 'southern tier'!  You always seem to put on a fantastic program on The Island.  My thanks, and the thanks of the Appleseed community, to the instructors and shooters alike; and congratulations to the new Riflemen in our midst.

Until next we meet along The Trail...
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

George63

-----------------------------

West

QuoteA lot of yellow hats!

Yellow..?  I must be color blind!

Quotethe red racer has 3 more notches in the stock out of the 13 total at alton

George - Glad to see you were about this, our anniversary of Patriots' Day!  That little gun will be my bane - I won't give up on myself until I shoot that 247 with my stock Bushmaster AR-15..  ;D ;) ++)

QuoteIt'll make my first AS even more memorable

Milspecnsn - I'll agree with that.  I'm glad that wasn't an inch or so higher, would have done more damage.  But, this is the best example of 'rifleman's bubble' and our perserverance...

I know I was running around like a little monkey with his back on fire Saturday because of my burn mark.  You shook it off like it with that NY attitude 'GIT OUTTA HEA!' If it hadn't been for the gentleman EMT/LEO that was there with the burn pad I would have been a cooked goose!  Also don't want to forget that this guy came on Sat with a friend's sister and son, didn't shoot, then came back Sunday when they couldn't and brought coffee for everyone!  Appleseeders truly are solid stock - please post up here so we know who you are!  Thanks very much!

QuoteOkay, I'll explain now...It's been decided by the super secret NYC lawyer/banker cabal that actually runs Appleseed...Fred is a hologram...be surprised by the silent helicopter hovering outside your windows...Everyone else, you will now forget what you just read.  "BZZZOW!"

kDan, buddy, I don't think you drank the kool-aid, I think you got into the anti-freeze...

Would you mind elaborating?  This sounds like a very good start to a very interesting movie..."Coming of the Fred Kind - The newest in sci-fi alien abduction stories, coming this fall to a youtube account near YOU!"

Hahahaha....

West  :))

dragonfly

Congrat's West, you look good in Red 8) O0 :bow:

Now get back to work ~~:).

See you in a couple of weeks :)

D-fly Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

bravo juliet mike

Quote from: West on April 20, 2010, 01:48:37 AM

I know I was running around like a little monkey with his back on fire Saturday because of my burn mark.  You shook it off like it with that NY attitude 'GIT OUTTA HEA!' If it hadn't been for the gentleman EMT/LEO that was there with the burn pad I would have been a cooked goose!  Also don't want to forget that this guy came on Sat with a friend's sister and son, didn't shoot, then came back Sunday when they couldn't and brought coffee for everyone!  Appleseeders truly are solid stock - please post up here so we know who you are!  Thanks very much!

And in addition to all of that he brought out a loaner AR for a shooter that was having problems. We need to get him back and put an orange hat on his head. Just more proof that Appleseeders are great people.

West

Haven't heard anything yet from Kdan...he either was abducted by a Fred or he is working hard.  I think the last statement is Probably wrong because he, in Kdan fashion, made all the IITs do the work this weekend!  

The gent you see in the background of that face burn pic was scoring in the 190s I believe and asked for another AQT. I know vietvet will give him that opportunity in June.

One thing to say about that range: if you have a 2wd vehicle make sure someone is around when you attempt to vacate. Two people got stuck in that soft sand - I was one of them. Sat night I got stuck and luckily vietvet saw me as he was leaving and came back to help.

There's so much more to say, it was an incredible event. I have to go cut the grass, so I'll get back on here asap!

West :))

West

sgtrock

Congratulation  on the Red Hat West looks good on ya,

Is that Bob O. with an Orange Hat, WOW!!!! That is Awesome, Congratulations all around.  sgtrock

ChrisO

Hey sgtrock. Me and my dad got our orange hats. hope to see you on the island at one of the next shoots!

bravo juliet mike

Do we have a round count for the weekend?

When's the next event?

West

QuoteIs that Bob O. with an Orange Hat, WOW!

Yep!  Chris O, Bob O, PinkTJ, and (one of the) John(s) put on orange hats this weekend.  I'm sure glad they did - it was great to have the extra hands to start bailing.  I know I was beat, but I kept my game face on, and the other instructors were tuckered out as well.  All that marksmanship and heritage takes a lot of energy, but for some reason there's always ample energy to keep on going no matter what.  I went back to Vietvet's place and, despite the cackling women that were there (his wife was having a crafting meeting, kinda neat) I fell asleep earlier than I thought I would.

I really am glad to see that NY is up and coming.  Especially Long Island.  It's really too bad that I am having to leave the east coast, especially having to leave Delaware behind.  It would be great to get some of those instructors to come down to the First State, and fold them into the ranks of the Blue Hen's Chickens!  But now, I hope my legacy can live on.

I want to give a shout out to a few people that attended this weekend.  Once you read this, please PM me so I can stay in touch!  

Sean, the bearded guy at the right end, great job, and you'll get that rifleman patch.  You're looking good, and I know you can get it done.

The husband/wife/redheaded daughters team - I hope you had a terrific weekend.  You all were doing superb, just concentrate on the fundamentals and continue to persist!

Lisa - your first group after SHF and sling use was great.  You'll be a riflewoman, no question.  Dry fire! I also hope your son is feeling better.

The gent I was spotting for on the last AQT - get a GI sling, don't break sling position, and keep on that rifleman cadence.  A 200 score with
good fundamentals is just your target telling you to work on your timing, and keeping your position will fix that.

Yosef - get out there for a full Appleseed.  You'll see that you'll get those groups to shrink.

Father/son in the digi grey camo shirts - congrats on shooting rifleman!  I know your son will have it.  His position was good, he obviously knows how to shoot.  Now, just a short time until he grows into that rifle, and I'll be glad to hear the two of you are out on the trail.  Also, thanks!  That was a real gift, and it was nice to see you on the highway.  Wish I had a jeep... :P Btw those mats are really nice!

Tommy - that M1A looks good on you!  And congrats, you earned that rifleman patch, without a doubt.  I can't wait to bump into you again.  Maybe you can give me some tips about being a good NCO, and I hope that I helped you out this weekend.

The gent with the CETME - that muzzle blast was like a CANNON!  I'm glad you're on my side!  I was sitting next to you coaching a shooter and.. like I said I think I got more sand in my undies than a day at the beach.  Well worth it, glad to see you shooting it.  Too bad about your Garand, looking forward to seeing you again.  You were a huge help with the tech sights, etc.  Thanks.

Bravo Juliet Mike - your third strike was excellent.  Everyone paid attention, and we were all into the story.  Thanks for taking us back to that fateful day.

PinkTJ - thanks for stepping up.  Your help with the line was essential for making this shoot safe, and your help coaching the shooters was of no small consequence.

ChrisO - same to you.  You called the line well, and I was glad to see that you did it with pride, and style that I can say belongs only to New York.  

Remember, Red Hats steer the ship, but you Orange Hats make it happen.  If it wasn't for you we would probably have to run a line from the engine to the steering wheel and run them both at once.  And I'm not the best mechanic. (Just see AAR Manheim, December)

Well.. I know I forgot a bunch of you.  And, I wanted to say that next time I am back there, I'm going to make it a point to do some more one-on-one instruction with people that need it.  That was something I was disappointed about, but we had so many shooters, and so much going on, that my duties kept me busy.  Not bad at all, I just don't mind getting down in the dirt and coaching!

Please remember Long Island Firearms, really helped make this shoot memorable.  www.longislandfirearms.com
If you want to see more pictures, Vietvet posted a bunch more over there: http://longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1271627965.40053/s-25/#num36

West

Quote from: bravo juliet mike on April 21, 2010, 09:53:20 AM
Do we have a round count for the weekend?

Alright - I'll do my best guess at round count.  What I came up with is pretty close.

4 Redcoats - 52
13 AQTs - 520
10 Squares - 50
2 Greencoats - 40 (top of each)
Volley for liberty - 14

So it comes out to about 696.  I may have missed something, but I don't think it was a COF that was more than 20 rounds.  So 700-720 rounds this weekend.  kDan has the redcoats, he said he would get those numbers up.

Quote from: bravo juliet mike on April 21, 2010, 09:53:20 AMWhen's the next event?

From what I understand the next event there at Calverton is in June, though I am not sure which weekend.  I'll make sure that I get in touch with Vietvet so he knows that someone has to follow up with the range and set up the schedule on the Appleseed Schedule and Eventbrite.

West  :))

West

Here's a picture of a goofball I know